Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: b-hop vs. dawson
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Thegreatequalizer
i'm not sure if hopkins has any interest in this fight, but after last night it's gotta be one of the most intriguing in boxing. money claims that dawson is the p4p best in the world right now. of course, money saying it and dawson proving that are two different things completely. but if b-hop can beat a p4p contender in his weight class at the age of 43-44 i think it would take his legend to a new level.
PR316
If B-Hop can't secure a fight with the winner of Calzaghe/Jones, then I think this fight does become a possibility for mid 2009.

Slightly lean towards Hopkins because of what I saw Glen Johnson do to Dawson but it would be much more competitive than Hop's fight with Pavlik.
neophyte7
Tarver blocked many of Dawson's shots, but the cheerleading would not have many see that... Tarver however coud not counter... Hopkins can and will
D-MARV
I think Dawson is all wrong for B Hop at this stage!!!!
BUT I will never go against Bhop again!

BHop should Retire! The man has done more than enough to secure his legacy!
Douchebag
Dawson's footwork would make Hop work alot more then he would like to, but I can't contridict myself. Hop by late TKO.
neophyte7
Dawson has speed, but Like I said, he benefits from a trend in boxing where guys are rewarded with these 8 punch flurries where 1 o2 punches land cleanly... this was evident against Tarver--- much of Dawson's speed would be nuetralized--- Adamek is not a speedster and caught him and put him on his ass-- HOp at 43 is still fast and quick and I see no reason why he cannot find Dawson and do the same... Dawson's performance against Tarver has been blown out of proportion. He landed very few clean shots--- 115-113 for Dawson. There is no money in this fight so therefore it ain't happening... I would rather see Jones Hopkins II--
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Oct 19 2008, 03:44 PM) [snapback]407704[/snapback]
Tarver blocked many of Dawson's shots, but the cheerleading would not have many see that... Tarver however coud not counter... Hopkins can and will

Dawson has speed, but Like I said, he benefits from a trend in boxing where guys are rewarded with these 8 punch flurries where 1 o2 punches land cleanly.

Adamek is not a speedster and caught him and put him on his ass-- HOp at 43 is still fast and quick and I see no reason why he cannot find Dawson and do the same.

I tend to agree with you here. Dawson's flash got everyone a little blinded. Steve Albert was a worse cheerleader calling that fight against Tarver than Jim Lampley has ever been.

Hopkins would have some trouble with Dawson's hand speed early on no doubt, but it's not like Dawson sets a torrid pace the way Joe Cal does. He basically takes half of every round off, and BHop would capitalize on that and knock him out.

This is the fight I'd most like to see Hopkins take next. Snatching yet another fighter's 0 would do more for his legacy at this point than beating Roy or Joe would, and I actually think it's the easiest fight of the three for him.
D-MARV
I think B. Hopkings is banking on Roy Jones Jr. to defeat Calzaghe. If he doesn't get Roy I think he's going to retire
Blayde
Would be a good fight.

And I really like Dawson, but Id pick Hopkins. Dawson without a doubt not only has much faster hands than Pavlik, hes also got much quicker legs, so hed be able to get in range to throw his combinations and he would be able to get off and be active to impress the judges. So B-Hop would have a hard time in there. BUT Dawson is hittable although his defense was pretty solid against Tarver and I think B-Hop would be able to land enough clean shots, maybe also stun him several times like Johnson did. It would definitely be competitive though.

I somehow dont really want to see the new young guy Dawson lose a guy whose coming close to the end of his career. But the fight wont happen anyway.
streetlion1
I really dont see anyone in the division that can beat B-Hop if he fights the way he did against Pavlik. Dawsons fast hands would be the thing to overcome but Hopkins would counter and make him look foolish. I think it is highly unlikely that this fight happens.

Calzaghe probably wont fight him either. I see Bernard possibly stopping Slappy if they fight again.

I think Hopkins-Jones Jr. 2 happens whether RJJ wins or loses. Its the only fight Bernard probably feels he really needs before he hangs it up. He wins a blowout decision or possibly stops Jones late.
The Original MrFactor
Hopkins problems seem to lie with guys who are faster than him. Jones, Cal and taylor were all much faster than him. Hopkins being a defensive guy has to be a bit more wary when it comes to guys with speed. Chad Dawson would be more of the same. HOWEVER, someone brought up Dawson's fight with Glenn Johnson. Chad can be worn down toward the end of fights.

Dawson/Hopkins would look alot like Taylor/Hopkins accept that Dawson may actually see canvas(and get up). If Dawson sees canvas, that would be all she wrote. If Hopkins had knocked Taylor down, he may very well have come away with the decisions in those fights.I think taylor is a tougher kid than Dawson. he's not as technically sound, but he's got a bit more nasty in him. taylor is more of a fighter. Dawson is more of an athlete...
King Eugene
BHop and Dawson would be hard to pick at this moment. But I'd go with Hopkins by decision cause if he dont perform like he did against Pavlik he'll make it ugly for sure.

If Hopkins fought Calzaghe again I think he stops him. If he stick to his word about going for the knockout for now on out he'll get it. But Calzaghe has stated there will be no rematch.

BHop vs. Roy, I'll never go against Roy. Give me Roy by decision.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 22 2008, 10:11 PM) [snapback]408080[/snapback]
BHop and Dawson would be hard to pick at this moment. But I'd go with Hopkins by decision cause if he dont perform like he did against Pavlik he'll make it ugly for sure.

If Hopkins fought Calzaghe again I think he stops him. If he stick to his word about going for the knockout for now on out he'll get it. But Calzaghe has stated there will be no rematch.

That is a bitch move by Calzaghe..I wish guys would just give the rematch to guys who gave them tough fights..B-Hop deserves the rematch..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 22 2008, 10:11 PM) [snapback]408080[/snapback]

What about Roy vs. Dawson??
BrutalBodyShots
I dunno I disagree with a lot of you guys about Hopkins beating Dawson.

I agree with Original Factor above... look at the guys that have wins over Hopkins. Jones, Calzaghe, Taylor. All were faster than Hopkins and all have (or at the time had) good legs/foot speed. Dawson is more of the same... lots of speed that would beat Hopkins to the punch a lot.

Referencing Johnson's good showing against Dawson is pretty meaningless... I mean who's expecting Hopkins to fight a Johnson-style fight (and throw that many punches) against Dawson? Hopkins likes to play the counter game and let guys come to him, and that's not something I see Dawson doing. If Hopkins were able at this stage of the game to get off 60-80 punches per round and bully forward for 12 rounds I think he could beat Dawson, but it would probably end up being a relatively boring fight where Dawson would get off a fast jab at center ring, circling around with Hopkins landing occasional power counters. Not too much going on. I think the rounds would be relatively closely contested (although pretty boring) with Dawson banking more of them due to his speed and flashy combos (even if they aren't landing much).

King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Oct 22 2008, 11:32 PM) [snapback]408091[/snapback]
What about Roy vs. Dawson??

I think that comes down to a chess match and who gets caught with the big shot first.
STEVENSKI
Well Hopkins has only lost to black fighters so Dawson has a chance. before anyone says anythig about Joe C being white he is Welsh & a Taff is like a black man in Alabama 100 years ago.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Oct 22 2008, 11:40 PM) [snapback]408111[/snapback]
Well Hopkins has only lost to black fighters so Dawson has a chance. before anyone says anythig about Joe C being white he is Welsh & a Taff is like a black man in Alabama 100 years ago.

Any fighter can beat any fighter if he has the skills..Black fighters aren't better than white fighters and white fighters aren't better than black fighters..Everyone is equal in my eyes,just depends on much of the true art of boxing they want to learn..Some want to just fight to fight some want to learn the art like B-Hop did and he became something a lot greater than the guys who are there just to fight..
STEVENSKI
You missed my point of which there was none.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Oct 23 2008, 12:20 AM) [snapback]408117[/snapback]
You missed my point of which there was none.

haha..I figured that!!
King Eugene
BHop has a good chance of winning. I dont see Dawson getting many clean shots just like he didnt against Tarver. I'm so glad he whopped Tarver's ass and I was so glad about that. Anyway I'd still pick Hopkins.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 23 2008, 04:31 AM) [snapback]408128[/snapback]
BHop has a good chance of winning. I dont see Dawson getting many clean shots just like he didnt against Tarver. I'm so glad he whopped Tarver's ass and I was so glad about that. Anyway I'd still pick Hopkins.

Calzaghe and Taylor didn't get in many clean shots against Hopkins either, but they still got decisions over him. Dawson's combination punching and activity should be enough in my view to have the judges give him more rounds than Hopkins, regardless of whether or not he's landing a high percentage of clean shots.

Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Oct 20 2008, 11:38 AM) [snapback]407813[/snapback]
Steve Albert was a worse cheerleader calling that fight against Tarver than Jim Lampley has ever been.

i really noticed that steve albert had it in for tarver during the fight.. and jim gray kind of gave him the cold shoulder and kind of dismissed him. maybe tarver pissed them off at some point and they were happy to see him become marginalized.
King Eugene
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 23 2008, 12:05 PM) [snapback]408145[/snapback]
Calzaghe and Taylor didn't get in many clean shots against Hopkins either, but they still got decisions over him. Dawson's combination punching and activity should be enough in my view to have the judges give him more rounds than Hopkins, regardless of whether or not he's landing a high percentage of clean shots.

As much as I dont like Calzaghe and I'm not a big fan of Taylor either but you have to give them credit. They where landing some pretty good shots on Hopkins. Maybe not very effective as in hurting him but they where landing. I think Dawson's hand speed is better than theirs so he still has a good shot but I'm still sticking with Hopkins.
neophyte7
Could you please elaborate more and even show the very good punches that both Taylor and Calzagher landed??? Hopkins made both of these men miss and in reality in the 12 rounds both of these guys struggled to land in the double digits on the head of Hopkins.. I recall Freddie Roach commenting that he could not recall Hopkins getting hit flush at all that night... So please, tell me and show me without reverting to compubox numbers, the very good shots that Calzaghe and Taylor landed on Hopkins in their respective matches

This brings to mind back when Mayweather faced Castillo in the first fight... a story on Maxboxing .com. stated that the photographers struggled to find shots of Castillo landing cleanly on the head of mayweather over a full 12 rounds... Bottom line is the Taylor and Calzagher were rewarded from a trend in boxing where a guy that throws a volume of punches is getting credit for just that, throwing punches... They landed very few, very good shots against Hopkins from my view...
King Eugene
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Oct 25 2008, 06:36 PM) [snapback]408320[/snapback]
Could you please elaborate more and even show the very good punches that both Taylor and Calzagher landed??? Hopkins made both of these men miss and in reality in the 12 rounds both of these guys struggled to land in the double digits on the head of Hopkins.. I recall Freddie Roach commenting that he could not recall Hopkins getting hit flush at all that night... So please, tell me and show me without reverting to compubox numbers, the very good shots that Calzaghe and Taylor landed on Hopkins in their respective matches

This brings to mind back when Mayweather faced Castillo in the first fight... a story on Maxboxing .com. stated that the photographers struggled to find shots of Castillo landing cleanly on the head of mayweather over a full 12 rounds... Bottom line is the Taylor and Calzagher were rewarded from a trend in boxing where a guy that throws a volume of punches is getting credit for just that, throwing punches... They landed very few, very good shots against Hopkins from my view...

If they didnt block youtube at work I swear I'd show you. But since I cant prove my point...oh well.
King Eugene
Check that, you can go to hbo.com, go to the sports section, then click on videos for boxing and scroll and find Hopkins vs. Taylor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.