Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calzaghe says Pavlik is an "invented star"
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Maxy
Kelly Pavlik refuted Joe Calzaghe's claim that he twice backed out of a fight with him and said the chances of the Welshman beating Roy Jones Jr are slim.

Speaking on Steve Bunce's Boxing Hour, Calzaghe claimed that Pavlik was an 'invented star' and had twice pulled out of the chance to fight him.

Although Calzaghe has suggested Jones will be his last opponent, many would like him to fight the Youngstown fighter before retiring.

Calzaghe feels Pavlik is overrated due to the lack of star American boxers at present and claims that he has ducked out of the opportunity to fight him in the past.

"They're inventing a star over there," Calzaghe said on Setanta Sports News. "You've seen boxing's a dying sport over there. They only got one medal at the Olympics. They want him to be a big star.

"He was offered the fight after Lacy and we offered him the fight after he beat Jermain Taylor.

"It makes me laugh when I'm fighting Roy Jones he suddenly wants me.

"When he was asked after the fight against Gary Lockett he said he didnt say 'I want to fight Calzaghe next', he said 'I'll fight whoever my team get me.'"

Pavlik strongly disputes this claim and adds that there may not be talk of him fighting Calzaghe, if, as he expects, he loses to Jones on November 8.

"Calzaghe's pops keeps throwing shots out," Pavlik said on Steve Bunce's Boxing Hour. "He has Roy Jones and the chances of him getting past Roy Jones are slim.

"There might not be talk of me fighting Calzaghe if he can't get past Jones.

"No, they never offered a fight. They did everything but offer a fight with us. They didnt have to take the fight with Jones, it could have been with us.

"After I knocked Gary Lockett out. I see lots of things about Enzo running off his mouth of us.

"There wasn't talk of Calzaghe until I beat Taylor twice. There is a great chance of Roy Jones beating him. There might not be any talk of me fighting him in the future.

"I've got to take care of [Bernard] Hopkins. That's my main thing.

"I would like the fight. I've said that on every interview I've said. It is what it is. It would be a great fight. I've got October 18 to worry about."

Big Slim Sweet
I never knew Calzaghe to be such a shitbag before. Has he always trashed fighters he doesn't want to fight as unworthy, a la PBF, or is this a new thing for him? What's his deal with Pavlik anyway? Why's he still talking about him? Perhaps he actually does plan on fighting him if they each get past Roy and Hop respectively, and is starting the hype early (too early). But he's acting like a giant fuckhead.
streetlion1
Calzaghe is full of shit. He has the nerve to say Pavlik never fought anyone when he spent his whole career fighting nobodys in Europe. Then he comes to America and wins a very questionable decision against B-Hop.

I dont like Jones but I really hope he K.O's Calzaghe!

If Calzaghe doesnt retire he'll have the perfect excuse not to fight Pavlik anyway because after Kelly loses to B-Hop he'll just say he doesnt deserve a shot.
Mean Mister Mustard
He's right about Calzaghe maybe not getting past Jones.
JonnyBlaze
Pavlik vs. Calzaghe would be a really interesting fight since they are both undefeated..I'll take Pavlik though by a close decision..Ya can never doubt a KO if Pavlik is in the ring though..
The CEO
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Sep 18 2008, 03:54 PM) [snapback]404642[/snapback]
I never knew Calzaghe to be such a shitbag before. Has he always trashed fighters he doesn't want to fight as unworthy, a la PBF, or is this a new thing for him? What's his deal with Pavlik anyway? Why's he still talking about him? Perhaps he actually does plan on fighting him if they each get past Roy and Hop respectively, and is starting the hype early (too early). But he's acting like a giant fuckhead.

laugh.gif

Calfuckface has always been this way, Slim...he's just getting more and more vocal with it now that he's finally gained some worldwide recognition and a higher P4P ranking.....

Him calling Pavlik "invented" is some serious pot-kettle bullshit...
FenderDG3
That is some of the most hypocritical shit I've ever read...

Pavlik is overrated due to the lack of star American boxers at present?? Just like Calslappy if you ask me...

This is just Joe trying to justify not getting KTFO by "The Ghost"
D-MARV
RJJ will KO Calzaghe and Make AMERICA proud!!!!

Roy JOnes Jr for PRESIDENT 2008!
JonnyBlaze
I'd vote for Roy..hahaha..I'd vote for Holyfield over Roy though(they are 2 of the best personalities in boxing IMO,really good guys)..Holyfield can deflect bullets with his chin though..You could shoot a missle and hit Holy in the chin and he'll keep fighting back like nothing happened..

I've always like how Roy handles himself outside the ring,he is always true to boxing..You could call up Roy a day before a fight and ask him to fight and he'd already be in top shape..He also doesn't do anything to damage his body in any way..Also,his second favorite sport to boxing is basketball,which is the same as me..haha..The only think against Roy outside the ring though is the cock fighting thing..It's weird..hahaha..Theres somethin for ya all..All ya thought I hate Roy for some weird reason because I thought Tarver bested him..Quite a few of my friends say Roy is their favorite fighter ever and there is no arguing that..I can see why he would be someones all time favorite..The man has INSANE skills and abilities that 95% of fighters could only dream of having..His reflexes are the most important ability for him in my opinion..Without his reflexes,he drops a notch but still can hold his own..

I'm hoping for RJ to make a appearance that night against Calzaghe..
hardhead
QUOTE(Maxy @ Sep 18 2008, 06:59 PM) [snapback]404639[/snapback]
Kelly Pavlik refuted Joe Calzaghe's claim that he twice backed out of a fight with him and said the chances of the Welshman beating Roy Jones Jr are slim.

Speaking on Steve Bunce's Boxing Hour, Calzaghe claimed that Pavlik was an 'invented star' and had twice pulled out of the chance to fight him.

Although Calzaghe has suggested Jones will be his last opponent, many would like him to fight the Youngstown fighter before retiring.

Calzaghe feels Pavlik is overrated due to the lack of star American boxers at present and claims that he has ducked out of the opportunity to fight him in the past.

"They're inventing a star over there," Calzaghe said on Setanta Sports News. "You've seen boxing's a dying sport over there. They only got one medal at the Olympics. They want him to be a big star.

"He was offered the fight after Lacy and we offered him the fight after he beat Jermain Taylor.

"It makes me laugh when I'm fighting Roy Jones he suddenly wants me.

"When he was asked after the fight against Gary Lockett he said he didnt say 'I want to fight Calzaghe next', he said 'I'll fight whoever my team get me.'"

Pavlik strongly disputes this claim and adds that there may not be talk of him fighting Calzaghe, if, as he expects, he loses to Jones on November 8.

"Calzaghe's pops keeps throwing shots out," Pavlik said on Steve Bunce's Boxing Hour. "He has Roy Jones and the chances of him getting past Roy Jones are slim.

"There might not be talk of me fighting Calzaghe if he can't get past Jones.

"No, they never offered a fight. They did everything but offer a fight with us. They didnt have to take the fight with Jones, it could have been with us.

"After I knocked Gary Lockett out. I see lots of things about Enzo running off his mouth of us.

"There wasn't talk of Calzaghe until I beat Taylor twice. There is a great chance of Roy Jones beating him. There might not be any talk of me fighting him in the future.

"I've got to take care of [Bernard] Hopkins. That's my main thing.

"I would like the fight. I've said that on every interview I've said. It is what it is. It would be a great fight. I've got October 18 to worry about."

Funny but this is the same thing Calzaghe did for the majority of his career, he didn't have a problem back then staying in his backyard because he was getting his money(great for him, get yours, but don't whine about not getting mega fights or respect) but I believe he knew that Jones or Hopkins back then(especially Jones) would've WAXED that fucking ass. I remember the shit like clockwork, clear as day, don't hear a peep from Calzaghe until Jones or Hopkins signed a fight then you hear all the same old bullshit about "Americans not giving me respect" "nobody wants to fight me" blah blah blah.

There's NOTHING I wouldn't want more then to see this big mouth get his fucking face kicked in. He's a talented versatile fighter but his mouth and his constant shit talking gets on my nerves...
STEVENSKI
I hope Pavlik puts a horrific beatdown on Hopkins even though it is a 1 in 100 chance he will put a beatdown on him. X needs to retire & a sound thrashing will tell him it's time.

As for ROID & Calzhage I don't know who I want to see lose more. Probably Roy as I just fuckin hate the cunt but Calzhage also fills me with rage. maybe the ring collapsing & both fighters ending up in cripple chairs would satisfy me?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Sep 19 2008, 12:24 AM) [snapback]404688[/snapback]
I hope Pavlik puts a horrific beatdown on Hopkins even though it is a 1 in 100 chance he will put a beatdown on him. X needs to retire & a sound thrashing will tell him it's time.

As for ROID & Calzhage I don't know who I want to see lose more. Probably Roy as I just fuckin hate the cunt but Calzhage also fills me with rage. maybe the ring collapsing & both fighters ending up in cripple chairs would satisfy me?

Steve just when I think you can't take your hate to new levels...........you go and say this.

Ha ha! You remind me of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho, but that's a compliment cause that guy was funny as fuck too.

P.S Roy fans are deluding themselves if they think he's got anything left in the tank. I'd quite like to see Roy win but the truth is Cal-Slappy will demolish him.
buford54
At this point in their careers, I'm far more inclined to believe Kelly Pavlik over Joe Calzaghe. As bad a fight as I think it is for Kelly, he's fighting Hopkins. It's unnecessary, out of his weight class, and probably has the least upside of any fight out there. IF you don't count Lockett (who Joe C's father/trainer said would beat Kelly) he's coming off of 3 fights that pretty much overshadow Joe C's entire career.

The Roy/Joe fight really is a contest of the more hateable fighter.
It's kind of funny, actually. They both spent the best parts of their careers ducking people.
I have to root for Roy in this fight, simply because Joe is still undefeated. He needs to have a loss or two on his record before he retires so that his legacy is put into perspective.

On the other hand, IF Roy wins this fight (unlikely), we are going to have to put up with SOOOO much of his crap about how great he is, and he will return to his old ways of calling out everyone from Wladimir Klitschko to Manny Pacquiao ("he's not p4p #1 until he's faced RJ"), and then none of the fights will happen because Roy will demand 75 million dollars, and we'll end up with Jones/Tarver 4 (which sadly will sell because people will be convinced that Roy "has it back"...it's almost not worth it for him to win either.

Another fight where I wish they could both lose.

STEVENSKI
I be sippin

They be slippin

Yall know it's the truth.
Method
Funny but this is the same thing Calzaghe did for the majority of his career

Exactly. This guy should just STFU. He's the King of everything he's accusing Pavlik of.
Mean Mister Mustard
Calzaghe and his pops have fast become an annoyance. I hope Calzaghe doesn't really believe all that BS that comes out of his trap.

Funny thing about Calzaghe, before his fights he always says he's in great shape blah blah blah. After the Lacy fight he said he was so good because he stepped it up to show people he was P4P material. Then he has the Bika fight and he says afterwards that he wasn't on that night. He beats up Manfredo and he's on. He beats Kessler and again he says he's on his best in big fights. So basically if a fight goes bad he always has that excuse afterwards that he wasn't on. Fact is Calzaghe has had a lot of "bad nights" even against mediocre competition, so it's not that he's off it's that, well, he's just not that versatile. The moment I knew his excuses are BS is when he fought Hopkins. I read, saw and heard everything I could in the buildup to that fight and in every turn he kept saying he was in great shape, feeling fantastic and that he was going to KO Hopkins. Then he gets his ass knocked down and almost loses to a 43 year old and all of a sudden he comes out and says he had an off night.

hardhead
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 19 2008, 11:34 PM) [snapback]404759[/snapback]
Calzaghe and his pops have fast become an annoyance. I hope Calzaghe doesn't really believe all that BS that comes out of his trap.

Funny thing about Calzaghe, before his fights he always says he's in great shape blah blah blah. After the Lacy fight he said he was so good because he stepped it up to show people he was P4P material. Then he has the Bika fight and he says afterwards that he wasn't on that night. He beats up Manfredo and he's on. He beats Kessler and again he says he's on his best in big fights. So basically if a fight goes bad he always has that excuse afterwards that he wasn't on. Fact is Calzaghe has had a lot of "bad nights" even against mediocre competition, so it's not that he's off it's that, well, he's just not that versatile. The moment I knew his excuses are BS is when he fought Hopkins. I read, saw and heard everything I could in the buildup to that fight and in every turn he kept saying he was in great shape, feeling fantastic and that he was going to KO Hopkins. Then he gets his ass knocked down and almost loses to a 43 year old and all of a sudden he comes out and says he had an off night.

You're right. I don't know why I said versatile, you gotta understand how my mind works sometimes, I hate Calzaghe with a passion, probably the only fighter I actually hate/strongly dislike but I don't want to come across as a straight hater so maybe I give him more credit than he deserves by saying he's "versatile".... thumbsup_anim.gif I give him credit for not going the route of Sven Ottke(and never really fighting anybody) though, at least he's more willing to make some of these bigger fights in the last 3, 4 years of his career albeit Hopkins and Jones are at the tale end....I've already said I would really take my hat off to Calzaghe all the way if he took on Pavlik as his last fight. I say why not? that's a big money fight and a fight that Calzaghe can win(he'd be a pretty solid favorite IMO) and go out on the very top, at the same time take out the so called, in his own words, "America's champ" in Pavlik.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(hardhead @ Sep 19 2008, 10:36 PM) [snapback]404760[/snapback]
You're right. I don't know why I said versatile, you gotta understand how my mind works sometimes, I hate Calzaghe with a passion, probably the only fighter I actually hate/strongly dislike but I don't want to come across as a straight hater so maybe I give him more credit than he deserves by saying he's "versatile".... thumbsup_anim.gif I give him credit for not going the route of Sven Ottke(and never really fighting anybody) though, at least he's more willing to make some of these bigger fights in the last 3, 4 years of his career albeit Hopkins and Jones are at the tale end....I've already said I would really take my hat off to Calzaghe all the way if he took on Pavlik as his last fight. I say why not? that's a big money fight and a fight that Calzaghe can win(he'd be a pretty solid favorite IMO) and go out on the very top, at the same time take out the so called, in his own words, "America's champ" in Pavlik.

I hadn't realized you had said he was versatile. I myself only started figuring out that Calzaghe id not as multi dimensional as he's made out to be. I've only seen 2 or 3 fights pre-Lacy so Calzaghe is not someone I am all that familiar with. But basically in his last fights all he does is either come foward getting in and out with his flurries. He doesn't really stick and move and while his jab may be quick, it isn't that good a weapon. If Jones watches how Hopkins was catching Calzaghe with his sneaky rights and he also starts mixing in some body work, something Hopkins didn't do, then he has a chance to beat him.
BigG
Whats funny is he said he PICKS Pavlik to beat Hopkins because Hopkins is TOO OLD and past-his-prime....way to make YOUR crappy looking "win" less impressive after repeatedly calling yourself the legend killer after the win...LMAO.

I guess deep inside Joe doesn't really feel Kelly is a hypejob if he picks Kelly to beat a 43 year old who dropped and nearly beat him.
The CEO
I know I always bash the other forums....but sometimes they ARE good for something....as in....these gifs...

Mean Mister Mustard
At least he kept throwing after Hopkins heatbutted him at least he gets credit for that.
The CEO
Yeah...that was fairly tough of him.

How 'bout that Manfredo stoppage though?

streetlion1
laugh.gif Calzaghe is the lamest P4P champ ever!!!
buford54
He really is. Did you see how "army" those punches were in the Hopkins gif?
Absolutely nothing on them.
And to call Pavlik and invented champ?
I just know what's going to happen. Pavlik won't look like a world beater against Hopkins (unavoidable) and Joe will go on about "why should I fight someone who looked worse against Hopkins than I did, after I was already through with Hopkins."

If there is anyone who is an invented star, it's Joe C. He's fought entirely (except 1 fight) in his own country against bums and journeymen.
Method
At least he kept throwing after Hopkins heatbutted him at least he gets credit for that

Headbutted? Dude charged in to Hopkins. Tape don't lie.
caneman
If X only threw more punches that night, it breaks my heart X lost to that slapping ass hoe! thumbsdown_anim.gif
caneman
This Hopkins would have killed Calspappy>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgphmCrLwpY
Glen said X was the only guy he EVER fought that he knew he could not beat!
BigG
Anyone that thinks Calzgahe wouldve beaten a younger Hopkins, is a f'n idiot
caneman
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 22 2008, 09:55 AM) [snapback]404895[/snapback]

I know that's right! X would have won hands down throwing 10-15 punches more per round instead of 1 punch & hugging!
The CEO
I just noticed something.....according to the recent video and gifs I've posted lately....and the following definition Conscience provided in General....Joe Calzaghe is a douchebag.

Douchebag (n) An individual who has an over-inflated sense of self worth, compounded by a low level of intelligence, behaving ridiculously in front of colleagues with no sense of how moronic he appears

KookedKrack
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 22 2008, 09:55 AM) [snapback]404895[/snapback]

cosign a younger bhop stops calslappy brutally
Maxy
I think everyone is unanimous in their belief that a younger Hopkins would have beaten Calzaghe, as would a younger Jones. For me Joe hasn't earned the right to be derogatory about other boxers because his resume for a 45-0 fighter doesn't have nearly enough quality on it.

Part of the problem was Frank Warren though but Calzaghe's not going to complain about getting rich for very low risk fights. Who would? He did say, in the interview I saw the other day, that now he is free from Warren he is finally getting the big fights.

As for the "invented star" comment he made it was said because, according to Calzaghe, boxing in America is at a very low point. You don't have the talent pool of a few years back and the Olympic team were terribly unsuccessful. One Bronze? He was insinuating that Americans are putting Pavlik on a higher pedestal than he belongs because there isn't really much else out there, especially if Mayweather stays retired.

At the end of the day Joe's best wins have been against an old and faded Eubank, Robin Reid, Kessler and an old Hopkins. He might add an old Jones to that record. It's just not good enough.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Method @ Sep 22 2008, 08:54 AM) [snapback]404890[/snapback]
Headbutted? Dude charged in to Hopkins. Tape don't lie.

With bias like that you will be a commentator on HBO in no time. LOL
Douchebag
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 22 2008, 05:11 PM) [snapback]404919[/snapback]
Three of his recent fights have been for undisputed status.

Kessler is the only fight I give Joe credit for. The dude is an opportunistic sleaseball.
buford54
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 22 2008, 05:11 PM) [snapback]404919[/snapback]
Three of his recent fights have been for undisputed status.

And it took him 42 fights to decide to unify?
He couldn't have tried to unify against Ottke 5-6 years ago? He couldn't have fought Roy back when Roy was undisputed?

Yes, he's decided to "turn it on" recently and take the big fights against the guys he could have fought in their primes, but decided instead to defend the WBO against Will "Kidd Fire" McCintyre. Too little too late for my taste.

To be honest, with the tone that Roy's taken lately...talking about how they made the fight so easily without promoters and they visit sites together... I think that Roy and Joe are about to start a joint promotions company. Don't be surprised if Roy goes down from a body shot, rolls around for a bit, then hops up to tell Larry Merchant about "Royzaghe Promotions."

D-MARV
Joe Calzaghe is top 3 in the sport "Right now"

No questions asked!
BigG
Because Cotto lost to Margarito, maybe he is.

He is probably the least impressive top 3 ever though...
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 23 2008, 09:25 PM) [snapback]405081[/snapback]
Because Cotto lost to Margarito, maybe he is.

He is probably the least impressive top 3 ever though...

Well BigG
Some people consider Pavlik top 3 and I think that is worst than Calzaghe being top 3
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 23 2008, 08:28 PM) [snapback]405083[/snapback]
Well BigG
Some people consider Pavlik top 3 and I think that is worst than Calzaghe being top 3

Calzaghe is top 3..Pavlik has the opportunity to be top 3 in the future..Not right now though..He has the abilities and skills..NO doubt!!I really like Pavlik..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.