Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Retirement Fights
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
King Eugene
Over the past few years old fighters and fighters coming out of retirement still fighting hasn't always been good for the sport nor has it been all bad either. I've come up with a suggestion and I want to know what you guys think. You know how some street racers race for pink slips. I think over the hill, past their prime boxers that keep on fighting should be contracted as to if their performance is horrible and they lose badly they should be forced to retire. I mean in order to back that, there would have to be a whole slew of legal issues to be worked out and one being pention plans. But I look at fighter like BHop, Roy, Holyfield, Tarver, Mayorga, and a few others that just dont have it like they use to but still keep on trying to get fights. And most fights would not be very competitive at all but they mainly get it just because of their name and draw power. Dont get me wrong anything can happen, just look at Foreman but its rare it does happen.

For an example of what I mean by retirement fights is this, what if they put in the contract for Pavlick vs. Bernard that if he lost he would have to retire due to decrease in performance and his age, but if he won he could fight again. Like after a certain age, say 40 every fight would be contracted as a retirement fight. But like I said before it should be based on past performance and the level of decline in that fighter.

I just think it would prevent stuff like Holyfield(not bashing Holyfield, just using him as an example) trying to fight at 46 and not being very competitive unless its against a B level fighter. Cause I garuntee you Tarver will probably get another big fight against a young guy and I dont know too many people here want to see that especially after his last performance.
STEVENSKI
Never would work. The only way to stop guys like Roy & Holy from fighting is not to egg their ego's on by buying their PPV's etc. If they get no support then they get no fights. It is up to us as fans to do something about this.
King Eugene
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Oct 16 2008, 11:09 PM) [snapback]407406[/snapback]
Never would work. The only way to stop guys like Roy & Holy from fighting is not to egg their ego's on by buying their PPV's etc. If they get no support then they get no fights. It is up to us as fans to do something about this.

Yea I understand that but if State Athletic Comissions would actually say "HELL NO" then they couldn't get any sanctionings. Me personally you know I'd like to see Roy fight one more but thats it. But some fighters just need to be forced to stop. And we all know if Holy fights again it wont be on pay per view so you cant prevent that.

It would be even better if the fighters made a bet of it. If one or the other lose they would have to retire pernanently.
STEVENSKI
They woudl just go somewhere they could get licensed. Ali did it when he fought Berbick & if they start going to 3rd world countries without adequate medical facilities then they could suffer fatal injuries if injured.

Boycott their fights & refuse to watch then fight.
King Eugene
But with that comes lack of TV coverage so slowly but surely they'll have to call it quits.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 16 2008, 09:56 PM) [snapback]407405[/snapback]
Over the past few years old fighters and fighters coming out of retirement still fighting hasn't always been good for the sport nor has it been all bad either. I've come up with a suggestion and I want to know what you guys think. You know how some street racers race for pink slips. I think over the hill, past their prime boxers that keep on fighting should be contracted as to if their performance is horrible and they lose badly they should be forced to retire. I mean in order to back that, there would have to be a whole slew of legal issues to be worked out and one being pention plans. But I look at fighter like BHop, Roy, Holyfield, Tarver, Mayorga, and a few others that just dont have it like they use to but still keep on trying to get fights. And most fights would not be very competitive at all but they mainly get it just because of their name and draw power. Dont get me wrong anything can happen, just look at Foreman but its rare it does happen.

For an example of what I mean by retirement fights is this, what if they put in the contract for Pavlick vs. Bernard that if he lost he would have to retire due to decrease in performance and his age, but if he won he could fight again. Like after a certain age, say 40 every fight would be contracted as a retirement fight. But like I said before it should be based on past performance and the level of decline in that fighter.

I just think it would prevent stuff like Holyfield(not bashing Holyfield, just using him as an example) trying to fight at 46 and not being very competitive unless its against a B level fighter. Cause I garuntee you Tarver will probably get another big fight against a young guy and I dont know too many people here want to see that especially after his last performance.

I think they would destroy history being made if they did some shit like this..Prime example is George Foreman..He got his ass whipped by Holyfield but than went on with things and won the heavyweight belt from M. Moore at 45..He also lost to Tommy Morrison right before he won the belt..I think it should be purely up to the fighters..Decrease in performace may be a sign of getting older IN THE RING but it doesn't mean they are finished..What if Holyfield won the belt at 46 and made new history by doing that??Would it be right to of said he should of retired instead of doing what he dreamed to do??I think that your certain age of 40 comment would be real bad for the sport..All fighters age differently in the ring..40 maybe a good average but some go sooner and some don't go down hill till after 40..I know what your sayin though and it could save some fighters from major damage to their body but I think they should get to decide to fight if they want,but not just if they need too,like bankrupt fighters who need the money.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.