Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Randy Couture vs Brock Lesnar
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
AussieLad
Randy is a legend, and is one of those guys that cant be counted out simply because of his age and his recent inactivity.

Brock is larger, faster, more powerfull, and possesses an equally strong wrestling pedigree. His striking however is rudimentary at best, and i think that will be the key to his downfall in this fight.

Neither guy will go for submissions, brock simply doesnt seem to have any, and randy will likely prefer to strike considering brock can simply muscle out of most submission scenarios (excluding ankle locks lol)

I cant see randy being strong enough to press lesnar up against the cage, and that will negate his best asset in the dirty boxing, so i expect him to try and show angles and turn this into a striking match. He should have enough wrestling ability to avoid lesnars take downs, but i dont think he will land hard enough to put brock away

Randy by decision in a competitive match
King Eugene
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Oct 31 2008, 10:00 PM) [snapback]408899[/snapback]
Randy is a legend, and is one of those guys that cant be counted out simply because of his age and his recent inactivity.

Brock is larger, faster, more powerfull, and possesses an equally strong wrestling pedigree. His striking however is rudimentary at best, and i think that will be the key to his downfall in this fight.

Neither guy will go for submissions, brock simply doesnt seem to have any, and randy will likely prefer to strike considering brock can simply muscle out of most submission scenarios (excluding ankle locks lol)

I cant see randy being strong enough to press lesnar up against the cage, and that will negate his best asset in the dirty boxing, so i expect him to try and show angles and turn this into a striking match. He should have enough wrestling ability to avoid lesnars take downs, but i dont think he will land hard enough to put brock away

Randy by decision in a competitive match

I'm Picking Randy by either UD or late stoppage.

I think he'll survive Lesnar's initial onslaught of power and will suprise him with his striking ability like he did Chuck the first fight. But he'll be tossed around like a rag doll for the first couple of minutes.
rusty_trombone
does the winner of this fight andre the giant?
AussieLad
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Nov 4 2008, 01:28 AM) [snapback]409206[/snapback]
does the winner of this fight andre the giant?

Valuev doesnt fight in MMA
BigG
I think Brock will be too strong.
The CEO
I'm feeling a dominant Lesnar win here....which takes alot of courage to say...because History proves it's not smart to bet against Couture....

but yeah...Brock is too young, too strong, and too hungry....Randy hasn't fought in a while, and his time's gotta be up sometime, right?....RIGHT?...lol
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Nov 5 2008, 02:36 AM) [snapback]409386[/snapback]
Valuev doesnt fight in MMA

yet
BigG
I'm still waiting to see how Brock reacts when he gets hit in the face...In all the MMA fights I've seen him in he just instantly takes his opponents down and pounds them out.
AussieLad
Just reading that Dana White thinks Lesnar would kick the shit out of Fedor... ummm yeah laugh.gif He really is pinning his hopes on old brock becoming the face of the UFC
The CEO
Stream here...Couture-Lesnar coming up soon...
The CEO
and Lesnar pounds Couture out in the 2nd....

Lesnar won the first round by controlling Couture in the clinch...in the 2nd, he caught Randy with a nice shot to the side of head and dropped him....Lesnar jumped on him immediately and hammer fisted/elbowed him 'til the ref waved it off....

Brock Lesnar is the new UFC Heavweight Champion of The World....
Fitz
So the former WWE champion came a long to UFC, and has now become the champion in like a year (give or take)? lol.
The CEO
Yep...Lesnar's just a brute...the size difference was crazy....old Couture was impressive in his own right....he held his own for a while and got out of some hairy situations....

In Brock's defense....he did knee the shit out of Couture several times and showed he has a chin....he took some good punches....he controlled Randy in the clinch and on the ground....if he finds a perfect weight and develops his conditioning and Jiu-Jitsu, he might be around for a while.....
D-MARV
A former Actor for the WWE, and NFL reject just became the king of UFC!!!

WOW.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 16 2008, 01:22 AM) [snapback]411231[/snapback]
So the former WWE champion came a long to UFC, and has now become the champion in like a year (give or take)? lol.

LOL... I didn't even read you rpost before I posted the last post. We were thinking the same thing... lol
AussieLad
Man, people are shitting on lesnar because he won the title so quickly. But, in a real fight, he smacks the shit out of every boxer on the planet at the moment... laugh at that... LOL

It was a perfect style match up for lesnar. Randy is not a submission fighter, and he just met a guy who was basically a bigger, stronger, younger version of himself.

Brocks kryptonite is still the submission guys. Should be interesting watch him defend against the winner of Mir vs Big Nog. And fedor arm bars brock in the first round
Fitz
I was a wrestling fan, and now I can laugh at people who say wrestling is for pussies, fake and basically talk shit about them. All I have to do is reference Lesnar now, easy as that. lol.
I don't care what anybody says, this guy has been in the business for less than a year. What did he have, like a 2-1 record and became the UFC heavyweight champion? He may be good, but I can't imagine someone doing that to a boxer in that amount of time.
Don't follow MMA really, but just seems like they don't have stable champions (other than Fedor who I know of). it's as if anybody can beat anybody, champions are always losing. Just seems strange to me.
Fitz
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Nov 17 2008, 10:07 AM) [snapback]411314[/snapback]
Man, people are shitting on lesnar because he won the title so quickly. But, in a real fight, he smacks the shit out of every boxer on the planet at the moment... laugh at that... LOL

It appears he would do the same to MMA and UFC fighters also, lol. In a real fight, weapons, groups of people get involved. There's no such thing as MMA rules in 'real' fights.
Why do MMA fans always have to resort to mythical street fights? lol.
AussieLad
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 16 2008, 11:24 PM) [snapback]411320[/snapback]
Don't follow MMA really, but just seems like they don't have stable champions (other than Fedor who I know of). it's as if anybody can beat anybody, champions are always losing. Just seems strange to me.

Its because the fans that follow boxing are so used to fighters padding their resumes with bums to protect their unbeaten records that they think its strange to see champions with losses on their records... LOL... Calzaghe, hopkins, two prime examples of highly respected boxers with long lists of nobodies in their "title streaks"

Lesnar got thrown in with the sharks early, no easy ride the tope for him. Former title holder Frank Mir in his first fight in the UFC, long time contender Heath Herring in his 2nd, and Hall of Fame champion Randy Couture in his third. Tell me, which modern boxer started his career fighting such stiff competition? Hmmm?
AussieLad
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 16 2008, 11:26 PM) [snapback]411321[/snapback]
It appears he would do the same to MMA and UFC fighters also, lol. In a real fight, weapons, groups of people get involved. There's no such thing as MMA rules in 'real' fights.
Why do MMA fans always have to resort to mythical street fights? lol.

ANother easy question to answer, its because MMA is closer to a real fight than boxing. Sure, theres no broken bottles, multiple people on one, etc. in MMA... but then theres none of that in boxing either. But there is wrestling, kicking, elbows, knees, chokes etc in real fights, and guess what, they feature heavily in MMA and not boxing. Simple really, but for some reason boxing fans cant do the math? Just seems strange to me
Fitz
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Nov 17 2008, 10:34 AM) [snapback]411325[/snapback]
Its because the fans that follow boxing are so used to fighters padding their resumes with bums to protect their unbeaten records that they think its strange to see champions with losses on their records... LOL... Calzaghe, hopkins, two prime examples of highly respected boxers with long lists of nobodies in their "title streaks"

So you don't think it's strange that a guy who has been in the sport less than a year, with a 2-1 record and losing to (from what I hear, a good but not world class fighter) and then beating the UFC heavyweight champion?
That's strange in any sport for me, for anyone to have that little experience and do something like that.
Fitz
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Nov 17 2008, 10:39 AM) [snapback]411329[/snapback]
ANother easy question to answer, its because MMA is closer to a real fight than boxing. Sure, theres no broken bottles, multiple people on one, etc. in MMA... but then theres none of that in boxing either. But there is wrestling, kicking, elbows, knees, chokes etc in real fights, and guess what, they feature heavily in MMA and not boxing. Simple really, but for some reason boxing fans cant do the math? Just seems strange to me

That's my point, there are no rules.

But we weren't talking about street fighting. I was just mentioning, why do MMA fans resort to the street fight claim? When ever I have spoken with any MMA fan, I make some comments and discuss both sports and when ever the MMA fan doesn't know what to say, they are always like:

"well they would win in a street fight"

I don't understand what the point is. They won't fight in street fights, we don't watch street fights. I don't know, it just always comes off as a primary school tactic when kids are like "well my dad could beat your dad".

D-MARV
I guess we need to get Deontay Wilder a title shot next Year... LOL

AussieLad
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 16 2008, 11:40 PM) [snapback]411330[/snapback]
So you don't think it's strange that a guy who has been in the sport less than a year, with a 2-1 record and losing to (from what I hear, a good but not world class fighter) and then beating the UFC heavyweight champion?
That's strange in any sport for me, for anyone to have that little experience and do something like that.

Well look at the circumstances.

1) In UFC, theres a alot of newcomers getting thrown to the wolves early in their careers. The beat downs make good telivision for blood thirsty fans who dont appreciate the technical aspects of the sport, and is part of the reason that MMA is on the upsurge and boxing is on the way down. I'm not saying i like watching some fool get his ass handed to him because of lop sided matchmaking, but its just how it is. In this case, the newcomer reversed the odds, which isnt the norm

2) MMA uses a variety of skillsets, and fighters come from a wide variety of backgrounds. Lesnar was a highly skilled wrestler, and wrestlers have historically done well in MMA. Lesnars skills were very similar to randy's skills. Its not like he was some dude off the street with no experience, he was one of the best wrestlers in the country

3) Lesnar was already a huge name, and highly marketable. It made good sense $$$ wise to have him in headline matches. So its not that hard to see why he got oppurtunities so early, when others with no name toil in obscurity for years. Fitz, you should know this from watching Mundines rise to PPV

4) From what you hear about Mir? Mir was a very dangerous fighter before his accident. He beat Tim Sylvia easier than Randy did, and he broke the guys arm in the process. You could clearly see the forearm snap. Sure, he had some losses after the accident because he was out of shape, which is understandable considering the circumstances. Mir was in the best condition i have seen him in some time vs lesnar, and the result was not that surprising. As i said earlier, wrestlers in general including lesnar, there kryptonite is submission fighters who can exploit a wrestlers tendency to want to take someone to the floor and can win fights off their back
AussieLad
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 16 2008, 11:45 PM) [snapback]411334[/snapback]
That's my point, there are no rules.

But we weren't talking about street fighting. I was just mentioning, why do MMA fans resort to the street fight claim? When ever I have spoken with any MMA fan, I make some comments and discuss both sports and when ever the MMA fan doesn't know what to say, they are always like:

"well they would win in a street fight"

I don't understand what the point is. They won't fight in street fights, we don't watch street fights. I don't know, it just always comes off as a primary school tactic when kids are like "well my dad could beat your dad".

So your not disputing boxers, calzaghe and hopkins included, pad their resumes?
Fitz
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Nov 17 2008, 11:08 AM) [snapback]411343[/snapback]
So your not disputing boxers, calzaghe and hopkins included, pad their resumes?

It's not just Hopkins and Calzaghe. It's way boxing is run in general. You can get any top fighter that has say 30 fights, about about 6 of those fights (give or take) are solid fights and a lot are experience fights early in there career, so I'm not sure why you are nailing it to 2 fights, when it's like that in general.
Also boxing and UFC from my understanding are totally different. Compared to boxers, UFC fights basically fight for peanuts and there event make similar to what boxers make. Also you don't have multiple promoters in the one organization, so he can choose what fights to make and make things easier. Boxing isn't like that and you should know that as you follow both sports.

Also I never argued that Lesnar shouldn't be headlining a PPV, I don't care about that fact either, as I wanted Lesnar to win as I used to be a wrestling fan and it's kinda cool to see how many 'real' fight fans used to diss pro wrestling in general. I was more just shocked that a guy who has been in the business for less than a year or so was able to become champion.
BrutalBodyShots
This fight just proves that MMA is garbage compared to boxing. You'll NEVER find a boxer with 2 fights take on a champion and win. First of all the guy with 2 fights would never get the title shot, but if he did no way he'd win the fight. The fact that it can be done in MMA speaks volumes about the sport with respect to boxing.

BigG
Lesnar is a talented athlete but it really kind of does sound like a joke to the average sports fan when a guy comes straight out of fake wrestling to become Heavyweight Champ in 3-4 fights.
Fitz
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 17 2008, 02:55 PM) [snapback]411390[/snapback]
This fight just proves that MMA is garbage compared to boxing. You'll NEVER find a boxer with 2 fights take on a champion and win. First of all the guy with 2 fights would never get the title shot, but if he did no way he'd win the fight. The fact that it can be done in MMA speaks volumes about the sport with respect to boxing.

I thought the same. Well it seemed kind of strange anyways. I wasn't sure what to think of the sport in terms of their champion quality, as I can't imagine this happening to a champion in any sport (and I don't just mean martial arts). But I don't really follow MMA, but from what I understand, you follow MMA don't you Brutal, am I correct? So I'm not entirely wrong it seems.
AussieLad
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 17 2008, 02:17 AM) [snapback]411360[/snapback]
It's not just Hopkins and Calzaghe. It's way boxing is run in general. You can get any top fighter that has say 30 fights, about about 6 of those fights (give or take) are solid fights and a lot are experience fights early in there career, so I'm not sure why you are nailing it to 2 fights, when it's like that in general.

The point i was making by nailing those 2 fighters in particular is that they are both highly respected boxers. PEOPLE swing from both their nuts like their crotches were a childrens playground set. Seems like to make the average boxing fan happy, MMA fighters should fight 20 or 30 stiffs, then cherry pick a few quality opponents at the tail end of their careers...

Tell me, do you like the way boxing is run in general? I find it amusing when people bring up the "boxing is better than MMA because boxers get paid more" argument. And the money is exactly the problem big fights dont get made in boxing, because everyone is protecting that record. Sure the fighters dont get paid as much in UFC, but do i give a fuck? Can i spend that money? No, so why should i give a shit about how much they get paid when all i am interested in is watching the best fights.

If you want to watch highly paid paintywaists boast about how they are the best thing the world has ever seen since antibiotics and the moon landing, and only occasionally making worthwhile fights, thats your choice. But thats not my cup of tea
AussieLad
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 17 2008, 03:55 AM) [snapback]411390[/snapback]

It was lesnars 4th MMA fight. Fenech won the IBF title in his 7th pro fight. I guess 7 is a much bigger number than 4...LOL drag.gif

And dont bother bringing up fenechs amateur career, lesnars amateur wrestling career is what made him what he is
Fitz
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Nov 17 2008, 05:07 PM) [snapback]411401[/snapback]
I find it amusing when people bring up the "boxing is better than MMA because boxers get paid more" argument.

Show me where I said that?

That's right, because I didn't. My point about fighters getting paid more is that the promoters have a much tighter budget, so the match making is harder to match with UFC cards. Boxing have multiple promoters, and makes match making all difficult. UFC has one, which makes fights a lot easier to make. Seems like you missed the whole entire point.
I didn't mention it as a reason why boxers are better, lol.
D-MARV
I have a lot of respect for MMA... Im sure they train just as hard as boxers but when it comes down to it, I just dont see the excitement. Most MMA fights I have seen, I see two men laying on the ground for 3 minutes a round. I can't get into it. Ive tried but I just can't do it. And the only excitement Ive witness in MMA has lasted no longer than 5 seconds.
ROLL DEEP
I watched the whole card.

I'm a MMA fan. I don't follow it intensely, but will watch it whenever it's on and for those who don't know I train in Kickboxing and BJJ.

I enjoyed the card. The fights were entertaining and it was great fun to watch.

I'm a boxing fan first of all and I gotta admit it was fun to watch, but I still enjoyed watching Haye-Barrett more than Lesnar-Coture.

Lesnar-Coture was exciting.....it was good to see how a seasoned pro like Randy would get on with the WWE star (yeah, I know he had a wreslting background, but you know thats all he'll be remembered as).

I often wonder why MMA fans nearly always throw that old 'Yeah, but (insert MMA fighter here) would win in a street fight!'. Why is that? laugh.gif

I like watching the UFC cards......and there are some more exciting fights then boxing ones.....but out of an exciting boxing one and an exciting MMA one, give me the boxing one anytime.
BigG
I don't give Wrestlers much respect as athletes but I give them respect as performers.

Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle are obviously the exceptions though because they have fighting backgrounds (Brock being a national champion and Kurt being an olympian)
BigG
They may be athletic...but I just don't respect them because they are actors.

And Judah would behead Rey Mysterio with a left hand.
BigG
Meysterio fake punches wont work on Zab haha.gif

But if Mysterio can get Zab on the ropes he might have a chance at the 619
STEVENSKI
Zab would prefer a 69 from another bloke I think.
BigG
Judah has more man in his pinky than Fenech has his whole body.

Oh and Fitz, I'm not trying to disrespect wreslters. Alot of them are good athletes...some former football players, etc, etc...but Wrestling is not a sport...it's not competition...it's simply a show that's entertaining, with tons of drama. the outcome is pre-determined, all they have to do is do put on a show. That's why I don't really respect them AS athletes.

And in all seriousness, Judah would fuck Mysterio up in a street fight..I don't think that's even debatable. Judah has been trained to kick peoples asses since he was a kid. He goes through punishing training camps and has been a fighter for some time. Just because he can't beat better world class fighters (ie Mayweather) doesn't mean he can't knock the Average Joe out.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 19 2008, 09:05 AM) [snapback]411822[/snapback]
And in all seriousness, Judah would fuck Mysterio up in a street fight..I don't think that's even debatable. Judah has been trained to kick peoples asses since he was a kid. He goes through punishing training camps and has been a fighter for some time. Just because he can't beat better world class fighters (ie Mayweather) doesn't mean he can't knock the Average Joe out.

I think it is debatable. I know Judah is a professional fighter but what would happen if he got taken down. You don't think the first thing these wrestlers learn is how to seriously hurt someone so that if one tries to take advantage of another they can defend themselves. If Judah landed one on him sure he would probably knock him cold but if Judah got taken down he would probably wind up with some broken bones.

Oh yeah RM would earn more than the "thousandaire" Judah.
BigG
Isn't Michaels 6'3, 225 pounds?
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 20 2008, 07:26 AM) [snapback]412030[/snapback]
Isn't Michaels 6'3, 225 pounds?

Wrestlers are huge!!!!! Hulk Hogan didn't seem to be a giant compared to other wrestlers and he was 6'6 305lbs in his prime!
D-MARV
You guys remember X-Pac? Remember how small he was?

Well... he would have been a "Heavyweight" if he was a boxer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.