Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chad Dawson Question?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
During the Showtime card tonight, it was mentioned that Chad Dawson is the former WBC light-heavyweight champion and that Tarver's IBF belt, along with the lesser known IBO belt will be on the line when they meet in October. Why is Dawson no longer champion? Wasn't his last fight the controversial UD win over Glen Johnson? Was Chad stripped?

Jack
woooooo
Chad relinquished the belt because if he didnt fight the WBC enforced mandatory Adrian Diaconu, he would've been stripped. I believe he asked for an exception for a unification fight but the WBC didnt agree to it, so in order for the Tarver fight to go on, he had to drop the belt.
sweetchuck
Yeah, Chad was supposed to defend against Diaconu last year, but Diaconu got injured and had to pull out. Diaconu's been the mandatory for over a year and won an interim title
blackbelt2003
This is the problem with only fighting twice per year like modern day fighters do. You can't fight mandatories AND your own picks.

Notice that guys who fought regularly, like Hopkins, Jones Jr etc all managed to hold onto multiple belts AND make superfights. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Now, even if Dawson DOES beat Tarver, there will remain a big, fat question mark called Adrian Diaconu on his log.

Black
King Eugene
QUOTE(blackbelt2003 @ Sep 14 2008, 08:29 AM) [snapback]404319[/snapback]
This is the problem with only fighting twice per year like modern day fighters do. You can't fight mandatories AND your own picks.
Notice that guys who fought regularly, like Hopkins, Jones Jr etc all managed to hold onto multiple belts AND make superfights. There's a lesson in there somewhere.
Now, even if Dawson DOES beat Tarver, there will remain a big, fat question mark called Adrian Diaconu on his log.
Black

And another thing about that is most people know or feel like Chad would have beaten him but critics will bring it up just to cause controversy and to have a story.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Sep 16 2008, 01:10 AM) [snapback]404468[/snapback]
And another thing about that is most people know or feel like Chad would have beaten him but critics will bring it up just to cause controversy and to have a story.

aggressive.gif to the critics..Leave those bitches lookin like this black eye.gif

There needs to be a critic vs. boxers night soo the boxers can really silence the critics..
Jack 1000
I believe that Chad Dawson should rematch with Glen Johnson. Most people believe that Glen did enough to win the WBC title in their fight. I recall a 4 point spread for Dawson on all three cards, which seemed too wide. Title or no title, this rematch should happen, not a Tarver fight. Tarver's best was KO'ing Roy Jones into Never-Never-Land in fight#2. I honestly have not been impressed with Tarver very much before or since.

Jack
blackbelt2003
Tarver did look good against CLinton Woods though, the best I've seen him since he last fought Glen Johnson.

Light-heavyweight is a mess. You've got Tarver, Dawson and Calzaghe all claiming the top spot, and then you've got a bunch of guys just underneath, some who call themselves champs, some are just top contenders, and we need some sort of structure, not champs giving up belts which just adds to the mess, because then you get new guys winning their old titles and proclaiming themselves new champs.

What we really need is for somebody like Glen Johnson or Roy Jones to knock off dull WBA titlist Hugo Garay and future WBC champ Adrian Diaconu, and then the three champs get together and unify the belts, include Ring/People's/Unofficial/Official/Linear 'Champion' Calzaghe and hey presto...clarity.

Jeez, and you thought heavyweight was a mess.

Black
King Eugene
QUOTE(blackbelt2003 @ Sep 16 2008, 07:14 AM) [snapback]404476[/snapback]
What we really need is for somebody like Glen Johnson or Roy Jones to knock off dull WBA titlist Hugo Garay and future WBC champ Adrian Diaconu, and then the three champs get together and unify the belts, include Ring/People's/Unofficial/Official/Linear 'Champion' Calzaghe and hey presto...clarity.

I agree...I would love this!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Sep 16 2008, 03:57 AM) [snapback]404475[/snapback]
I believe that Chad Dawson should rematch with Glen Johnson. Most people believe that Glen did enough to win the WBC title in their fight. I recall a 4 point spread for Dawson on all three cards, which seemed too wide. Title or no title, this rematch should happen, not a Tarver fight. Tarver's best was KO'ing Roy Jones into Never-Never-Land in fight#2. I honestly have not been impressed with Tarver very much before or since.

Jack

I think Johnson clearly beat Dawson..No doubt about it..

Tarvers best win is over Johnson..How could ya not be impressed with those fights??Thats crazy..I think Tarver won both but I can see how some say Johnson won the first one..How many fighters at light heavyweight could beat the Tarver from the Johnson rematch??NONE in my opinion..I think he might of beat B-Hop if that Tarver showed up and not the drained,slow,not as sharp Tarver that did..Ya guys need to give Tarver his props..
BigG
Johnson beat Tarver in fight 1...7-5...Tarver won fight 2 CLEARLY...8-4/7-5.
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 16 2008, 11:23 PM) [snapback]404512[/snapback]
Ya guys need to give Tarver his props..

Tarver gets his props. He's a good fighter. Its just that he isn't the great fighter he claims to be and with his reputation it doesn't matter what he does, he'll never be considered as a legend or an ATG. But you cant take too much away from Tarver.

I still dont like that fucka tho! fuck.gif
Big Slim Sweet
Tarver gets his props around here only when the few of us who actually like him start banging the drums a little bit, cause everyone knows deep down if nothing else he's a good fighter.

I honestly don't know why he turns off so many folks (except RJ fans, I get that). Tarver is a funny dude, easily one of the best and probably the most intellectual trash talkers in the sport. That stuff he said about Roy's chickens seeing therapists to deal with their master losing was some legitimately good stuff.

Shit talking in boxing can be broken down into different categories I think. There's the outright 'I'm a bad motherfucker' type of shit-talking that James Toney is the best at. There's the playful (or not so playful), 'I'm smarter than you and I'm going to annoy and frustrate you' type of talking that Tarver and Nate Campbell are the best at. And there's the intense, psychological evil shit that Bernard Hopkins has mastered (Mike Tyson used to be pretty good at this as well).

I honestly think Tarver lost his fight with Hopkins at the press conference when Hop lay that psychology on him. Hops is a mean and ugly cat. I think Tarver was expecting this little old man to show up doing the Foreman bit, and it shook him to see Hops glaring at him, and then realizing that this mean and ugly old man is dreaming of kicking his ass, and believes that he will kick his ass. You don't want Bernard Hopkins looking at you that way.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(blackbelt2003 @ Sep 16 2008, 06:14 AM) [snapback]404476[/snapback]

Calzaghe _isn't_ the Linear champ @ 175lbs....
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 16 2008, 10:23 PM) [snapback]404512[/snapback]
I think he might of beat B-Hop if that Tarver showed up and not the drained,slow,not as sharp Tarver that did..

Bullshit...
D-MARV
Tarver won both Johnson fights IMHO!!!!

I think Dawson won the Johnson fight by a narrow margin but a really good fight.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 16 2008, 11:23 PM) [snapback]404512[/snapback]
I think he might of beat B-Hop if that Tarver showed up and not the drained,slow,not as sharp Tarver that did..Ya guys need to give Tarver his props..

Tarver would have competed but he wouldnt beat BHOP on his best day!
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 17 2008, 06:38 PM) [snapback]404549[/snapback]
Tarver would have competed but he wouldnt beat BHOP on his best day!

Nope, not at all!
Snowsy
Stop...

...Dawson beat Johnson cleanly. Just because a guy complains doesn't mean it's legitimate.

and as far as Diacano is concerned, he's just an "exposed" fighter waiting to happen, which is a shame because I like him - but you'll see people hopping off that bandwagon as if they never got on pretty soon. Sorry Adrian.

Dawson, if Tarver even bothers to engage, will knock Tarver out. But chances are Tarver follows script and loses a clear decision but claims that we fans and media members just don't "understand the sublety" of his game.

whatever. Dawson by... umm...clear????... decision.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Snowsy @ Sep 17 2008, 08:11 PM) [snapback]404558[/snapback]
Stop...
...Dawson beat Johnson cleanly. Just because a guy complains doesn't mean it's legitimate.
and as far as Diacano is concerned, he's just an "exposed" fighter waiting to happen, which is a shame because I like him - but you'll see people hopping off that bandwagon as if they never got on pretty soon. Sorry Adrian.

Dawson, if Tarver even bothers to engage, will knock Tarver out. But chances are Tarver follows script and loses a clear decision but claims that we fans and media members just don't "understand the sublety" of his game.
whatever. Dawson by... umm...clear????... decision.

Are you serious??Why do you think EVERYONE booed the decision??Johnson out worked Dawson and won by 2 points in my book..Dawson clearly won the beginning of the fight and a few later rounds but Johnson did all the rest..If Dawson was able to keep up the pace and speed he had in the beginning it would of been a really impressive fight for him but he was in with Johnson..Johnson makes you work the whole 12 rounds and if you don't want to work,you won't be able to get him out of your face..He may be slow but he is relentless,just like Margarito..

No one has KO'd Tarver and Tarver has fought harder punchers than Dawson,so what makes you think Dawson has the "magic" to KO the Magic Man??A old Eric Harding went the distance with Dawson and a 4 year younger Harding got lit up by Tarver in their second fight..Yeah,Tarver lost the first Harding fight,but he got a broken jaw early in that fight..Tarver is a fucking BEAST..Fighting with a broken jaw and losing by 3 rounds..Only 2 people have KO'd Harding too,Tarver and Roy Jones..Check out the Harding KO in the video..

Also,I think Tarver would of competed with B-Hop but I think B-Hop had the edge in skill..

Tarver HL video---music really sucks though
BigG
Still cant believe people are giving Tarver a chance to even be competitive and even beat a PRIME B-Hop when he couldn't even win a round off a 41 year old Hopkins....

Tarver just can't fuck with Hopkins. Hopkins has the skills, ring smarts, and toughness to beat Tarver. He took away Tarver's jab and made it an ugly rough fight. Tarver was beat up at the end. Now just imagine a more aggressive Hopkins...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 17 2008, 10:59 PM) [snapback]404572[/snapback]
Still cant believe people are giving Tarver a chance to even be competitive and even beat a PRIME B-Hop when he couldn't even win a round off a 41 year old Hopkins....

B-Hop is your favorite fighter though right??Besides,we already had this talk..Tarver had the worst night of his life in that fight..I even told ya all he was partying with a football team a few days before the fight..Very stupid,especially after losing all that weight too..My guy Darnell Wilson talked to him and Tarver told him that..Check Chad Dawson's fights in 04' and you'll see Darnell on the list..That was Darnells only loss in his pro career..Now he is 42 now soo he may or may not have another fight,but he wants one..

I am not saying Tarver would beat B-Hop,but he would of been wayyyyy more competetive had he taken the fight serious..I hope you don't think he took the fight seriously cause you could see it in the ring that he wasn't ready..
BigG
I honestly think Tarver lost his fight with Hopkins at the press conference when Hop lay that psychology on him. Hops is a mean and ugly cat. I think Tarver was expecting this little old man to show up doing the Foreman bit, and it shook him to see Hops glaring at him, and then realizing that this mean and ugly old man is dreaming of kicking his ass, and believes that he will kick his ass. You don't want Bernard Hopkins looking at you that way.

JonnyBlaze
If ya got a mental edge in a fight,the fight is just about done and in the books..B-Hop is a master of getting a mental edge and he knows it..Boxing is 90% mental and 10% physical..
Snowsy
People always boo when Glenn Johnson loses... it's part of his cache..

Dawson wasn't as dominant as he was SUPPOSED to be in that fight. Guess what? Another Glenn Johnson calling card. He's nobody's easy Saturday night date. I hate when people say, "yeah, but he was supposed to dominate - and didn't, so he should have lost." That sucks. The judges got this fight completely right.

Dawson pretty clearly won. Not sure if you're familiar with fight crowds, but there is usually a lot of beer, and guys who like to boo more than they like to cheer. Nature of the game I suppose... but I'm not taking my cues from them. I'll trust my own eyes and my eyes told me that Dawson did plenty enough to win. I don't do much with "message board rules" but please don't ever refute what I say with a "but didn't you hear the crowd?" statement if you can possibly help it. I'll admit when I'm wrong, but when a boxing crowd boos a decision I don't give it much weight and won't consider it much of a debate point.
Snowsy
And it doesn't hurt that Johnson is the most likeable guy on the planet.

It was actually the first time I came away from a Johnson fight with a bad taste. He literally said, "OK, so he's good. But I've been through this before and I'm old. Haven't I earned one of these calls to go my way just because I'm on my way out and he's on his way up?"

Uh, no.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 18 2008, 10:44 PM) [snapback]404678[/snapback]
I didn't see the fight, but I think I understand what you're saying and it's something I said for a while.

When ever you have a fight. One guy is a heavy favourite and expected to win. If this guy has a tough fight, it's a robbery. It's as if the underdog has to do little to bank close rounds.
I remember this happening with Hatton-Collazo. Hatton dropping Collazo in the 1st, and then won just about the first 5 rounds. But some how it was a massive robbery to people. The guy scored a knock down and banked most of the rounds in the first half, and he got a gift? DLH-Whitaker is another.
If a favourite is in a much tougher fight that expected. You will see people say that he got a gift. It's as if people give rounds on whether it's what they expected or not. The favourite doesn't win a clear round like you thought and instead it was a close round. So give it to the guy that DIDN'T disappoint you.

Well this wasn't the case for this fight Fitz..

I completely understand what you guys are saying but that's not what happened in this fight..I think this fight had some close rounds but most rounds were distinctive in who won them..I could see how some people would go for Dawson based on the close rounds,but I think Johnson won a narrow 2 point decision..Dawson won by 2 points on all the judges score cards though..So it was decided on those closer rounds..
BigG
The fight wasn't a robbery. Dawson did land more punches...Johnson landed the harder ones..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 18 2008, 11:13 PM) [snapback]404683[/snapback]
The fight wasn't a robbery. Dawson did land more punches...Johnson landed the harder ones..

Yeah,like I said,I think the decision was based off the close rounds..Its just that I gave them to Johnson..There was no robbery since I could see how people would go the other way..I just think Johnson won..Extremely close and both guys gave it their all..Nothin more can be said about it..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.