Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JOE WARNS ROY: DRUGS WON’T WORK
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Method
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/inthering/view/...ugs-won-t-work/

JOE WARNS ROY: DRUGS WON’T WORK

21st September 2008 By Nick Parkinson

Joe Calzaghe is not worrying about Roy Jones Jr taking drugs ahead of their fight – because he insists he would beat him anyway.

Former four-weight world champion Jones tested positive for the anabolic steroid androstenedione back in 2000.

When the UNPUNISHED positive drugs test result was later revealed, Jones’ career slumped and he was knocked out twice in 2004.

Those defeats to Glen Johnson and Antonio Tarver left Jones’ once-brilliant career looking over after he had won titles at middleweight, super-middleweight, light-heavyweight and heavyweight.

But Jones, 39, has won his last three fights and takes on undefeated Calzaghe in a clash to decide the world’s best light-heavyweight at Madison Square Garden on November 8.

And Welshman Calzaghe, 36, insists he is not worrying about Jones’ links to using performance-enhancing drugs.

He said: “I would hate to fight a cheat and I don’t believe in cheating in any sport. I’m not calling him a cheat and I don’t know what was taken or what happened.

“Me personally, I have to remember to take my Vitamin C every morning – I believe in a fair fight.

“You get tested before every fight by providing a urine sample and I’m happy with that because I would hate to fight a cheat.

“In athletics, a cheat gets disqualified, but in boxing if you get arse kicked and then he’s found to be a cheat, it doesn’t matter because you’ve still got you’re arse kicked.

“But I think I can beat anyone – whether they are on steroids or not.”

After ruling as world super-middleweight champion for over ten years, Calzaghe stepped up a division to beat US star Bernard Hopkins on points in April.

And Calzaghe insists Jones is still a threat to his goal of finishing his career unbeaten.

He said: “I wasn’t excited for the Hopkins fight – but I am for this one.

“Jones is an excellent fighter and I would be a fool if I underestimated him.”

Jones pleads his innocence over his positive test result.

He said: “I took an over-the-counter product which I didn’t know was illegal.

“There’s never been a proscribed list distributed by any of the boxing authorities.

“So you don’t know what you can or can’t take. But I’m no cheat.”

BigG
He said: “I wasn’t excited for the Hopkins fight – but I am for this one.

War Roy Jones..
King Eugene
Roy will Whoop Ass and this WILL NOT BE AN UPSET! aggressive.gif
JonnyBlaze
Damn,as crazy as it is,I don't remember Roy testing positive..I don't think he intentionally did it though..
BigG
Him and Hall both tested positive for their fight. That's the only fight he ever tested positive for. But from what I remember reading, he got tested for something he just bought out of a local convenient store..
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 22 2008, 09:45 PM) [snapback]404959[/snapback]
Him and Hall both tested positive for their fight. That's the only fight he ever tested positive for. But from what I remember reading, he got tested for something he just bought out of a local convenient store..

You're Right BigG

It was "Ripped fuel"!!!!!!
But this Bitch Ass UK Paper is making it seem like he was tested positive for steroids
JD
Roy has no legs left.

He will go to the ropes, and he will get out-worked while he is there.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Sep 22 2008, 10:22 PM) [snapback]404970[/snapback]
Roy has no legs left.

I agree JD, But I have the ounce of faith that Roy will catch JC with something serious!
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 22 2008, 10:27 PM) [snapback]404971[/snapback]
I agree JD, But I have the ounce of faith that Roy will catch JC with something serious!

I wouldn't base a pick, or lay money, on an ounce of faith that Jones can catch him with something.

Roy's legs are cazzo.
BigG
QUOTE(JD @ Sep 23 2008, 02:31 AM) [snapback]404972[/snapback]
I wouldn't base a pick, or lay money, on an ounce of faith that Jones can catch him with something.

Roy's legs are cazzo.

Calzgahe is so open sometimes with all his amateurish slaps, won't be surprised if Roy gets him with some hard counters.
King Eugene
QUOTE(JD @ Sep 22 2008, 10:22 PM) [snapback]404970[/snapback]
Roy has no legs left.

Initially when you think of Roy going to the ropes we think he is tired and gassed out but truthfully thats where he counters best at. Think about it, a lot of his fights he would go to the ropes because a lot of his opponents wouldn't sit in the middle of the ring and punch at him so he could counter (except for a few fighters). So he would go to the ropes where they would feel more confident to throw punches which left them open for more counters (of course it didnt work on everybody). Thats where he caught a lot of people, cause he is so fast that he can counter punch and then get back on defense to cover up. Hell look what he did to Bryant Brannon "PRIME EXAMPLE".

Is this the best strategy...no not for the average joe but for Roy it was. I mean you see after a few rounds in the Trinidad fight Tito stopped attacking at the ropes cause thats what Roy wanted. And everytime Tito came him he'd get those big wide hooks blocked and would eat Flush Rights straight down the pipe.

Would I do it in a fight, WHY HELL NO!!! Will it work against Joe, I have no idea but we shall soon find out.

Glen Johnson caught Roy with one lucky shot. The first Tarver fight he was tired, hell we all know that but when he needed to you seen him dig deep and pull off those last two rounds without leaning on the ropes. The second Tarver fight he just got caught, the third Tarver fight you see he didnt go to the ropes nearly as much cause he knew that strategy wouldn't work with Tarver. The only time I really remember him to to the ropes against Tarver was when he was hurt in the 11th. All and all he lost those three fights fair and square no excuses but dont go and say he has no legs cause he always goes to the ropes.
JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 22 2008, 10:33 PM) [snapback]404973[/snapback]
Calzgahe is so open sometimes with all his amateurish slaps, won't be surprised if Roy got him with some hard counters.

Neither would I, in fact, I expect him to early. But Calzaghe has a good chin...and I am not sure if I mentioned this, but Roy's legs are gone. It's not like Jones is going to fight him in the center of the ring all night.

Roy will go to the ropes and get out worked.

Jones has not looked good in...well, a long time, and that has been against Trinidad, Hanshaw and Ajamu. Those are who he has fought over the past 3 years...that is it. Not only has he been inactive, but he has fought no-hopers. And yes, a 170 pound version of Felix Trinidad coming off of a 32 month layoff is a no-hoper...and even than, Roy constantly went to the ropes.
BigG
Roy always gets backed into the ropes. He's been getting backed into the ropes since he was in his prime. He gets backed more these days because he isn't as quick as he once was. I'm really not impressed with Calzgahe as a fighter but I think he will beat RJ. Hope I'm wrong.
JD
QUOTE(3King3 @ Sep 22 2008, 10:38 PM) [snapback]404974[/snapback]
Initially when you think of Roy going to the ropes we think he is tired and gassed out but truthfully thats where he counters best at. Think about it, a lot of his fights he would go to the ropes because a lot of his opponents wouldn't sit in the middle of the ring and punch at him so he could counter (except for a few fighters). So he would go to the ropes where they would feel more confident to throw punches which left them open for more counters (of course it didnt work on everybody). Thats where he caught a lot of people, cause he is so fast that he can counter punch and then get back on defense to cover up. Hell look what he did to Bryant Brannon "PRIME EXAMPLE".

Is this the best strategy...no not for the average joe but for Roy it was. I mean you see after a few rounds in the Trinidad fight Tito stopped attacking at the ropes cause thats what Roy wanted. And everytime Tito came him he'd get those big wide hooks blocked and would eat Flush Rights straight down the pipe.

Would I do it in a fight, WHY HELL NO!!! Will it work against Joe, I have no idea but we shall soon find out.

Glen Johnson caught Roy with one lucky shot. The first Tarver fight he was tired, hell we all know that but when he needed to you seen him dig deep and pull off those last two rounds without leaning on the ropes. The second Tarver fight he just got caught, the third Tarver fight you see he didnt go to the ropes nearly as much cause he knew that strategy wouldn't work with Tarver. The only time I really remember him to to the ropes against Tarver was when he was hurt in the 11th. All and all he lost those three fights fair and square no excuses but dont go and say he has no legs cause he always goes to the ropes.

LOL...there is a difference between going to the ropes because you want to, and because you have no choice. He did not want to go to the ropes against Glen Johnson, or Tarver, or Ajamu, or Trinidad for that matter...he had no choice, and he will have no choice against Calzaghe. In the third Tarver fight Roy spent the night running...so, I mean, if he wants to run to avoid the ropes, I guess he can.

Roy's legs are gone, he goes to the ropes because he doesn't have a choice now, not because he is choosing to...we saw him go to the ropes more and more throughout his career...especially late in it. It ain't because his legs are fresh, and if you notice, it happens more later in fights.

As for Glen Johnson...he beat Roy from pillar to post for 9 rounds and proceeded to knock him out. Nothing lucky there, and Roy wasn't on the ropes by design. LOL...come on, take off the Roy goggles and see reality.

Roy has no legs left.
JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 22 2008, 10:45 PM) [snapback]404977[/snapback]
Roy always gets backed into the ropes. He's been getting backed into the ropes since he was in his prime. He gets backed more these days because he isn't as quick as he once was. I'm really not impressed with Calzgahe as a fighter but I think he will beat RJ. Hope I'm wrong.

As I said, there is a difference between going to the ropes because you want to, and because you have no choice.

He gets backed up because he has no legs left.
BigG
QUOTE(JD @ Sep 23 2008, 02:47 AM) [snapback]404979[/snapback]
As I said, there is a difference between going to the ropes because you want to, and because you have no choice.

He gets backed up because he has no legs left.

And that's when he'll have to counter..in the middle of the ring, I don't think Roy will have too much problem getting to Calzgahe and even making him look bad.
JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 22 2008, 10:49 PM) [snapback]404980[/snapback]
And that's when he'll have to counter..ala Mayweather-Hatton.

Mayweather's legs aren't gone.

Roy needs to stand his ground in the center of the ring and fire the straight right consistently...countering off the ropes when he is backed up with no legs left is not the answer for him here.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(3King3 @ Sep 23 2008, 02:38 AM) [snapback]404974[/snapback]
Glen Johnson caught Roy with one lucky shot.

Are you on drugs? Roy took a beatdown in that fight there was no luck involved except he was lucky it did not happen earlier.

We all know ROID was a drug cheat his entire career he just had the money to get the right masking agents.
King Eugene
At the end of the day I still see Roy winning but if it goes to decision I see Joe winning not cause he was effective but just cause the judges will think those slaps to the arms and chest where effective and he will appear as the more active fighter.

Roy by TKO and again THIS WILL NOT BE AN UPSET
JD
When is the last time Roy stopped someone?

I'll answer for you...6 years ago.
King Eugene
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Sep 22 2008, 10:53 PM) [snapback]404982[/snapback]
Are you on drugs? Roy took a beatdown in that fight there was no luck involved except he was lucky it did not happen earlier.

We all know ROID was a drug cheat his entire career he just had the money to get the right masking agents.

Stevenski...go somewhere and sat yourself on fire.
JD
Who scored a stoppage more recently, Roy Jones or Paul Malignaggi?
BigG
Glen John did beat Roy up but Calzaghe is not as strong as Johnson and Johnson has a better chin too. Johnson is the Margarito of the Light-Heavyweights. You can't hurt him.

Calzaghe well...he is a guy who comes forward and throws a million slaps...and has good skills.

Different fighters.
King Eugene
Roy Wins!!!

If he lose, and lose clearly, I'll say is better AT THIS TIME IN THEIR CAREERS and shut up about it. No excuses...but until then. Roy Beats Joe!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(3King3 @ Sep 23 2008, 02:55 AM) [snapback]404985[/snapback]
Stevenski...go somewhere and sat yourself on fire.

Why would I want to do that? I enjoy seeing Roy getting beaten up.

Oh yeah JD his last true KO was Glen fucking Kelly & whilst Kelly is a ATG he is not in Calzhage turf.

The shemale scored a more recent win by stoppage JD.
BigG
I thought Glen Kelly was a legend in Australia..
STEVENSKI
Second best garbage man on the central coast outside Kali Meehan.
BigG
LOL laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 22 2008, 11:25 PM) [snapback]404994[/snapback]
I thought Glen Kelly was a legend in Australia..

Yea I did too, didnt they have statues of him and KT somewhere around there like in Rocky?
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Sep 22 2008, 10:37 PM) [snapback]404996[/snapback]
Second best garbage man on the central coast outside Kali Meehan.

HAHAHA
JonnyBlaze
Also,Roy got a bad beating against Johnson..It was the wrong fight to pick after the recent KO against Tarver..Roy looks like he is for real with this comeback and he could beat Calzaghe..I would give a huge edge to Calzaghe though..I hope Roy turns into RJ in the fight though then Calzaghe will have maddd problems..Its not likely,but ya can always hope..
STEVENSKI
Actually Kali Meehan in now in contention for a WT shot. He is a pretty good fighter & with todays division he could win a title.

Both Kali & Glen were garbage collectors.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 23 2008, 02:35 AM) [snapback]405014[/snapback]
lol.

3king3. Jones isn't winning. I only give him a punchers chance. He couldn't even put away a chubby PR that Hopkins did 7 years earlier and 10lbs lighter.

We Shall See!
JD
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Sep 22 2008, 11:22 PM) [snapback]404993[/snapback]
Oh yeah JD his last true KO was Glen fucking Kelly & whilst Kelly is a ATG he is not in Calzhage turf.

The shemale scored a more recent win by stoppage JD.

LOL...

Correct and correct.

Who scored a stoppage more recently, Roy Jones or Ivan Calderon?
BigG
Well I have to say Roy has at least show some power lately. Since the Woods fight he's been 4-3 and he's gone up to Heavyweight to ROCK Ruiz, then back down to hurt Prince Badi Amaju, drop Tito twice, and drop & hurt Hanshaw.

I think Roy is still a better puncher than the winging SLAPSMAN
Douchebag
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 23 2008, 08:24 AM) [snapback]405028[/snapback]
Well I have to say Roy has at least show some power lately. Since the Woods fight he's been 4-3 and he's gone up to Heavyweight to ROCK Ruiz, then back down to hurt Prince Badi Amaju, drop Tito twice, and drop & hurt Hanshaw.

Roy has the power to put most of the people he fights away, what he lacks is the killer instinct to go out and finish a guy. He is going to have to develop a mean streak in order to beat ho happy slappy.
JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 23 2008, 08:24 AM) [snapback]405028[/snapback]

Roy has some power, but he has no interest in taking the chance necessary to bang a guy out of there...that, and the fact that he does not have legs and will get tired trying to do so.

That said, how many fighters have dropped Tito? Now take that, and add a 32 month inactive streak at a weight far above his prime. Hanshaw? Didn't Andre Dirrell just blast him out of there at 168? Ajamu? LOL. Ruiz? That fight was 5 and a half years ago...5 and a half.

I will be rooting for Roy...but some dudes need to return to reality here. Calzaghe isn't fighting Jones because he has looked great...or even good.
BigG
I agree, I don't know why Roy didn't go for the kill vs. Tito and Hansahw. Hanshaw was tired and hurt. Roy even rocked Tarver in round 5 of their fight. If Roy gets Calzgahe hurt he needs to really go for it.
JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 23 2008, 09:20 AM) [snapback]405031[/snapback]
I agree, I don't know why Roy didn't go for the kill vs. Tito and Hansahw. Hanshaw was tired and hurt. Roy even rocked Tarver in round 5 of their fight. If Roy gets Calzgahe hurt he needs to really go for it.

He won't.

He is worried he will gas if he does...and odds are, he will. His legs are gone.
Mean Mister Mustard
Yeah why didn't he go for the finish against Hanshaw? If it would have been the 6th round and he was worried about stamina it would have been OK but it wasn't it was the 11th round, whch tells you he's either too reluctant or he didn't have much left and said fuck it.
PR316
Unfortunately, Roy will have to be more aggressive than he probablyl wants to. Against Tito, he really should have scored the KO. He had him done in that 7th round but decided to play around instead. I think Roy still has reflexes and hand speed, while his legs unfortunately are gone like all great fighters that reach that age.

Good thing for Roy is that Joe isn't likely to hurt him so he might not be as cautious because of that alone there. But with Calzaghe throwing punches in bunches, Roy will have to make sure that he gets through CLEANLY often enough for the judges to see. Roy could possibly also score 1 or 2 knockdowns in the fight being that Calzaghe is so risky and tends to come in and back out with his hands out of position and chin in the air, and that could possibly play into the scoring.

I think Calzaghe by decision is the right call. But I think Roy could be live in there. He's still very fast and strong even at 39.
thehype
Jones TKO8 as Calzaghe is floored by a lead straight right.
Method
First of all, Glen Johnson is NOT the Margarito of the lt hvywt division.

Second of all....

Glen Johnson caught Roy with one lucky shot.

LMMFAO! You literally must've turned the fight on 1 second before the knockout.
caneman
QUOTE(Method @ Sep 23 2008, 02:33 PM) [snapback]405049[/snapback]
First of all, Glen Johnson is NOT the Margarito of the lt hvywt division.

Second of all....
LMMFAO! You literally must've turned the fight on 1 seconds before the knockout.

fOR REALZ...it was 100's of lucky shots if that is the case!
KookedKrack
As much as i hate calslappy, I don't see this version of roy beating him.
King Eugene
Roy will Win!
D-MARV
QUOTE(thehype @ Sep 23 2008, 11:58 AM) [snapback]405037[/snapback]
Jones TKO8 as Calzaghe is floored by a lead straight right.

Good prediction Hype!!!!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Sep 23 2008, 07:26 AM) [snapback]405029[/snapback]
Roy has the power to put most of the people he fights away, what he lacks is the killer instinct to go out and finish a guy. He is going to have to develop a mean streak in order to beat ho happy slappy.

I like that Roy doesn't have the "killer instinct",its not him..Everytime he'd finish guys early in his career,I don't think it was aggression,it was skill..When he'd finish guys,it'd always be calculated punches that would all land..Roy is a nice guy and he reflects that in the ring..He is a cocky guy too and that also shows by how slick he tries to act in the ring..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 23 2008, 11:29 PM) [snapback]405103[/snapback]
It also shows outside the ring also.

Yeah,basically his whole personality shows in the ring..Almost every fighter is like this..The way I fight is through my personality..Some people might not even know it,but when you break it down,it is..Roy is cocky,which is why he acts soo slick in the ring..
JonnyBlaze
Personality and mental stregth is also shown through your work ethic in the gym..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.