Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats happened and whats to come...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
King Eugene
Ok I can admit that I havent't followed boxing as long as a lot of you on here but I feel like I'm a pretty big fan and I know a great deal. Boxing has come along ways and evolved since I became the fan I am. I've seen fighters rise and fall, I've seen overhyped boxers be exposed, I've seen overhyped boxer live up to the hype, and I've seen the best and worse out of all the main/top divisions in boxing.

Recently the lightweight division has created a huge buzz, almost as big of a buzz in the welterweight division when Floyd was still fighting (not to say it isn't still buzzing). Now there are so many potential huge fights that could go down in a stacked lightweight division. The WW's are kind of declining since the best just wont agree to fight the best anymore. I still think its the best division next to lightweight. Jr. WW is kind of dull at the moment IMO, the only thing they have going on is Hitman vs. Magic Man but please do correct me if I'm wrong. I wish Winky would come back to Jr. Middleweight. Pavlick has emerged as the man at Middleweight, he and Arthur Abraham are like Jones vs. Toney. I say this because after them two there is no other major threat at the middle weight title just like after Toney and Jones fought there where no legit threats at SMW. I dont know which would be Jones or Toney if they fought but I doubt it would be as one sided. I guess you could say Joe is the man at SMW now but I wont dare say he runs the LHW nor will his match with Jones determine who runs it either. Like it or not and as much as I hate to say it the winner of Tarver is the most proved at this point than all the other LHW. Hopefully Dawson will change that though. Everyone says the heavyweights are a joke cause of inconsistency but like him or not Wlad is going to be on top of that weak division for a while. Personally I think its getting better, it may never be like it once was but its getting back on track to one dear in the future (5 years or so) to be one of the premier divisions.

Now with all that said boxing lately hasn't been as bad as many people say it has been. I mean yea of course prize fighting has a lot to do with some of the match-ups being made cause now everything is about money but there has been some pretty good fights lately with more to come. 2008 has been a pretty good year for boxing besides the Olympics. It seems like there have been more attempts to make unification bouts, and Showtime is doing an excellent job of giving the most meaningful fights and not just the most marketable fights. I mean think about it, when was the last time you've had fights like Pac-Marquez 2, Cotto-Margarito, Pavlick-Taylor 2, Vasquez-Marquez, and a lot of good Wed and Fri. night fights in one year like this year? Hell and there is more to come. I think this has been one of the best years in a while for boxing and proof that it is still the premier fight sport (and I am a huge MMA fan).

I just want to know and discuss you guys thoughts about the state of boxing this year, years to come, and the past few years that have passed. I think this may be the best year of boxing within the last 5 years or so. And with all the anticipated mega bouts to come, I'm loving boxing more and more.
Mean Mister Mustard
There will always be people who complain about boxing, mainly the boxing writers who have to complain about something in order to write their articles. The main acriticism is that decision suck, the lack of quality heavyweights, there's no good Olympians anymore, there's no DLH or Leonard in the horizon ans so on. All of those things may be true but that doesn't seem to stop boxing from creating some kick ass fights.

I mean think about it, some people will never be satisfied. I for one still remember the great drought of 98 where there were no good figts between TOP guys. If you look at this decade boxing has had some of its best years. 2000 saw some good mega fights happen, DLH-Mosley, Vargas-Trinidad right off the top of my head. Also the outstanding Morales-Barrera war. 2001, one of my favourite years were 12 months of upsets that saw the downfall of the biggest stars of the mid 90's. It bascially reminded us that no fighter is safe from losing. Anyway, I could go on about each individual year but you get my point. Boxing delivers, which is why we still watch it.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 17 2008, 10:22 PM) [snapback]404561[/snapback]
Boxing delivers, which is why we still watch it.

Gotta love it!
EpTXCHAMP
I agree the welter division is the best but cant get over that hump till floyd gets back and fights the best whether it proves to be margs clottey or whoever. I mean cotto margs was a war! yet espn and all other major spots outlets gave it tops 1-3 mins of coverage

winky keeps prcing himself out but i sure wouldnt mind winky pavilk hell even winky vs jaidon anybody lol

in 08 boxing has taken 2 steps foward lets jus hope dlh pac doesnt make it take 3 steps back!
JonnyBlaze
Boxing isn't in a "prime" era these days in my opinion like the Ali era and the Suger Ray Robinson era but it is a lot better than what most say..I think the 90's was a very big era in boxing too,it really brought boxing back I think with guys like James Toney,Roy Jones,Lennox Lewis,Mike Tyson,Evander Holyfield,Sweet Pea Whitaker,Emanuel Augustus,Kostya Tsyzu,Shane Mosley,Mike McCallum,and soo many others that I could list but don't want to make a whole post of names..Also guys like Micky Ward,Steve Collins,Erik Morales,M.A. Barrera,and Gatti I think might have converted some casual fans to true fans because of their warrior spirit and showing people wars in the ring they hadn't seen in awhile..Don't get me wrong though,I have loved EVERY era in boxing but I think some stand out more than others..

I kinda disagree with you about the WW division..The best do fight the best but you are right,some guys are fighting pointless fights just to get another W on their record..I also think boxing has had a amazing year so far..Also,I think the heavyweight division is better than what everyone says..Klitchko deserves his props,he is the man to bring all the belts back together based on skill,not luck(1 punch)..He has all the right tools..Also,his chin is decent but not great soo people need to stop saying he has a weak chin..I don't think Lennox Lewis had a weak chin but he got KO'd twice..

The friday and weds. night fights have been really really good this year I gotta agree..

Mean Mister said it right,boxing delivers and will continue to..MMA will never win me over(I don't watch it)..Boxing is where it is at!!Good topic 3king3
King Eugene
QUOTE(EpTXCHAMP @ Sep 17 2008, 11:13 PM) [snapback]404565[/snapback]
in 08 boxing has taken 2 steps foward lets jus hope dlh pac doesnt make it take 3 steps back!

To true boxing fans it may seem like its taking a step back but to the mainstream media its elevating the sport. A lot of folks wont understand everything that happen before the fight, the fight build up, and the huge differences between the two fighters that make up the advantages and disadvantages. All the mainstream cares about and want to see his a slugfest and somebody being knocked out. If thats what they get then best believe gradually boxing will start to recieve more coverage and air play like it use to.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Sep 17 2008, 10:40 PM) [snapback]404568[/snapback]
To true boxing fans it may seem like its taking a step back but to the mainstream media its elevating the sport. A lot of folks wont understand everything that happen before the fight, the fight build up, and the huge differences between the two fighters that make up the advantages and disadvantages. All the mainstream cares about and want to see his a slugfest and somebody being knocked out. If thats what they get then best believe gradually boxing will start to recieve more coverage and air play like it use to.

Kinda sucks it has to be that way,but it is true..The "casual" fan has their dream match all setup..DLH vs. Pac-man..I really would like boxing to get the kinda attention it used to get though soo if this is how it has to be then whatever..I won't be paying for that shit though!!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 17 2008, 10:58 PM) [snapback]404571[/snapback]
Kinda sucks it has to be that way,but it is true..The "casual" fan has their dream match all setup..DLH vs. Pac-man..I really would like boxing to get the kinda attention it used to get though soo if this is how it has to be then whatever..I won't be paying for that shit though!!

By the way,I buy most fights because I'm THIRSTY on fight night!!I didn't buy Casamayor/Marquez though..Sounded like a really good fight though,I'll catch a replay though..
BigG
I'm really happy with the way boxing is now.

I enjoy the lower weights with Montiel, Mijares, Arce (he just had a CRAZY fight against Rafael Conception the guy who KOd AJ Banal)m Calderon, and even Darchinny

Then at Lightweight you got Marquez, Campbell, Baby Bull Diaz

Welterweight you got Margarito, Pacquiao (lol), Cotto, Berto, Williams, Judah, Clottey

LightHeavyweights you got Dawson, Tarver, Jones, Calzaghe, Hopkins

There are alot of great matchups that can be made...

I will say this though...boxing WOULD be better with Floyd in it and you know it
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 17 2008, 11:14 PM) [snapback]404575[/snapback]
I will say this though...boxing WOULD be better with Floyd in it and you know it

Definitely!!!
King Eugene
I'm begging to see one unified champion in either the WW or LHW division. I wish they would come up with some type Tournament of Champions where everybody puts their belt on the line with out all the mandatories. I look at that with a negative and a positive. The negative, for a while up and comers and number 1 contenders wouldn't get a shot for a while unless the tournament included the major belts #1 and #2 contender to make the tournament more interesting. But the positive would be we would have one linear champion, only one person saying I am the champ, I'm the king of the hill, and if you want it come and get it.
Yea of course it aint going to happen but I'm sure I'm not the only person that would like to see that.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 18 2008, 01:02 AM) [snapback]404583[/snapback]
I think that's debatable. It all depends if his stay in boxing was going to be productive. He hasn't really in the last couple of years. If he continued where he left off, I'm not sure it would be better with him. Unless he makes a couple of fights that fans are interested in.

I totally disagree with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Despite what many may think... Mayweather-Hatton and Mayweather-De La Hoya were "HUGE" events in boxing. Boxing would be BETTER with PBF in the mix. THATs NOT DEBATABLE!
JonnyBlaze
Without PBF in boxing,he just passed the torch to the next best guy for P4P best..Pac-man deserves P4P now,but if Floyd were around,Pac-man would be #2..It's the same thing when Lennox Lewis left boxing,belts were scattered..

The casual fans and even not so casual fans knew of Floyd..If someone were to beat Floyd,this would all be different..His skill speaks for itself..Boxing needs that kinda skill..Not debatable at all!!
Douchebag
It's very debatable. I don't miss PBF in boxing at all.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Sep 18 2008, 06:32 AM) [snapback]404591[/snapback]

Ya may not miss him but he was good for boxing..I don't miss him on a personal level but I do miss him actually boxing..Ya gotta appreciate the skill man..To have that kinda skill is SOOO rare..Boring or not..I actually like watching him fight,he is a artist!!What he does in the ring is like art masterpiece being made..

I wish some people could see boxing through my eyes..I know some see boxing the way I do though but some like Rayfanofrealboxers just want to see pure war and doesn't even care if there is skill involved..Boxing isn't about Ray's "Death matches",it's truely about the craft..People who box just because they want to fight legally and all that are retarded in my mind..I used to get into fights a lot years ago but I've smartened up and I gotta thank boxing for that(I owe boxing a lot for what it has done for me in my life)..I would never fight outside the ring unless completely necessary..I know of some boxers who are mad all the time and just want a reason to snap to get into a fight and thats just lame..Stereotypes of boxers are not good at all!!Guys like DLH,Roy Jones,Pavlik,and Evander Holyfield give boxers a good name..Guys like Tyson gave boxers a bad name and unfortunately most people think of Tyson when thinking of boxing(some casual fans or not even fans)..I had someone tell me I look like a boxer but I don't act like a one because I am a calm person..A lot of people expect me to be a violent guy but boxing isn't violence to me(weird huh??)..I used to be very violent like I said but I'm different now..My trainer told me I have the mindset of a boxer and not a fighter or puncher or brawler..
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 18 2008, 09:21 AM) [snapback]404600[/snapback]
I think it is very debatable. How can anybody tell someone you must miss him when people don't feel that way?

We had big events, but they meant very little in terms on how the division shaped up. The most demanded fight was Mayweather vs Margarito/Cotto/Mosley and nobody got them. He took fights that were bigger in terms of money, but definitely not the most significant. I can see why people may not think he is missed. He stopped highly demanded fights from happening.

Fitz,
Us, Hardcore fans may not miss Floyd! but the casual fan along with the sports world miss him. Whether we like it or not Floyd was one of the faces of the sport and witout him the sport has lost a little bit. Maybe not to us but the to the casual fans who outnumber us!
Douchebag
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 18 2008, 09:21 AM) [snapback]404600[/snapback]
I think it is very debatable. How can anybody tell someone you must miss him when people don't feel that way?

We had big events, but they meant very little in terms on how the division shaped up. The most demanded fight was Mayweather vs Margarito/Cotto/Mosley and nobody got them. He took fights that were bigger in terms of money, but definitely not the most significant. I can see why people may not think he is missed. He stopped highly demanded fights from happening.

I agree PBF tried so hard to be the crossover star that Oscar is end then just retired. Dude can stay retired and boxing will be just fine to be honest the dude doesn't even have a captivating personality. Tyson, Oscar, Pac-Man, Roy etc. all better for boxing when they where in there primes and even out there primes for some of these guys than PBF will ever be. Shit after Pac fights Oscar he he might be the Pay Per View king going forward. After all Floyd owes every one of his big Pay days to Oscar, so Oscar can do the same for Manny.

As far as skill goes yeah PBF has alot of it buy IMO opinion a prime James Toney did better work and didn't avoid fighting anybody so I say good ridance.
The CEO
I definitely miss watching Floyd box....the guy was/is really something special in that ring...

He had/has such an arsenal of skills to choose from to beat someone....beating Hatton at his own game was awesome to behold....it gave the impression he has even more to show us....and I really wanted/want to see it.

/

He'll be back.
Big Slim Sweet
I miss Floyd and I hate his guts. It's fun sometimes to watch a fighter whose throat you want to cut. John Ruiz excluded.
streetlion1
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Sep 18 2008, 05:32 AM) [snapback]404591[/snapback]

CO-SIGN!!!!

Whats to miss? Sure as a boxing fan its good to see someone with so much skill....I am a fan of his defense....BUT...this guy(as a Welter) ran from his toughest competition when everyone was crowning him king. Boxing doesnt need the Duck-Artist!

If he came back he would have to fight Marg. or Mosley or Cotto...at least one or 2 of those fights to get some Welterweight credibility. Until then he gets no respect from me....one of the fakest P4P champs in boxing history.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 18 2008, 09:34 AM) [snapback]404607[/snapback]
Fitz,
Us, Hardcore fans may not miss Floyd! but the casual fan along with the sports world miss him. Whether we like it or not Floyd was one of the faces of the sport and witout him the sport has lost a little bit. Maybe not to us but the to the casual fans who outnumber us!

Us hardcore fans??Dude if you're a hardcore fan,you'd appreciate his mastery of boxing..I know you do appreciate the skill soo I'm wonderin why you're callin everyone who "misses" him casual fans..If I had the chance to do the same thing Floyd does in the ring,no way I'd pass it up..Floyd straight up embarrasses people in the ring..Hatton,DLH,Gatti,and everyone before them..

I am one of the most hardcore boxing fans and I know you know it Damarvelous..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.