Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tarver vs. Dawson Round by Round/Postfight
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
For all ongoing Dawson-Tarver discussion.

Jack

Administrator
Mean Mister Mustard
You know, I'm rooting for Dawson bu there may come a time when he gets on my nerves.
gods son
rip oscar suarez!

Tarver by UD.

lest go.
salvador
This fight would have meant a lot more to me if Dawson had given Johnson a rematch. That said, I've got $25 on Tarver by ko at +400.

War Tarver!!!!!
dbdbdb
Dawson's up two rounds thumbsup_anim.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
Tarver starting to come on. Dawson though has that 2round foundation.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 11 2008, 10:26 PM) [snapback]406796[/snapback]
Tarver starting to come on. Dawson though has that 2round foundation.

True ....... Tarver gained the third round
salvador
5-2 Dawson
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 11 2008, 10:35 PM) [snapback]406798[/snapback]
How is the actual fight playing out?

Dawson won Rd 1 and 2, Tarver seemd to bag the 3rd. 4-5 back for dawson and in the 6th he stopped punching and allowed Tarver to win it. Dawson seemed to get the 7th back. So faw Dawson's flash winning him the fight although Tatver is blocking most of them but not landing much.
salvador
6-2 Dawson

Tarver's starting to look spent. He's not putting any weight behind his punches and he's letting Dawson throw multiple combinations almost at will.
dbdbdb
The SELF-PROCLAIMED GREAT-ONE has won three rounds and two was given to him thumbsup_anim.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
Tatver getting pounded, Dawosn putting in a days work in there.
dbdbdb
Dawson has toyed with Milk-Dud throughout this fight and MD just can't do anything about it .....

CLEARLY A DAWSON FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!
Mean Mister Mustard
Tarver showed heart in there, those bodypunches took the fight out of him.
PR316
I thought Dawson looked ok. Talent is there. Hand speed, combos, good movement. But given his youth, he did NOWHERE NEAR what Hopkins did with Antonio Tarver.

Dawson is a good fighter but still has some ways to go before he can be called p4p number 1 despite what Floyd Mayweather says.
D-MARV
Dawson Was simply too fast for Tarver!!! Tarver did block alot of Dawson's shots though!

But, without question, this was Dawson's night!
Mean Mister Mustard
I would have liked to see Dawson not wait around so much. By that I mean that he has Jean Pascal syndrome, he's either putting together 6-6-7 punch combos or not doing shit. Mustafa should tell him he's allowed to throw shots at different speeds.

Tarver was made for Dawson and it will be hard for someone to beat him from the outside. Diaconu could beat Dawson based on his pressure style and punch. But Dawson is going to be hard to beat, he's fast, tenacious and is not afraid to bang up the body.
woooooo
Will the Dawson doubters please stand up?

Dude is the truth.
The CEO
I mainly picked Tarver by Decision (and possibly late stoppage) because of the weaknesses I saw in Dawson against Johnson...he had an awkwardness and a lack of conditioning that night...and I'm not taking anything away from Johnson when I say all this...but now it seems the Johnson fight was a bit of an off night for Dawson...

On the other hand....Tarver DID block alot of shots and showed SOME heart and desire...but he really had almost NOTHING on his punches for 90% of this fight....that's why Dawson took a round off midfight by letting Tarver "pound" on him...'cause he knew Tarver wasn't bringing any heat to worry about...

Anyway....GREAT performance by Dawson TONIGHT...he was strong, fast, and accurate...with solid conditioning. He mixed his attacks up almost perfectly....I don't agree with Money May saying Dawson's #1....but I do have to say he certainly gave us a P4P performance tonight....
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 11 2008, 11:17 PM) [snapback]406810[/snapback]
I would have liked to see Dawson not wait around so much. By that I mean that he has Jean Pascal syndrome, he's either putting together 6-6-7 punch combos or not doing shit. Mustafa should tell him he's allowed to throw shots at different speeds.

Tarver was made for Dawson and it will be hard for someone to beat him from the outside. Diaconu could beat Dawson based on his pressure style and punch. But Dawson is going to be hard to beat, he's fast, tenacious and is not afraid to bang up the body.

That was & is very annoying ..... Dawson takes time-outs during each round to calculate his averages and percentages, then out comes a 7-punch combination ..... and then he's back to contemplating.

IF he would just be a consistant puncher he would keep his opponents off-balance. Just keep the jab going or something.

He honestly could have pitched a shut-out if he didn't give away soo many rounds.

Tarver just could not handle the hand-speed, the combinations or the movement .... I would have expected him to have answers to these issues -- with him being soo GREAT. thumbsdown_anim.gif

But he looked like the ONE-PUNCH wonder he's always been ..... nothing new was displayed or exposed. He was a good amateur .... and at best he can and will always be considered a good Pro. ............ But, Nowhere near great, as he would have people believe.
!
Method
I was more unimpressed w Tarver tonight (and I think it might be time for him to call it a day) than I was impressed with Dawson.

Not to take away from Chad doing what he had to do, but, Tarver looked flat as shit, and those arm punches all night? Not gonna get it done.

Dawson's chin is suspect. the night vs. Glenn was NOT an OFF night. His chin is soft, it has been illustrated before. Tarver just couldn't tap it tonight.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Method @ Oct 11 2008, 11:55 PM) [snapback]406819[/snapback]
I was more unimpressed w Tarver tonight (and I think it might be time for him to call it a day) than I was impressed with Dawson.

Not to take away from Chad doing what he had to do, but, Tarver looked flat as shit, and those arm punches all night? Not gonna get it done.

Dawson's chin is suspect. the night vs. Glenn was NOT an OFF night. His chin is soft, it has been illustrated before. Tarver just couldn't tap it tonight.

I think Dawson made him look like shit just like Hopkins did.
King Eugene
Let me start this off by saying.......TARVER IS JUST A ONE HIT WONDER.......sorry ass!

I was impressed by Dawson's defense. He made Tarver miss alot and blocked a lot of shots and Tarver did as well. Dawson was clearly the most effective in the fight. And when he dropped Tarver in the 12th I bout went crazy. I cant stand Tarver's ol ugly black ass! I was suprised by Dawson's handspeed, it was way too much for Tarver. I still dont think he has a "glass" chin though. I mean hell like I've said before Johnson doesn't throw cotton balls and he does have 32 ko's. I dont think he has the best chin either but he can take a descent shot. Tarver was clearly outclassed and I find it funny how Dawson gave him a whole round and Tarver still didnt look impressive. Dawson could have thrown more but I think it was smart of him to only throw when he could be effective instead of just swinging to appear busy and aggressive. He picked his shots well. He knew when and when not to engage and or exchange and is combos where beautiful.

I think he is far from the number one P4P but he is on his way there. Its funny how Tarver just refused to say Dawson was the better man that night. I was so glad he got his ass whooped after talking all that shit. I didnt get the KO but I got a decision. Better than a loss.
The Original MrFactor
I thought this fight was alot closer than the cards had it. With all of his posing and posturing, Chad gave away chunks of the fight. I thought while Chad was posing and retreating, Tarver was landing unheralded body shots. They werent hard, but they were scoring shots. Then after about a minute or two of this, Chad would throw a 6 or 7 punch combo, landing maybe 1 punch. I think when tarver goes back and watches this, he's gonna say he should have won the fight. I had it 115-113 for Dawson. I think Dawson clearly gave away about 3 rounds and Tarver won 2 on his own...

Chad needs to be consistently active, not just throw a flashy combo or 2 per round, landing on a guys arms.
woooooo
QUOTE(Method @ Oct 11 2008, 10:55 PM) [snapback]406819[/snapback]

How is his chin suspect? If anything, the previous knockdowns were issues of defense and balance.

The knockdown against Eric Harding was a flash knockdown caused by a balance issue from the right jab of Harding.

He got creamed with a right hand by Adamek who by the way made O'Neill Bell a cruiserweight known for his ability to take punishment, quit on his stool. He still got up from it and finished the fight fine.

He got clipped against Johnson by numerous right hands and was wobbled but still finished the fight.

If it was suspect, he would've gone down by one of those glancing bitch ass octopus left hands Tarver throws. Sure, Dawson might not have the greatest chin in the world, but calling it glass or suspect is a stretch by any means.

By the way Method, your boy Hopkins is gonna get his ass beat next week. This fight was a premonition of things to come next weekend.
King Eugene
My question is whats next for Dawson?

Winner of the Jones-Calzaghe fight?
Get the WBC belt back?
Fight a mandatory?

What do you guys think? Like he said he is in it for the money so I would think challenging a faded but credible named LHW for a big payday is what he would go for next.
woooooo
A rematch with Glen Johnson wouldn't be a bad idea if all the big names aren't receptive to a fight.

I doubt that'd be on the agenda of Dawson's camp, but from a fan's perspective it would be good.

In reality, he'll probably rack up a couple defense of the IBF belt, get a couple paydays until the right or big fight comes along.

I can't really see any other light heavys being of interest... Zsolt Erdei doubtful..

I actually think a bout with Tarvoris Cloud could be really really interesting down the road once Tarvoris keeps racking up the wins. It'd be a great test for Dawson, especially to see how his chin would hold up against a legit 175 puncher. Plus, Cloud is his mandatory challenger so maybe we'll see that fight sooner than later.
BigG
Dawson was just too much of everything for Tarver who looked just a bit old...I'd like to see him fight the winner of Jones-Calzgahe or Hopkins-Pavlik. As for Tarver, it might be time to retire....
alaganza
Dawson really did the boxing world a favor in my opinion. I thought Tarver did block a lot of shots with his gloves but a lot of shots got through. black eye.gif

The handspeed was just too much for tarver. Tarver and his so called mastery of the art of boxing was almost shut out tonight.
King Eugene
LOL yea Tarver was almost clearly shut out.

A rematch with Tarver would be good too but like you said I highly doubt he'd be going that path.

As far as cloud, if he doesn't get his stamina up he wont last with Bad Chad but he packs one hell of a punch.
Method
QUOTE(woooooo @ Oct 12 2008, 12:48 AM) [snapback]406824[/snapback]
How is his chin suspect? If anything, the previous knockdowns were issues of defense and balance.

The knockdown against Eric Harding was a flash knockdown caused by a balance issue from the right jab of Harding.

He got creamed with a right hand by Adamek who by the way made O'Neill Bell a cruiserweight known for his ability to take punishment, quit on his stool. He still got up from it and finished the fight fine.

He got clipped against Johnson by numerous right hands and was wobbled but still finished the fight.

If it was suspect, he would've gone down by one of those glancing bitch ass octopus left hands Tarver throws. Sure, Dawson might not have the greatest chin in the world, but calling it glass or suspect is a stretch by any means.

By the way Method, your boy Hopkins is gonna get his ass beat next week. This fight was a premonition of things to come next weekend.

Wow. YOu have excuses for all of em, huh?

My man, Tarver landed shit on this guy tonight. He had shit on his punches. They were all arm wings. All arm punches. And Whether Hopkins wins or loses next week has NOTHING on this fight tonight. But if you want to throw a legitimate wager on "Hopkins gets his ASS BEAT", I'll be more than happy to oblige you. I would assume by "ass BEAT" you mean he gets KTFO or something along those lines, and not some bullshit split or close UD?
woooooo
Round 6, clean hard left lands, Dawson doesnt flinch. Tarver landed clean punches, maybe not with the most full leverage, but someone with a glass or suspect chin would've been wobbled at the least.

Personally, I don't see anyway Hopkins gets knocked out, but that doesn't mean he won't get his old ass beat. If not getting knocked out is some sort of holy grail or consolation for ole snaggletooth, then so be it. I don't see it being close either.

This fight had something to do with the fight next weekend, because the older defensive fighter will get beat by the upstart, younger, faster, stronger lion.
TarverFan
Tarver's lost a ton of snap on his punches throughout the past few years. hell he couldn't even seriously hurt Elvir Muriqui who has a paper tissue chin. Dawson is the future of the division if some of the other so called champions will fight him. As for Tarver he should retire, he's through. He showed toughness and grit but his power and snap is gone and has been for quite some time.
BigG
I got to give Tarver an A for effort though weather you like him or not he came to fight. This was alot better than that SHITTY heavyweight fight. Weather you like him or not he's had a good career, 3 time Light-Heavyweight champion with 2 wins over Roy Jones. Not a bad a career for someone who many people think is overrated.
D-MARV
Call me what you want but at this point it's hard to say that anyone can beat Dawson!!!! I doubted him going into this fight simply becuase I thought Tarver had a puncher's chance!

Dawson beats Calzaghe, Jones, Pavlik, Hopkins, Adrian Diaconu, and Johnson. This kid is at the top of his class!
BrutalBodyShots
This fight to me looked a lot the way I think Jones-Tarver would have looked had they fought in 2001-2002 or so. Dawson had the hand speed, footwork and stamina that had faded from Jones by the time he faced Tarver.

Blayde
QUOTE(woooooo @ Oct 12 2008, 07:18 AM) [snapback]406831[/snapback]
I actually think a bout with Tarvoris Cloud could be really really interesting down the road once Tarvoris keeps racking up the wins. It'd be a great test for Dawson, especially to see how his chin would hold up against a legit 175 puncher. Plus, Cloud is his mandatory challenger so maybe we'll see that fight sooner than later.

Man I had totally forgotten about Cloud and his mandatory status. Unfortunately hes got almost no exposure so far although he is an exciting power punching undefeated American fighter!? Because of that I think there will probably be another more lucrative option for Dawson who would vacate his title once again then although I dont know what it could be right now.

But if these two fought, that would definitely one hell of a fight. And although I believe Dawson is the overall better fighter I would have no idea who to pick. With Diaconu and Cloud there are two really interesting and spectacular upcoming pressure fighters in the division right now. And Dawson just always looks great, even if je lands 0 of 10 with his combinations.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Oct 12 2008, 07:51 AM) [snapback]406846[/snapback]
Call me what you want but at this point it's hard to say that anyone can beat Dawson!!!! I doubted him going into this fight simply becuase I thought Tarver had a puncher's chance!

Dawson beats Calzaghe, Jones, Pavlik, Hopkins, Adrian Diaconu, and Johnson. This kid is at the top of his class!

Don't go too crazy now. If anyone can drop and keep Bad Chad down it is his mandatory Diaconu.
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Oct 12 2008, 07:51 AM) [snapback]406846[/snapback]

I would take Calzaghe over Dawson...and I would not count out Pavlik or Diacounu. Johnson is just older now, though he arguably beat him a few months ago.
BigG
You'd really take Calzgahe over Dawson JD? I think Dawson might just be the worst style matchup for Calzaghe..EVER...Dawson is taller, faster, stronger, YOUNGER, better footwork, better puncher with a good outside style, good stamina and Calzghe doesn't have the power or speed to really trouble him. I think Dawson is the anti-Calzaghe.

Besides well know Calzgahe would never ever fight Chad Dawson.

But guys with Heavier punches (Pavlik, Hopkins, Johnson) would have a chance. I just don't think Calzgahe has any way to beat Dawson. He'd really just get picked apart all night by the taller, faster, more elusive guy.
Thegreatequalizer
i think calzaghe is actually a bad style match-up for dawson. dawson fights in spurts, like everyone is saying, because he needs to be set to punch. that's why he has a hard time with pressure fighters. they're constantly coming in and he doesn't have as many opportunities to get set. keeping people from getting set to punch is how calzaghe wins most of his fights. his movement keeps people off balance. that's not good for dawson. but i will say that dawson has youth on his side and does have talent. so at this point it's hard to say, but i think that calzaghe has the style advantage.
D-MARV
Dawson beats the sh*t out of Calzaghe! I wouldn't be surprised to see Dawson stop Joe C! Either way though. Calzaghe would never fight Dawson!
neophyte7
Calzaghe is a slapping bum who had his best win against a one dimensional Jeff Lacy------ Roy Jones is going to own him

I was impressed with Dawson's speed but please, many of his punches were blocked- Tarver was outspeeded and should move up to cruiser if he continues... the strain of making 175 has taken all of the starch out if his punches, but he had moments in he fight but just seemed physically weak-

You know, I give credit where credit is due , but there is trend in boxing scoring where guys are getting too much credit for these 8 punch flurries when only 1 or 2 punches land cleanly- At times Dawson was winging away and Tarver was on the defensive, yet many of the punches did not land- Tarver was unscathed against Dawson- Hopkins roughed him up and his face showed that he was whipped. Hopkins landed many more clean punches on Tarver than what I saw last night.... 115-113 Dawson
PR316
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Oct 12 2008, 06:18 PM) [snapback]406880[/snapback]
Dawson beats the sh*t out of Calzaghe! I wouldn't be surprised to see Dawson stop Joe C! Either way though. Calzaghe would never fight Dawson!

NO WAY!!!... lol...

If Dawson couldn't stop an old, SHOT Tarver, NO WAY he stops Calzaghe...

But I do agree that Dawson could beat him. I would slightly favor Joe, but if anybody is a threat to Joe now, its Dawson and not Pavlik IMO.
D-MARV
QUOTE(PR316 @ Oct 12 2008, 04:30 PM) [snapback]406899[/snapback]
NO WAY!!!... lol...
If Dawson couldn't stop an old, SHOT Tarver, NO WAY he stops Calzaghe...
But I do agree that Dawson could beat him. I would slightly favor Joe, but if anybody is a threat to Joe now, its Dawson and not Pavlik IMO.

No one has ever come close to stopping Tarver. Ive seen Calzaghe shaken a few times!
Method
I don't know that I'd take Calzaghe over Dawson. I think Dawson would be too big, strong and fast for Joe Cal. Plus, Dawson don't have to worry about his chin, cuz Calzaghe couldn't break glass with a sledge hammer.

...and don't be so sure Dawson couldnt stop Calzaghe. The fact that Tarver finished on his feet means nothing in a Dawson/Calzaghe fight. Tarver, for all his flaws, is a tough SOB, has never been stopped, and can take a shot.
JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 12 2008, 12:10 PM) [snapback]406866[/snapback]
You'd really take Calzgahe over Dawson JD? I think Dawson might just be the worst style matchup for Calzaghe..EVER...Dawson is taller, faster, stronger, YOUNGER, better footwork, better puncher with a good outside style, good stamina and Calzghe doesn't have the power or speed to really trouble him. I think Dawson is the anti-Calzaghe.

Besides well know Calzgahe would never ever fight Chad Dawson.

But guys with Heavier punches (Pavlik, Hopkins, Johnson) would have a chance. I just don't think Calzgahe has any way to beat Dawson. He'd really just get picked apart all night by the taller, faster, more elusive guy.

You are correct, Calzaghe will not go near Dawson.

I would take Joe Cal over Dawson...I honestly think Dawson would lose a decision. Calzaghe would smother him on the inside, and be the one using angles in there. Good fight...far from a lock and I won't argue with someone taking Bad Chad, but I lean toward Joe Cal in this one.
Mean Mister Mustard
Dawson and Zaghe would be a good fight. Dawson would be the underdog but if he digs into Zaghe's midesction like he usually does I wouldn't expect Zaghe to have much steam in the late rounds.

Speaking of body shots, I hope Jones works Zaghe's body all night long. He might not win the fight but it is the best shot he has. Plus even if he loses at least he'd make Zaghe piss blood.
JonnyBlaze
First I give madddd props to Dawson..He fought an amazing fight..Tarver is old now in my opinion..Ya all know I'm a Tarver fan and always will be but I think he maybe should hang the gloves up..His work rate is getting on a B-Hop level..Every fighter has his own set age within his body that he can't do it anymore..Even though Tarver doesn't have many pro fights it doesn't mean anything..He was a huge amateur fighter plus he is 39..Dawson fought a perfect fight..He was throwing some really amazing combos..
BigG
I dont think you can beat Roy Jones, Montell Griffin, Eric Harding, Reggie Johnson, Clinton Woods and not be considered at least good...Not saying he's at a P4P level .... but he would have beaten that Dariusz guy at least.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.