Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto's next move
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
streetlion1
Since his loss I havent heard any word on what his next move will be. Whatever he does im sure there are alot of options...a rematch with Margarito....take the winner of Forbes-Berto or Hatton-Malginaggi....and there might still be an outside chance that DLH could choose him as one of his last 2 fights.

Whatever he does he needs a different trainer. Him and his uncle dont get along they dont talk. Watching the 24/7 it looked like Cotto basically trains himself with little or no input from his uncle. There is always room for improvement and I dont see him getting any better then he is with his current trainer.

I think he loses to Marg in a rematch and loses to DLH. He beats the other 4.
BigG
Arum was talking about making Margarito-Cotto II next year at Madison Square Garden..that's just crazy..keep Cotto away from him.
buford54
I think he could use a softer touch. Not a pushover, but a confidence builder that still requires him to work for it. If he rematches Marg he needs to train to box for 12 rounds. He would need to fight that way for 12 rounds, because Tony doesn't tire.
1zz
He's gonna get his ass kicked again.

He's been broken!
Douchebag
QUOTE(1zz @ Sep 19 2008, 02:12 PM) [snapback]404736[/snapback]
He's gonna get his ass kicked again.

He's been broken!

Maybe but.

Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.
Muhammad Ali

Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(buford54 @ Sep 19 2008, 12:38 PM) [snapback]404723[/snapback]
I think he could use a softer touch. Not a pushover, but a confidence builder that still requires him to work for it. If he rematches Marg he needs to train to box for 12 rounds. He would need to fight that way for 12 rounds, because Tony doesn't tire.

I think that was the plan for their first fight but Margarito doesn't allow that.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 19 2008, 11:13 AM) [snapback]404721[/snapback]
Arum was talking about making Margarito-Cotto II next year at Madison Square Garden..that's just crazy..keep Cotto away from him.

Margarito would beat Cotto a lot faster this time around for sure..Margarito already figured Cotto out and knows what to do against him..Cotto wins the early rounds and Margarito KO's him in the middle rounds..
EpTXCHAMP
If arum is smart he gives him sum one he'll ko quick maybe a faded castillo or sum punching bag. I wouldnt be surprised if forbes gets a shot if he gets out of the berto fight healthy
frankypc
Smart move or not what came out in pr main news paper maybe a week or so ago was that he would fight a nobody or atleast no one too tough in january and then a possible rematch with marg in the summer. But nothing seems to be official yet.
slap
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 19 2008, 05:11 PM) [snapback]404752[/snapback]
Margarito would beat Cotto a lot faster this time around for sure..Margarito already figured Cotto out and knows what to do against him..Cotto wins the early rounds and Margarito KO's him in the middle rounds..

I don't understand u people cotto runs outta gas once n err body throws the man under the bus if they where 2 fight again cotto would win err round cuz he knows what 2 expect now n he will train 4 it this time
streetlion1
Yeah...I dont see Margarito stopping Cotto if they fight again. I can see Margarito winning a close decision though.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(slap @ Sep 21 2008, 04:39 PM) [snapback]404843[/snapback]
I don't understand u people cotto runs outta gas once n err body throws the man under the bus if they where 2 fight again cotto would win err round cuz he knows what 2 expect now n he will train 4 it this time

It's not cause he ran outta gas(even though he obviously did),he submitted to Margarito..Once a fighter submits like that,they don't want to go back to that place soo they give in before going back to where he was before..Cotto didn't get KO'd by Margarito,he gave up..He should of stayed up until his corner threw in the towel but Cotto now knows he gave up..Margarito also knows what to do and what to look for next time soo I think it'll end quicker especially if he keeps gettin Cotto on the ropes..If they do fight again,hopefully Cotto has learned not to throw bombs on Margarito and to instead box and just land leather,not KO punches..The more big punches ya throw,the quicker you'll get tired..
buford54
I think that's pretty much it.
Cotto knows he's been cracked. Once that first crack starts to form, the rock isn't too far from shattering. I think he needs to build his confidence back up (patch the crack) and then fight an entirely different fight against Tony.
No trading, only boxing for 12 rounds. He'd have to stick and move for the entire fight. Keep Tony punching air for the first half of the fight before sitting on anything.
Chi-Town
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 22 2008, 12:37 AM) [snapback]404880[/snapback]
It's not cause he ran outta gas(even though he obviously did),he submitted to Margarito..Once a fighter submits like that,they don't want to go back to that place soo they give in before going back to where he was before..Cotto didn't get KO'd by Margarito,he gave up..He should of stayed up until his corner threw in the towel but Cotto now knows he gave up..Margarito also knows what to do and what to look for next time soo I think it'll end quicker especially if he keeps gettin Cotto on the ropes..If they do fight again,hopefully Cotto has learned not to throw bombs on Margarito and to instead box and just land leather,not KO punches..The more big punches ya throw,the quicker you'll get tired..

Cotto got up...it was his corner that stopped the fight. Second, I don't think Cotto got tired in the sense of muscle fatigue or inability to oxygenate his blood, I just think he got worn down from eating those uppercuts along with the mental strain of seeing a guy walk through your best shots for 30 straight minutes. He never exhibited any of the classic signs of fatigue, he just got beat the fuck up
King Eugene
I hope Cotto comes back and beats Margarito in a classic fight, and beat him again by decision in a rubber match. HEY, theres nothing wrong with dreaming!

To be honest after PBF retired Cotto and Judah where the only fighters I liked at Welterweight so I do hope he gets back on top which ever route he takes but I'd love to see him avenge that lost though!
PUERTOROCKS
I don't understand why Cotto kept on going to the ropes!! That is Margarito's favorite place. He needs to plant his feet in the middle of the ring and trade ala Clottey.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I see Cotto taking a tune up in his next fight, probably in Puerto Rico. He needs a soft touch to make him mentally ready to fight Margarito again. A fighter like Sebastian Lujan would be a good fight since he comes forward and throws a lot of punches, kind of like Margarito. I dont want to see Castillo get in there again, as he looked way past it in his last fight. If he doesn't take a tune up, then possibly a fight against Louie Collazo could be a match made. That would be a decent fight, and Collazo is no pushover.
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(slap @ Sep 21 2008, 02:39 PM) [snapback]404843[/snapback]

You type like an asshole. Take the extra ten seconds to spell out your words so we dont have to feel like we're getting a fucking text message from a 12 year old girl
dj necrogenic
In my opinion if they put Cotto in there right away with Margarito, Cotto will crumble even quicker. Cotto definitely needs some tune-ups to get his mind back. Coming off a loss like that can ruin a fighter if they are rushed back in there too quickly. Put him in there with Luis Collazo, or maybe Sebastian Lujan, perhaps even Demetrius Hopkins.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 23 2008, 05:13 PM) [snapback]405058[/snapback]
The fight would have just ended much sooner with that method IMO.

I would have ended WAAAAAYYYYYY sooner!
BigG
Cotto can't beat Margarito unless his stamina improves. Marg's just has his number. Cotto should just move on and fight Clottey.
D-MARV
Cotto needs to fight a safe fight first then move on to one of the champs.
frankypc
I havnt made my mind completely about this one. For one i understand the point of cotto bein beaten and that it takes time to get that confidence again and that he maybe wont be the same again. But on the other hand there are some aspects that cotto can definitely improve. He decided to trade shots with marg in some moments of the fight and that was a stupid idea. Second he dint prepare stamina wise for marg (that my opinion ofcourse, not a fact) i think he thought he would slow down marg with his punches as he does with almost everyone else, it dint happen as we all know. His defense also was lackluster against the damm uppercuts as always. I mean everyone was saying before the fight that he should improve on that etc etc etc and he did the same stupid thing, lean forward with his arms wide and ate uppercut after uppercut, i mean when i guy hits you with like 3 uppercuts in a row there is something definitely wrong with your defense lol. Also on a side note i think cotto is a smart dude and a dedicated man, not a one trick pony and i humbly think he will analyze whatever he did wrong and conciously try to get it better. Will it be enough? I dont know. It will be a great rematch thats for sure.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Sep 23 2008, 05:34 PM) [snapback]405063[/snapback]
You type like an asshole. Take the extra ten seconds to spell out your words so we dont have to feel like we're getting a fucking text message from a 12 year old girl

HAHAHAHA.. clapping.gif
frankypc
I can agree with that Fitz, i just hope it isnt that way lol and he can improve in that aspect for the next fight. If not he will be in trouble yet again. I understand that stamina is more of a biological thing, as a puerto rican i do tend to think sometimes that our fighters slack in the cardio department a bit in training. Tito was the exception and see where it took him with his limited ( in a sense ) skills, he ran in 10k marathons and stuff like tat man. And in the ring he had awesome stamina. Also Mexicans are a great example they train hard, run alot ( opinion for what i have seen ) and in higher places like mountains and stuff and their cardiovascular development is just amaizing. Maybe its because they start so young to train cardio hard like that and their lungs are machine like jaja.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(frankypc @ Sep 23 2008, 11:23 PM) [snapback]405101[/snapback]
I can agree with that Fitz, i just hope it isnt that way lol and he can improve in that aspect for the next fight. If not he will be in trouble yet again. I understand that stamina is more of a biological thing, as a puerto rican i do tend to think sometimes that our fighters slack in the cardio department a bit in training. Tito was the exception and see where it took him with his limited ( in a sense ) skills, he ran in 10k marathons and stuff like tat man. And in the ring he had awesome stamina. Also Mexicans are a great example they train hard, run alot ( opinion for what i have seen ) and in higher places like mountains and stuff and their cardiovascular development is just amaizing. Maybe its because they start so young to train cardio hard like that and their lungs are machine like jaja.

Lungs are built up..You can always improve lung power but everyone has their compacity of how much they can build them up to..A lot of boxers think this way too..Gene Fullmer actually replied to a letter I wrote him and talked about this..I recieved it on my b-day last year..It made my b-day alot better getting a letter from him..He still can write,but you can see it takes alot for him to write..I know of other guys who think this too who are boxers..I have also gotten letters from Teddy Atlas,Carmen Basilio,Angelo Dundee,and a few other guys..
BigG
Also, the pace of the Margarito was HECTIC for Cotto. Being the boxer who has to move back and dance is ALOT more tiring than the being the pressure fighter. Cotto was fighting, knowing he COULDNT hurt Margarito and Margarito was very relentless and didn't let up, moving forward at all times knowing he could walk through whatever Cotto dished out. Cotto was hitting and moving all night and that will take its tole on you. Margarito's body shots also wore him down and overall just the punishment he dished out. And Cotto isn't as good as boxer or mover as Floyd so he can't do that shit for 12 rounds.

I definitely think Cotto CAN outpoint Margarito in several rounds (score with combo's then move out of the way) but he'd need to fight a much more careful fight to last. He would need to try his best to stay in the middle of the ring and hold whenever Marg gets him on the ropes.

Margarito's a tough guy to deal with for anyone at Welterweight
frankypc
I agree with you bigggeorge. Thats why (in my humble opinion) i think cotto thought he could control the pace of the fight with his power and it dint work that way because he could not back up marg. For that matter is that i think cotto dint prepare stamina wise for marg, because he genuinely thought he could slow down marg. Now he needs to "try" and box for 12 rounds, he he can or cant do it i dont know. Maybe like you said hes not capable of doing it for 12 round but at the very least he can damm hold one or twice lol, nothing wrong with that. But thats what makes the rematch interesting, wel at least for me.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 23 2008, 11:42 PM) [snapback]405107[/snapback]
Also, the pace of the Margarito was HECTIC for Cotto. Being the boxer who has to move back and dance is ALOT more tiring than the being the pressure fighter. Cotto was fighting, knowing he COULDNT hurt Margarito and Margarito was very relentless and didn't let up, moving forward at all times knowing he could walk through whatever Cotto dished out. Cotto was hitting and moving all night and that will take its tole on you. Margarito's body shots also wore him down and overall just the punishment he dished out. And Cotto isn't as good as boxer or mover as Floyd so he can't do that shit for 12 rounds.

I definitely think Cotto CAN outpoint Margarito in several rounds (score with combo's then move out of the way) but he'd need to fight a much more careful fight to last. He would need to try his best to stay in the middle of the ring and hold whenever Marg gets him on the ropes.

Margarito's a tough guy to deal with for anyone at Welterweight

Boxers who are up on their toes the whole fight or most of the fight need to trainer harder..No doubt about it..I'm not saying they actually do trainer harder,I'm just saying they need to or they will tire out quick because of all the movement and energy expended..I've actually noticed this first hand while sparring and watching guys spar in the gym..Muhammad Ali is a prime example of what I'm talking about..I've also had trainers tell me these kinda things too..Cotto didn't train as a boxer and trained as a fighter I think which is why this happened..He was doing something he never does..I mean,I really liked his movement and his boxing,but that's not him..I would really like it a lot though if he converted to a boxer/fighter and not a fighter/boxer(fighter first,then boxer) like he is..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 24 2008, 03:56 AM) [snapback]405126[/snapback]
I have sparred with guys that are smaller than me, and I back them up and control everything. I can go for much longer. I fight spar with guys bigger that back me up and have me on the back foot, I'm ready to puke in about half the time.

I really like moving around either way..When I spar taller guys then me(I'm 6'2),I tend to be the one moving in all the time though..Tallest guy I've sparred was 6'8..I like sparring really big dudes though,even though sparring with smaller guys would in my opinion help make you better defensively since you're dealing with more speed..I already know I can take a big shot too soo the big guys don't really show me anything new..I'm 200 lbs by the way too..Big guys to me are dudes who are 250..But moving around definitely does tire you out more for sure..I always wondered why I was getting tired so quickly when I first started sparring a long time ago,then I realize it was because of how much movement I was doing..I really don't like it when guys move their hands around(in circles or up and down) when they are doing nothing..It's just movement wasted and doesn't do them any good..
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Sep 23 2008, 06:39 PM) [snapback]405064[/snapback]
In my opinion if they put Cotto in there right away with Margarito, Cotto will crumble even quicker. Cotto definitely needs some tune-ups to get his mind back. Coming off a loss like that can ruin a fighter if they are rushed back in there too quickly. Put him in there with Luis Collazo, or maybe Sebastian Lujan, perhaps even Demetrius Hopkins.

i agree. cotto should take a lesson from cintron and take tune up or two before even thinking about getting in there again with margarito. but i don't think he should even think about a rematch. once you've been broken by margarito i'm not sure if there's any chance of redemption against him.
frankypc
This is more of a question than a comment. Judging by what other fighters that marg has beaten other than the mentally incompetent cintron who cannot even take a tune-up seriously (like the feliciano fight) are you guys base that fighters "broken" down by margarito are never the same. Or rephrasing who other top fighter, mentally strong as cotto. has margarito beaten and the fighter never came back to be the same?. In my humble opinion mentioning cintron and cotto in the same sentence its ludicrous i mean. One hand (again in my opinion) we have cotto who has proven to be a smart, tough fighter loosing by corner stoppage in the 12 and another ( Cintron ) who barely made it of the 5th round in both fights and is just a tall guy with a jab and some great pop thats it, he doesnt have anything else comparable to cotto, not mentally and or boxing wise.

(Side note: It was a corner stoppage but i dont in any way shape or form impy that it could have lasted the whole round. It could have been a ko if it lasted longer)
streetlion1
Yeah..no way Cintron can be compared to Cotto!! I also have to disagree with those that say Cotto was "broken" by Margarito. I think he just got tired and a bit discouraged from Marg walking through his best punches. If Cotto wouldve circled Marg. instead of backing to the ropes each time I see a different fight.

I cant see Margarito doing anything different against Cotto than what he did in their first fight but obviously Cotto would have a different approach. If Cotto is able to box for 12 rounds he wins a blowout decision no question. While a tune-up fight would be a confidence builder..a guy the caliber of Cotto can fight Marg without one IMO.
Thegreatequalizer
the deal is, as everyone can see, that win or lose margarito doesn't stop coming. and when he knows he can take someone out, he won't even slow down.

and as far as breaking down, it's not necessarily just margarito. we've seen fighters take beatings in the ring and never fully recover. cotto took a real beating. most guys that let margarito get in his rhythm don't last very long. not long enough to take the beating that margarito gave him. even if he's still a champ, he'll never be what he was. just like roy jones. no matter what he does, he'll never be the guy he was before he got ko'd.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Sep 24 2008, 05:05 PM) [snapback]405148[/snapback]
Yeah..no way Cintron can be compared to Cotto!! I also have to disagree with those that say Cotto was "broken" by Margarito. I think he just got tired and a bit discouraged from Marg walking through his best punches. If Cotto wouldve circled Marg. instead of backing to the ropes each time I see a different fight.

I cant see Margarito doing anything different against Cotto than what he did in their first fight but obviously Cotto would have a different approach. If Cotto is able to box for 12 rounds he wins a blowout decision no question. While a tune-up fight would be a confidence builder..a guy the caliber of Cotto can fight Marg without one IMO.

that would be great. i'd love to see cotto get knocked out again. he'll never be able to box margarito for 12 rounds. ever.
frankypc
Fitz marg IS satan lol. Another point id like to bring. Margarito was hit almost at will for the first 6 rounds of the fight and ate some monster shots from cotto ( he wore sunglasses for 1 or 2 weeks after the fight ), and it has happened the same in other fights since marg just takes the punishment and dishes out his own. Does it takes its toll sometime soom?. I mean (in my humble opinion) cotto hit him with some of the harder shots he has taken and not just one or two, they were in combinations and stuff. In the long run, does it takes its toll as a fighter? Or is he such a SOB? That guy has a chin....
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Sep 24 2008, 04:05 PM) [snapback]405148[/snapback]

Cintron is NO Cotto..Also,are you saying Cotto is weak mentally??If he was "discouraged" about not being able to hurt Margarito or faze him,I'd say he is weak mentally and is relying on his power too much..
PUERTOROCKS
I think Cotto should change trainers. And he has to work on his stamina. I actually think Floyd Mayweather sr might be a good trainer for Cotto.
Douchebag
QUOTE(PUERTOROCKS @ Sep 26 2008, 09:05 AM) [snapback]405323[/snapback]
I think Cotto should change trainers. And he has to work on his stamina. I actually think Floyd Mayweather sr might be a good trainer for Cotto.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I rewatched the fight.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(PUERTOROCKS @ Sep 26 2008, 08:05 AM) [snapback]405323[/snapback]

I don't see Floyd Sr. working with Cotto.
Douchebag
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 26 2008, 09:10 PM) [snapback]405353[/snapback]
I don't see Floyd Sr. working with Cotto.

Why not? If the money's is right Sr. will be blabbering his giberish in spanish in no time. LOL
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Sep 26 2008, 10:13 PM) [snapback]405364[/snapback]
Why not? If the money's is right Sr. will be blabbering his giberish in spanish in no time. LOL

Hahaha..That'd be funny but I just don't see them working together..Yet,I don't see him and Ricky Hatton working together either..It just makes for a weird pair..Ya know??Cotto should get Norman Stone to come back..hahahaha..That'd be great!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.