Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mijares vs Darchinyan this weekend (Preview and Predictions)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2/headl...lpIaOkbiIy.html

Australia's IBF super flyweight champion Vic Darchinyan (30-1-1, 24 KOs) is confident of defeating the WBC/WBA super flyweight champion Cristian Mijares (36-3-2, 15 KOs) on Saturday to become unified champion when they clash at the Home Depot Centre, Carson, California. Referee will be Lou Moret and judges Pat Russell, Jack Reiss and Marty Denkin. Darchinyan said "I'm going to show a very good fight. I'm ready for this fight. I'm going to prove it to you on the 1st of November. You're going to see it's not only talk. I'm delivering what I'm saying. The last press conference I was speaking in English and everyone understood what I was saying. Mijares is speaking in Spanish and not in English. But after I find out he was not translating everything. He would say something in Mexican, he said I'm talking because I'm afraid of him. If I know he's talking like that, I will knock him out in that moment. Now I'm saying, I understand what he's said. If I'm scared, I'm going to show 1st November what I'm going to do you. I'm going to break you in half. And I did already fight (indiscernible) but they'll be ready for him, and they'll meet you in hospital." Darchinyan is managed by Sydney businessman Elias Nasser.

LOL. This is actually pretty funny, it took me a while to figure what Vic is saying. Credit to fightnews also, it appears that they don't edit or change fighters words, haha.

But seriously, the fight is this weekend. I'm looking forward to it, but I think Mijares will tame Darchinyan much like he did with Arce, but I think Darchinyan will put up a much better fight, as it will be hard not to as from what I remember, I didn't give Arce a single round.
AussieLad
Whilst i think that Kirilov was a very very mediocre champion at best, i think that Vic showed he has some skills when he decides to use them. He was actually throwing a decent jab to set up his power punches

No doubt, Mijares is a far better boxer than Vic though. But so long as Vic is actually using his jab he has a small chance of landing a fight changing punch.

Still, i'm tipping Mijares by wide UD.

This will be an interesting match
salvador
I'm looking forward to this fight as well. If every fighter had half of Darchynian's charisma, boxing would be bigger than football.

One thing I can't understand is why Darchynian-Arce hasn't happened. Am I wrong to assume that this is the biggest money fight in the division?
jp
If Vic loses than I think they look to make Darchynian/Arce. Personally I can't stand Vic anymore, I usually tend to root for fighters with his type of charisma/attitude and I agree that if more fighters displayed the same kind of showmanship that Vic has boxing would be a much more interesting sport to the general public. But, the way he acted immediatley after the end of the Burgos fight showed a real lack of class.

For being such a good fighter Mijares gets hit more than I would like to see and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets dropped early. That being said Vic's skills/technique are about as raw as your going to get and I think Mijares wins a clear cut decision, something like 9-3 or 8-4.
kidbazooka1
I can't tell if Vic is seriouse when he says what he says or if he's just mentaly not all there. The guy loves to talk sh*t I would love to see him get stopped agian but thats not Mijares game I see Vic losing pretty much in the same fashion as Arce.

Mijares by easy decision.
jp
I think Vic is serious and I also think that he's not all there mentally. Vic's problem is that he is not going to learn anything from the Donaire fight. He is always going to fight the same way, even if he is going up against a superior boxer. It's hard to fault him for that because that style has gotten him this far but just like Pavlik against Hopkins he is not going to have a plan B and that's going to show very early on.

Has anybody seen the odds for this fight?

AussieLad
The first fight after the donaire blowout, Vic looked like he hadnt learnt a thing. But Vic can box, albeit with that very awkward style, he simply chooses not too and throws bombs. The kirilov fight showed that if he wants to, he can control the aggression and actually implement a game plan. I really hope its this version of darchinyan that shows up

jp, i really dont know what your talking about in regards to the burgos fight. I just rewatched the ending. After the stoppage, everyone crowds around burgos to examine him, vic raises his hands and gets put up on his trainers shoulders, nothing unusual there for any fighter to have done. At that point there is no way he could have known how bad a shape burgos was in. And after they brought the stretcher in, vic looked very concerned, and said in the post fight interview that he hoped he was alright and called him a hero? I think you should watch it again if you think he was gloating over the damage he'd done to burgos
Fitz
I agree that Vic is ordinary, but I kinda like him and I am drawn to his fights. He is too cocky for his own good, but hey at least he goes after big and tough fights and sitting back feasting on bums isn't his style so he gets points there.
Also I hear people saying how he hadn't learnt a thing from the KO, I suppose it isn't good but I prefer to see a fighter go that way than go into a shell and become frightened.
Also the Arce fight didn't happen, it's funny because it was a highly demanded fight and both suffered embarassing losses and the fight lost it's appeal and they were left with nothing for a while, lol. Arce should have taken the fight with Vic instead of moving up when he had the chance.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(jp @ Oct 29 2008, 01:34 PM) [snapback]408698[/snapback]
If Vic loses than I think they look to make Darchynian/Arce. Personally I can't stand Vic anymore, I usually tend to root for fighters with his type of charisma/attitude and I agree that if more fighters displayed the same kind of showmanship that Vic has boxing would be a much more interesting sport to the general public. But, the way he acted immediatley after the end of the Burgos fight showed a real lack of class.

For being such a good fighter Mijares gets hit more than I would like to see and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets dropped early. That being said Vic's skills/technique are about as raw as your going to get and I think Mijares wins a clear cut decision, something like 9-3 or 8-4.

Good point, he's slick but he's Mexican so he has to mix it up inthere sometimes. He better not mix too much against Vic.
jp
jp, i really dont know what your talking about in regards to the burgos fight. I just rewatched the ending. After the stoppage, everyone crowds around burgos to examine him, vic raises his hands and gets put up on his trainers shoulders, nothing unusual there for any fighter to have done. At that point there is no way he could have known how bad a shape burgos was in. And after they brought the stretcher in, vic looked very concerned, and said in the post fight interview that he hoped he was alright and called him a hero? I think you should watch it again if you think he was gloating over the damage he'd done to burgos
Aussielad, my old DVR took a shit on me a while back and I lost a bunch of fights, including Darch/Burgos. From what I remember from the Showtime telecast as Jim Grey was interviewing Vic he hardly acknowledged that Burgos might have been seriously hurt and transitioned straight into his asshole "TV" persona. I could be off base but my first impression was that he showed a real lack of class which was then compounded by the fact that he almost killed Burgos and the man ended up in a coma for 30 plus days.

Also I hear people saying how he hadn't learnt a thing from the KO, I suppose it isn't good but I prefer to see a fighter go that way than go into a shell and become frightened.

I agree that fighters can't just go into a shell and be afraid of getting beat/KO'd again, but I do think that if he doesn't add any wrinkles to his game he's always going to have major problems with fighters who are good/great boxers.
Jack 1000
I like Mijares by UD. I can't get Vic's loss to Donaire out of my head and the fact that Darchinyan gets hit often cleanly, but has been using that awkward style of his, suggests a good but sloppy defense which a skilled boxer can use with effective timing and ring generalship. Catch Vic coming in and he can be KO'd or at best becomes ordinary. Scores will be 116-112 (twice) and 115-113 for Mijares.

Jack
BigG
Darchinyan always has the punchers chance but I'm thinking he'll get outboxed and lose a decision.
Fitz
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 1 2008, 10:22 AM) [snapback]408872[/snapback]
Darchinyan always has the punchers chance but I'm thinking he'll get outboxed and lose a decision.

That pretty much sums it up. I saw Mijares shut out Arce (off memory, I didn't give Arce a single round) with just the 1,2 alone. He did what he had to do and nothing more, and stuck to his plan, and looked good doing it. I can't see Darchinyan doing miles better then Arce. I think he will win some rounds, but that's about it. But like you said also, I give Vic the punchers chance.
kidbazooka1
Mijares by easy UD.
AussieLad

Both looking in shape at the weigh in. Definitely noting Mijares reach advantage
Imperius3
Mijares will dominate, and I have a feeling Darchinyan will walk into something very clean like in the Donaire fight. Mijares TKO 9
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.