Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paul Williams will fight Verno Phillips for the IBF title
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
Easy win for Williams...UD for Paul.
WindyCityP
BG you should know better. Verno is no walk in the parkhe is a tough and awkward SOB.
D-MARV
Im going with BG, pretty clear win for Paul Williams!
BigG
Oh no doubt Windy I've watched Verno for a long time and he surprised me with his title winning effort vs. Spinks but I think Williams will outpoint him from the outside.
Big Slim Sweet
Williams should dominate Verno and possibly stop him late.
D-MARV
I hope people don't still think I'm crazy about PWill having a shot at Pavlik!
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Oct 20 2008, 11:15 AM) [snapback]407817[/snapback]

I never thought that was crazy.
salvador
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Oct 20 2008, 12:15 PM) [snapback]407817[/snapback]

The problem with Williams is that he's easy to hit, whereas Bernard's near impossible to hit. I love Williams, but Pavlik will eventually land something huge.

Has the Williams-Phillips fight been confirmed?

BigG
I think it's been signed for Nov. 29 and Chris Arreola will fight Travis Walker in the undercard.
STEVENSKI
I am just not high on Williams. He is sloppy & lacks defense.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(salvador @ Oct 20 2008, 04:23 PM) [snapback]407863[/snapback]
The problem with Williams is that he's easy to hit, whereas Bernard's near impossible to hit. I love Williams, but Pavlik will eventually land something huge.

Has the Williams-Phillips fight been confirmed?

I think unless it hasn't been broken on boxingtalk by their number one bloodhound B. Artest then you can take it as still unconfirmed.
King Eugene
Give me Williams by UD
RayFanofRealBoxers
Fitz and 3King3 I bet Andrade, Morales, Castillo, Barrera, Finito Lopez, Corrales, Chavez, Margarito, Ruiz bros, Marquez Bros, De Leon, De La Hoya, Cruz Carbajal, Michael Carbajal, Montiel, Arce, Soto, Arreola, Sanchez, Leija, Diaz Bros, Juan Diaz, Tapia, Juarez, Ayala, Raul Marquez, Tony Lopez, Medina, Campas, Luna, Vasquez,

And so many more that i can't think of right now but I'm sure I have tapes of them fighting somewhere, There not sorry to be Mexican. Your telling me "Sorry to hear that" I'm super proud to be Mexican and proud of these guys who always gave it their all and left nothing to desire in the ring. Mexicans always give great action fights and are willing to DIE in the ring.
Last nights fight with Andrade/Bute was a Chavez/Taylor type of fight.
"Hit me all you want but I'm gonna get you in the end"!
D-MARV
QUOTE(RayFanofRealBoxers @ Oct 25 2008, 11:52 AM) [snapback]408295[/snapback]
Fitz and 3King3 I bet Andrade, Morales, Castillo, Barrera, Finito Lopez, Corrales, Chavez, Margarito, Ruiz bros, Marquez Bros, De Leon, De La Hoya, Cruz Carbajal, Michael Carbajal, Montiel, Arce, Soto, Arreola, Sanchez, Leija, Diaz Bros, Juan Diaz, Tapia, Juarez, Ayala, Raul Marquez, Tony Lopez, Medina, Campas, Luna, Vasquez,

And so many more that i can't think of right now but I'm sure I have tapes of them fighting somewhere, There not sorry to be Mexican. Your telling me "Sorry to hear that" I'm super proud to be Mexican and proud of these guys who always gave it their all and left nothing to desire in the ring. Mexicans always give great action fights and are willing to DIE in the ring.

WTF?
What does that have to do with Paul Williams!
King Eugene
QUOTE(RayFanofRealBoxers @ Oct 25 2008, 11:52 AM) [snapback]408295[/snapback]

LMAO...dude STFU. I put that as my sig cause it was funny. It had nothing to do with you being Mexican or Mexican fighters at all. Check my funniest quotes thread in the general discussion. Sorry that you where the butt of the joke.
King Eugene
On another note...still give me P Dub by decision.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Oct 20 2008, 10:19 PM) [snapback]407890[/snapback]
I think unless it hasn't been broken on boxingtalk by their number one bloodhound B. Artest then you can take it as still unconfirmed.

What was that bloodhound B. Artest thing??I was trying to figure that out last week..I ignored it but still wonder,didn't bother figuring it out,just wanted to talk boxing!!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 27 2008, 09:48 PM) [snapback]408511[/snapback]
On another note...still give me P Dub by decision.

By easy decision if ya ask me..Phillips is takin the fight cause he wants one last chance at being the man..I really like Phillips but he should retire now..
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Oct 28 2008, 12:12 PM) [snapback]408569[/snapback]
By easy decision if ya ask me..Phillips is takin the fight cause he wants one last chance at being the man..I really like Phillips but he should retire now..

Taking nothing from Phillips but he will be embaressed.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 28 2008, 11:42 PM) [snapback]408665[/snapback]
Taking nothing from Phillips but he will be embaressed.

I think so too but hope not..Like I said,I really like him but I think this is a bad move for him at this time of his life..I mean,don't get me wrong he has had some good wins in the last few years over guys like Spinks(real close fight)..Yet,he isn't active enough and fights for the most part once or twice a year for the like 3-5 years I think..Williams will look real impressive since he loves being in the ring and knows now is his time to shine and doesn't want to waste any time..
Lil-lightsout
Williams should win a comfortable decision, or possibly stop him. But damn, Verno has been around along time doing a his thing. I remember driving up to the Poconos back in 94 or 95 to see him fight. Hopefully Verno can give him a good test, and maybe show the young PW some of his tricks.
Mean Mister Mustard
Verno deserves a big payday but I doubt this will be it. I also doubt he wins this one. He is tough but so far we need a guy who can move well and I don't think Phillips can move anymore. Remember how he tried boxing Ouma the 2nd time? He had success but his stamina was not up to par. Expect the same thing here.
blackbelt2003
Just found out that Phillips is giving up his IBF belt for this fight.

Sucks. That means yet again Paul Williams is left without a title shot. Will this guy ever get to fight for a world title (of the proper variety)?

Black
Fitz
That sucks. I think Williams should scrap the fight. Unless he doesn't plan on moving back down to welter.
BigG
Williams shouldn't scrap the fight. Better to stay active.
Fitz
I really don't know what the point is if he plans to move back down to 147. He has gone from 147 to 160 and now his next fight at 154. What the hell is the point in all this fucking moving? He is doing a lot and staying active, but he is getting very, very little for his career this way. He really isn't being very efficient at all with his career. He is acting like a journeymen who moves up and down just to chase the money, except he isn't chasing the money and isn't a journeymen.
I like Williams, but I'm not sure where he is going. It's like he is just going around in circles and doesn't have any plans.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 31 2008, 06:32 PM) [snapback]408875[/snapback]
Williams shouldn't scrap the fight. Better to stay active.

Agreed,I think it doesn't matter if its for the belts..Williams is the type of guy who probably doesn't care if it's for the belts and wants to just fight and prove he is the best without having to worry about belts..Belts are only bonuses but can get in the way a lot of the time..Williams needs to stay active more than anythings..Big fights will come his way and he won't be avoided forever..We want the big fights now but no one wants to man up besides Verno..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 31 2008, 06:38 PM) [snapback]408877[/snapback]
I really don't know what the point is if he plans to move back down to 147. He has gone from 147 to 160 and now his next fight at 154. What the hell is the point in all this fucking moving? He is doing a lot and staying active, but he is getting very, very little for his career this way. He really isn't being very efficient at all with his career. He is acting like a journeymen who moves up and down just to chase the money, except he isn't chasing the money and isn't a journeymen.
I like Williams, but I'm not sure where he is going. It's like he is just going around in circles and doesn't have any plans.

I think he is moving up and down to get a fight!!Everyone is actin like pussies when his name gets brought up..Before I said I didnt want him at middleweight just yet but I'm starting to think thats the best thing for him since he might not be avoided as much since guys will be more around his height and everything else..He has potential to be one of the best guys of his era and I've said it all along,he would rule 147 even after he lost to Quintana..I really want Berto/Williams but I guess Berto's guys don't want him in there with Williams..BULLSHIT!!
King Eugene
They are fighting for the interim WBO Jr. Middleweight belt. So they are fighting for a belt, Verno just had to give up his IBF belt cause they said Williams wasn't a ranked opponent. I caught the video on boxingscene.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.