Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dawson calls out Calzaghe
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Lil-lightsout
Just read it on fightnews.com. Good for you Chad, and hopefully Joe will accept his offer. I can not see how Joe could refuse. It would be in his hometown, a nice payday, would silence alot of his critics, and he is on top of his game right now.

All I know it would be a great fight, and Joe would have someone in there who throws fast, hard, and alot of punches too.
JD
Love to see it...but I think Calzaghe can make more if he chooses to give Hopkins a rematch.
D-MARV
Dawson is the only man on the planet who can challenge Calzghe IMO!
JonnyBlaze
It'd be a great fight but in my opinion,Calzaghe would get him..I am a big Dawson fan and always have been since he started comin up..My guy Darnell Wilson fought Dawson when Dawson was comin up..I talk to Darnell quite a bit still,it's too bad he decided to stay in the amateurs for so long cause he would of been a great guy to see against the guys of his era..I think Dawson/Calzaghe would be one of the dopest fights to make out there and definitely the best fight at light heavyweight..If Calzaghe retires,ya can't hold it against him for not fighting Dawson though..
ROLL DEEP
Cal wont fight Dawson. If he does have another fight, it'll either be a Hopkins rematch, or an easy farewell bout.

I don't think he'll fight again though.
salvador
Calzaghe's 36 and just closed out his career by dominating the sport's most iconic active fighter at MSG. Why on earth would he fight a lesser name fighter on a smaller stage when he doesn't need the money and already has his legacy cemented?

D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 9 2008, 03:19 PM) [snapback]410027[/snapback]
When Kellerman asked Calazghe about Dawson, he said he is a "waste of talent and he should have been a promoter."

LOL

he was talking about Kellerman
thefloatingmonkey
If Calzaghe fights again, I can see him fighting Hopkins or maybe Tarver. He definitely won't risk his 0 to fight Dawson.

Lil-lightsout
I think it is a 50/50 chance Joe fights again. If he wants to go out on top by beating a washed up Roy Jones, that's his choice. If he is okay with that, then I wish him luck in his retirement. But the knowledgeable fans know his resume is far from great. Sven Ottke retired undefeated, anybody going remember him 10 years from now? Seriously, say Joe retires undefeated, and 10-20 years from now people start talking about greats from this generation. Who do you think they will talk about? IMO it will be Hopkins, Jones, Mayweather, etc. Where are all the great fighters in there PRIMES that Joe beat? Did Oscar get major credit for beating a past his prime Chavez? Roy over McCallum? Holmes over Ali? You get the point. Well atleast in Wales he will go down as the greatest ever.

I just can not see him retireing yet, he just seems really good right now, and I just think it would be nice to see him in there maybe 2 or three more times. Also some other poster mentioned how elusive and hard it is to hit Joe, I definately agree, his upper body movement and footwork is awesome. I would just hate to see him retire like Mayweather did, though Floyd fought much better opposition.
JonnyBlaze
I'd actually also want a Glen Johnson/Calzaghe fight..That'd be a war I bet..
D-MARV
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 9 2008, 06:14 PM) [snapback]410051[/snapback]
I'd actually also want a Glen Johnson/Calzaghe fight..That'd be a war I bet..

Not enough money in that one!

If Calzaghe fights again there has to be money on the table!

Dawson would be huge and a fight that I view as 50/50!
Hopkins would be big in Wales!
LOL... Maybe he can talk Sven Ottke out of retirement! Somebody's 0 must go!!!! That would be huge overseas and a safe fight for Joe

FenderDG3
As much as I would love to see Calzaghe vs. Dawson, I don't see Calzaghe taking this fight.
BigG
I dont think Calzgahe will give Dawson a fight. Dawson has every tool to give Calzgahe a really hard night
Big Slim Sweet
I give Chad Dawson about the same chance of landing a fight with Calzaghe as I give Evander Holyfield of fulfilling his dream of retiring as undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 9 2008, 11:59 PM) [snapback]410100[/snapback]
I give Chad Dawson about the same chance of landing a fight with Calzaghe as I give Evander Holyfield of fulfilling his dream of retiring as undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.

thumbsdown_anim.gif
mrwigi
Im goin to get called crazy, but there is a pretty boy who really likes the spotlight. Dont get me wrong, 175 seems way too big for money, but at the same time, i think if the money is right, he will really fight and beat almost anyone. If joe fights on and win like 2 more big fights, you can look forward to pretty boy banging his drum.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 9 2008, 03:27 PM) [snapback]410031[/snapback]
Calzaghe's 36 and just closed out his career by dominating the sport's most iconic active fighter at MSG. Why on earth would he fight a lesser name fighter on a smaller stage when he doesn't need the money and already has his legacy cemented?

Thats the thing....his legacy is cemented.....but its not exactly an amazing legacy.

If he retires now, he'll be remembered as a brilliant fighter, which he was, but not in the elite bracket he feels he deserves.

Too many past it champions, Mario Veits and other WBO mandatories and easy fights in Wales.
buford54
Just look at history. Joe will wait until Dawson has lost at least twice before that fight ever happens.
He wouldn't come to the US to fight Roy in his prime because "there was more money in Wales," (knowing full well that Roy would never go overseas)...but he's willing to come to the US to fight Roy after he's lost 3 times and his reflexes are shot.

Sadly, Dawson is the only guy with the speed/skill to make it an interesting fight w/ Joe. Glen Johnson would too, but you know Joe would never take that fight ("tell him to finish his business with Clinton Woods").

Joe complains that he doesn't get his credit from the US public...the thing is, so many of us WANTED to like him. Back when Roy was undisputed, mouthing off and fighting the Glenn Kelly's of the world, he was the most hated guy in boxing. None of us had seen Joe C because he only fought in Wales, but we all wanted him to fight Roy and shut him up. He would have been a worldwide hero had he done that.
Instead, he waits until Roy is a shell and then comes to the US and expects to win a popularity contest? All I can say is, it takes a LOT of work to make this Roy Jones hater actually want Roy to win a fight.

As was already said, if Joe is satisfied with himself finishing his career against a washed up Roy Jones, then good for him.
mrwigi
QUOTE(buford54 @ Nov 10 2008, 07:49 AM) [snapback]410165[/snapback]
Just look at history. Joe will wait until Dawson has lost at least twice before that fight ever happens.
He wouldn't come to the US to fight Roy in his prime because "there was more money in Wales," (knowing full well that Roy would never go overseas)...but he's willing to come to the US to fight Roy after he's lost 3 times and his reflexes are shot.

Sadly, Dawson is the only guy with the speed/skill to make it an interesting fight w/ Joe. Glen Johnson would too, but you know Joe would never take that fight ("tell him to finish his business with Clinton Woods").

As was already said, if Joe is satisfied with himself finishing his career against a washed up Roy Jones, then good for him.

I must agree. Maybe welschmen will say his legacy is great, but who did he beat really? A overated Jeff Lacey, a 40 year ol hopkins, and a roy jones who isnt even the shell of the fighter he used to be... Some legacy.
ROLL DEEP
Calzaghe beat:

A 40 year old Hopkins
An old and shot Roy Jones
An old and shot Eubank
A ding dong battle with Byron Mitchell
A win over Tucker Pudwill laugh.gif
2 wins over Mario Veit laugh.gif laugh.gif

His best wins imo were Kessler and Lacy.

Kessler was a VERY live opponent and Calzaghe fought intelligently against him and socred a great win. Lacy, although overrated, was dominated like a bitch. Even if Lacy was a little overrated, to be outboxed that bad, was something special.

Calzaghe's win against Hopkins was a decent win, but two things stand out about that. 1/ Hopkins was 40 and 2/ It was a hotly disputed win.

Joe has a brilliant record, but not something extra special.

Calzaghe's already said he hates training and can easily walk away from boxing to spend time with his kids and gf, so I doubt he'll fight again.

If he does, he'll wait for Hopkins to get nearer to 50, or fight some punk in Wales as a goodbye fight.
salvador
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Nov 10 2008, 09:23 AM) [snapback]410170[/snapback]
Joe has a brilliant record, but not something extra special.
Calzaghe's already said he hates training and can easily walk away from boxing to spend time with his kids and gf, so I doubt he'll fight again.

If he does, he'll wait for Hopkins to get nearer to 50, or fight some punk in Wales as a goodbye fight.

I agree with everything you've said. But unlike everyone here, I'm not at all sure that the Dawson fight would bring him much money (relative to his fights with Jones, Hopkins, or even Kessler) or credit for his legacy. Dawson's only big wins were against Tarver and Johnson - both of whom were in their late 30s. And if Calzaghe did beat him, everyone would say that Dawson was overrated.

Just from watching 24/7, Calzaghe doesn't look like a guy who blows through money like most fighters. And I suspect that his grandchildren will be very very rich regardless of whether or not he fights Dawson. So I just can't see the fight happening.

That said, if he does fight again it will be Dawson. And if so, I'd take Calzaghe by decision.

Spyder
A Dawson victory won't do much for Calzaghe NOW...but after Dawson's career, it could be HUGE!

We don't know what Chad will accomplish later...much like Roy's win over Hopkins means more NOW than it did before Snaggles title reign.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Nov 10 2008, 08:40 AM) [snapback]410163[/snapback]
Thats the thing....his legacy is cemented.....but its not exactly an amazing legacy.
If he retires now, he'll be remembered as a brilliant fighter, which he was, but not in the elite bracket he feels he deserves.
Too many past it champions, Mario Veits and other WBO mandatories and easy fights in Wales.

Agreed all the way. Calzaghe is a terrific fighter, but his career is still only 3/4 achievement, 1/4 what if.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(buford54 @ Nov 10 2008, 08:49 AM) [snapback]410165[/snapback]

Joe complains that he doesn't get his credit from the US public...the thing is, so many of us WANTED to like him. Back when Roy was undisputed, mouthing off and fighting the Glenn Kelly's of the world, he was the most hated guy in boxing. None of us had seen Joe C because he only fought in Wales, but we all wanted him to fight Roy and shut him up. He would have been a worldwide hero had he done that.
Instead, he waits until Roy is a shell and then comes to the US and expects to win a popularity contest? All I can say is, it takes a LOT of work to make this Roy Jones hater actually want Roy to win a fight.

Excellent post as well. Funny bit about Glen Johnson. That is EXACTLY what Calzaghe would say too.
D-MARV
If Joe does indeed retire then he will go down as one of the greatest 168lbs of all time. Seems like a great career to me!
Spyder
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 10 2008, 11:14 AM) [snapback]410186[/snapback]
If Joe does indeed retire then he will go down as one of the greatest 168lbs of all time. Seems like a great career to me!

He'll also be known as the guy that kept Bernard Hopkins at middleweight for so long.
anthonyaccurate
correction: he "beat" a 43 y.o. Hopkins.
Roy & Bernard were a combined 82 years in age.

Roy was 3-3 in his last 6 fights with 2 by brutal ko losses.
Bhop was 2-2 preceding the cal fight.

No doubt these facts played a part in his decision to come
To the US.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 10 2008, 12:14 PM) [snapback]410186[/snapback]

He definitely will..I also think he had a good career..Everyone always wants to see the guy about to retire to take on the new young guy on the scene and it's bogus people have to have those fights otherwise the fighter isn't as good as they really are in people opinion..He doesn't need Dawson..
BigG
If Calzgahe wants to retire...good on him if he wants to go out on top..I'd like to see him fight a young fast guy in Dawson but His fans think he is a legend, he is a legend in the UK but he went out against a shot Roy Jones and it's not a "great" win.

And before that, he won a very controversial SD over a 43 year old Bernard Hopkins...a 43 year old Hopkins is very hard to beat clearly. He didn't do any better than Jermain Taylor IMO..

I know I sound like I'm hating but that's the truth...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 10 2008, 03:16 PM) [snapback]410207[/snapback]
If Calzgahe wants to retire...good on him if he wants to go out on top..I'd like to see him fight a young fast guy in Dawson but His fans think he is a legend, he is a legend in the UK but he went out against a shot Roy Jones and it's not a "great" win.

And before that, he won a very controversial SD over a 43 year old Bernard Hopkins...a 43 year old Hopkins is very hard to beat clearly. He didn't do any better than Jermain Taylor IMO..

I think it was better than the Taylor win..Hopkins was a lot better in the Calzaghe fight..I am not a huge fan of Calzaghe but I call it like I see it..The Roy win was nothing for him but the Hopkins win was..Age doesn't matter when it comes to Hopkins..No one can be all over his nuts after the Pavlik win but than be like "oh,but he was too old in the Calzaghe fight though even though he looked better than ever in the Pavlik fight.."Not fair at all..Hopkins may be 43 years old but he is younger in boxing years I think..He is in his mid-later 30s in the ring..
D-MARV
I scored the Calzaghe-Hopkins fight 116-111 for Calzaghe... When I wathced it a second time, I scored 114-113 for Calzaghe, so it was a clear win for Calzaghe in my book! That was a legit win on his resume... so was Lacy and Kessler! He doesn't need Dawson.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 10 2008, 03:16 PM) [snapback]410207[/snapback]

I agree. Calzaghe beat Hopkins in very similar fashion to Taylor. Which is to say, not at all convincingly. The only advantage you could give Joe's performance over JT's was that Joe got stronger as the fight wore on. Taylor built up leads and then faded late. (At least in the first fight. I honestly have no recollection of Taylor-Hopkins 2 except that it sucked).

Kessler was Joe's biggest win IMO. Good young fighter, and he beat him clearly. I'll also agree that as overrated as Lacy was, the manner in which Joe beat him was pretty awesome, and the fact that Lacy has looked like garbage ever since should not be held against him as if that's all Lacy ever was, but should rather be another point in his favor as it's clear he took his soul and scarred his psyche for life.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 10 2008, 05:27 PM) [snapback]410221[/snapback]
I agree. Calzaghe beat Hopkins in very similar fashion to Taylor. Which is to say, not at all convincingly. The only advantage you could give Joe's performance over JT's was that Joe got stronger as the fight wore on. Taylor built up leads and then faded late. (At least in the first fight. I honestly have no recollection of Taylor-Hopkins 2 except that it sucked).

Kessler was Joe's biggest win IMO. Good young fighter, and he beat him clearly. I'll also agree that as overrated as Lacy was, the manner in which Joe beat him was pretty awesome, and the fact that Lacy has looked like garbage ever since should not be held against him as if that's all Lacy ever was, but should rather be another point in his favor as it's clear he took his soul and scarred his psyche for life.

Calzaghe took everything out of Lacy's mind,body,and soul..Lacy was a hell of a lot better before Calzaghe and now he's a journeyman in my opinion..
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 10 2008, 04:27 PM) [snapback]410221[/snapback]
Kessler was Joe's biggest win IMO. Good young fighter, and he beat him clearly. I'll also agree that as overrated as Lacy was, the manner in which Joe beat him was pretty awesome,

Yeah, thats what I think too.

Kessler was a live, prime, opponent. He hadn't been badly KO'd, or lost a few times, or at the end of his carrer....he was at the top of his game and Calzaghe boxed brilliantly against him and beat him pretty easy. It was a superb victory. 3 or 4 more of those type (against live, prime opponents) of wins and yeah, get Calzaghe up there with the best.

For one professional boxer to beat another as easy and as brutal as Calzaghe did against Lacy deserves some credit.....especailly when some people were actually picking Lacy to win.

But, to have the Lacy win as one of your career highs doesn't elevate you to that elite level. Nor does beating at 43 year old Hopkins or an awfully faded Jones.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 10 2008, 06:51 PM) [snapback]410243[/snapback]
I think there are people that should step forward and make an apology to Mikkel Kessler. I remember people not rating him because he lost to Calazghe and made fun of him.

I can remember the talks of Calzaghe isn't the man unless he beats Kessler..It was the SAME EXACT situation as all you guys say about Margarito and Mayweather(not all,but a lot)..Kessler lived up to what he was thought to be too in the fight..He gave Calzaghe his best fight in my opinion..People who don't rank Kessler now are out of their mind..To not rank Lacy after Calzaghe would be more acceptable..
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 10 2008, 05:51 PM) [snapback]410243[/snapback]
I think there are people that should step forward and make an apology to Mikkel Kessler. I remember people not rating him because he lost to Calazghe and made fun of him.

Not me, I think Kessler is a damn good fighter. He definately won me over with his lopsided decision over Andrade, who I thought was going to give Kessler a tough time. I think he gave a good account of himself with Joe, I think he just faded midway through and Joe proved to be the better fighter. That is definately Joe's best quality opponent win. Funny you mention Kessler, he kind of fell off the radar after that fight. I think Kessler should try to get a quality fight in the states right now to get his name out there in the mainstream. It would be shame if he would wait till the end of his career to come to the states and fight a 43 year old and a washed up former great, to then finally try and get some recognition.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(buford54 @ Nov 10 2008, 12:49 PM) [snapback]410165[/snapback]

Well he did learn it from Roy who was notorious for fighting stiff after stiff & guys 100 times more washed up than he was who were shells of their former selves.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 10 2008, 06:51 PM) [snapback]410243[/snapback]

I don't think I ever dismissed Kessler off of that fight. I was disappointed with him, sure, but that's cause I really wanted him to win (and thought that he would).

That was a big time win for Joe, no matter what anyone may say. Kessler was tough, undefeated, went into that fight believing he would win, and actually was winning for the first few rounds before Joe just took it up a couple of notches and beat that belief right out of his heart. I think there may have been some here who were questioning Kessler's mental toughness afterwards because of the way he so blatantly became discouraged and lost hope of winning. Time will tell if that was a legit issue, or whether it was just Calzaghe doing to him what he's done to nearly all his opponents.
King Eugene
At the end of the day Lacy will be considered overrated when he lose to Taylor, Dawson and Johnson will not be considered (claims that they will need to fight each other again by Calzaghe), Kessler will be given more credit for his loss to Calzaghe later in his career, Calzaghe will be considered a great in the UK and be inducted into the hall of fame, and there will be a ton of "if's" in his career.

P.S.
Dawson would be Joe
As a true Roy Jones Jr. fan, I strongly urge him to retire and promote way better cards!
Fitz
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 11 2008, 12:02 PM) [snapback]410256[/snapback]
I don't think I ever dismissed Kessler off of that fight. I was disappointed with him, sure, but that's cause I really wanted him to win (and thought that he would).

That was a big time win for Joe, no matter what anyone may say. Kessler was tough, undefeated, went into that fight believing he would win, and actually was winning for the first few rounds before Joe just took it up a couple of notches and beat that belief right out of his heart. I think there may have been some here who were questioning Kessler's mental toughness afterwards because of the way he so blatantly became discouraged and lost hope of winning. Time will tell if that was a legit issue, or whether it was just Calzaghe doing to him what he's done to nearly all his opponents.

Agreed. I saw the fight like you did. I thought Kessler did well in there, he had some big rounds but fell down the stretch like most of Calzaghe's opponents. I still believe he gave Calzaghe a tougher fight physically then Hopkins did, even though it doesn't reflect on the score cards.
I too remember people questioning Kessler for getting beaten at the end and talking about him as if he was a hype job from Europe(you gotta be hyped in the first place and this guy never was).
BigG
I personally think Calzghe-Hopkins was alot like Taylor cuz there were more rounds than clear rounds in that fight. Calzgahe was put on his ass, Taylor wasn't...The only fight of the 3 (Taylor I, II, Calzgahe) I thought Hopkins didn't win was the Taylor rematch. Taylor actually had a good late round in that fight which he won clearly (Round 11)
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Nov 10 2008, 08:44 PM) [snapback]410255[/snapback]
Well he did learn it from Roy who was notorious for fighting stiff after stiff & guys 100 times more washed up than he was who were shells of their former selves.

What ever happened to your KFC/Star Trek Sig.??
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 11 2008, 04:12 AM) [snapback]410305[/snapback]
What ever happened to your KFC/Star Trek Sig.??

I considered it borderline racist & considering my hate for certain dusky fighters I know some idiot will accuse me of racism so I got rid of it.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Nov 11 2008, 12:37 AM) [snapback]410306[/snapback]
I considered it borderline racist & considering my hate for certain dusky fighters I know some idiot will accuse me of racism so I got rid of it.

Yeah,I suppose..It was funny though..I never thought of it as racist coming from you since I know you're not..It really sucks how things always have to be about race..In boxing for instance,all fighters are individualistic and you can't define a race as a certain type..Nationality would be better to compare guys in my opinion if someone feels the need to have to compare certain types of fighters..I think it is all individualistic though and a guy's mentality will have him rise or fall..It's all about what's going on in these guys heads I think and nothing else..
streetlion1
Calzaghe wants no part of Chad Dawson...just like he wants no part of B-Hop again.

I expect Slappy to destroy another bum in his hometown and then retire.

Going out like PBF an over rated and protected P4P.
King Eugene
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Nov 12 2008, 11:43 PM) [snapback]410740[/snapback]
Going out like PBF an over rated and protected P4P.

Overrated? LOL I dont think so.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 13 2008, 12:55 AM) [snapback]410741[/snapback]
Overrated? LOL I dont think so.

So true..Floyd was the real thing..
BigG
Floyd is the truth...and he was truly born to do this. He is better than Calzgahe HANDS down in terms of skill. But he went out without fighting Margarito and Cotto (although I persoanlly don't think he is done).

Dawson is clearly the #1 or #2 contender at 175 for Calzgahe's crown.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 13 2008, 02:29 AM) [snapback]410750[/snapback]
Floyd is the truth...and he was truly born to do this. He is better than Calzgahe HANDS down in terms of skill. But he went out without fighting Margarito and Cotto (although I persoanlly don't think he is done).

Dawson is clearly the #1 or #2 contender at 175 for Calzgahe's crown.

Not a fan of Floyd's or Joe's, and while I think Floyd is clearly the better p4p boxer, I wouldn't compare Calzaghe retiring and not fighting Dawson (should he do it) to Mayweather retiring and not fighting Margarito or Cotto or Mosley.

Maragrito, Cotto, Mosley -- they'd been around for a while, and had been seen as legitimate challengers of Floyd's for a while, and he spent years in some cases not fighting them, saying at various times, 'They'll get their chance to get some, they just need to make a bigger name for themselves', etc. So when he retired without fighting any of them, it really was disppointing. Dawson on the other hand is the new kid on the block. He falls more into that category of, 'There will always be somebody new out there to challenge you'. Calzaghe also made it pretty clear for a while now that he was only interested at this stage of his career in fighting the older guys and making some dough.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 13 2008, 06:38 PM) [snapback]410829[/snapback]
Calzaghe also made it pretty clear for a while now that he was only interested at this stage of his career in fighting the older guys and making some dough.

As opposed to making it pretty clear for a while that in the earlier stage of his career he was only interested in fighting the shitty guys and making some dough.

Black
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.