Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unreal: (Chavez vs. Vanda II)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Al Hata
Is this fight card really PPV this weekend? Per ESPN...

At Las Vegas (Top Rank PPV): Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Matt Vanda, rematch, 10 rounds, junior middleweights; Nonito Donaire vs. Moruti Mthalane, 12 rounds, for Donaire's IBF flyweight title; Jorge Arce vs. Isidro "Chino" Garcia, 12 rounds, for Arce's WBA interim junior bantamweight title; Lamont Peterson vs. Lanardo Tyner, 10 rounds, junior welterweights; junior middleweights; Matvey Korobov vs. James Freeman, 4 rounds, middleweights; Vanes Martirosyan vs. Charles Howe, 10 round

This has to be a joke. Funny thing is, this probably isn't the worst PPV card in recent history. Can anyone name a worse PPV card?
BigG
I really can't believe their putting a HYPEJOB Chavez Jr. on PPV again. Chavez Jr-Vanda was a great fight but these guys are barely contender level. Nonito and Arce are always great to watch though...
JonnyBlaze
I doubt we'll see Chavez Jr. not on PPV again..haha..I like him quite a bit but he is not PPV material,no matter what the price is..I bet rayfanofrealboxing or whatever will buy it but other than that,he is probably shit outta luck on the buys..Chavez Jr. is dope to see live though..I've seen him once fight live and he was really impressive,I forgot who he fought though..
Chi-Town
This is Bob Arum. Apparently. he's been making a profit off of these "Latin Fury" cards every time, so until one or two of them do horrible numbers, he's not gonna stop.
As for it being matter of him being pay-per-view material or not, Arum doesn't really care. As long as it makes dollars, he will do it. Remember, this is the same guy who tried to sneak Tye Fields into a title match. If you are a fighter and you have a market/fanbase that is willing to drop dollars on you, Arum will put you on PPV.
Mean Mister Mustard
Like Big G said, at least Arce and Donaire are on the card. One of the worst PPV's in recen history was the Mayweather-Baldomir one. Just awful.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 28 2008, 06:03 PM) [snapback]408603[/snapback]
Like Big G said, at least Arce and Donaire are on the card. One of the worst PPV's in recen history was the Mayweather-Baldomir one. Just awful.

Thank Zab" Super Dumbass" Judah for that one. Just a little humor. And to be honest, I do not remember the undercard.

As far as this PPV, no way I will ever pay to watch Chavez Jr. fight. Well...unless they throw him in with say a Paul Williams or that caliber fighter.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Oct 28 2008, 06:41 PM) [snapback]408609[/snapback]
Thank Zab" Super Dumbass" Judah for that one. Just a little humor. And to be honest, I do not remember the undercard.
As far as this PPV, no way I will ever pay to watch Chavez Jr. fight. Well...unless they throw him in with say a Paul Williams or that caliber fighter.

Unfortunately a lot of us do.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 28 2008, 06:43 PM) [snapback]408610[/snapback]
Unfortunately a lot of us do.

laugh.gif
King Eugene
HYPE JOB!!!
Bazooka Limon
The Jones/Calzaghe undercard is crap, but the chavez card should not be ppv either.
blackbelt2003
Why is there such a growing trend of shit undercards on PPV?

I've lost count of the amount of recent big fights where I've looked up in the trade papers what the undercard is and thought, "oh, what a pile of shit."

For a card to be PPV it should have a big, big main event and at least two world class support fights, with preferably a couple of televised prospects on top of that. Chavez Jr is hardly a big main event. Granted, Donaire and Arce are world class support fights, but otherwise this sucks.

Black
Jack 1000
QUOTE(blackbelt2003 @ Oct 31 2008, 02:55 PM) [snapback]408853[/snapback]
Why is there such a growing trend of shit undercards on PPV?
I've lost count of the amount of recent big fights where I've looked up in the trade papers what the undercard is and thought, "oh, what a pile of shit."
For a card to be PPV it should have a big, big main event and at least two world class support fights, with preferably a couple of televised prospects on top of that. Chavez Jr is hardly a big main event. Granted, Donaire and Arce are world class support fights, but otherwise this sucks.
Black

Cosign!

Thanks Black! I remember the day when back in the mid 90's Don King would do like 4-5 TITLE fights on a PPV. That's what a PPV should be! Today's PPV's are crap most of the time. The main event at times is comparable to an HBO B.A.D match. And I don't mean HBO B.A.D from the late 90's when B.A.D showed some of the best fights around. I mean what B.A.D is today with mediocre fights. Some of the undercards don't pass for ESPN material.

Jack
Jack 1000
It's hard for me to see a Vanda win here. Even though they have moved the rematch from Mexico to Vegas. Vanda's been robbed before, and Chavez Jr. is one of Bob Arum's meal tickets. Top Rank can't really market Vanda the way they want to market Chavez. So, I still think Matt's going to have to win 9 rounds cleanly, just to get a draw.

I heard the first fight was very close. It should have been a draw to a two-point edge either way. But one of the judges had Chavez winning every round 100-90 even though Vanda hurt him badly in the later stages of the fight and Chavez appeared gassed after 4 rounds. Most had Vanda up by two points. That 100-90 Chavez card was so bad, it suggested corruption. But Vegas isn't exactly a safe haven for decisions either. Vanda just does not have much to add to Top Rank's strong Latino fan base for these PPV's by winning. Just food for thought.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.