Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: David Haye vs. Ray Mercer?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
I for one am not thrilled about the possibility of Haye fighting Mercer. Ray is much too old and his best time has LONG past. They are trying to get Mercer a heavyweight ranking so that he can get the fight. I know that the heavyweight opposition sucks, but this is bad. I'd like to see Haye fight someone like Chris "Nipples"Arreloa. We would get fireworks there! What's the point of fighting a washed up old man like this?

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3442.html

Jack
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Sep 18 2008, 05:00 PM) [snapback]404646[/snapback]
I for one am not thrilled about the possibility of Haye fighting Mercer. Ray is much too old and his best time has LONG past. They are trying to get Mercer a heavyweight ranking so that he can get the fight. I know that the heavyweight opposition sucks, but this is bad. I'd like to see Haye fight someone like Chris "Nipples"Arreloa. We would get fireworks there! What's the point of fighting a washed up old man like this?

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3442.html

Jack

Mercer is almost 50!!!I've always been a big Mercer fan but for anyone to beat a 40+ Mercer is not beating Ray Mercer..Ray Mercer would smash Haye if Mercer was in his 30s..Mercer has always had one of the best jabs at heavyweight..David Haye is not impressing me at heavyweight if he does this fight.."Nipples"Arreloa would be a better fight and I think Haye would be have a really good chance of winning that fight..In my opinion "nipples" is very overrated..If he doesn't get a KO,I don't see him beating any of the top heavyweights..James Toney and Arreloa would make for a lot of blubber in the ring but Toney would expose him BIG time..
BigG
Haye losses respect if he fights Mercer next..
Maxy
I read this yesterday and would have liked to have seen it but that looks unlikely.

FORMER world heavyweight champion Hasim Rahman has revealed he is ready to come over to fight David Haye at the 02 Arena - and claims he would knock out the South Londoner inside three rounds.

The Baltimore-based 35-year-old has been mentioned as an opponent ever since the Bermondsey puncher announced his move up to heavyweight.

But Rahman, who shocked the boxing world in 2001 when he knocked out Lennox Lewis in four rounds to win the richest prize in sport, claims that Haye is not serious about stepping into the ring with him.

"Iíd be ecstatic to come over to England," said Rahman in an exclusive interview with the South London Press.

"Thatís the type of opponent I need to bring out the best in me and it will make me go into a training camp to show what I can do.

"Heís just using my name as if itís all about him and itís not - as soon as he fights a heavyweight puncher itís going to be over for him.

"Haye would be perfect for me, the fight wonít last three rounds.

"When you start getting knocked down by some cruiserweights the chances are youíre going to get knocked over by a heavyweight.

"People in London know me and it would be a fight they would love to see. But it takes two people to want to risk it. Iím willing to, but heís not.

"What is it about David Haye that is so special? He wonít be able to carry his power up and he gets knocked down by cruiserweights. I donít believe he can beat any of the champions right now or anyone ranked in the top five.

"Iím more than willing to fight Audley Harrison, Danny Williams or Matt Skelton on the undercard of his November show to build up Rahman-Haye if he wants to see me live. All those British heavyweights can get it."

But Haye has dismissed Rahman as an opponent - insisting his sole objective is getting JD Chapman signed and sealed.

He said: "Our focus is on Chapman at the moment. Itís about getting the fighters we want - unbeaten ones and not guys who have been sparked out by umpteen people like Rahman, who is sounding a bit desperate."

News of Haye fighting Mercer surely can't be true? I mean, I've heard countless times that he has to face somebody in the top 10 and I know the heavyweights are in a poor shape right now, but Mercer isn't in any top 10. I like David Haye, he adds a little colour to the division which is badly needed, but if he fights Mercer he has to lose respect.

D-MARV
Haye wants no part of Arreola!!!!

Arreola KO3
Maxy
So Eddie Chambers (or possibly Monte Barrett) are looking like being David Hayes next opponent. I think the Chambers fight especially is highly credible and would prove quite a lot either way for Haye.
JonnyBlaze
David Haye has wayyy more skill then Arreola..All Arreola could hope for would be a KO cause no way he'd win a decision against Haye..
BGv2.0
For a guy that's running off at the mouth about how he's going to clean up the division.....even going so far as to screw up Wlad's charity event......taking on a 47 year well beyond his prime old timer....does not back up his claim!

There is a LONG list of better opposition even in this awful division.

Ruiz
McCline
Rahman
Toney
Golota
TOS
Chambers
Arreola
Imbragamov
Thompson
Brewster
Briggs

Those are some of the better names....then there are even the decent lower teir

Fres
Madddalone
Minto
McBride
Krisniqi
Burgeron
Meehan
Botha
Solis
Guinn

ALL of these guys are better than a nearly 50 year old Mercer. BUT....what would be funny as hell is if the old man pulled off the upset! Who knows.....nearing 50.....being written off.....broke....a huge $ fight with the win...it might be JUST ENOUGH to get Mercer motovated to come into the fight in decent shape.

I know some of the pics I have seen of him...he does look slimmer than he looked a few years ago.

I still think it's a weak choice for the supposed self proclaimed "savior" of the HWs! I just came up with 20+ names off the top of my head that would pose a better fight for this guy!

STUPID move IMHO....a win gets him ZERO respect...and a loss get him public ridicule.

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Sep 21 2008, 09:05 PM) [snapback]404862[/snapback]
For a guy that's running off at the mouth about how he's going to clean up the division.....even going so far as to screw up Wlad's charity event......taking on a 47 year well beyond his prime old timer....does not back up his claim!

There is a LONG list of better opposition even in this awful division.

Ruiz
McCline
Rahman
Toney
Golota
TOS
Chambers
Arreola
Imbragamov
Thompson
Brewster
Briggs

Those are some of the better names....then there are even the decent lower teir

Fres
Madddalone
Minto
McBride
Krisniqi
Burgeron
Meehan
Botha
Solis
Guinn
ALL of these guys are better than a nearly 50 year old Mercer. BUT....what would be funny as hell is if the old man pulled off the upset! Who knows.....nearing 50.....being written off.....broke....a huge $ fight with the win...it might be JUST ENOUGH to get Mercer motovated to come into the fight in decent shape.

I know some of the pics I have seen of him...he does look slimmer than he looked a few years ago.

I still think it's a weak choice for the supposed self proclaimed "savior" of the HWs! I just came up with 20+ names off the top of my head that would pose a better fight for this guy!

STUPID move IMHO....a win gets him ZERO respect...and a loss get him public ridicule.

I think Fres belongs in the better half of those 2 lists..He is soo ackward that he gives anyone problems..I think a lot of people don't want to fight him because of that..He also is one of the faster heavyweights and would actually be a good fight to see Haye in..
JD
So is this David Haye's way of showing the world he deserves a shot at the heavyweight title?

How fucking weak is this?

After Ray Mercer, maybe Bert Cooper will be available.
BigG
BG, there is no way Mercer can beat Haye. He would get KO'd..probably early. Look I really like Ray because he's a good guy who was tough as nails back in the day. He gave Lewis fits, gave Holyfield a good fight, beat Morrison...but it's a disgrace that the man is even still fighting. If Haye pushes through with this he lsoses respect.
Maxy
I'm not hearing anything at all over here about Haye fighting Mercer. Surely they can't "get" Mercer a top 10 rating just to give credence to such a fight. It would be a ridiculous joke and extremely disappointing.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 22 2008, 08:59 AM) [snapback]404896[/snapback]
BG, there is no way Mercer can beat Haye. He would get KO'd..probably early. Look I really like Ray because he's a good guy who was tough as nails back in the day. He gave Lewis fits, gave Holyfield a good fight, beat Morrison...but it's a disgrace that the man is even still fighting. If Haye pushes through with this he lsoses respect.

If this farce comes off then I think a 'Hate Haye Wagon' will be in order...
KookedKrack
fuck this fight and fuck haye for even considering this shit
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(JD @ Sep 22 2008, 08:51 AM) [snapback]404893[/snapback]
After Ray Mercer, maybe Bert Cooper will be available.

HAHAHA..Bert Cooper was a beast..I still can remember Holyfield splitting his glove open after landing such crazy uppercuts on Cooper..Classic Holyfield shit!!

I remember everyone comparing Cooper to Frazier..Their styles were alike,just Frazier was alot better..Gotta give props to Cooper though..
King Eugene
Win, Loose, Or Draw if this fight goes through Haye should drop out of everybodies top 10 rankings.

He is starting to sound like the Kimbo Slice of boxing (and I'm a big Kimbo fan), by fighting all of these old guys.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Sep 22 2008, 07:05 PM) [snapback]404923[/snapback]
Win, Loose, Or Draw if this fight goes through Haye should drop out of everybodies top 10 rankings.

He is starting to sound like the Kimbo Slice of boxing (and I'm a big Kimbo fan), by fighting all of these old guys.

Haye is definitely not a Kimbo..Kimbo only fights fat,old,slow guys..I respect Kimbo for coming outta the streets like he did but he is pure hype..There are too many Kimbo nut huggers..He hasn't even fought anyone worthy..Not one..Once he fights someone with skill,his reign of hype will be over..He already has lost once that I've seen,off the record..I don't like MMA though..Haye fought wayy more credible opponents in his career..
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 22 2008, 08:14 PM) [snapback]404927[/snapback]
Haye is definitely not a Kimbo..Kimbo only fights fat,old,slow guys..I respect Kimbo for coming outta the streets like he did but he is pure hype..There are too many Kimbo nut huggers..He hasn't even fought anyone worthy..Not one..Once he fights someone with skill,his reign of hype will be over..He already has lost once that I've seen,off the record..I don't like MMA though..Haye fought wayy more credible opponents in his career..

LOL sound like I ruffled some feathers. All I'm saying is why even consider taking on an opponent so far out of his prime when you have all these other big names he could fight. As far as Kimbo, he has good opponents he can fight but he has made it clear that a lot of these older guys he's wanting to fight are people he has been wanting to fight for a long time (not saying thats a credible excuse but atleast he is saying it).
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Sep 22 2008, 08:02 PM) [snapback]404944[/snapback]
LOL sound like I ruffled some feathers. All I'm saying is why even consider taking on an opponent so far out of his prime when you have all these other big names he could fight. As far as Kimbo, he has good opponents he can fight but he has made it clear that a lot of these older guys he's wanting to fight are people he has been wanting to fight for a long time (not saying thats a credible excuse but atleast he is saying it).

I agree with you man about the Mercer/Haye fight..I just talked to Fres Oquendo on the phone and after that it makes me want to see Haye/Oquendo(I met him at the golden gloves and he gave me his cell number)..Actually,he might be my new trainer..If I go out that way,I'll let ya all know how I do against him in some sparring..hahaha,no joke either..It's alittle ways away from the actual city but not impossible for me to get to..Oquendo's style will give anyone problems though and we'd see how versatile Haye is..Also Fres is quick and kinda resembles a cruiserweight when it comes to speed..
BGv2.0
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 22 2008, 12:25 AM) [snapback]404879[/snapback]
I think Fres belongs in the better half of those 2 lists..He is soo ackward that he gives anyone problems..I think a lot of people don't want to fight him because of that..He also is one of the faster heavyweights and would actually be a good fight to see Haye in..

You are right....he does...and I almost put him on it. But...at the very least I listed him on top of the second list....I put Fres there more or less due to inactivity and not due to lack of skill or name value. Just like I'd most likely list Tua there as well. Both guys have just been very inactive here of late.

But I do think Fres/Haye would be an excellent matchup.

BGv2.0
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 22 2008, 08:59 AM) [snapback]404896[/snapback]

I'd never say "no way" in relation to these two guys. I agree it's very unlikely.....but you have a guy that has a questionable chin in Haye, with a guy with a solid punch in Mercer despite the age.

I do not think he would go out as early as you might expect....the guy took tons of bombs from Wlad before being stopped...and as for his BS MMA stuff with Kimbo...that was all nonsense anyway and I think he tapped out and was not KOd by a punch.

Like I said...I agree it is VERY UNLIKELY Mercer could pull off the upset.....but Haye is still a total ? at HW. Despite the age difference....although I'm fairly certain Haye wins I'm in no way inclined to say it is 100%.

AND.....saying all of that...I do not in any way want people to think that I agree with this choice for Haye....because I do not....I'd much rather see him with a younger warrented opponent. I'm just saying that if it comes off despite the hope that it does not.....I'm not 100% certain of a Haye win.....maybe 90%....but not 100%.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Sep 24 2008, 12:16 PM) [snapback]405142[/snapback]
I'd never say "no way" in relation to these two guys. I agree it's very unlikely.....but you have a guy that has a questionable chin in Haye, with a guy with a solid punch in Mercer despite the age.

I do not think he would go out as early as you might expect....the guy took tons of bombs from Wlad before being stopped...and as for his BS MMA stuff with Kimbo...that was all nonsense anyway and I think he tapped out and was not KOd by a punch.

Like I said...I agree it is VERY UNLIKELY Mercer could pull off the upset.....but Haye is still a total ? at HW. Despite the age difference....although I'm fairly certain Haye wins I'm in no way inclined to say it is 100%.

AND.....saying all of that...I do not in any way want people to think that I agree with this choice for Haye....because I do not....I'd much rather see him with a younger warrented opponent. I'm just saying that if it comes off despite the hope that it does not.....I'm not 100% certain of a Haye win.....maybe 90%....but not 100%.

Mercer would of whooped Kimbo had he been younger..Kimbo likes fighting guys who are over 40..Dude is a joke!!That fight shouldn't even be brought up..I really hope people don't think boxers can't hang with MMAers because of that fight..

Even at 47/48,I don't see anyone KO'ing Mercer unless he gets too tired and cant even stand up anymore..
Maxy
Monte Barrett has been officially named as Hayes next opponent. All the talk about him maybe fighting Mercer was just bullshit.

Anyway, Barrett is a decent opponent for Hayes first proper heavyweight fight IMO.
MarzB
I agree with the previous post. Monte is a decent B-/C+ opponent type (depending on which shows up).

It's funny how Haye sorta dissed Monte but went after guys honestly I wasn't all that familiar with. Kevin Thompson I think his name was, whomever the first person was that dropped out.

Does anyone have an idea of what Haye was offering these guys?? Because some people dropped out based on money or sould I say, Haye's team said that.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(MarzB @ Sep 25 2008, 08:24 PM) [snapback]405229[/snapback]
Does anyone have an idea of what Haye was offering these guys?? Because some people dropped out based on money or sould I say, Haye's team said that.

Haye thinks he's the man now..I wouldn't doubt he was making offers that people had to refuse..He should fight Chris Arreola..Arreola is all hype if ya ask me(people want a American heavyweight to talk about)..I think once he gets in with a good boxer,he's done..Klitchko KO's Arreola easy if ya ask me..Arreola can't even look like hes in shape..Klitchko's footwork and jab would dominate Arreola and make him run outta gas,then Klitchko's right would seal the deal..
Boxingjunkie
Haye versus Barret is acceptable for a first heavyweight fight. Haye and Arreolla have a ways to go before they are ready to fight Klitschko for the title.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Boxingjunkie @ Sep 25 2008, 11:20 PM) [snapback]405256[/snapback]
Haye versus Barret is acceptable for a first heavyweight fight. Haye and Arreolla have a ways to go before they are ready to fight Klitschko for the title.

Arreola even admitted he questions his own focus in the gym soo I think he is going to turn out to be a nobody..He has his hype now because he is knocking out easy opponents..Chazz Witherspoon and Malcolm Tann were his best opponent(they are good fighters but no where near elite)..He throws good combos but thats all I can say good about him..He isn't the heavy hitter people make him out to be,he is just relentless and KO's on combos,not one punch and he's very easy to hit..He weighed almost 260 and I was very unimpressed with his power..He doesn't have power to KO any of the elites..Hell Chris Byrd has 21 KO's,it just goes to show that any heavyweight can KO someone,but its the one punch power that seperates them..Arreola is a combo puncher not a one punch guy..

I think Haye would whoop Arreola..
D-MARV
an in Shape Arreola KOs Haye!!!!!!!!

In Shape Arreola would give Wilad fits!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 26 2008, 05:28 AM) [snapback]405316[/snapback]
an in Shape Arreola KOs Haye!!!!!!!!

In Shape Arreola would give Wilad fits!

Totally disagree..Arreola wouldn't even get within a foot of Klitchko..Klitchko's jab and footwork would be all he'd need to beat Arreola..He even admitted he questions his own conditioning..That was real bad for him to admit..He is a fuckin pro boxer!!I really wonder how he could even show his fat face on TV weighing 260..We got James Toney(buddah) and now Chris Arreola(the blob)..I do have to say though,Toney was lookin slimmer than normal at the fights..A in shape Toney could ressurect his career at heavyweight..He has the skills and abilities still to fight for 10 more years if he really wanted to,as long as he's in shape..Toney can get away with his buddah body though because of his insane skill,but he is holding himself back..

The Arreola that fought last night would lost to Haye IMO..I'm not too fond of the thought of Haye at heavyweight but he might be able to pull it off..Haye atleast will look like he had a training camp,and some!!I was real surprise he said he could go 10 rounds at that pace,I really doubt it..He had some serious blubber on his stomach..I really don't think anyone would believe he's a boxer if he was chilling outside with his shirt off,unless it was someone who knew boxing..I think we'll see Arreola in shape maybe once a year,if that..He's not as focused as he should be,kinda like Zab Judah but in a different way..Zab's case is kinda worse since he has wayyy more talent and skill then Arreola..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.