Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winky Wright returning on December 4th (Thursday)?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thehype
Pretty long interview, but he does bring up some valid points...

DAMIAN RAMIREZ: "WINKY WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME, IF NOT WORSE, TO PAVLIK!"

"Bob ain't want to deal with Golden Boy when it came to Winky, but he was willing to deal with Golden Boy when it came to Bernard. He didn't want to give Winky-Pavlik, but he wanted to give Bernard-Pavlik. Once again, I'm not taking nothing away from Bernard, he's a great fighter, as is Winky. Bernard was coming off of a loss to Calzaghe and everybody thought he was done and he was old and that's the only reason they took Bernard. They looked at it like they were going to beat a legend; he's old and right for the pickings. They know Winky is a technical fighter, just like Bernard. Winky would've done the same, if not worse, to Pavlik and that's the same reason Oscar don't want to fight him and nobody else. They'd rather just not mess with him because it's too difficult," stated Damian Ramirez, close friend and senior advisor for Winky Wright, as he talked about Team Pavlik's unwilling to face Wright. You don't want to miss what else he had to say in this explosive interview as Ramirez reveals why it's been an uphill battle to find an opponent for Wright, who plans on returning to the ring on December 4th, despite being a bigger PPV star than fighters like Manny Pacquiao.

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3661.html
JonnyBlaze
Good news,I'm looking forward to see how he is doin these days in the ring..I wonder which Winky we'll see..Defensive while jabbing or not as defensive and more offensive..I like both versions but he is better when defensive while jabbing..
Mean Mister Mustard
THis guy berates Pavlik and his team for taking Hopkins lightly and then later on he says Winky put on a good show despite being out of shape. So Wright took Hopkins lightly too?
1zz
In the wink of eye WW is old news.

I hope JCV comes outta retirement and KO's him once and for all...
1zz
In the wink of eye WW is old news.

I hope JCV comes outta retirement and KO's him once and for all...
Big Slim Sweet
Winky sounds like such a tool in these interviews the way he always contradicts himself. He kicks things off with, 'I just want to fight the big fights! We need to give the people what they want!' But then when you read further you see what he's really saying is, 'I want the big fights on my terms! These guys need to give Winky what he wants!' He still doesn't get it.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Oct 22 2008, 01:24 PM) [snapback]408028[/snapback]
Winky sounds like such a tool in these interviews the way he always contradicts himself. He kicks things off with, 'I just want to fight the big fights! We need to give the people what they want!' But then when you read further you see what he's really saying is, 'I want the big fights on my terms! These guys need to give Winky what he wants!' He still doesn't get it.

He never got it. Remember when he made Trinidad give him money out of his purse to make him happy? Or when he said he would start knocking out people once he started making big bucks?
STEVENSKI
Who is this guy? I know the name & he seems somewhat familiar but has he ever headlined a card?
King Eugene
Winky will prevail. Just watch!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 22 2008, 12:52 PM) [snapback]408031[/snapback]
He never got it. Remember when he made Trinidad give him money out of his purse to make him happy? Or when he said he would start knocking out people once he started making big bucks?

That was messed up..I do think pro's deserve a lot of money for what they do but they do need to get over themselves at some point..To say you deserve more money than someone else or some shit like that is stupid if ya really think about it..To really argue about it or not fight because of the money is what I really mean..Fighters back in the day would just get in the ring most of the time with no questions asked..Fighters these days are turning into bitches..Shit,if ya are getting over a million for a fight,why complain that you need 20+ million..I know your life is on the line and if I go pro I wouldn't be making a fuss over money..It's not even about the money to me,money is just the bonus..If it's all about the money,ya must not love what ya do and should get outta the sport cause I wanna see guys who want to be in the ring to perform and not just go in to make some quick money like Tyson did in the Williams and McBride fights..Yeah,he needed the money but if he had been smart with the money like most of US would be,he would have money even after he is dead..Shit,I know I would..
BrutalBodyShots
I think Wright's going to look like shit in his next fight assuming he fights a top guy. He's never had a year and a half layoff like he has now, and when in your late 30's that isn't a good thing. ESPECIALLY considering he's coming off of a loss where he took some heavy shots from Hopkins. He also took a good amount of heat in the Taylor fight as well. While Wright has good defense and all, he gets hit more now than he ever has, and with a year and a half layoff I only expect him to take more punishment in his next fight. "Big Fights" are great and all, but he'd be wise to take not necessarily a "tune up" fight but at least a "gimme" definite win fight against an opponent that's not going to land a lot of heavy punches on him. Also, who knows what division he'd decide to fight in, you know?

The Original MrFactor
I'd like to see Winky at 160. There he can compete with Pavlik and Abraham.
King Eugene
I'm just ready for him to fight again!
MarzB
I love the interview and agree with everything Winky said.

The layoff may affect Winky's timing a bet but I doubt he'd look "bad". He maybe should have taken a few "stay busy" fights of sorts but "oh well" he didn't.

I'm pretty sure Abraham (if he gets past Marquez) will duck him and I know Bob Arum would NEVER put Pavlik back in there with a "skilled" technician again.

King Eugene
QUOTE(MarzB @ Oct 23 2008, 09:55 PM) [snapback]408161[/snapback]
I know Bob Arum would NEVER put Pavlik back in there with a "skilled" technician again.

No time soon anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.