Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calzaghe Looks Sloppy
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Box in Hand
After looking at Calzaghe's open workout on here, I came to see that he doesn't look all that sharp. He looks like he's going to try and sit down on his punches for more power which is going to get him killed against Roy. Roy is still quick and can still generate power so Calzaghe needs to use angles and speed instead of trying to hurt Roy. What do you guys think?
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(Box in Hand @ Nov 4 2008, 02:17 PM) [snapback]409319[/snapback]
After looking at Calzaghe's open workout on here, I came to see that he doesn't look all that sharp. He looks like he's going to try and sit down on his punches for more power which is going to get him killed against Roy. Roy is still quick and can still generate power so Calzaghe needs to use angles and speed instead of trying to hurt Roy. What do you guys think?

Nah, the same Joe will turn up.

You don't have 45 fights and then change style in your last fight. It'll be the same, bull forward, pitty-patty fast slap puching from Calzaghe and the move around, pot shot, cover up on the ropes Jones.

You can't really read into training sessions.....especially when they're open sessions and they know everyones watching.
Box in Hand
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Nov 4 2008, 01:23 PM) [snapback]409321[/snapback]
Nah, the same Joe will turn up.
You don't have 45 fights and then change style in your last fight. It'll be the same, bull forward, pitty-patty fast slap puching from Calzaghe and the move around, pot shot, cover up on the ropes Jones.
You can't really read into training sessions.....especially when they're open sessions and they know everyones watching.

Maybe you're right. He just doesn't look sharp. He missed the pads quite a few times. That pitty pat stuff might not work in this fight but Roy is known for rseting on the ropes.
Chi-Town
I agree, fighting like that will get him tatooed. Roy is still very quick on the draw. He has faded noticibly in some areas of his game, but handspeed is one area where he is still an elite fighter. Don't get me wrong, his hands have slowed down a little, but he's still can get punches off faster than 99% of 175lb fighters. I see him getting caught with a few flush shots though, but I don't think Joe Cal has the power to hurt him, even with Roys fragile chin.

Side note: Why did Greg Leon Release a P4P list with Winky Wright on it? Shit like that can ruin someone's credibility.
D-MARV
Calazghe always looks sloppy!

But that didn't matter in his first 45 fights!
Method
Calzaghe looked sloppy vs Hopkins too...but seems like the judges cant tell the difference between what he throws and what he lands. The most amateurish style this side of the amateurs. Flails like a motherfucker.
Box in Hand
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 4 2008, 06:00 PM) [snapback]409345[/snapback]
Calzaghe looked sloppy vs Hopkins too...but seems like the judges cant tell the difference between what he throws and what he lands. The most amateurish style this side of the amateurs. Flails like a motherfucker.

I couldn't agree with you more. Let's see if Roy can capatolize off of that?
buford54
Joe always throws pitty pat punches, unless you're stationary. Then he can actually put a little juice on them. If Roy lays on the ropes, they won't all be pitty pat punches that Joe throws.

The thing is, everyone that is facing Joe says the same thing. "Those little slaps won't do anything to me."
It's just that in actual practice, it's very hard to punch when you're being punched, no matter how softly, because of instinct.

Roy has accurately observed that Joe is always punching. He's also said that "he's going to win...he doesn't know how yet, but he will win."
If you know the guy punches constantly, you need some kind of a plan. If you come in without a plan, Joe's plan will "fill the void."

Short of an early KO, which I don't think will happen, I see Joe winning a UD. Joe avoids getting frustrated when he misses punches by not putting enough on the punches to have committed to them fully. Roy will make him miss early and expect him to get frustrated and slow down...but he won't, because the punches he misses will be arm slaps that don't consume much energy.
PR316
I think Roy will make it interesting. At least in the early goings. But by the middle rounds Roy will start to slow down and resort to covering up on the ropes and every now and then getting in some solid bodyshots and headshots but it won't be enough, UNLESS.... He's able to seriously hurt Joe at any time. I think he can score a flash knockdown on Joe the way Hopkins did, but it'll be hard to keep up with a guy that throws that many punches, even if they're missing. I don't think Joe will ever hurt Roy. At least not seriously. Roy is still difficult to tag cleanly, especially if he gets into survival mode.

Calzaghe via UD. Hoping Roy wins like most here are I believe.
King Eugene
Atleast we are on the same page. LOL
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 6 2008, 12:18 AM) [snapback]409566[/snapback]
Haha. Well at least you have that in common. No plan, just hope. I wish both of you the best this weekend, lol.

Well thank ya. I'm 1 for 1 this week with Obama. If Jones wins I'm I'll be 2 for 2.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 6 2008, 12:27 AM) [snapback]409570[/snapback]
lol, I'm not even American or gave a shit about the elections and knew Obama was winning a couple of months ago.

Yea but it aint over til the fat lady sings!
MarzB

agreed and no more than you can read anything from Roy's "slap boxing" exhibition (smirk, they wasted precious camera time showing that crap??).

I want to add I hope that was just for show on 24/7 the sparring that Roy had. I seriously hope they brought up some "real" sparring guys that could psuedo simulate what Joe does..

The one thing I wanted to comment about Calazaghe's workouts that I noticed and I guess you don't change whats working is that ENZO always stands south paw. Every time I see this it drives me crazy. I recall (the overrated) Manny Stewart doing it (standing orthodox) with Jermain Taylor in prep for his fight with Winky Wright.

If you're doing it to warm up a fighter fine. But I think outside of facing southpaw (if facing a southpaw) sparring the mitts (which are used to build on timing) should be that way.

PS: But what do I know, Roger Mayweather didn't stand southpaw with Floyd when he faced Mitchell and Judah (but I do think Floyd is an exception)..
ROLL DEEP
Makes me laugh when Joe does a combination looking away then jsut walks off from the pads, like he's trying to act real cool.
D-MARV
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Nov 7 2008, 01:13 PM) [snapback]409757[/snapback]
Makes me laugh when Joe does a combination looking away then jsut walks off from the pads, like he's trying to act real cool.

LOL...
He looks like a damn fool!
PR316
^^^^ROTFLMAO!!!!..... laugh.gif
King Eugene
Was it just me or was Joe being extra cocky blowing kisses at the crowd like he already had this one in the bag?
D-MARV
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 7 2008, 11:06 PM) [snapback]409827[/snapback]
Was it just me or was Joe being extra cocky blowing kisses at the crowd like he already had this one in the bag?

He knows this isn't an easy fight!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.