Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top favorites ever
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
JonnyBlaze
I was thinking about this and really wanna know who you all really like..Top 15..
Mine is in no order except for the first 3..Old school fighters are my fav.
1)Sugar Ray Robinson
2)Evander Holyfield
3)Archie Moore

4)Lennox Lewis
5)Gene Tunney
6)Diego Corrales
7)James Toney
8)Larry Holmes
9)Tommy Hearns
10)Willie Pep
11)Mike McCallum
12)Roy Jones Jr.
13)Micky Ward(In my opinion he had one of the top 5 best liver shots,he was soo accurate with it)
14)Muhammad Ali
15)Either of the Klitchkos
Others that could of been on here are JM Marquez,MA Barrera,Pac-man,and B-Hop are some names off the top of my head..
STEVENSKI
Some of my favourites are & this is difficult as it is who is pleasing to my eye & this is a incomplete list with random fighters who crop up

Fenech
Duran
Hearns
Robinson
Dempsey
Tszyu
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Oct 7 2008, 12:46 AM) [snapback]406320[/snapback]
Some of my favourites are & this is difficult as it is who is pleasing to my eye & this is a incomplete list with random fighters who crop up

Fenech
Duran
Hearns
Robinson
Dempsey
Tszyu

Tszyu is one of my favorites I forgot to mention too..I hope you'll make a top 15 list..I was wanting to see your list the most..hahaha..We finally get to see a list of guys you don't have hate for!!This is great and probably therapeutic for you..hahahaha.. thumbsup_anim.gif
King Eugene
Roy Jones Jr.
B Hop
Sugar Ray Leonard
Mike Tyson
Tommy Hearns
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Muhammad Ali
James Toney
Winky Wright
Joe Louis
Lennox Lewis
Oscar De La Hoya
Evander Holyfield
Zab Judah
Sugar Shane Mosley

I love boxing but I like more (not all) of the top tier fighters of the 80's and 90's than I do of the newer and older boxers. Plus these are most of the boxers I grew up watching live on TV and not on youtube or ESPN Classics. But that takes nothing away from the older and newer fighters by no means.
BigG
Bernard Hopkins
Mike Tyson
Erik Morales
Fernando Montiel
Zab Judah
Roy Jones Jr. (Hated some of his fans...bu love the fighter)
Miguel Cotto
Juan Manuel Marquez
Terry Norris
Pernell Whitaker
Larrt Holmes
Joe Frazier
Joe Louis
James Toney
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
ROLL DEEP
Recently?

Erm...a few random names;

Lennox LEWIS
Roy JONES JNR
Floyd MAYWEATHER
Evander HOLYFIELD
Mike TYSON
Naseem HAMED
Nigel BENN
Shane MOSELEY
James TONEY
Marco Antonio BARREA
Boxingjunkie
In no particular order

Mike Tyson
Evander Holyfield
Lennox Lewis
Azumah Nelson
Pernell Whitaker
Julio Cesar Chavez
Angel Manfredy
Diego Corrales
Shane Mosley
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Ricardo Lopez
Roy Jones
Ray Leonard
Ray Robinson
Carmen Basilio
Kevin Kelley
kidbazooka1
Chavez
Duran
Hagler
Sanchez
Gomez
Olivares
Rosario
Zarate
Leonard
Morales
Lopez
Tapia
Thegreatequalizer
in no particular order

marvin hagler
emanuel augustus
glen johnson
ezzard charles
israel vazquez
antonio margarito
aaron pryor
jm marquez
pernell whitaker
mickey ward
joe louis
roberto duran
manny pacquiao
kelly pavlik
ray robinson
JonnyBlaze
Thanks for the lists so far..It's definitely interesting..
Douchebag
James Toney
Mike Tyson
Roberto Duran
Miguel Cotto
Diego Corrales
Julio Cesar Chavez
Joe Frazier
Evander Holyfield
Roy Jones Jr.
Eric Morales
Oscar De La Hoya
Tito Trinidad

hardhead
Terry Norris
Evander Holyfield
Roy Jones Jr.
streetlion1
Hopkins

De La Hoya

Toney

Holyfield

Cotto

Tyson

Lewis

Wright

Mosley

Ali

Not in that order of course.
JonnyBlaze
I'm really surprised at how many of you put Cotto as one of your top 10 or 15 favorites of all time..Quite a few have already..Keep the lists coming..
STEVENSKI
I am amazed at some of the selections. There seems to be a large bias towards fighters fo the last 20 years or so.

Here are some more of mine. Making a list of my top 15 is hard as there will always be a couple I leave out & it is hard to rathe those I have seen little footage of. I will say though I tend to favour excellent boxers who are not afraid to sit down on their punchers & lighter weight guys who will fight until they are mince meat.

Morales
Arguello
Zarate
Olivares
Saddler
King Eugene
I just cant pick a fighter that I've only heard so much about but seen so little on.
JaRaNDa
Mike Tyson
Muhammed Ali
Kostya Tszyu
Roy Jones Jr.
Vernon Forrest
Shane Mosley
Marco Antonio Barerra
Erik Morales
Miguel Cotto
Sugar Ray Robinson
Sugar Ray Leonard
Tommy Hearns
Paul Williams
Rafael Marquez
Juan Manuel Marquez

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Oct 7 2008, 08:55 PM) [snapback]406414[/snapback]
I am amazed at some of the selections. There seems to be a large bias towards fighters fo the last 20 years or so.

Me too..I think this list says a lot about people's look on boxing..Whether they favor boxers or fighters..Also if people tend to favor old schoolers or newer fighters..Theres a huge difference in style and everything..Yet you see the old school in todays fighters too,but its kinda rare..James Toney is a prime example of old school of today..

I definitely think these lists say more about each person than just who they like..I think all my sociology classes are starting to really make me think differently..hahaha..The things people over look as nothing major,sociologists look into detail..
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Oct 8 2008, 12:43 AM) [snapback]406447[/snapback]
..James Toney is a prime example of old school of today..

Don't remember too many old school fighters being 4 weight divsions above what they should be and having trouble talking because they get out of breath laugh.gif

Nah, Toney does have some old school skills.
Maxy
No order apart from Whitaker as no.1...

Pernell Whitaker
Evander Holyfield
Roy Jones
Marvin Hagler
Chris Eubank
Harold Knight
Rocky Lockeridge
James Toney
Michael Nunn
Ray Leonard
Thomas Hearns
Ray Robinson
Joe Louis
Larry Holmes
Erik Morales
Aaron Pryor
Jack Dempsey..

Probably loads more just can't be arsed.
JD
Evander Holyfield
Arturo Gatti
Bernard Hopkins
Tommy Hearns
Erik Morales
Joe Louis
Meldrick Taylor
Pernell Whitaker
Azumah Nelson
Wilfredo Benitez
Jose Luis Castillo
Ricardo Lopez
Kelly Pavlik
Julian Jackson

There are more...
Thegreatequalizer
yeah, i've got to add james toney, winky wright, and salvador sanchez to my list.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Maxy @ Oct 8 2008, 11:00 AM) [snapback]406488[/snapback]
No order apart from Whitaker as no.1...

Pernell Whitaker
Evander Holyfield
Roy Jones
Marvin Hagler
Chris Eubank
Harold Knight
Rocky Lockeridge
James Toney
Michael Nunn
Ray Leonard
Thomas Hearns
Ray Robinson
Joe Louis
Larry Holmes
Erik Morales
Aaron Pryor
Jack Dempsey..

Probably loads more just can't be arsed.

Glad ya had Jack Dempsey on your list,I was just about to post,"anyone for Dempsey"..hahaha..I really like him too..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Oct 8 2008, 10:47 AM) [snapback]406486[/snapback]
Don't remember too many old school fighters being 4 weight divsions above what they should be and having trouble talking because they get out of breath laugh.gif

HAHAHAHA..True..

STEVENSKI
One I cannot understand is how anyone could actually enjoy watching Winky fight.
King Eugene
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Oct 8 2008, 08:38 PM) [snapback]406520[/snapback]
One I cannot understand is how anyone could actually enjoy watching Winky fight.

To be honest, I like that peek-a-boo style. Its like your hitting at a wall and then when you dont see it coming he unloads that jab and a few more punches that leads to a nice combo. He's real technical, has great defense, and is usually coming straight at you and its still hard for you to get a straight shot off on him. He wears you down and SOMETIMES finishes you off. I dont know man, its just entertaining to me. I'm not always looking to see a knock out but if it comes thats even better.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Oct 8 2008, 07:38 PM) [snapback]406520[/snapback]

What about Chris Byrd??I really like Byrd..

I like the peek-a-boo style like 3King3..If a guy is good at it,it is a perfect defense..I appreciate a good defense a lot since defense is a lot harder to be good at than offense..Maybe it's just me cause defense is harder to be good at than offense for me..Byrd,Floyd,and Toney are masters of mixing offense in defense..

Also,do you like the newer version of Winky(like against Taylor) or do you mean Winky years ago??
Fitz
I appreciate good defense also. Like when Mayweather just rolled and made a fool of N'Dou for like half a minute. The defense I don't like is the moving back as fast as you can to not get hit, which Mayweather is guilty of at times also.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 8 2008, 11:12 PM) [snapback]406540[/snapback]
I appreciate good defense also. Like when Mayweather just rolled and made a fool of N'Dou for like half a minute. The defense I don't like is the moving back as fast as you can to not get hit, which Mayweather is guilty of at times also.

Well then you must love Emanuel Augustus defense then. LOL
Fitz
Augustus is actually pretty fun to watch.
BigG
My favorite old fighter has got to be Joe Louis. He reminds me so much of Cotto....he never talked shit, never taunted opponents, just straight up business and he came to f you up....he was a cold dude!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 9 2008, 12:48 AM) [snapback]406573[/snapback]
My favorite old fighter has got to be Joe Louis. He reminds me so much of Cotto....he never talked shit, never taunted opponents, just straight up business and he came to f you up....he was a cold dude!

Those are the best kinda fighters..No need to talk shit,strictly business!!

3King3,I am also a huge fan of Emanuel Augustus..No one will ever be able to pull off the shit he's done..If ya try,you're going to the hospital..The guy looks like he is irish dancing sometimes in the ring and while he is doing that punches are flying past his head..Then the "drunken" dance/style where he is swaying side to side is insane too,ya'd think he'd get caught and if he did,I don't know if he'd be able to stay up since his balance would be kinda off set..
iron_mike
Tyson
Tszyu
Dempsey
Robinson
Manny
Toney
JCC
Pryor
Norris
Arguello
Duran
Louis
Hearns
pre-Calzaghe Lacy

that's it off the top of my head
STEVENSKI
Good to see Manassa Jack getting some love. He was a pretty good boxer/slugger as opposed to being a all out brawler.
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Oct 9 2008, 02:20 AM) [snapback]406577[/snapback]
Those are the best kinda fighters..No need to talk shit,strictly business!!

3King3,I am also a huge fan of Emanuel Augustus..No one will ever be able to pull off the shit he's done..If ya try,you're going to the hospital..The guy looks like he is irish dancing sometimes in the ring and while he is doing that punches are flying past his head..Then the "drunken" dance/style where he is swaying side to side is insane too,ya'd think he'd get caught and if he did,I don't know if he'd be able to stay up since his balance would be kinda off set..

Almost like watching a sped up version of the Matrix. LOL
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 9 2008, 07:34 PM) [snapback]406638[/snapback]
Almost like watching a sped up version of the Matrix. LOL

Hell naw!!!hahahaha..Thats a good one man..Def. like that..hahaha..Emanuel "Neo" Augustus..hahaha..
RealPuya
Wilfredo Gomez
Sugar Robison
Marvin Hagler
Felix Trinidad
Roy Jones
Tommy Hearns
Julio Cesar Chavez
Miguel Cotto
Manny Pacquiao
Eric Morales
Joe Louis
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(RealPuya @ Oct 18 2008, 02:16 PM) [snapback]407518[/snapback]
Wilfredo Gomez
Sugar Robison
Marvin Hagler
Felix Trinidad
Roy Jones
Tommy Hearns
Julio Cesar Chavez
Miguel Cotto
Manny Pacquiao
Eric Morales
Joe Louis

Gomez was one of the baddest boxers I've ever seen his brtual KO power coupled with his awesome boxing skill made him one of my all time fav aswell.
BigG
Wilfredo Gomez, Salvador Sanchez, and Carlos Zarate were bad motherfuckers! I would've love to see any of them fight Erik Morales....just a Gomez-Morales fight...just how punishing would that be.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 19 2008, 03:01 AM) [snapback]407648[/snapback]
Wilfredo Gomez, Salvador Sanchez, and Carlos Zarate were bad motherfuckers! I would've love to see any of them fight Erik Morales....just a Gomez-Morales fight...just how punishing would that be.

Those would of all been amazing fights..
Method
Im about....

Robinson
Clay
Hopkins
Hagler
Louis
Bill The Butcher
Top favorite all time...

Hopkins
Ali
D-MARV
The 3 greatest fighters of all time:
Bernard Hopkins
Roy Jones Jr
Muhammad Ali
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Oct 19 2008, 06:45 PM) [snapback]407729[/snapback]
Bernard Hopkins
Roy Jones Jr
Muhammad Ali

You're gonna have to replace one of them with Sugar Ray Robinson..
D-MARV
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Oct 19 2008, 08:47 PM) [snapback]407746[/snapback]
You're gonna have to replace one of them with Sugar Ray Robinson..

It would probably be RJJ, but I grew up in Roy Jones Era! So to me I take him over Sugar Ray! I have seen a lot of film one Sugar Ray but it's different not being in that era!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Oct 19 2008, 08:01 PM) [snapback]407748[/snapback]
It would probably be RJJ, but I grew up in Roy Jones Era! So to me I take him over Sugar Ray! I have seen a lot of film one Sugar Ray but it's different not being in that era!

Ok,well thats cool then..I thought you were stating that those 3 ARE the best ever..Of course no one can really say who the top 3 really are and be correct but ya know what I mean..

Ray Robinson had 200 fights against great names..He won 173 fights and only lost by KO once in 200 fights..That impresses me more than 56 wins and being KO'd 2 times..Ya can't compare people based on records for the most part though unless one guy is undefeated..I just don't want to get into the details and also its your opinion soo I don't want to try to convince ya otherwise..If ya like RJ more than SRR thats cool but SRR is the greatest fighter to me..I also know what ya mean about not being in SRR's era..I really wish I was alive then since it was one of my favorite era's ever but ya gotta pump up the guys of your era while you're around..hahaha..I will say though I am a bigger fan of the classic black and white stuff..15 rounders are AMAZING!!I really like the guys of today though too since ya all know I am possibly the biggest Holyfield fan..Holy has done 15 rounds before and is the last guy fighting today who has done it..I have problems deciding who I like more between Holy and SRR but when ya force a answer outta me,I would say SRR now..A couple years ago I would of said Holy..It keeps switching..

The Ring Dictator
An odd selection indeed, but I've never cared about race, nationality, religion or whatever. So... for various reasons these are some of my favorites. What most of them have in common is that they don't wait around for things to happen, they act rather than react. Add to that pretty good punching power. smile.gif

Joe Louis
Ray Robinson
Eder Jofre
László Papp
Salvador Sánchez
Roberto Duran
Teófilo Stevenson
Kostya Tszyu
Early De La Hoya

I could definitely name a few more...
GMAN73
Favorites by decades:

1920's-Gene Tunney
1930's-Billy Conn(at 160/175)
1940's-Ezzard Charles(at 160/175)
1950's-Rocky Graziano/Carmen Basilio
1960's-Floyd Patterson
1970's-Matthew Saad Muhammad
1980's-Aaron Pryor
1990's-Gerald McClellan/Michael Moorer(at 175)
2000's-Bernard Hopkins/Arturo Gatti/Diego Corrales/Shane Mosley

Current list: Pavlik, Calzaghe, Vitali Klitschko, Juan Manuel Marquez and Juan Diaz
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Oct 19 2008, 07:45 PM) [snapback]407729[/snapback]
Bernard Hopkins
Roy Jones Jr
Muhammad Ali

I swear I couldn't agree with you more. Except I put Jones over BHop.
And Blaze please quit bringing up SRR in every post. LOL he'll if we had a greatest HW post I think you'd find some type of way to tie him in there with Holyfield. LOL you still my dude though! drinks.gif
JonnyBlaze
First off,I thinkyou guys are crazy to say Roy is the best ever..Once he lost some of his reflexes and speed,he changed drastically..Roy is still fast but not as fast as he was..Roy relied more on his abilities(speed,reflexes) than anything which is why I can't agree with you guys..Don't get me wrong though,I really like Roy a lot and he is definitely a hall of famer..I would put Ali ahead of both Roy and B-Hop without even thinking about it..Roy and B-Hop never fought ANYONE of the caliber Ali fought..You all know the names soo no reason for me to list em..Someone said Echols was a A level fighter well I'd consider him B to B+..Not sure who posted it but someone said it..SRR and Holy have been main topics lately and I gotta represent em..hahaha..You know they are my favs..If I knew a way to tie those 2 together,I would but I think its close to impossible..Well,the only way to tie them together was they never minded being smaller than their opponents and would whoop their bigger opponents too without a problem most of the time..

I won't tie him(SRR) into heavyweight,I'll let someone else do that for me.. haha.gif

Here ya go..May sure to check it out to see who I'm gonna let speak for me..

Sugar Ray Robinson----the ILLEST!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.