Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Williams' Future
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
salvador
After watching the fight last night, I'm surprised that there weren't any new threads about Williams' prospects going forward - so I figured I'd start one.

I've been extremely high on Williams since the Mitchell fight (though, admittedly, I did put $100 on Marg) and from what I saw last night, he's improved dramatically since then. His punches are shorter and heavier and his confidence is through the roof. I actually think that the loss to Quintana was a major asset to him, as I think it focused him and he learned a ton from the experience.

I think it's fair to say that there aren't any wws of consequence who will ever get in the ring with him. I happen to think that he'd take Floyd all day all night and that Marg would lose by a wider margin the next time. (DLH obviously ain't getting anywhere near Paul. If DLH can sell $16MM of tickets for fighting a featherweight, there ain't no chance he's EVER going to fight a serious opponent again.) So the question is, where does Paul go from here? - cause he ain't never getting Cotto, Floyd, Marg, Berto, Judah or DLH.

To me, the obvious candidate is Winky at 160. Winky would jump at the chance and Paul would get universal respect for taking him out. Winky can't hurt him, so he doesn't have to worry about his questionable defensive skills. And Paul would certainly outwork Winky, taking a fairly one sided decision. (I'd actually bet on Paul by KO.)

After beating Winky, I think that a fight with Pavlik would be as great a fight as the sport has to offer.

Whether it's fair or not, Williams has to face the fact that he's a mw by default. The pussies at ww will never fight him and he's got to move on. Personally, this hurts me greatly because I really want to see Floyd humiliated before he retires, but the truth is that real boxing fans know that that wifebeating piece of shit is ducking Paul and we'll have to live with that knowledge as consolation.
BigG
he pussies at ww will never fight him
Like how your boy, a natural Junior Middlweight Antonio Margarito decided not give him a rematch?

but the truth is that real boxing fans know that that wifebeating piece of shit is ducking Paul

1-Floyd is retired.
2-When has ever beat on his wife?

Wow, Paul KO's Winky, a man who's fought Jermain Taylor, Fernando Vargas, Shane Mosley, Felix Trinidad, Bernard Hopkins and never been hurt against either of them because of how spectacular Paul looked against a bum. Paul has never seen anything like Winky before dude.

I guess Paul Williams is the new SUPERMAN because of how he beat superman Margarito, going 1-1 with Quintana, and Kolle. I like Williams but you are overrating him.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 26 2008, 11:57 PM) [snapback]405368[/snapback]
Like how your boy, a natural Junior Middlweight Antonio Margarito decided not give him a rematch?
1-Floyd is retired.

Wow, Paul KO's Winky, a man who's fought Jermain Taylor, Fernando Vargas, Shane Mosley, Felix Trinidad, Bernard Hopkins and never been hurt against either of them because of how spectacular Paul looked against a bum. Paul has never seen anything like Winky before dude.

I guess Paul Williams is the new SUPERMAN because of how he beat superman Margarito, going 1-1 with Quintana, and Kolle. I like Williams but you are overrating him.

You're right it wasn't PBF's wife I think it was just a girlfriend, possibly the mother of his children but I'm pretty sure it wasn't his wife.

Not sure Paul KO's Winky either, but to be fair he only put it up as a possible scenario. No doubt though Winky looked a touch slower and easier to hit in last fight with Nard, that must be tempered though with the fact that Nard makes everyone look lousy.

I think the WW debate is a dead issue though, Williams looked so comfortable at MW (even though it was kinda a bum of the month opponent) that he would lose a lot of himself to drain back down to WW.

I don't know how many times we've seen guys try and go back down and fail, but it's a lot.

I think the same thing with Pavlik. I really believe his MW reign is over for the same reasons but I guess we'll see.

You must admit though Williams seems to have found his inner beast since the Quintana loss.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Sep 27 2008, 12:29 AM) [snapback]405371[/snapback]
You're right it wasn't PBF's wife I think it was just a girlfriend, possibly the mother of his children but I'm pretty sure it wasn't his wife.

Not sure Paul KO's Winky either, but to be fair he only put it up as a possible scenario. No doubt though Winky looked a touch slower and easier to hit in last fight with Nard, that must be tempered though with the fact that Nard makes everyone look lousy.

I think the WW debate is a dead issue though, Williams looked so comfortable at MW (even though it was kinda a bum of the month opponent) that he would lose a lot of himself to drain back down to WW.

I don't know how many times we've seen guys try and go back down and fail, but it's a lot.

I think the same thing with Pavlik. I really believe his MW reign is over for the same reasons but I guess we'll see.

You must admit though Williams seems to have found his inner beast since the Quintana loss.

All I gotta say is Paul Williams would never KO Winky,even if it was the Winky of new who likes to fight it out a bit..
salvador
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 27 2008, 12:57 AM) [snapback]405368[/snapback]
1-Floyd is retired.

My boy Margarito has no interest in fighting Williams again, ever. From what I've been reading, he's going to have a semi-easy fight in Jan/Feb and then fight Cotto again next summer. Williams can forget about Marg or Cotto for the next year - and I don't think Williams will be able to make 147 a year from now.

Come on George, you don't really believe Floyd's retired do you? Seriously????

And I could be wrong about Floyd beating his wife, but I do think I remember him having had some issues beating women (seperate from Roger's and Floyd Sr.'s issues). Wasn't the timing of the Gatti fight affected by his court dates for having assaulted a stripper in Vegas or something? And wasn't there also something in Flynt - I thought with his wife? In any event, Floyd would never get in the ring with Williams and I feel certain that you agree.

I would take a focused Paul Williams over all those guys you mentioned at the time Winky fought them. And I think Winky was down against Vargas.

Winky's about to turn 37 and he was having a hard time keeping up with a 43 year old Hopkins. And the reason I think he'd have serious problems with Paul is the same reason everyone would - Paul would have a 4 inch height advantage and a 10 inch reach advantage. How could Winky out jab a guy with a 10 inch reach advantage?

Mostly, the way Paul looked on thursday was spectacular. Obviously Winky ain't no Kolle, but Paul looked like a changed fighter - like he was living up to the potential of his frame. His punches were shorter and straighter, but at the same time he was definitely getting his legs into the punches. And that last combination was unbelievable. And we know for sure that Williams can take Winky's best punch. But can Winky take 100+ punches a round from a bigger, longer guy in his prime? I don't think so.

This fight needs to happen so I can prove you wrong again, just like you and everyone here were wrong about Margarito!
salvador
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Sep 27 2008, 01:29 AM) [snapback]405371[/snapback]

very well put.

I think the Quintana loss was great for him.
BigG
You'd take Williams over Hopkins at 170?
salvador
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 27 2008, 10:40 AM) [snapback]405387[/snapback]
You'd take Williams over Hopkins at 170?

I don't know. I was thinking more of Hopkins' age than his size. But the thing is that Williams looked so much stronger and sturdier at 160 that it's easy to imagine him looking even better at 170, and Hopkins just isn't throwing enough punches these days.

In his prime, Hopkins would have taken Williams. I'd take Pavlik over Williams as well.

Am I wrong about Floyd having legal issues in both Vegas and Flynt involving violence against women?

BigG
I'm not sure if your wrong about that but I do know he's never beaten his wife.

Hopkins even now would son Williams.

I guess I just don't think Williams is Superman. Look, the guy he beat last night was truly a C class opponent. I was impressed because he carried his speed up with him but come on, the guy he was fighting was FAR from a Top Contender.
salvador
The thing is that he looked so much sturdier and his punches were shorter and more accurate.

We're going to be able to have this debate for a while for the same reason we debated Marg's place for so long, because nobody is going to want to fight him. And that fact alone should let you know what the experts (the fighters themselves) think.

Williams has already beaten an A level guy in Marg. And in doing so, he proved that he had great stamina and a great chin. And given that I think that he's even stronger at 160 and his punching has improved, I think it's fair to assume that beating a 37 year old Winky is well within his capabilities. And Hopkins would get outworked at this point - assuming that Paul would look as good at 170.

Berto keeps saying he wants a top guy, let's see if he steps up to the plate. Somehow I doubt it.
BigG
And Salvador IMO I don't think Cotto has ducked anyone. He's not very vocal in calling out other fighters but he truly means when he says "I'll fight whoever my promoter puts in front of me"....Malignaggi, Quintana, Judah, Mosley, Margarito...now their looking for Clottey on Feb...then Margarito in June...
salvador
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 27 2008, 12:03 PM) [snapback]405398[/snapback]
And Salvador IMO I don't think Cotto has ducked anyone. He's not very vocal in calling out other fighters but he truly means when he says "I'll fight whoever my promoter puts in front of me"....Malignaggi, Quintana, Judah, Mosley, Margarito...now their looking for Clottey on Feb...then Margarito in June...

Cotto's had a very admirable and extremely well managed opponent list. But we won't have to worry about Cotto ducking Williams because Arum will do it for him. Cotto wouldn't stand a chance. He's just too small and Arum knows it. Frankly, I'd be shocked if Cotto fights Clottey in January. I think that's just Arum trying to keep Clottey happy. Arum doesn't have any interest in blowing another $20MM PPV.

Mean Mister Mustard
Salvador, whenever someone beats a guy by early knockout it is very hard to gauge much improvement other than the one you mentioned. Williaam's biggest liability is his defence or lack of it. We give him props for stopping Quintana in a round but I would have loved to have seen how he would have adapted to Quintana's movement.

Fact is if h stays at 160 or even if he moves down to 154 he will be facing stronger men and in the 1st Quintana fight tou could see Indio outmuscling him on the inside.

If Williams maintains his nefound power via better technique, as pointed out by Salvador, and can keep his speed and workrate he will be very dangerous. But like BG said, let's not get too carried away by him beating Kolle.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 27 2008, 12:02 PM) [snapback]405406[/snapback]
Salvador, whenever someone beats a guy by early knockout it is very hard to gauge much improvement other than the one you mentioned. Williaam's biggest liability is his defence or lack of it. We give him props for stopping Quintana in a round but I would have loved to have seen how he would have adapted to Quintana's movement.

Fact is if h stays at 160 or even if he moves down to 154 he will be facing stronger men and in the 1st Quintana fight tou could see Indio outmuscling him on the inside.

If Williams maintains his nefound power via better technique, as pointed out by Salvador, and can keep his speed and workrate he will be very dangerous. But like BG said, let's not get too carried away by him beating Kolle.

I agree with ya Mean Mister..You can't judge how good anyone can really be based off a quick first round KO against a guy who hasn't been around for too long..There are too many questions to be answered before saying he is the next great middleweight..
eternalfighter
i think at 154 hed be a good test for either Angulo, Kirkland, or Vanes M. i think they all have the power to take him out. at middleweight i think both Pavlik or Abraham would take him out. at welter is his best hope and even there if he fights Margarito again he would have to run around and hope for a decision like last time. but i think Margarito would realy go after him this time. in other words i think his future looks doubtful.
dbdbdb
I just watched the fight and Williams looked very calm, confident and strong. The one thing I noticed was the difference in his focus, it was all business.

On topic: No one at WW is going to want to fight this guy after watching him perform at MW. Its not soo much a question of heart, but just what tactic does a 5"8" WW use against this guy. And now he is demonstrating POWER in his punches as a Pro., like he did as an amateur.

I totally agree with what has been stated, Margarito doesn't want to go down the road that leads to Williams any time soon. Because it is not only a dangerous fight, but a fight that will probally result in him giving another belt to Williams, BEFORE he has a chance to cash-in.

I also, don't think after Margarito, Cotto wants or needs to get into a fight with another TALL fighter who can punch.

Berto isn't ready to deal with a Williams .... I don't care what anyone says. Berto might as well just give Williams the belt without fighting him, because Williams will take it just as easily.

After watching that fight, Williams seem to be able to carry the weight well, Plus he can workout at WW. So, he's a very dangerous fight for each and every WW out there and soon will be a serious factor at MW.

So, it all comes down to ............ Who's going to step up to the plate to fight him.

Whoever does step-up ...... better be prepared to lose their belt.
Mean Mister Mustard
Could the man even make 147 again? Or more importantly, can he make it without it affecting his performance?
salvador
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 27 2008, 10:29 PM) [snapback]405438[/snapback]
Could the man even make 147 again? Or more importantly, can he make it without it affecting his performance?

He's been walking around at 170 for years. He's fine at 147. The question isn't whether or not he can make the weight, it's whether or not anyone at 147 would consider fighting him. And the answer to that is a resounding "no".

And at the top of the list of the guys at 147 who would never under any circumstances consider fighting him - Floyd Mayweather.

Mean Mister Mustard
Luiz Collazo would fight him. Both guys have no choice and I think "Louie" could beat him.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 27 2008, 10:48 PM) [snapback]405445[/snapback]
Luiz Collazo would fight him. Both guys have no choice and I think "Louie" could beat him.

Mean Mister Mustard!!!!! ...... I can't believe you of all people wrote that dntknw.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Sep 27 2008, 11:28 PM) [snapback]405466[/snapback]
Mean Mister Mustard!!!!! ...... I can't believe you of all people wrote that dntknw.gif

Man, slick southpaw Puerto Rican. That remind you of anyone?
JonnyBlaze
I don't think Callazo would beat him but he has a chance..Callazo would definitely pose some problems..I've been saying this for over a year that Williams is the guy to unify the belts at 147..I think Berto would give him a really good fight and could possibly beat him..Cotto would give him a good fight but Williams would be able to land big shots and a lot of shots..If Cotto had any problems dealing with Margarito's height,he hasn't seen anything yet..haha..I think Berto should fight Cotto next and the winner should fight Williams..During that time Williams should fight Margarito again if Margarito is willing to do the fight..
slap
QUOTE(eternalfighter @ Sep 27 2008, 06:56 PM) [snapback]405427[/snapback]
i think at 154 hed be a good test for either Angulo, Kirkland, or Vanes M. i think they all have the power to take him out. at middleweight i think both Pavlik or Abraham would take him out. at welter is his best hope and even there if he fights Margarito again he would have to run around and hope for a decision like last time. but i think Margarito would realy go after him this time. in other words i think his future looks doubtful.

I don't think Abraham could be williams he is 2 stationary both guys r easy 2 hit but I think paul gets the best of him. Now as far as pavlik I don't think he stands a chance maybe he's better skill wise and we all know paul can take a punch but pavlik hits really hard so I think pavlik kos williams. But if he was 2 fight margarito again I think he wins easily just like if cotto fights tony again he wins easily but I don't think he will fight another good ww any time soon so maybe a fight with forest at 154 or maybe even cory spinks at 154 the guy needs a pay day and he has a little name. But paul said he would fight anyone from 147 to 168 so what about a fight with jermain taylor.
slap
QUOTE(eternalfighter @ Sep 27 2008, 06:56 PM) [snapback]405427[/snapback]

I don't think Abraham could be williams he is 2 stationary both guys r easy 2 hit but I think paul gets the best of him. Now as far as pavlik I don't think he stands a chance maybe he's better skill wise and we all know paul can take a punch but pavlik hits really hard so I think pavlik kos williams. But if he was 2 fight margarito again I think he wins easily just like if cotto fights tony again he wins easily but I don't think he will fight another good ww any time soon so maybe a fight with forest at 154 or maybe even cory spinks at 154 the guy needs a pay day and he has a little name. But paul said he would fight anyone from 147 to 168 so what about a fight with jermain taylor.
D-MARV
QUOTE(slap @ Sep 28 2008, 04:09 PM) [snapback]405694[/snapback]
I don't think Abraham could be williams he is 2 stationary both guys r easy 2 hit but I think paul gets the best of him.

Abraham isn't all that easy to hit! He keeps a pretty good high guard! Im not ready to say that PWill beats Arthur Abraham... but I wouldn't be surprised!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 28 2008, 04:05 PM) [snapback]405696[/snapback]
Abraham isn't all that easy to hit! He keeps a pretty good high guard! Im not ready to say that PWill beats Arthur Abraham... but I wouldn't be surprised!

I'm definitely not ready to say Williams would beat Abraham either..You have to remember who Williams just fought..Kolle isn't a elite middleweight by far..I think Williams could be successful at middleweight but he will have problems with the elite middleweights..In my opinion,I don't think he can beat Pavlik..Abraham would be a really tough fight for Williams too..Williams has a insane reach but doesn't always use it like he should..
eternalfighter
QUOTE(slap @ Sep 28 2008, 01:08 PM) [snapback]405693[/snapback]

Taylor at 168...i think Taylor takes him out. if Williams can be hurt at welter for sure power punchers 154+ can take him out. thats why i think his best chance is at welter where i think only 1 fighter has a chance to stop him, and thats Margarito. i hope there is a rematch but i also think PW gota put in work at welter to get it.
eternalfighter
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 28 2008, 07:49 PM) [snapback]405731[/snapback]
Haven't seen many of Williams early fights, but which fight was Williams hurt in at welter?

the Margarito fight...clearly in the 7th round.
BigG
Jermain Taylor would beat Paul Williams up I'm SURE about that.
eternalfighter
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 28 2008, 08:49 PM) [snapback]405740[/snapback]
I honestly don't remember him being really hurt in that fight. I will have to have another look at that round later.

he was stunned when Margarito landed clean punches, but he was in big trouble in the 7th round. check it out.
salvador
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 28 2008, 11:35 PM) [snapback]405737[/snapback]
Jermain Taylor would beat Paul Williams up I'm SURE about that.

Pre-Hopkins, sure. Post Spinks, who knows?

I don't think Taylor's heart is in it anymore.
BigG
Spinks is a tougher style matchup for JT. Elusive, quick, hard to hit.
BigG
He beat Ouma up. He didn't look good but Ouma really came to fight that night, ridiculous heart. He stood up to some vicious punches.
King Eugene
LMAO, Taylor isn't going to just beat Williams up. Thats just not whats going to Happen. But it would be a great fight.

As far as Winky is concerned. I dont see him knocking Winky out at all. Hell I dont even see him hurting Winky, at best I see Williams wining a split decision against Winky. Yea Winky didn't look good against BNard but hell who does plus he has never had the most exciting fight. Just cause someone cant hurt you doesn't automatically mean you'll walk right through their punches and you'll knock them out. Thats just not whats going to happen either.

I see it going to a split decision with Winky getting the short end of the stick like always.

Speaking of Winky, has anyone heard of any potential opponents lately?
slap
QUOTE(3King3 @ Sep 29 2008, 10:00 PM) [snapback]405839[/snapback]
LMAO, Taylor isn't going to just beat Williams up. Thats just not whats going to Happen. But it would be a great fight.

As far as Winky is concerned. I dont see him knocking Winky out at all. Hell I dont even see him hurting Winky, at best I see Williams wining a split decision against Winky. Yea Winky didn't look good against BNard but hell who does plus he has never had the most exciting fight. Just cause someone cant hurt you doesn't automatically mean you'll walk right through their punches and you'll knock them out. Thats just not whats going to happen either.

I see it going to a split decision with Winky getting the short end of the stick like always.

Speaking of Winky, has anyone heard of any potential opponents lately?

Yeah I heard that if Abraham wins his next fight then they will match the 2 and the winner gets pavlik in a unification match
RayFanofRealBoxers
QUOTE(eternalfighter @ Sep 27 2008, 04:56 PM) [snapback]405427[/snapback]

EternalFighter you hit the nail on the head. Margarito would most definitely coming running at Williams if they fought again. Margarito has changed his fight plan since he fought Williams the first time around. He no longer is a slow starter, that is why he beat Cotto. Most boxers do not know how to fight going backwards. And Margarito has a solid chin. Williams does not.
D-MARV
QUOTE(RayFanofRealBoxers @ Oct 5 2008, 03:28 PM) [snapback]406207[/snapback]
EternalFighter you hit the nail on the head. Margarito would most definitely coming running at Williams if they fought again. Margarito has changed his fight plan since he fought Williams the first time around. He no longer is a slow starter, that is why he beat Cotto. Most boxers do not know how to fight going backwards. And Margarito has a solid chin. Williams does not.

I love how "Tony Fans" just assume that Tony starts faster now because he came out the gates smoking against who? Golden Johnson? LOL
Tony is a beast but PWILL is better. PWill would win another UD!
Mean Mister Mustard
So far the only person who can hang with Williams on the inside is Margarito. If Margarito can go to the body from round 1 he could slow Williams down. What scares me about Williams isn't really his stamina, which is good, it is his total disregard to getting punched. They just don't seem to bother him. He absorbed flush shots all night from Quintana and didn't seem like he was worn down at all. Some people might come in and say "Well Quintana is not a puncher" And I would not argue. However, getting hit that flush you would have expected the guy to become more reluctant or at least appear to be on the brink of a stoppage in the late rounds. Instead he just kept on chugging along like it was the first round.

A good boxer should be able to beat Williams. guys like Collzo, Quintana and Mayweather. Anyone else would have to do serious damage to him in order to win and if Margarito couldn't it is hard to imagine who could.
RayFanofRealBoxers
I just watched the Vargas-Trinidad fight tonight. Got it on tape.
I can't believe how dirty Tito fought that night. Almost forgot about that. He threw 3 low blows and every time Vargas wanted to throw the uppercut Tito would grab or wrap his arm around Vargas. And Vargas knocked him down in the 4th round. I am glad Nady deducted 2 points from Trinidad for the low blows. He was scared of 22 year old Vargas knocking his ass out.
Even though Vargas landed on his ass twice he still got up and gave it his all without resorting to dirty tactics.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(RayFanofRealBoxers @ Oct 5 2008, 11:45 PM) [snapback]406234[/snapback]
I just watched the Vargas-Trinidad fight tonight. Got it on tape.
I can't believe how dirty Tito fought that night. Almost forgot about that. He threw 3 low blows and every time Vargas wanted to throw the uppercut Tito would grab or wrap his arm around Vargas. And Vargas knocked him down in the 4th round. I am glad Nady deducted 2 points from Trinidad for the low blows. He was scared of 22 year old Vargas knocking his ass out.
Even though Vargas landed on his ass twice he still got up and gave it his all without resorting to dirty tactics.

I have no idea why you decided to put this in this forum since it has nothing to do with anything talked about..I agree with you though and Vargas showed he was a better man by not going dirty while Trinidad was fighting extremely dirty in that fight..I think he must of though Vargas was going to try to bully him and he decided to be dirty to show Vargas he wasn't going to take that kinda shit..This really reminds me of the Mosley/Mayorga fight..Mosley for some weird reason fought really dirty but I do gotta say that even though Mayorga was trying to be innocent he definitely wasn't..
King Eugene
No more WW's beats Williams at this point. He should clean up the division unless they just wont fight him and then move up. It was secure his legacy more if he is able to do that.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 7 2008, 09:36 PM) [snapback]406424[/snapback]
No more WW's beats Williams at this point. He should clean up the division unless they just wont fight him and then move up. It was secure his legacy more if he is able to do that.

I'd want him to fight Cotto,Margarito again,Clottey,and Berto before he moves on..Also maybe someone like Lujan to hold himself over before one of those guys steps up..
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Oct 8 2008, 03:07 AM) [snapback]406461[/snapback]
I'd want him to fight Cotto,Margarito again,Clottey,and Berto before he moves on..Also maybe someone like Lujan to hold himself over before one of those guys steps up..

I'd like that too but Cotto and Marg wont fight him. Clottey challenged him and told Williams to call his people but if he really wanted the fight he would call Williams people and Dibella already said PWill is a monster and he isn't letting Berto in the ring with him.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 8 2008, 02:21 AM) [snapback]406463[/snapback]
I'd like that too but Cotto and Marg wont fight him. Clottey challenged him and told Williams to call his people but if he really wanted the fight he would call Williams people and Dibella already said PWill is a monster and he isn't letting Berto in the ring with him.

If Berto had quite a few more fights I'd want to see him in with Williams..The size difference would be big but I think Berto would be competitive IF he was farther into his career..Berto needs more fights under him and stepping up to Williams this soon for him wouldn't be good..Clottey and Williams would be good and I knew Clottey would want that fight since he is a beast and wants to fight the best..I figured Cotto and Marg would punk out of this fight but it's good Cotto doesn't take this fight..Then he'd be ruined forever if he took this fight next..Williams would be all over him and Cotto's jab wouldn't be as effective unless he got up on his toes and caught Williams jab and stepped in with his..I'm starting to think Williams should just go to middleweight since everyone is acting like bitches at welterweight when his name is brought up..
RayFanofRealBoxers
Margarito does not want to give Williams the rematch right away because, when he wanted the rematch first right after the first fight, Williams camp refused and elected to fight Quintana instead 4 months later. And looked what happened there, he lost.
I read an article on boxingscene.com that proved that Margarito even sent a letter to Goosen requesting a rematch and they still refused. So think of it as payback, now Williams needs Margarito more than Margarito needs him. That's why this last Williams fight with Kolle was shown on the Versus channel and not HBO or Showtime.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(RayFanofRealBoxers @ Oct 8 2008, 11:10 AM) [snapback]406489[/snapback]
Margarito does not want to give Williams the rematch right away because, when he wanted the rematch first right after the first fight, Williams camp refused and elected to fight Quintana instead 4 months later. And looked what happened there, he lost.
I read an article on boxingscene.com that proved that Margarito even sent a letter to Goosen requesting a rematch and they still refused. So think of it as payback, now Williams needs Margarito more than Margarito needs him. That's why this last Williams fight with Kolle was shown on the Versus channel and not HBO or Showtime.

Ray Ray Ray,

Don't give us this payback crap, tell it like it is.

I guess it all depends on how you want to view it.

When Marg took the first Williams fight he pissed off the Arum who was planning to offer him up as a sacrificial lamb to Cotto (Phew Bob! bet you're now glad you were able to delay that particualar bullet by at least a couple more paydays).

Sooo.... after he fought Williams (and lost) Marg didn't really have anything on the table, certainly not Cotto at that time, so of course he asked for the rematch. Paul did what a lot of guys do, thought he'd take some easier money and then tripped up against Quintana.

Now fast forward, Tony finally gets the opportunity to do his thang against Cotto, does it pretty spectacularly and guess what he's now looking to do? Take the EASIER payday!

On one hand I can understand that, it makes sense to me, bit on the other.......... well Rayfan lets just say you've made it clear to everyone on this board that 'real' Mexicans will fight the best out there, anywhere, anytime and the money is secondary.

It must really hurt you to now see Tony playing 'the game' . It certainly hurts you enough to make up sorry arse excuses for the guy.

I personally don't have a problem with it, I'm happy for Tony to finally cash up and make some easy dollars but boy, it must really be paining you.
hardhead
QUOTE(RayFanofRealBoxers @ Oct 8 2008, 04:10 PM) [snapback]406489[/snapback]

Politics. Par for the course in Boxing. Margarito in fighting Mosley and a rematch with Cotto(which is being proposed for June) because both of those fights are less risk and bring more money to the table than Williams. Nothing more nothing less, and while I want to see the Williams/Margarito rematch more than any other fight in the division, because it would be a far better fight than either of those two matchups IMO, Margarito has paid his dues and deserves a couple of paydays.

Williams should just stay busy and keep his name out in the public(I'd go with a Clotty or Berto), eventually Margarito will have to fight him because he is the last man to beat Margarito, so no matter how many wins Margarito piles up he will still have that loss hanging over his head and Margarito will want to avenge that loss. I have to think the type of fighter Margarito is he will want to get that L back.
Fitz
QUOTE(hardhead @ Oct 9 2008, 10:08 AM) [snapback]406509[/snapback]
Politics. Par for the course in Boxing. Margarito in fighting Mosley and a rematch with Cotto(which is being proposed for June) because both of those fights are less risk and bring more money to the table than Williams. Nothing more nothing less, and while I want to see the Williams/Margarito rematch more than any other fight in the division, because it would be a far better fight than either of those two matchups IMO, Margarito has paid his dues and deserves a couple of paydays.

Williams should just stay busy and keep his name out in the public(I'd go with a Clotty or Berto), eventually Margarito will have to fight him because he is the last man to beat Margarito, so no matter how many wins Margarito piles up he will still have that loss hanging over his head and Margarito will want to avenge that loss. I have to think the type of fighter Margarito is he will want to get that L back.

In future. You probably shouldn't give that guy a serious response. But agree with what you said.
King Eugene
LOL, that guy is a trip. Damn it must suck braging on your fighter about how tough and hard nose he is and dont fight for money but for the legacy and then he turns around and get a little "say so" and start acting just like a Prizefighter. ITS BOXING!

Williams would prove he is the best WW in the division if the belt holders would fight him. He may just have to face it and realize the only one that will fight him is Clottey cause he is trying to make a name for himself and Margarito wont fight him at the moment cause it is trying to get some low risk high reward fights. I wont be suprised if he calls Judah out at the end of the year.

Speaking of Judah, he just signed to Roy Jones Jr. Square Ring and will be fighting on the undercard of Jones vs. Calzaghe at 140
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 8 2008, 06:13 PM) [snapback]406510[/snapback]
In future. You probably shouldn't give that guy a serious response. But agree with what you said.

HAHA..No shit Fitz..He doesn't listen and only says what he thinks and thinks everyone else is wrong..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.