Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BHOP-Pavlik preview of what PBF would do to Margarito
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Col Reb
After watching that fight las tonight, it had me thinking of how much PBF would destroy Margarito. Marg & Pavik fight similar, and BHOP fought a Floyd-type fight last night. I know the size difference would not be proportional, but I think the result would be the same. Arum should learn from this and never put Marg in with a defensive, athletic, world class fighter.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Oct 19 2008, 10:15 PM) [snapback]407766[/snapback]
After watching that fight las tonight, it had me thinking of how much PBF would destroy Margarito. Marg & Pavik fight similar, and BHOP fought a Floyd-type fight last night. I know the size difference would not be proportional, but I think the result would be the same. Arum should learn from this and never put Marg in with a defensive, athletic, world class fighter.

The major difference though was that Nard was able to hurt Pavlik right from the get go.

Although PBF has decent power in the lower weights there is no way he could hurt that iron jawed piece of granite known as Margarito.

So.......that being said I think PBF would box his way fairly easily to a safety first style victory but no way does he stand in the pocket and constantly hurt Marg the way Hops did to Pavlik last night.

However I doubt Floyd will ever sign for the fight so if you're really desperate to see how that mythical match-up plays out then just dig out a copy PBF V. Baldomir (if you're crazy enough to have that in your greatest hits collection) pop it in the machine and you'll be snoozing away within minutes. Or you could play a neat little game called 'who can't count the most celebrities leaving before the final bell.'
STEVENSKI
I don't completely write Margs off against PBF. He is naturally bigger & stronger than PBF. To compare it to last nights fight is insane really.
STEVENSKI
He might indeed but there is a signifigant size difference between Margs & PBF. Margs is also a good straight volume puncher. I don't doubt that he would get tagged a lot against PBF but if he can walk through that & trap PBF on the ropes combined with hard body punching (his shoulder rolls whilst impressive will not counter body shots) it could cause some worry for PBF.
BigG
If Cotto can outbox Margarito and be ahead on some cards after 10, you have to think that a much faster fighter with more stamina like PBF would probably do better and take a 12 round UD. But it would be tough. It's an interesting fight.
EpTXCHAMP
I think PBF-baldomir is a preview if margs and pbf ever fight!!!

like baldy margs is a big welter, slow, and has horrible foot work and struggles with any slick fighter. he has more power than baldomir but at the end of the day PBf would just box his way to a UD
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Oct 19 2008, 11:02 PM) [snapback]407775[/snapback]
I don't completely write Margs off against PBF. He is naturally bigger & stronger than PBF.

So was DLH..
neophyte7
Margarito has lost to lesser fighters... nuff said
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Oct 19 2008, 10:15 PM) [snapback]407766[/snapback]

Good point let's make Mayweather 40-0 and just add another loss to Margarito's record now so we don't have to hear anymore about it.
D-MARV
I have to give Margarito credit!

I still think Mayweather would beat Margarito but not in Blady fashion. I say something like 116-112!
buford54
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Oct 20 2008, 11:42 AM) [snapback]407814[/snapback]
Good point let's make Mayweather 40-0 and just add another loss to Margarito's record now so we don't have to hear anymore about it.

Very true. I 100% agree that Mayweather/Marg would look exactly like Hopkins/Pavlik, but that doesn't mean the fight shouldn't happen.
Following that formula would mean that real boxing could be eliminated in favor of fantasy boxing where we would just hop online, look at a boxer's skill level in the various areas and determine who would win a real fight.
BoxingStill#1
I also agree,....but this fight would be less entertaining..
moscow bear
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Oct 20 2008, 07:01 AM) [snapback]407781[/snapback]
So was DLH..

and so it was a close fight
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Oct 20 2008, 07:01 AM) [snapback]407781[/snapback]
So was DLH..

DLH gasses after 4 rounds so what is your point? DLH would have beaten PBF had he displayed the stamina that Margs has. The reason PBF was able to pot shot DLH & counter him at will was that DLH was exhausted.
eternalfighter
how can anyone say he'll beat him if he wont even fight him?! its easier said than done.
rusty_trombone
I agree, Floyd would make Margarito look like the dickbag that he is.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(moscow bear @ Oct 20 2008, 04:53 PM) [snapback]407860[/snapback]

no it wasn't. anyone with eyes(except the fucktard judges) saw a fairly easy win for Floyd.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Oct 21 2008, 11:40 PM) [snapback]407956[/snapback]
no it wasn't. anyone with eyes(except the fucktard judges) saw a fairly easy win for Floyd.

Anyone with 20/20 vision saw it as being a 8-4 type of fight which was won more on DLH gassing out badly than PBF being the master boxer.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(moscow bear @ Oct 20 2008, 03:53 PM) [snapback]407860[/snapback]

I don't think it was a close fight,it just appeared to be..If ya watched real close,the punches that made everyone go so crazy about didnt land at all,not even glancing shots..DLH was real stupid to stop jabbing,it could of been close if he kept jabbing..I think Floyd put it to him good..
JonnyBlaze
I'd go with 7-3..8-4 isn't a bad recall of it either..
PR316
I lost all interest in this fight after seeing Paul Williams clearly beat Margarito off workrate and hand speed.

Floyd would frustrate this joker all night long with his lateral movement and counter punching.

Mayweather via uneventful UD. Would be as boring as the Baldomir fight.
BigG
Did DLH really gas that bad? I don't remember him being all that gassed out by the end of the fight...It's not like the fight was a high paced war...
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(PR316 @ Oct 22 2008, 02:01 AM) [snapback]407979[/snapback]
I lost all interest in this fight after seeing Paul Williams clearly beat Margarito off workrate and hand speed.
Floyd would frustrate this joker all night long with his lateral movement and counter punching.

See what I bolded? Workrate, PBF has never displayed a unbelievable workrate & Margarito losing a close fight with Williams who many also pick to beat PBF is hardly a disgrace. Styles make fights & Williams is a lot bigger & rangier than PBF every will be. Margarito has the style to beat PBF & more importantly the stamina, power & chin to do so. PBF would be a heavy favourite don't get me wrong but Margs would have the best chance to do it. What did Joe Louis say? "You can run but you can't hide"

QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 22 2008, 02:11 AM) [snapback]407982[/snapback]
Did DLH really gas that bad? I don't remember him being all that gassed out by the end of the fight...It's not like the fight was a high paced war...

I think he did based on his actions in that fight. Either that of he deliberatly lost the fight which he has done before as we all know.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(PR316 @ Oct 21 2008, 10:01 PM) [snapback]407979[/snapback]

I thought it was reach personally... Cotto was outworking margarito and had handspeed advantages too. Margarito just couldnt get inside Williams wingspan to crack his body.
The Original MrFactor
This is kind of a silly thread. 1st of all the sizes dont really matchup. Pav and Hops are alot closer in size than Mayweather/Margarito. Hopkins also carries more power at 175 than Mayweather does at 147. Pavlik's chin isnt comparable to Margarito's. Also fighting Styles are different. Pavlik works mostly the head through jabs and straights. Margarito is primarily a body puncher. Hopkins and Mayweather are both elusive, but Hopkins can stand and fight against a "smaller" guy in Pavlik. Mayweather would never stand and fight with guys at WW.
streetlion1
Yeah this thread is kinda silly because no way you can compare a coward like PBF with B-Hop. Just like you cant really compare a guy with an awesome workrate in Margarito to a guy who is slow and plotting like Pavlik.

A part of me says PBF would beat Margarito easily...IF he can take a few shots while doing it. then a part of me says that if Floyd finds himself trapped against the ropes like Cotto was he could suffer the same fate. The thing about it is PBF is a coward duck-artist! Though he appears to have great skill..he's never shown it against the best in the Welterweight division. Until he does I really cant give him the benefit of the doubt.
Fitz
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Oct 22 2008, 06:13 PM) [snapback]407997[/snapback]
Yeah this thread is kinda silly because no way you can compare a coward like PBF with B-Hop. Just like you cant really compare a guy with an awesome workrate in Margarito to a guy who is slow and plotting like Pavlik.

LOL. You just described Margarito twice.
Big Slim Sweet
The Hopkins-Pavlik matchup is nothing like a Mayweather-Margarito matchup.

The Williams-Margarito matchup is nothing like a Mayweather-Margarito matchup.

Stupid thread, punctuated by lots of stupid posts as always when this topic comes up.
Fitz
I agree. I think Mayweather-Baldomir is a much, much better comparison.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
People forget that Cotto won some early rounds gainst Margarito EASY by just sticking and moving.

In fact if he'd followed his early bluprint he could've picked up a pretty lopsided decision.

In the early goings Tony got dangerously close (at times) to justt following Cotto around the ring, in rounds 3 and 4 (if I remember correctly) he virtually forgot to keep punching.

However you always had the feeling (and I'm sure Marg did as well) that the fight was gonna go his way for two reasons.

Number One, Cotto at some point was gonna sit down and engage with Tony, he just can't help himself. Big mistake to test chins with Tony.

Number Two. Cotto hates pressure fighters, you just knew the first guy to make him fight the full 3 minutes of every round was always gonna break him down.

I'm no great Mayweather fan, but I can appreciate his abilities and these are simply things that wouldn't happen if he were to fight Marg.

Do I want to see it?

Well that would mean PBF coming out of retirement which he wouldn't do for less than a gazillion dollars and frankly I'd rather HBO put 2-3 sizzling match-ups together for the same price it would cost them to have Floyd repeat the 'demonstration' he put on against Baldomir.
Fitz
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Oct 23 2008, 12:24 PM) [snapback]408060[/snapback]
People forget that Cotto won some early rounds gainst Margarito EASY by just sticking and moving.

That's it right there. Mayweather is the king of that, he is fit and in control. He will stick and move for 12 rounds no problem. Mayweather won't feel the need to engage and has the legs to stick and move for 12 rounds. Out of all the supposedly big fights, this is probably the fight I feel most confident about my pick. I really don't think it will be close, to me it's a no brainer. Margarito is tailor made for Mayweather (to pitch a safe shut out).
STEVENSKI
I can't believe that people actually think that Baldozar & Margarito are comparable in any way shape of form.

For a start Margarito has a bigger frame than Baldozar & is a much much bigger puncher. he is also far better at cutting off the ring & punching straight than Baldozar. Different fight & looking at the way PBF coped with a small pressure fighter in Castillo he would be just as uncomfortable with a far larger stronger fighter who will not gas out. I am not saying that Margarito is the calibre of boxer that Castillo is but he is bigger, stronger & is quite good at reducing a fighters breathing space.

King Eugene
I think PBF defeats Margarito easy by countering and pot shotting.

I just wish we could see it so all of these Margarito nutt huggers will shut up. Just like BHop made a lot of Pavlik nutt huggers either shut up or change their thoughts about Pavlik.
Fitz
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Oct 23 2008, 12:59 PM) [snapback]408066[/snapback]
I can't believe that people actually think that Baldozar & Margarito are comparable in any way shape of form.

For a start Margarito has a bigger frame than Baldozar & is a much much bigger puncher. he is also far better at cutting off the ring & punching straight than Baldozar. Different fight & looking at the way PBF coped with a small pressure fighter in Castillo he would be just as uncomfortable with a far larger stronger fighter who will not gas out. I am not saying that Margarito is the calibre of boxer that Castillo is but he is bigger, stronger & is quite good at reducing a fighters breathing space.

Both slow, flat footed plodding fighters with bad head movement and a good chin. I agree that Margarito is more polished, punches harder and does things a little better. But Mayweather will have a field day because of the similar flaws that Baldomir had. I agree that Margarito has many more strengths than Baldomir, but because they have similar flaws I don't think Margarito will have the opportunity to impose his 'strengths'.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 22 2008, 09:00 PM) [snapback]408067[/snapback]
I think PBF defeats Margarito easy by countering and pot shotting.

I just wish we could see it so all of these Margarito nutt huggers will shut up. Just like BHop made a lot of Pavlik nutt huggers either shut up or change their thoughts about Pavlik.

I agree with ya..We need to see Floyd KO Margarito..hahaha..Just kidding..Floyd would put a clinic on him though..I like Pavlik still after losing to B-Hop and my opinion hasn't changed of him..B-Hop is just on another level..Pavlik fought a very stupid fight and got destroyed by B-Hop so I'm told..I'm still waiting for Saturday to see the replay..There was nothing Pavlik could of done to beat B-Hop besides outwork him..Basically that was true for most of his career..Yet,not just outwork him but land some shots too..
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Oct 22 2008, 11:01 PM) [snapback]408079[/snapback]
There was nothing Pavlik could of done to beat B-Hop besides outwork him..Basically that was true for most of his career..Yet,not just outwork him but land some shots too..

Which neither happen...you'll see when it replays.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Oct 22 2008, 10:25 PM) [snapback]408086[/snapback]
Which neither happen...you'll see when it replays.

I can already picture the fight in my head..haha..I see Hopkins just putting a pure boxing lesson on him..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 23 2008, 03:42 AM) [snapback]408093[/snapback]
He fought like he always does and the exact reason from a while back that I said he is overrated. He is one dimensional. He fights every fight the same way.

So did Tito, was he overrated? If it works then it works & sometimes it doesn't.
King Eugene
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Oct 23 2008, 12:18 AM) [snapback]408101[/snapback]
So did Tito, was he overrated? If it works then it works & sometimes it doesn't.

Nope but Bernard made him seen that way.
JD
Outside of one guy being a defensive genius and more skilled then the other guy...Hopkins - Pavlik and Mayweather - Margarito aren't all that similar.
ROLL DEEP
Why did someone compare Hopkins-Pavlik to Mayweather-Marg? laugh.gif
JD
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Oct 23 2008, 08:01 AM) [snapback]408134[/snapback]
Why did someone compare Hopkins-Pavlik to Mayweather-Marg? laugh.gif

LOL...I guess because they thought they were watching it when they saw Hop - Pavlik.
BigG
I might get heat for this..but in terms of skills and speed..Marg is really not much better from Baldomir at all. He's just taller, bigger, stronger (looks like a MW). Margarito to me is just like a Super Baldomir

Theres no doubt in my mind he's getting outboxed vs. Floyd. It really depends on how much Marg is able to touch Floyd and wear him out. It could be a long night for Mayweather but the skill difference is so big I could also see it being a decision for Mayweather in a Baldomir type fight. Hit and run, crowd boos, fans hate Floyd some more.

As much as I love Cotto, he is no Mayweather in terms of defense and speed. And he fades late..

PS. Baldomir is underrated
PR316
^^^While Margarito has become overrated.

All of a sudden he's this destroyer. He was getting outboxed for 6-7 rounds vs Cotto, a guy who is not faster or more skilled than Mayweather and there are still people that think Margarito takes Mayweather out.

UNBELIEVABLE...
Method
Margarito and Pavlik are completely different fighters. Not a good proxy whatsoever.

Additionally, Hopkins and Pavlik matched up a lot better, physically, than Floyd and Margarito will.

Dont matter, cuz Floyd wont fight Toney.
JD
Why is it unbelievable? I think Floyd would have to work extremely hard to avoid and beat Margarito – the fight is no walk in the park.

But that is tangential to this conversation, which is that the Hopkins – Pavlik fight would mirror Mayweather – Margarito. Mayweather will not hold the strength advantage Hopkins did, nor will he be the bigger (Pavlik was taller, not bigger though) man. Further, Mayweather will be unable to get Margarito’s respect as Hopkins did, and he will not be able to mug him on the side the way Ex was able to. Lastly, Margarito doesn’t need to have his feet set to punch the way Pavlik does.

I can totally understand people picking Floyd by decision here, and I am not sure I wouldn’t be one of them – but the fight is not the same as what we just saw Hopkins do to Pavlik.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(PR316 @ Oct 23 2008, 08:37 AM) [snapback]408137[/snapback]
^^^While Margarito has become overrated.
All of a sudden he's this destroyer. He was getting outboxed for 6-7 rounds vs Cotto, a guy who is not faster or more skilled than Mayweather and there are still people that think Margarito takes Mayweather out.
UNBELIEVABLE...

Dude, what's this 'all of a sudden' garbage? People who have supported Margarito's chances against A-list fighters have been doing it for YEARS. We've been saying the same thing for YEARS. There is no nuthugging going on around here. We keep saying he gets the job done, he goes out and fights and gets the job done, and assholes like you scoff at people who have been saying he'd get the job done all along. That's what's really UNBELIEVABLE. I haven't read a single post in this thread where anyone predicts 'Margarito takes Mayweather out'. READ motherfucker. The initial topic of the thread was basically now that we saw what Hopkins did to Pavlik we should all be thankful we never had to see Mayweather do that to Margarito. Fuck that. At least Fitz acknowledges that the fight needs to happen just so that this debate can be put to bed once and for all. It will never end as long as there's no fight, and the only guy you can thank for that is Floyd himself.
caneman
QUOTE(JD @ Oct 23 2008, 11:00 AM) [snapback]408139[/snapback]
Why is it unbelievable? I think Floyd would have to work extremely hard to avoid and beat Margarito – the fight is no walk in the park.

But that is tangential to this conversation, which is that the Hopkins – Pavlik fight would mirror Mayweather – Margarito. Mayweather will not hold the strength advantage Hopkins did, nor will he be the bigger (Pavlik was taller, not bigger though) man. Further, Mayweather will be unable to get Margarito’s respect as Hopkins did, and he will not be able to mug him on the side the way Ex was able to. Lastly, Margarito doesn’t need to have his feet set to punch the way Pavlik does.

I can totally understand people picking Floyd by decision here, and I am not sure I wouldn’t be one of them – but the fight is not the same as what we just saw Hopkins do to Pavlik.

I pretty much agree with this & might add that Cotto has way more power than PBF & Margarito didn't hardly blink! Add to that fact that no matter what any of us think, they still have to fight the fight no matter who we are talking about! Besides doubting the old man, October 18th proves every bit of all the facts above! / thread!
King Eugene
Call it what you want, weather he outboxes him, embarresses him, knocks him out, or decision him. Mayweather will win. I just wish he would do it to shut some retarded sound people fuck.gif up.
King Eugene
QUOTE(caneman @ Oct 23 2008, 09:44 PM) [snapback]408159[/snapback]
I pretty much agree with this & might add that Cotto has way more power than PBF & Margarito didn't hardly blink! Add to that fact that no matter what any of us think, they still have to fight the fight no matter who we are talking about! Besides doubting the old man, October 18th proves every bit of all the facts above! / thread!

Damnit thats one fine as sig. I love that body on her!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.