Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Styles
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JonnyBlaze
What up
I wanna know who possess your top 10 favorite styles of all time..Mine aren't in order..Also remember,this isnt a favorite boxer list,this is purely based off of styles..You'll notice I'm a huge fan of a boxers styles over fighters..Also a big old school fan..

Evander Holyfield
Sugar Ray Robinson
Muhammad Ali
James Toney
Bernard Hopkins
Willie Pep
Mike McCallum
Archie Moore
Diego Corrales
Emanuel Augustus
D-MARV
James Toney has the greatest style of all time!!!!!!!!!!!

Douchebag
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 20 2008, 01:06 PM) [snapback]404780[/snapback]
James Toney has the greatest style of all time!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree..............If that guy would have had the work ethic to match his talent he would rival SRR on the P4P rankings.
pcraw
Old Bernard Hopkins
James Toney
Aaron Pryor
Ezzard Charles
Young Mike Tyson
Marvin Hagler
Ali
Roberto Duran
Nate Campbell
Alexis Arguello
salvador
Tyson
Duran
Hagler
Margarito
Pacquiao
Morales
Mayorga
Jirov
Miranda
Vargas
BigG
James Toney
Mike Tyson
Roy Jones Jr
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Miguel Cotto
Juan Manuel Marquez
Erik Morale
Pernell Whitaker
Bernard Hopkins
Julio Cesar Chavez

Honorable Mention: Terry Norris, Donald Curry, Joe Frazier, Zab Judah
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(pcraw @ Sep 20 2008, 12:22 PM) [snapback]404782[/snapback]
Old Bernard Hopkins
James Toney
Aaron Pryor
Ezzard Charles
Young Mike Tyson
Marvin Hagler
Ali
Roberto Duran
Nate Campbell
Alexis Arguello

I gotta add Ezzard Charles to my list too..Kostya Tszyu deserves mention too..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(salvador @ Sep 20 2008, 01:39 PM) [snapback]404786[/snapback]
Tyson
Duran
Hagler
Margarito
Pacquiao
Morales
Mayorga
Jirov
Miranda
Vargas

Mayorga??In my opinion Mayorga has one of the worst styles in the history of boxing..How do you figure Mayorga??He throws wide wild punches and hopes one lands..
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 21 2008, 01:32 AM) [snapback]404820[/snapback]
Mayorga??In my opinion Mayorga has one of the worst styles in the history of boxing..How do you figure Mayorga??He throws wide wild punches and hopes one lands..

Jonny, although Mayo isn't in my list (which is yet to come) but I think your question was who are your top ten FAVOURITE styles.

He's a crazy man in the ring (does that count as part of the style?) and you gotta admit love him or loathe him Mayo and his crazyass style is fun to watch.

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Toney-my all time favourite fighter who is both a great defensive fighter whilst standing in front of guys all night a beast at 168. And when he beat guys he often beat them BAD, clinically picking them apart before the big finish.
Tyson-the early peekaboo years.
Hearns-best 3 round fight ever amongst a whole lot of other things.
Hagler-ditto.
Roberto Duran-everything about him 'no mas' aside.
Aaron Pryor-great technical fighter who fought in one of my top 3 favourite fights versues Argeullo.
Erik Morales-couldn't have a boring fight if he wanted to.
Sugar Ray Robinson-the whole damn package.
Evander Holyfield-fought in practically 2/3 of all the life and death epics over the last 20 years.
Diego Corrales-May have lost as many as he won but had a style that ALWAYS guaranteed an all action fireworks fight.
BigG
Salvador likes the guys who block punches with their face (ie Margarito) haha.gif
D-MARV
When it comes to Styles, James Toney defines boxing! His only flaw is that his fat ass could never get in shape... He could have been an all time great!
salvador
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 21 2008, 06:32 AM) [snapback]404828[/snapback]
Salvador likes the guys who block punches with their face (ie Margarito) haha.gif

Damn Straight!

More specifically, I like guys who understand that if your chin isn't fully extended, you're not going to get the same leverage on your punches.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(salvador @ Sep 21 2008, 06:53 AM) [snapback]404833[/snapback]
Damn Straight!

More specifically, I like guys who understand that if your chin isn't fully extended, you're not going to get the same leverage on your punches.

Don't you mean that if your chin isn't fully extended then the OTHER fighter isn't going to get full leverage on their punches?

I think Mayo understands this very well and I susupect he will demonstrate it against Shane.
streetlion1
My top 3 favorite

Bernard Hopkins

James Toney

and even though it kills me to say it.....Floyd "the Duck-Artist" Mayweather Jr.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Sep 21 2008, 04:50 AM) [snapback]404824[/snapback]
Jonny, although Mayo isn't in my list (which is yet to come) but I think your question was who are your top ten FAVOURITE styles.

He's a crazy man in the ring (does that count as part of the style?) and you gotta admit love him or loathe him Mayo and his crazyass style is fun to watch.

True..My bad..Sorry about that Salv..I do like how Mayorga goes crazy just wish it was with crisp punches..
JonnyBlaze
I think my top 3 would be
James Toney
Evander Holyfield
Archie Moore---gotta give it up for him..He is the original mongoose..If James Toney was more active,he could of had a record like Archie since they were soo hard to hit..220 fight vs. Toneys 81 fights..To have 81 fights these days is a sign of being old school alone!!Toney vs. Archie is defintely a good dream matchup..You could make the fight from 175 and all the way up..Each weight might make a different out come..
King Eugene
I'm a fan of the hit and not get hit style and who else was better at it than...

Bernard Hopkins

Roy Jones Jr. (until Tarver caught him........FUCKER)

James Toney (most beautiful style ever)

and the Money Man Pretty Boy Floyd (hate'em or love'em you cant knock his style. Best defense ever)

I liked Tyson as well cause he would bob and weave til he got close then unleash bombs on you. I like Judah too but he's been getting hit way too much lately LOL and when he lose his cool and composure he doesn't stay strong.

I want to say Ali but we all see the results of his punishement now. Any body ever seen Bait with Jamie Foxx? LMAO
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Sep 22 2008, 07:21 PM) [snapback]404929[/snapback]
I want to say Ali but we all see the results of his punishement now. Any body ever seen Bait with Jamie Foxx? LMAO

Ali deserves to be mention,he was a master of hitting and not get hit..He extended his career wayyy too long which is why he is the way he is now..He lost his reflexes and his special abilities he had and kept fighting..Some may say the same thing is going on with Roy Jones or Chris Byrd..Yeah,Chris Byrd's shoulder was messed up extremely bad but he can't keep getting KO'd or hit real hard..Ali just didn't know when to stop,that's all..

3King3 I like your taste in fighters styles..Ya forgot Archie Moore on your list..Hell,he started the cross armed defense..Like I said,he's the original mongoose..

Also,if any of us could have Floyd's style and be as successful with it,all of us would fight the same exact way he does so quit hatin..
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 22 2008, 08:38 PM) [snapback]404935[/snapback]
3King3 I like your taste in fighters styles..Ya forgot Archie Moore on your list..Hell,he started the cross armed defense..Like I said,he's the original mongoose..

Also,if any of us could have Floyd's style and be as successful with it,all of us would fight the same exact way he does so quit hatin..

Gotta remember I just really got into boxing in the late 90's early 2000's so I dont know a lot of the real older boxers. Most of them I've seen clips of, read about, watched them on ESPN Sports Century, or Classic Boxing so I came talk about what I dont know. All the fighters I named where the fighters I grew up watching. I like Sugar Ray Leonard as well...I remember a couple of his fights.

And as far as Floyd, not many people can HONESTLY say they wouldn't like to be able to have his style and perfect it like he did!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Sep 22 2008, 07:43 PM) [snapback]404937[/snapback]
Gotta remember I just really got into boxing in the late 90's early 2000's so I dont know a lot of the real older boxers.

Oh,I didn't know that..That's cool man..All in due time!!

Watch for some Archie fights though or go on Youtube..His style is amazing..I like Archie at 175 the most,but he was good at every weight he ever fought at..His and James Toney's fighting styles are similar but they give different looks..Toney is in his shell and Archie was more cross armed and bent over..When I say their fighting styles were similar I meant they both throw a lot of punches while being very defensive and both look sooo relaxed in the ring..They both for the most part would be infront of you the whole fight too..Also,both them never ducked anyone and always fought the best..Archie is just crazy man,220 pro fights is insane(he also knocked down Rocky Marciano)..Especially when you look at the quality of guys he fought..James Toney is harder to hit cleanly though..Toney's left shoulder does soo much for him..

Archie Moore in my opinion is in the top 5 best light heavyweights of all time,in my opinion he is the best of all time..I know a lot of you might argue Roy Jones though which is a good arguement..175 was his best weight but he was a beast at heavyweight too..Archie ended his career when he was 47 or 48 years old..
The CEO
I can easily throw out 5 "greater" Light Heavies than Jones......Charles, Moore, Foster, Spinks, and Conn.
D-MARV
Top 5 styles in Order!!!!

James Toney
Muhammad Ali
Mike Tyson
Pernell Whitaker
Bernard Hopkins
D-MARV
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Sep 22 2008, 09:40 PM) [snapback]404956[/snapback]
I can easily throw out 5 "greater" Light Heavies than Jones......Charles, Moore, Foster, Spinks, and Conn.

Fair enough!

But Pound for Pound RJJ is top 3!!!!!!!!
King Eugene
From what I've seen, not many has had the speed or reflexes that Jones HAD. And not only that his ring smarts was unheard of. I use to like hearing him ringside and saying what was going to happen before it even happen like the Mayweather vs. Gatti fight. He also knew how to set his opponents up as well to finish them in the fashion that he wanted.

See most people dont realize a lot of fans like Roy not cause of his personality but his ring dominance and smarts. He was so damn fast it was ridiculous. Remember how he dropped Reggie Johnson with that 1-2 when Reggie was still pulling his Jab back? I can give a shit about how much trash somebody talks, how much money they have, or any of that other material stuff. What he did in the ring amazes me. I mean hell he'll always go down in history for being one of few Middleweights to win a Heavyweight title.
STEVENSKI
Some of my personal favourites

Tszyu: Very diciplined & underrated style. Always caught his man & the only way to beat him was to walk him down & beat him down.

Fenech: Pure straight puncher with excellent skills & limitless stamina. Should have been a 4 division undefeated champion & the greatest fighter Australia has produced.

Holyfield: Great pure boxer style. Could jab & move beautifully but would stand & trade if goaded into it.

Duran: Probably the most complete boxer I have ever seen. A true bad muthafucker.

Hearns: Awesome style at 147 & had wonderful 1-2 combined with fast feet. His chinnyness was his only letdown IMO.

I have a million more but they are some of my favourites.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Sep 23 2008, 01:40 AM) [snapback]404956[/snapback]

Jones for most overrated 175lber ever.

QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 23 2008, 02:01 AM) [snapback]404966[/snapback]
Fair enough!

But Pound for Pound RJJ is top 3!!!!!!!!

Not even close. Guys like Mickey Walker & Hank Armstrong are far far far far far greater P4P than Jones could even dream of.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Sep 22 2008, 10:08 PM) [snapback]404988[/snapback]
Some of my personal favourites

Tszyu: Very diciplined & underrated style. Always caught his man & the only way to beat him was to walk him down & beat him down.

Fenech: Pure straight puncher with excellent skills & limitless stamina. Should have been a 4 division undefeated champion & the greatest fighter Australia has produced.

Holyfield: Great pure boxer style. Could jab & move beautifully but would stand & trade if goaded into it.

Duran: Probably the most complete boxer I have ever seen. A true bad muthafucker.

Hearns: Awesome style at 147 & had wonderful 1-2 combined with fast feet. His chinnyness was his only letdown IMO.

I have a million more but they are some of my favourites.

I'm glad someone else put Kostya Tszyu on here..His style is underrated I think..He is NO DOUBT one of the best trained fighters ever..His fight with Ben Tackie was amazing..I don't think anyone ever shut down Ben Tackie like that before..If you're one-dimensional,you're dead against Tsyzu..Tsyzu is also one of the smartest 140 lbers ever!!He wouldnt just beat you,he'd dominate you and make it look easy..I also really like how Kostya would change his speed/power up in his punches..He'd throw some soft quick punches,then throw 1 or 2 big shots in the combo too..After one combo from him,ya cant ever assume thats it,he may throw another one right away,than another after that..He is a machine in the gym and in the ring..
D-MARV
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Sep 22 2008, 11:17 PM) [snapback]404992[/snapback]
Jones for most overrated 175lber ever.
Not even close. Guys like Mickey Walker & Hank Armstrong are far far far far far greater P4P than Jones could even dream of.

Nope NOT AT ALL!

Top 3. In No order!

Sugar Ray Robinson
Muhammad Ali
Roy Jones Jr
Douchebag
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 23 2008, 06:12 AM) [snapback]405022[/snapback]
Nope NOT AT ALL!

Top 3. In No order!

Sugar Ray Robinson
Muhammad Ali
Roy Jones Jr

How can you put RJJ up with Ali an SRR when both of those guy proved there status in the P4P rankings by fighting quality guys in there prime. RJJ for the most part fought nobody's and against really tough opposition, he has a losing record.
streetlion1
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 23 2008, 04:12 AM) [snapback]405022[/snapback]
Nope NOT AT ALL!

Top 3. In No order!

Sugar Ray Robinson
Muhammad Ali
Roy Jones Jr

Yeah...no way in hell you can put RJJ up there with those two!

As a P4P...No question the man was over-rated...just like Calzaghe is over-rated.....I hope they retire each other!
D-MARV
All this Roy hasn't fought anyone bullshit is played out!!! He fought top guys. Hopkins and Toney are both legends of the sport and RJJ beat both of them.

Every fighter has there haters. And the popular arguement has been "Who has he fought?" You get that from Hopkins haters, Calzaghe Haters, Floyd Mayweather haters.

When you look at Roy's ability and his accomplishments (Champ from 160 to Heavyweight), as well as his physical attributes, you can see he is one of the most gifted fighters to ever grace this sport. What can I say, Im a RJJ fan! At the same token though, I wish he would just retire because he is way past his prime and he is hurting his legacy.

1zz
Kid Coma's style now is to play dead.

Jones is done.
1zz
Kid Coma's style now is to play dead.

Jones is done.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 23 2008, 11:34 AM) [snapback]405040[/snapback]
All this Roy hasn't fought anyone bullshit is played out!!! He fought top guys. Hopkins and Toney are both legends of the sport and RJJ beat both of them.
Every fighter has there haters. And the popular arguement has been "Who has he fought?" You get that from Hopkins haters, Calzaghe Haters, Floyd Mayweather haters.

When you look at Roy's ability and his accomplishments (Champ from 160 to Heavyweight), as well as his physical attributes, you can see he is one of the most gifted fighters to ever grace this sport. What can I say, Im a RJJ fan! At the same token though, I wish he would just retire because he is way past his prime and he is hurting his legacy.

I think Roy has fought good opponents..He if one of the best for sure..I totally agree with you about the haters..I actually like all the guys you named..I even like Calzaghe because he knows how to win and can throw a insane amount of punches and dominate guys who people thought were great or the next best thing..Whatever about the slapping thing,he wins fights..Period!!Floyd has fought the best for the weight classes he decided to dominate..No question..Everyone is just unhappy he didn't decide to finish off the welterweights..Although,there is no way I'd put Roy's name with Sugar Ray Robinson and Ali..No way..RJJ is hurting his legacy..Ya gotta think about Ali though,he fought wayyy wayyy past his prime and his legacy was always secure..That's one of the differences in my opinion..There are more too..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 23 2008, 10:12 AM) [snapback]405022[/snapback]
Nope NOT AT ALL!

Top 3. In No order!

Sugar Ray Robinson
Muhammad Ali
Roy Jones Jr

Keep on smokin that dust chief.
BigG
In an all time list, Jones would be 19-25, IMO...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 23 2008, 07:26 PM) [snapback]405073[/snapback]
In an all time list, Jones would be 19-25, IMO...

thumbsup_anim.gif Sounds about right..
BoxingStill#1
Lets not take anything away from PBF for instituting a completely different way to defend and counter.......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.