Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joan Guzman set to fight Nate Campbell FOR FREE!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thehype
JOAN GUZMAN SET TO FIGHT NATE CAMPBELL FOR FREE?

Sources close to the situation have informed us that an offer was made to Don King Productions to have Joan Guzman fight Nate Campbell for free. The terms of the offer allow King to keep Guzman's entire purse and give it to Campbell. Guzman and Campbell were originally slated to headline a Showtime Championship Boxing card on September 13th in Biloxi, Mississippi, but Guzman came in 3.5 pounds over the lightweight limit before later being taken to the hospital and treated for dehydration. On the night of the fight, he was diagnosed as unfit to fight and pulled out of his scheduled bout with Campbell.

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3525.html

That's crazy...but hey, if Guzman is willing to do it, then why not?

Wasn't Castillo basically fighting for free when he fought Ricky Hatton?
JD
Well, this is one way for Guzman to make make it up to Campbell and the fans.

Nate Campbell is a pretty principled dude though, and he may tell Guzman "no thanks" because he is now focusing on the Diaz rematch or Marquez.
D-MARV
I understand that Guzman f*cked up but this is crazy!!!!
DONT DO IT GUZMAN... you gotta feed your family! At Least take 20 % or something like that!
Spyder
It can't REALLY be for free. There must be some kind of agreement where Joan gets paid if he wins...
salvador
I love it! If it's true, then Guzman is a fighter worth watching and rooting for. He obviously believes he'll win and it'll be a good business decision. Let's see this fight!

I've always wished that someone would say the same thing to DLH. Like if Marg said "I'll fight DLH for free just for the exposure - I want the whole world to see me ko that guy." But it never happens. Guzman stepping up to the plate would be reason enough to put it on PPV.
JonnyBlaze
Guzman redeems himself!!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(salvador @ Sep 30 2008, 09:42 PM) [snapback]405930[/snapback]
Guzman stepping up to the plate would be reason enough to put it on PPV.

HELLL NOOOOO!!
King Eugene
He is dumb as hell if he does it. Stepping in the ring and putting your life on the line for free is ridiculous. I understand you want to prove that you are really sorry for what happen but thats insane. Plus who would even train him for free?

PPV Worthy...hell no! Another question...would he even be motivated for this fight if he was getting NOTHING at all?
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(3King3 @ Sep 30 2008, 11:11 PM) [snapback]405939[/snapback]
He is dumb as hell if he does it. Stepping in the ring and putting your life on the line for free is ridiculous. I understand you want to prove that you are really sorry for what happen but thats insane. Plus who would even train him for free?

PPV Worthy...hell no! Another question...would he even be motivated for this fight if he was getting NOTHING at all?

I was thinking the same thing. It's not worth getting in the ring and risking your life for free. I doubt if something bad did happen to Guzman that Don King would give his family a cut of the money anyway. So don't do it. It's not worth it.
BigG
Fuckin crazy....if he does this, this more than makes up for what he did.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
But isn't getting in your car almost as dangerous these days?

I admire Guzman for trying to put things right.

He sure fucked up bad when he didn't make weight and if this story is true at least he's not making pussy excuses just trying to get on and do the job.

If anything I would think he would be MORE motivated because the fight really would have to be a 'must win' so that he can grab the title and cash in his chips.

I wish more boxers would think this way when sitting out fights for bigger pusres (although the free part is a little extreme).

Ultimately you've got to speculate to accumulate.

King Eugene
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Oct 1 2008, 02:36 AM) [snapback]405950[/snapback]
But isn't getting in your car almost as dangerous these days?

I admire Guzman for trying to put things right.

He sure fucked up bad when he didn't make weight and if this story is true at least he's not making pussy excuses just trying to get on and do the job.

If anything I would think he would be MORE motivated because the fight really would have to be a 'must win' so that he can grab the title and cash in his chips.

I wish more boxers would think this way when sitting out fights for bigger pusres (although the free part is a little extreme).

Ultimately you've got to speculate to accumulate.

Yea getting in your car is dangerous but more than likely its cause you have to for transportation. He dont have to fight for free. Thats not smart.

Put yourself in his shoes.

Say what you want...I would and I'm sure a whole lot of other folks on this forum wouldn't just fight for free to prove that your sorry. You have a better chance at getting hurt fighting than getting in your car and riding to the corner store.
Blayde
Sounds crazy indeed, but Guzman knows it wont get easier for him to get any big fights right now. Maybe he thinks he has to do something like that, although I cant really imagine this will happen.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(Blayde @ Oct 1 2008, 03:16 AM) [snapback]405960[/snapback]
Sounds crazy indeed, but Guzman knows it wont get easier for him to get any big fights right now. Maybe he thinks he has to do something like that, although I cant really imagine this will happen.

My thoughts eaxctly! And Guzman knows he's not getting any younger.

Everyone knows he's fine boxer but his style can be hard for non-hardcore fans to watch, Katsidis he is not, so decent paydays unless he's got a strap probably aren't in his future.

Guzman has kinda been frozen out of the picture for a while, (sort of like Nate Campbell was a while back, but without the losses) and he went and blew his big opportunity.

Maybe he feels if he doesn't get a shot now he'll find it a whole bunch harder to get a shot in the near future, so he rolls the dice, backs his talent and hopes Campbell goes for it.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Oct 1 2008, 03:27 AM) [snapback]405963[/snapback]
My thoughts eaxctly! And Guzman knows he's not getting any younger.

Everyone knows he's fine boxer but his style can be hard for non-hardcore fans to watch, Katsidis he is not, so decent paydays unless he's got a strap probably aren't in his future.

Guzman has kinda been frozen out of the picture for a while, (sort of like Nate Campbell was a while back, but without the losses) and he went and blew his big opportunity.

Maybe he feels if he doesn't get a shot now he'll find it a whole bunch harder to get a shot in the near future, so he rolls the dice, backs his talent and hopes Campbell goes for it.

I think non-harcore fans would like Guzman just as much as us hardcore fans..The Jorge Barrios fight is a prime example of what I'm talkin about..It was a SD for him but it was a dope fight to watch and I think everyone would of liked it and really liked Guzman in the fight..He throws some really crazy,really fast combos and is a really good counter puncher..
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
You'd think then at 31 he'd be a bigger attraction than he is.
Mean Mister Mustard
I think Campbell will take the fight. It's not like he has anywhere to go himself.
Douchebag
I just could not see him going out like that........Joan is a stand up dude.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 30 2008, 09:10 PM) [snapback]405926[/snapback]
I understand that Guzman f*cked up but this is crazy!!!!
DONT DO IT GUZMAN... you gotta feed your family! At Least take 20 % or something like that!

Campbell has gotta feed his family too.....and Guzman messed that up for him by being unprofessional and not making wieght.

I suppose I don't agree with him fighting for free, but he DEFINATELY should fight for a small %
Big Slim Sweet
It's a ballsy suggestion, but I agree with 3king, he shouldn't do it. Take short money, for sure - short, short money - hell he has no choice really there as he's going to have to now after fucking up the way he did. But nothing for free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.