Nov 2 2008, 04:23 PM
I was thinking about him beating Winky Wright last night & looked on youtube to see if I could watch the fight & found none on him! I then looked him up on boxrec & seen he fought last year...@ 168 but it meant to me that he is out after killing the 2nd person while driving drunk! Anyone know anything more then that? Hell this guy is out in less than 5 years & Micheal Nunn gets 25 years? This guy messed up his career either way just like Nunn did!
Nov 2 2008, 05:13 PM
I had to google him & it was worse than I even thought! Total he has killed 5 people with his car! One a baby!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Simon_(boxer)
Simon was involved in a car accident in late 2002, and was seriously injured. Three Belgian tourists - two adults and a baby - died in the collision with Simon's Mercedes-Benz at Langstrand in November 2002. He was earlier involved in another car accident that saw two people killed. On August 5, 2005, Simon was given a two-year jail sentence after he was found guilty of "culpable homicide" stemming from the November 2002 car accident that resulted in the deaths of the three people .
Mean Mister Mustard
Nov 2 2008, 05:23 PM
He killed people in two seperate accidents? I did not know that. Was he drunk? Or maybe he's like Stuntman Mike.
Nov 2 2008, 05:53 PM
Drunk both times! 1st time he got off cause they lost the blood test!
Nov 2 2008, 06:13 PM
Only 2 years? That's bullshit. How did he get so lucky? I would've given him life.
Nov 3 2008, 07:31 AM
Did y'all catch the one story by clicking on the 1? Simon was going 160KPH. I don't know exactly how fast that is but 120KPH=75MPH
so over 100MPH I take it.
FORMER world boxing champion Harry Simon was yesterday sentenced to an effective two years in jail after he was found guilty of culpable homicide in the Walvis Bay Regional Court.
The charge stemmed from a horror accident at Langstrand in November 2002 in which three Belgian tourists - two adults and a baby - were killed.
In the courtroom, jampacked beyond capacity, emotions ranging from elation to disappointment were almost palpable when Magistrate Gert Retief pulled no punches in reprimanding the accused for his reckless actions.
After finding Simon solely responsible for the accident, the Magistrate said: "I can't see why cases like this can't be charged as murder."
There were mixed emotions among the two surviving Belgians and their families.
Agnes Cornelis, the mother of Carol Cornelis, one of the survivors of the accident, said "nobody can give back what was taken, but we're happy, also for the people here".
Carol Cornelis is the mother of 22-month-old Ibe who was killed in the accident.
Immediately after the boxer was convicted, his legal counsel, Slysken Makando, tried to persuade the court that his client should be fined rather than sent to jail.
He claimed Simon had suffered tremendous financial losses because his vehicle had not been insured, because of needing medical treatment and because his boxing career had been brought to a halt.
Prosecutor Job Kozonguizi countered that the scales of justice had been disturbed and could only be restored if the accused was sent to jail for what he had done.
He called Simon a "road terror" who had caused people to lose their lives.
In weighing the evidence, Magistrate Retief said it was no ordinary case of negligence, but one where the driver had not used common sense and had wilfully departed from clear instructions of the law and disregarded his own life and those of others.
"Your losses are nothing in comparison to the loss of lives of the people in the Nissan.
Since I see little remorse, if not nothing, from your side, a fine would be an inappropriate punishment."
'FORCED ARGUMENT' Earlier the Magistrate had expressed doubts over the testimony of Rudolph Opperman, the expert witness called by the defence.
He said Opperman's opinion - that the Belgians' Nissan double cab was not stationary and not in the right lane at the time of the accident - seemed to be a forced argument.
The Magistrate noted that the three witnesses driving behind the Belgians at the time testified that the Nissan was driving slowly and had indicated its intention to turn.
They all testified that the Nissan was stationary in the right-hand southbound lane, waiting for the oncoming car, when they [witnesses] passed the Belgians' vehicle on the left.
They were so close to the collision that water from the engine of the Nissan splashed onto their car when the crash occurred.
Retief said he could not see why a person would drive slowly, obey the rules of the road, stop 15 metres from a turnoff, wait for an oncoming vehicle and then make a suicide turn.
The Magistrate agreed with the prosecutor's expert witness, Wilna Badenhorst, that the marks on the road did not indicate the point of impact.
He also believed that her estimate of the speed of the Mercedes was correct.
He was dissatisfied with Opperman's failure to even attempt to calculate the speed at which Simon's Mercedes was travelling, and said that even a layman could come to some conclusion judging from the damage to the cars and the distance of the vehicles from the point of impact.
The Nissan was flung about 40 metres and the Mercedes approximately 35 metres, partly in thick sand.
"Logic calls on us to accept under those circumstances that the vehicle of the accused was driven at excessive speed," he said.
"Driving at 160 kilometres per hour at night, ignoring a double barrier line, puts not only the driver and passenger of the Mercedes in an extremely dangerous situation, but also other road users.
"Travelling at 50 metres per second is by all standards dangerous.
One can hardly react when noticing an obstacle.
To overtake on a double barrier line places a great danger on the road.
No reasonable person will do that.
Therefore the actions of the accused amounts to a wilful disregard of the rules of the road as well as other people's lives and property."
Magistrate Retief expressed the hope that this conviction and punishment would send a message to other road users that negligence would not be tolerated.
He decided that the second count of exceeding the speed limit was reflected in the first count of culpable homicide and therefore only ruled on the latter charge.
Simon was sentenced to four years' imprisonment of which two were suspended for five years.
He was granted bail of N$10 000 pending his appeal against the sentence.
The suspension of Simon's driver's licence will stand over until the appeal is finalised.
The driver of the Nissan, Frederick de Winter (31), the father of baby Ibe, was killed in the accident, as was Michelle de Clerck (29), the mother of two children.