Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FightHype Preview and Poll: Dawson vs. Tarver
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
Who do you like in this intriguing matchup? Vote in the poll!

Jack

Administrator
Al Hata

I'd really like to see Dawson win. I always cheer for the fighter who is "good for boxing". I think Dawson is a fresh face and could be a good one....then again, he took a lot of shots vs. Johnson. I wouldn't be surprised if he earned some serious mileage after that fight.

Dawson UD Tarver in a boring fight.

D-MARV
Give me Tarver by Late Stoppage in a close & competitve fight.

I feel that Dawson will do some good things in this fight but I expect his chin to fail him down the stretch! Watch for a Tarver Left cross to do him in!
Imperius3
Dawson might hit the deck in this one...but I think he will do just enough to outwork Tarver in a close fight.

Dawson by a close decision!
The CEO
I voted Tarver by Decision...but I can also see him stopping Dawson.

His experience as a southpaw should help him against the young southpaw....
Big Slim Sweet
Tarver by KO. Fighthype hate only makes him that much stronger.

Me, I've kinda come around to hating Bad Chad a little myself. Dumbass always mumbling with his headphones on.

Knock his ass out Magic Man.
Mean Mister Mustard
I predict Dawson by UD. I think that if he gets buzzed in this one his speed and youth advantages should get him out of trouble.
Jack 1000
I predict Dawson by UD. Most believe that he should have lost to Johnson. I think that Tarver lived and died with the shocking second round KO of Jones in the rematch. He is still skilled and can present problems to any fighter, but now it appears that he has been reduced to a sparring partner with a big mouth. When he backed up his words with his actions by beating Jones the second time, "Got any excuses tonight Roy? " during the prefight and than did exactly what he said by beating Jones, it made me a believer in Tarver. But, I don't hold that belief as strong now. Too many fighters today talk but don't back up their actions in the ring. Sure he beat Woods, but Woods is just an OK fighter.

Dawson can do a war of words as well, but I still am not sold on how good he is. I really would have preferred a rematch with Johnson over the Tarver fight. It's almost 50/50. Each can present problems for the other. Execution will be critical. Dawson by decision in a tactical fight.

Jack
JonnyBlaze
Tarver by decision is my guess but it's very possible Tarver might put Dawson to sleep..Dawson has the youth and Tarver has the knowledge..
King Eugene
Initially I was rooting for a Tarver win but wishing he got KO'd at the sametime. But I hope Chad Dawson just flat out whoop his ass. I'm so tired of Tarver always trying to make him self seem like some super fighter by always bringing up Jones name. In every single one of his interviews one of his base reasons why he think he is going to win and why he thinks he is the best lightheavy weight is cause he beat Roy Jones Jr. And he keeps whining about Roy not deserving his shot at Joe Calzaghe. Ok yea Tarver has done more as of late as far as winning but he hasn't really beat anybody.

I was starting to respect Tarver but the more he keeps running his mouth the more I'm hoping Dawson wax that ass!

Dawson by UD
As much as I hate him but you aint knocking Tarver out.
woooooo
Tarver struggles mightily against southpaws. Eric Harding, Reggie Johnson.. Dawson will be no exception

Dawson by wide decision
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 7 2008, 08:19 PM) [snapback]406393[/snapback]
Initially I was rooting for a Tarver win but wishing he got KO'd at the sametime. But I hope Chad Dawson just flat out whoop his ass. I'm so tired of Tarver always trying to make him self seem like some super fighter by always bringing up Jones name. In every single one of his interviews one of his base reasons why he think he is going to win and why he thinks he is the best lightheavy weight is cause he beat Roy Jones Jr. And he keeps whining about Roy not deserving his shot at Joe Calzaghe. Ok yea Tarver has done more as of late as far as winning but he hasn't really beat anybody.

I was starting to respect Tarver but the more he keeps running his mouth the more I'm hoping Dawson wax that ass!

Dawson by UD
As much as I hate him but you aint knocking Tarver out.

Neither has Jones but Calzaghe obviously doesn't care. If he beats Jones and retires he will not belong in with the Robinsons, Ali, Armstrong and Peps. NO way.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 7 2008, 09:40 PM) [snapback]406412[/snapback]
Neither has Jones but Calzaghe obviously doesn't care. If he beats Jones and retires he will not belong in with the Robinsons, Ali, Armstrong and Peps. NO way.

I never said Jones did either. Do I believe as a Boxing fan Jones deserves the Calzaghe fight....NO. But who the hell am I to them? Do I believe as a Jones fan he deserves the fight...well hell yea. What I'm saying is Tarver beat Jones....twice, but ok that was years ago. But what has he done lately to get Calzaghe for himself besides hold two belts that he is scared to defend against a descent opponent? AND NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND SHOULD CONSIDER WOODS A DESCENT OPPONENT. If anybody deserves the shot its either Dawson or Glen Johnson as far as boxing concerned.

The mans only claim to fame was beating Roy. Roy is passed his prime and that fight was years ago. Why keep bringing the mans name up like he just recently dethrowned the King and defended his title like 5 times against game opponents? Jones vs. Calzaghe is a celeberity match and literally Prizefight. Everybody knows the winner of them two isn't really the King of the Lightheavy weights and they aren't trying to make it seem that way. The only one making a big deal about it like that is sorry ass Tarver by whining and complaining cause he beat a couple of past their prime lightheavy weights and a few bums recently. Tarver sucks ass and thats why nobody respects him, gives him credits, or want to even fight him. He is a waste of time and a Mayweather wannabe (meaning he trys to boost his name up by loud mouthing and claiming to be this all time great thats not getting the respect he deserves) with no wear near the natural skill.

TARVER WILL LOSE
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 7 2008, 08:56 PM) [snapback]406415[/snapback]
I never said Jones did either. Do I believe as a Boxing fan Jones deserves the Calzaghe fight....NO. But who the hell am I to them? Do I believe as a Jones fan he deserves the fight...well hell yea. What I'm saying is Tarver beat Jones....twice, but ok that was years ago. But what has he done lately to get Calzaghe for himself besides hold two belts that he is scared to defend against a descent opponent? AND NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND SHOULD CONSIDER WOODS A DESCENT OPPONENT. If anybody deserves the shot its either Dawson or Glen Johnson as far as boxing concerned.

The mans only claim to fame was beating Roy. Roy is passed his prime and that fight was years ago. Why keep bringing the mans name up like he just recently dethrowned the King and defended his title like 5 times against game opponents? Jones vs. Calzaghe is a celeberity match and literally Prizefight. Everybody knows the winner of them two isn't really the King of the Lightheavy weights and they aren't trying to make it seem that way. The only one making a big deal about it like that is sorry ass Tarver by whining and complaining cause he beat a couple of past their prime lightheavy weights and a few bums recently. Tarver sucks ass and thats why nobody respects him, gives him credits, or want to even fight him. He is a waste of time and a Mayweather wannabe (meaning he trys to boost his name up by loud mouthing and claiming to be this all time great thats not getting the respect he deserves) with no wear near the natural skill.

TARVER WILL LOSE

Tarver does have skill and doesn't get the respect he deserves..Tarver has beaten more people than just Roy..He beat Johnson,Harding,and quite a few other good guys at light heavyweight..
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Oct 8 2008, 12:43 AM) [snapback]406438[/snapback]
Tarver does have skill and doesn't get the respect he deserves..Tarver has beaten more people than just Roy..He beat Johnson,Harding,and quite a few other good guys at light heavyweight..

LOL oh lord. Tarver didnt deserve the victory in the second Johnson fight and Harding isn't as good some Tarver fans would make him out to be. Besides his one punch wonder against Roy Jones what else big has he done in his career? What history has he made, what has he done that would even consider monumental, why should he be mentioned in the top 50 of all times? NOTHING AT ALL. Beating Roy was all he ever done and will be the only thing he was remembered for. In 20-30 years when people are talking about boxers of the past Antonio Tarver's name will rarely be mentioned and when it is it will be one of those "who is that...oh he was the first guy to be Roy Jones Jr., what did he do before or after that?" NOTHING!

Tarver isn't underrated he is perfectly rated! Suck Ass. Hell look at the Favorite fighters thread you started...how many times do you see Antonio Tarver's name on there? Now thats an indication of how good people really think he is.

TARVER WILL LOSE
Fitz
I would say Tarver gets the respect he deserves and sometimes more. If Johnson never caught Jones at the right time, I bet nobody would be listing Johnson in the list of 'good' wins for Tarver.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 8 2008, 01:27 AM) [snapback]406456[/snapback]
If Johnson never caught Jones at the right time, I bet nobody would be listing Johnson in the list of 'good' wins for Tarver.

I think they would..The Tarver/Johnson fights were amazing..Those were 2 of the best fights at light heavyweight in awhile..Tarver threw a lot of punches in the second fight and boxed Glen perfectly..The last few rounds would go to Glen though since Tarver started getting tired from all the hard work he had put in up to that point..Tarver worked hard as hell for that decision..If him and Johnson and another fight on the level of the first 2,I think they would be oneof the best trilogies at light heavyweight ever..Tarver definitely showed he isn't one-dimensional in the second fight with Johnson like everyone thinks he is..
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 8 2008, 02:27 AM) [snapback]406456[/snapback]
If Johnson never caught Jones at the right time, I bet nobody would be listing Johnson in the list of 'good' wins for Tarver.

Thats the only reason he is considered a "good" win.
Fitz
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 8 2008, 06:16 PM) [snapback]406462[/snapback]
Thats the only reason he is considered a "good" win.

Exactly. Well funny how Johnson was considered a 'tune up' for Jones. I thought tune ups were supposed to be sucky. He definitely became a good win to have on your resume after beating a shot Jones. Wasn't supposed to be good before the Jones fight, lol.
That's just the way fans are. Lacy was good before Calazghe and sucked after. That's people. I don't even like Jones, but him being shit house after his move from heavy definitely increased mediocre fighters status from average to good.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 8 2008, 03:36 AM) [snapback]406465[/snapback]
Exactly. Well funny how Johnson was considered a 'tune up' for Jones. I thought tune ups were supposed to be sucky. He definitely became a good win to have on your resume after beating a shot Jones. Wasn't supposed to be good before the Jones fight, lol.
That's just the way fans are. Lacy was good before Calazghe and sucked after. That's people. I don't even like Jones, but him being shit house after his move from heavy definitely increased mediocre fighters status from average to good.

It kills me how fighters think they have done something after being a shot fighter. I'll admit it, I'm a huge Roy fan but I myself will admit that he is shot. Tarver thought he was tough shit til BHop got to that ass! He must have thought he was shot to cause of his dethrowning at the hands of Taylor. Well we seen the results of that. haha.gif haha.gif haha.gif haha.gif haha.gif haha.gif
Fitz
I must give Tarver some credit though. To not be able to win one single round against this Hopkins is a very, very, very difficult thing to do. Most fighters can usually bank a round if they just throw a couple of punches in one round.
BigG
Johnsons a damn good fighter. He was a "tune up" because people thought Jones was still superman after the Tarver loss.

Don't forget he KOd Thomas Ulrich, beat the shit out of Eric Harding, and beat up Clinton Woods. He was a world champion before the Jones win.

And him being that competitive with Chad Dawson speaks for itself when highly touted former Champs like Adamek got battered.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 8 2008, 03:55 AM) [snapback]406471[/snapback]
Johnsons a damn good fighter. He was a "tune up" because people thought Jones was still superman after the Tarver loss.

Don't forget he KOd Thomas Ulrich, beat the shit out of Eric Harding, and beat up Clinton Woods. He was a world champion before the Jones win.

And him being that competitive with Chad Dawson speaks for itself when highly touted former Champs like Adamek got battered.

Yup!!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 7 2008, 09:56 PM) [snapback]406415[/snapback]

TARVER WILL LOSE

That makes no sense. Say what you want about Woods but at least he was a contender unlike The Prince, Hanshaw and Trinidad. I don't think Jones deserves the Calzaghe fight but this isn't his fault, the blame rests on Calzaghe for choosing to fight a 39 year old as his potential last fight.
Big Slim Sweet
Tarver's a good fighter who's had a good career with several meaningful wins. The endless debate that goes on about it here is stupid. If you don't see it this way you're a hater. Which is your right.
Method
The mans only claim to fame was beating Roy.

...And "Bad" (gimme a break) Chad's only claim to fame is he almost got KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT, and just got by, with a close (some would say gift) decision versus Glenn Johnson.

Im not a fan of either of these guys.

Tarver ain't half as good in the ring as he talks, and in chad, we have another overhyped, underproven guy with a glass chin.

My favorite Tarver line of this promotion? "We were going to get Whitney Houston to sing the National Anthem but we were afraid if she hit a high not Chad's chin might shatter and he might not make it out of the dressing room".

I laid money on Tarver. Skill-wise, at Tarver's age, its a pick'em. As far as stoppag,e Tarver's the only one I can see winning by KO. Basically, this fight is a coin flip (50/50, with perhaps a slight edge to Tarver because of the power factor/Dawson chin), and picking the Tarver side of this coin flip pays 2-1. Gotta love the value of those odds on a 50/50 probability.
Thegreatequalizer
i think this fight is likely to be a really boring draw. it'll be their version of holyfield-ruiz 3.
Fitz
QUOTE(Method @ Oct 9 2008, 05:20 AM) [snapback]406499[/snapback]
Tarver ain't half of good in the ring as he talks, and in chad, we have another overhyped, underproven guy with a glass chin.

That's pretty much it. Like I have said, I don't think Tarver is absolute garbage, but just isn't in the good class where I would actually put good fighters. To me he just doesn't belong there. He is B- class IMO. Dawson I don't know much about.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 8 2008, 04:51 AM) [snapback]406470[/snapback]
I must give Tarver some credit though. To not be able to win one single round against this Hopkins is a very, very, very difficult thing to do. Most fighters can usually bank a round if they just throw a couple of punches in one round.

That's true, shit if you land anything in the first few rounds while Old Man River is still napping, you can get a few rounds.
hardhead
I see that we're leaning towards a slight favorite for Dawson(10-7), but some other boards I go to think Dawson will handle Tarver with ease. I think those people are underestimating Tarver. I like Tarver in this fight and I like him by KO, thats a bold prediction to some but Tarver seems to thrive in the underdog role, when nobody is picking him and counting him out, this is that type of situation IMO. On the other hand you have a young fighter in Dawson who has all of the natural talent but has a very questionable chin and has been visibly hurt on multiple occasions in some of his most recent fights. I scored the Johnson fight a draw but felt that if anybody deserved it it was Johnson. I like Dawson but I haven't been too impressed with him as of late and think his flaws are going to be capitalized on by Tarver. Add the fact that Tarver has that big left hand and can crack I think the old dog still has some fight left and clips the young lion late in a competitive fight that probably see's Dawson ahead on the cards.
Method
I got money on Tarver, and frankly Im not really a fan. But that's how unimpressed I am w all the hype that has been Dawson.

Its a pick em fight IMO, and I favor Tarver in as much as he's the only one I can see winning by either stoppage or decision, whereas the only shot Dawson has is a decision, IMO.

If this was a younger Tarver, I'd favor him even more. Dawson just doesn't impress me all that much. He's WAY too chinny to ever be able to do anything that impressive. He'll get his wins here and there, but he'll be done soon.

I know I said it already, but when you are wagering on a virtual coin flip, and the Milk Dud side of the coin pays 2-1, you are a fool for not jumping on that. Whther ou win or lose, there is value in those odds.
King Eugene
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 8 2008, 04:55 AM) [snapback]406471[/snapback]

QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 8 2008, 12:39 PM) [snapback]406492[/snapback]
Say what you want about Woods but at least he was a contender unlike The Prince, Hanshaw and Trinidad.

Ah yep Jones TKO'd Harding and Woods both but Johnson managed to get a UD against Harding and a SD against Woods. These guys aren't considered Top Contenders IMO. And correct me if I'm wrong (and I might be) but aren't you some of the guys who claims Jones never really fought anybody in his career?

QUOTE(Big Slim @ Oct 8 2008, 02:11 PM) [snapback]406498[/snapback]
Tarver's a good fighter who's had a good career with several meaningful wins.

Name a few please besides Jones and BHop.

QUOTE(Method @ Oct 8 2008, 02:20 PM) [snapback]406499[/snapback]
My favorite Tarver line of this promotion? "We were going to get Whitney Houston to sing the National Anthem but we were afraid if she hit a high not Chad's chin might shatter and he might not make it out of the dressing room".

LOL yea that was funny.

King Eugene
To be honest, I hate Tarver but I still think he will win. BUT OH LORD I HOPE HE GET KO'D. Like you said he thrives with that underdog role but he still isn't what he hypes himself up to be. B Class

As far as Dawson is concerned. He is yet to be proven. I dont think his chin is as glassy as many claim it is. I mean hell it aint like Glen Johnson throws cotton balls at you. I give him credit for not hitting the canvas(I've seen him dropped before though but bounced right back up/flash knockdown) in that fight. He showed me something just by being able to hold on until he was back to his senses.
hardhead
QUOTE(Method @ Oct 9 2008, 12:20 AM) [snapback]406515[/snapback]
I got money on Tarver, and frankly Im not really a fan. But that's how unimpressed I am w all the hype that has been Dawson.

Its a pick em fight IMO, and I favor Tarver in as much as he's the only one I can see winning by either stoppage or decision, whereas the only shot Dawson has is a decision, IMO.

If this was a younger Tarver, I'd favor him even more. Dawson just doesn't impress me all that much. He's WAY too chinny to ever be able to do anything that impressive. He'll get his wins here and there, but he'll be done soon.

I know I said it already, but when you are wagering on a virtual coin flip, and the Milk Dud side of the coin pays 2-1, you are a fool for not jumping on that. Whther ou win or lose, there is value in those odds.

I agree. Not a big fan of Tarver but I just can't get over Dawson and his chin issues. Don't get me wrong he showed lots of heart and determination standing up to the relentless Johnson for 10 rounds, that part of his game is no questioned by me but you can have all the heart in the world but if you aint got a chin you aint got shit. If he wins it impressively I'll be happy for him as I always like young talented fighters to do well but something about this fight spells trouble for Bad Chad in this fight. Plus could all that shit talking that Tarver's been doing be getting in Dawson's head, who himself is usually very reserved and quiet.

Peter/Klitchko fuck I just want somebody to get brutally knocked out, I don't care who just that somebody hit the canvas for a 10 count.
Method
I mean hell it aint like Glen Johnson throws cotton balls at you

I hear you, but it also ain't like Glenn has racked up many KO's. I shouldn't really say that because I haven't gone back to check it before writing, but Im speaking from memory. I mean, Glenn stopped roy....thats about all I can remember.

Had Glenn had any stamina left (not sure if its a function of age), he'd not have gassed and would have finished Chad. Glen looks hot and cold to me. I understand why people feel for him and root for him, but I think some of that apathy clouds the reality of his ability. Glenn is limited.

In saying that, I thought Glenn deserved the W vs Dawson, and I think Tarver has a solid chance of beating him.

...and if he doesn't, no big deal...its Tarver.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Method @ Oct 8 2008, 08:49 PM) [snapback]406524[/snapback]
I hear you, but it also ain't like Glenn has racked up many KO's. I shouldn't really say that because I haven't gone back to check it before writing, but Im speaking from memory. I mean, Glenn stopped roy....thats about all I can remember.

47-12 with 32KO's Sounds like a lot to me. And him stopping Roy is all anybody remembers. Hell Montel Griffin gave Johnson a hard time.

Had Glenn had any stamina left (not sure if its a function of age), he'd not have gassed and would have finished Chad.

But he didnt so thats irrelevant.

I think Tarver has a solid chance of beating him.
...and if he doesn't, no big deal...its Tarver.

My point exactly...he is basically a nobody with a belt.
And you reiterated my point earlier about Tarver and Johnson, their only claim to fame was beating Roy and nobody else.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 8 2008, 08:21 PM) [snapback]406516[/snapback]
Ah yep Jones TKO'd Harding and Woods both but Johnson managed to get a UD against Harding and a SD against Woods. These guys aren't considered Top Contenders IMO. And correct me if I'm wrong (and I might be) but aren't you some of the guys who claims Jones never really fought anybody in his career?
Name a few please besides Jones and BHop.
LOL yea that was funny.

I will correct you with pleasure, I am not one of those people. Second of all you mention Jones beating Woods and Harding, that was back in 2000 and 2002, furthermore he didn't stop Harding, that fight ended because Harding injured his shoulder, Jones didn't have anything to do wit that. And thirdly, why metnion Johnson at all? My argument was that Tarver is more deserving of a shot at Zaghe than Jones is.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 8 2008, 11:04 PM) [snapback]406536[/snapback]
I will correct you with pleasure, I am not one of those people. Second of all you mention Jones beating Woods and Harding, that was back in 2000 and 2002, furthermore he didn't stop Harding, that fight ended because Harding injured his shoulder, Jones didn't have anything to do wit that. And thirdly, why metnion Johnson at all? My argument was that Tarver is more deserving of a shot at Zaghe than Jones is.

What does it matter what year it was. They where both beaten by Jones and Harding would have lost regardless of the shoulder injury. And these where both the younger versions of these fighters.

Didnt mean "you" exactly, I mean "you" as in guys posting on the forum boards who claimed he fought lower level competition.

Harding: I'll give you that one but when it goes to the record books, all they label is who got the win and who got the lost and not the injury.

And Johnson wan in reference to someone else who brung him up stating that he was a good fighter and fought good opponents.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 8 2008, 11:30 PM) [snapback]406541[/snapback]
What does it matter what year it was. They where both beaten by Jones and Harding would have lost regardless of the shoulder injury. And these where both the younger versions of these fighters.

Didnt mean "you" exactly, I mean "you" as in guys posting on the forum boards who claimed he fought lower level competition.

Harding: I'll give you that one but when it goes to the record books, all they label is who got the win and who got the lost and not the injury.

And Johnson wan in reference to someone else who brung him up stating that he was a good fighter and fought good opponents.

It matters because you and I were discussing about whether Tarver is more deserving than Jones at a shot at Zaghe. Jones beat Woods 5 years ago but Tarver beat him this year after Woods had gotten a nice wining streak going.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 8 2008, 11:37 PM) [snapback]406543[/snapback]
It matters because you and I were discussing about whether Tarver is more deserving than Jones at a shot at Zaghe. Jones beat Woods 5 years ago but Tarver beat him this year after Woods had gotten a nice wining streak going.

And I clearly said as a BOXING FAN I didnt think Jones deserved the shot at Calzaghe(go look and see for yourself) and I said as a JONES FAN I did think he deserved just cause I want to see Jones in another big fight. Against Jones, Woods had a 13 fight winning streak with 8 KO's which also made him the number one contender compared to his 6 fight win streak before the Tarver fight. Please dont discredit that.

As far as Tarver being more deserving, yes he is but he doesn't bring to the table what Jones does. Call it low risk and high reward if you want but at the end of the day its calle Prize Fighting.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 8 2008, 11:57 PM) [snapback]406546[/snapback]
And I clearly said as a BOXING FAN I didnt think Jones deserved the shot at Calzaghe(go look and see for yourself) and I said as a JONES FAN I did think he deserved just cause I want to see Jones in another big fight. Against Jones, Woods had a 13 fight winning streak with 8 KO's which also made him the number one contender compared to his 6 fight win streak before the Tarver fight. Please dont discredit that.

As far as Tarver being more deserving, yes he is but he doesn't bring to the table what Jones does. Call it low risk and high reward if you want but at the end of the day its calle Prize Fighting.

As a Jones fan how does he deserve a fight with Calzaghe? That statement makes no sense.

Again you repeat that he beat Woods and again I respond that it took place in 2002! What does that have to do witht the present? And what exaclty does Jones bring to the table? A name? The only reason his fight with Trinidad did 500 000 buys was because of Trinidad, so please don't go and say that he brings in a huge crowd.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 9 2008, 12:04 AM) [snapback]406548[/snapback]
As a Jones fan how does he deserve a fight with Calzaghe? That statement makes no sense.

Again you repeat that he beat Woods and again I respond that it took place in 2002! What does that have to do witht the present? And what exaclty does Jones bring to the table? A name? The only reason his fight with Trinidad did 500 000 buys was because of Trinidad, so please don't go and say that he brings in a huge crowd.

Meaning as a Jones Fan my opinion will be BIAS!!! In other words I wont care what anybody else thinks so in other words if you dont like it, IGNORE IT.

I dont understand why you keep bringing up the date. Its as if your saying Woods is better in 2008 than what he was in 2002 and the reason why I say that is cause you bring up the fact that he had a win streak before the Tarver fight and supposedly he didnt before the Jones fight which he did. What I'm saying is, it doesn't matter what point in his career it was, he still lost. You make it seem like "aww it was in 2002, he wasn't that good then". Just like Tarver discredit Dawson's win over Harding cause he was older than when Tarver fought him.

My question is what doesnt it matter what year they fought and are you trying to say that Tarver beat a better version of Woods than what Jones did?
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 9 2008, 12:25 AM) [snapback]406552[/snapback]
Meaning as a Jones Fan my opinion will be BIAS!!! In other words I wont care what anybody else thinks so in other words if you dont like it, IGNORE IT.

I dont understand why you keep bringing up the date. Its as if your saying Woods is better in 2008 than what he was in 2002 and the reason why I say that is cause you bring up the fact that he had a win streak before the Tarver fight and supposedly he didnt before the Jones fight which he did. What I'm saying is, it doesn't matter what point in his career it was, he still lost. You make it seem like "aww it was in 2002, he wasn't that good then". Just like Tarver discredit Dawson's win over Harding cause he was older than when Tarver fought him.

My question is what doesnt it matter what year they fought and are you trying to say that Tarver beat a better version of Woods than what Jones did?

Woods hada winning streak against who before the Jones fight? British fighters, that's it. At least before Tarver he had Gonzalez, Hoye and Johnson on his resume. So here's what you have said so far. I keep reminding you that Jones beat him in 2002 because after I brought up the fact that Tarver whooped Woods you said that Jones did as well, as if that somehow meant that Jones deserves the Zaghe fight for a win that happened 5 years ago.

Honestly your love for Jones is blinding your judgement and it shows in your incoherent arguments so I don't know why I keep discussing this with you specially in a thread about Dawson-Tarver.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 9 2008, 12:37 AM) [snapback]406556[/snapback]
Woods hada winning streak against who before the Jones fight? British fighters, that's it. At least before Tarver he had Gonzalez, Hoye and Johnson on his resume. So here's what you have said so far. I keep reminding you that Jones beat him in 2002 because after I brought up the fact that Tarver whooped Woods you said that Jones did as well, as if that somehow meant that Jones deserves the Zaghe fight for a win that happened 5 years ago.

Honestly your love for Jones is blinding your judgement and it shows in your incoherent arguments so I don't know why I keep discussing this with you specially in a thread about Dawson-Tarver.

Your lack of attention is killing me. I wish you would go back and read the numerous amount of times I keep saying JONES DOESNT deserve the fight over Tarver but I'd rather see him fight Calzaghe over Tarver so therefor with a Bias opinion yea I would say Jones deserve it but respectfully so Tarver should have gotten it. PLEASE GO BACK AND READ.

Gonzalez? LOL what a joke. The only opponent worth mentioning was Johnson and hell he lost a SD to him in the first fight. Ok I'll give you that one. And are you stating that British fighters aren't up to par as far as the elite level of competition?

Yes I'm a Jones fan, no I dont think he is no where as good as he use to be, no I dont think he would beat half of the top light heavyweights out today, and referring back to your other post NO I dont think he was the main reason for doing such big numbers in the Trinidad fight. Yes of course Trinidad had the majority of the fans but still a lot of people watched to see if Jones still had anything left, if Jones would knockout Trinidad, or if Jones really needed to retire. So therefor a great deal of fans did buy it for Jones but MOSTLY FOR TRINIDAD!!!

But like you said its pointless to be talking about the credibility of Woods prior to Jones and Tarver. This is about Tarver set to lose his IBF belt to Dawson.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 9 2008, 12:51 AM) [snapback]406560[/snapback]
Your lack of attention is killing me. I wish you would go back and read the numerous amount of times I keep saying JONES DOESNT deserve the fight over Tarver but I'd rather see him fight Calzaghe over Tarver so therefor with a Bias opinion yea I would say Jones deserve it but respectfully so Tarver should have gotten it. PLEASE GO BACK AND READ.

Gonzalez? LOL what a joke. The only opponent worth mentioning was Johnson and hell he lost a SD to him in the first fight. Ok I'll give you that one. And are you stating that British fighters aren't up to par as far as the elite level of competition?

Yes I'm a Jones fan, no I dont think he is no where as good as he use to be, no I dont think he would beat half of the top light heavyweights out today, and referring back to your other post NO I dont think he was the main reason for doing such big numbers in the Trinidad fight. Yes of course Trinidad had the majority of the fans but still a lot of people watched to see if Jones still had anything left, if Jones would knockout Trinidad, or if Jones really needed to retire. So therefor a great deal of fans did buy it for Jones but MOSTLY FOR TRINIDAD!!!

But like you said its pointless to be talking about the credibility of Woods prior to Jones and Tarver. This is about Tarver set to lose his IBF belt to Dawson.

I can't even believe you are disputing that Gonzalez, Hoye and Johnson are better oppononents than some no name Brits. I like talking boxing with you but remind me never againt to talk to you about Jones related matters.

But anyway whoever wins this Dawson-Tarver fight, don't expect Calzaghe to go after him. He'll probably want to fight Virgil Hill or Fabrice Tiozzo.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 9 2008, 12:54 AM) [snapback]406562[/snapback]
I can't even believe you are disputing that Gonzalez, Hoye and Johnson are better oppononents than some no name Brits. I like talking boxing with you but remind me never againt to talk to you about Jones related matters.

But anyway whoever wins this Dawson-Tarver fight, don't expect Calzaghe to go after him. He'll probably want to fight Virgil Hill or Fabrice Tiozzo.

LOL I'm not as bad as a lot of Jones fans. I just have strong opinions about him thats all.

Nah, expect for Calzaghe to call out B-Hop again cause he wants to prove to the world he can really be good OLD Hopkins even if Pavlick does beat him. Hell Trinidad is always an option especially if your trying to cash in. LOL
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 9 2008, 01:04 AM) [snapback]406565[/snapback]
LOL I'm not as bad as a lot of Jones fans. I just have strong opinions about him thats all.

Nah, expect for Calzaghe to call out B-Hop again cause he wants to prove to the world he can really be good OLD Hopkins even if Pavlick does beat him. Hell Trinidad is always an option especially if your trying to cash in. LOL

Yeah Trinidad is always an option. I actually think that even though Calzaghe beat Hopkins that fight took a lot of his confidence out of him, he never truly had Hopkins where he wanted him. He wants to reitre undefeated so that is why he's taking on Jones because he believes he'll just have to show up to win. And the thing that pisses me off is when I hear people say that Calzaghe is a great adapter. I don't think he's all that versatile. I think he's like a TV set with a broken channel tuner that is stuck to one channel which is to throw a lot of punches and the only thing he can do is turn the volume up or off.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 9 2008, 01:09 AM) [snapback]406566[/snapback]
Yeah Trinidad is always an option. I actually think that even though Calzaghe beat Hopkins that fight took a lot of his confidence out of him, he never truly had Hopkins where he wanted him. He wants to reitre undefeated so that is why he's taking on Jones because he believes he'll just have to show up to win. And the thing that pisses me off is when I hear people say that Calzaghe is a great adapter. I don't think he's all that versatile. I think he's like a TV set with a broken channel tuner that is stuck to one channel which is to throw a lot of punches and the only thing he can do is turn the volume up or off.

LOL Great analogy. He's good but he isn't great. All he is going to do is throw punches.
IMO his whole career he has fought the style called A Puncher's Chance Style (yea I made that up by the way lol). Now let me explain that...IMO he doesn't go into a fight with the smarts of most elite boxers but he is still smart. Most boxers have a game plan weather its to counter all night, be an aggressor and bully, or any other style that most fighters use. He just throws punches knowing that most judges look for work rate and output and not necessarily effectiveness. It doesnt matter where he lands, he just wants to hit you and rack up points or possibly daze you and just keep punching until the ref thinks you cant go anymore. And Compustat punch output is a joke to me. Dont get me wrong, he has 32 KO's or something like that but most are stoppages cause he was just throwing punches in bunches, the other fighter couldn't get off or wasn't given enough time from the ref to weather the storm and then get off, then the ref would think they where hurt, and would stop the fight. Hey, thats his strategy and I will not knock him for it at all but I feel that he gets way too much credit for it. Yea he beat the hell out of Lacy but it was mainly from just wearing him down and at the same time Lacy isn't all that.
I honestly believe that once Calzaghe is seriously hurt its going to be a wrap for him. I do believe he'll beat Pavlick just cause of his Puncher's Chance style but if Pavlick catch him with one of those solid 1,2's..................its a over.
JonnyBlaze
I'm a big Roy fan too,but everyone thinks I hate on him..Calzaghe did have a lot better guys to choose from instead of Jones..Do I think this fight will be interesting??Yeah,it should be now that Jones doesn't have Glen Johnson and Tarver images in his head..He got some wins and he's past that stuff now..I would rather see Tarver/Calzaghe though..

I want to know this though..Ya all know I like Tarver and am one of the few that do,but if he beats Dawson,will you guys give him credit for being a young champ or will ya say Dawson isn't great??My friend Darnell Wilson fought Dawson and he told me Dawson is no joke in the ring..I don't think so either..Dawson got the win over Johnson and even though I think Johnson won I gotta give Dawson credit..It could of gone 2 points either way..Dawson also has a good style too I think and will one day be the man at light heavyweight but right now is Tarvers time..I don't really consider Calzaghe and Hopkins light heavyweights since I'm not sure if they are there for a few fights or if they are staying..Kinda like do ya say DLH is a middleweight when he only had 2 middleweight fights(Sturm and Hopkins)..We'll see though..They both won't be fighting much longer though soo not sure..I guess light heavy is where everyone wants to retire..hahaha..

Also,about Pavlik,he is no one-dimenstional..It sucks I gotta keep saying it..He is a smart fighter..He uses his 1-2 on the outside and everything else on the inside..That's smart!!When ya throw left hooks or uppercuts on the outside,you can countered a lot easier(unless you are throwing lazy 1-2s,which Pavlik doesn't do much but everyone does sometime)..This same thing applies to Tarver,he does the same thing..If ya guys haven't noticed,Tarver has a very effective right hook which can be a orthodox killer!!Especially if you're not used to southpaw angles..
Method
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.