Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lacy-Taylor
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Lil-lightsout
I am really looking forward to this fight. This should be an explosive fight that probably will end up in a knockout. Jeff has looked terrible since the Calzaghe fight, Taylor too with his fights with Pavlik. They both have a lot to prove, but I am going with Lacy by early to mid rounds KO. I am sure most will be picking Taylor though.
salvador
Wow, picking Lacy's a pretty bold move. I find it hard to believe that Lacy is going to land much on Taylor who, despite his deterioration, has developed his defensive skills against the best in the world.

I'm going with Taylor by a clear decision. The early rounds might be close, but once Taylor starts boxing, Lacy won't be competitive.

The sad truth is that both guys seem to have lost their desire and I expect both to retire in the relatively near future.
D-MARV
Im taking JT by UD, I respect Lacy's heart enough to sa he will go the distance!

I dont think JT has fallen off much! His last fight with Pavlik was a very close fight in my eyes... JT will be a champion at 168!
JonnyBlaze
I've always wanted to see this fight since there isn't tape of them in the amateurs against each other..Very interesting fight even though I wish it could of been years ago instead of now where they both almost seem on the verge of retirement ALREADY..I hope Lacy decides to lift less/no weights for this fight soo he isn't muscle bound..The more you lift weights,the quicker you're muscles will tire..I myself learned that the hard way..Anyway,I watched both of them come up the ranks from the very bottem(shobox-new generation,boxing after dark,friday night fights) and rise to the top and have a major down fall..It really sucks since whether ya like them or not,they put on very entertaining fights before they reached the top..

This new wave of fighters seem to get to the top,sit there for not too long,then when they get in their early 30's retirement is talked about..Someone mention Hatton is on the verge of retirement and he's only 30 and now Lacy and Taylor both could be leaving the sport soon..Lacy in my opinion a lot sooner..These guys all had really good amateur careers but now,short pro careers..I don't know what's goin on..I guess the guys who are leaving boxing now are good with 40-60 fights and this new crop is lookin at 20-35 fights if all these guys do decide to retire soon(which is what it looks like)..I say Taylor by UD or maybe even TKO since Lacy is so easy to swell up and cut..Taylor has fought the best at middleweight and I think the experience will help him get the W against Lacy..
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 9 2008, 09:21 PM) [snapback]410071[/snapback]
Funny that a few years ago these guys were top undefeated prospects. Now they are fighting each other which is basically a fight with both careers on the line.

Yeah, it's a little like the first Mosley-Vargas fight in that way, where the loser will be at rock bottom and the winner will be right back in the mix with a new marquee notch on his resume.

I think this is an easy call. I've got JT all day. He looked pretty good his last time out in the Pavlik rematch, and I feel he has another run in him. While he was KO'd in his loss, it wasn't really a bad showing at all. He came within a short and curly of scoring a KO 2, which would have likely been seen as the greatest performance of his career. Funny how things work out.

Meanwhile, Lacy's career is in tatters. Calzaghe took his guts out and stomped them into blood pudding. His fists were the bangers that turned Lacy's soul to mash. He obliterated his heart and turned him into a wounded puppy terrified of his own shadow.

Seriously, Taylor - no matter what anyone's personal opinion of the outcomes were - has two wins over Bernard Hopkins and a draw with Winky Wright. Lacy's best win is...Omar Shieka? It's not even close. Taylor was the better fighter, and he's the one who IMO still has something left.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 10 2008, 12:24 AM) [snapback]410111[/snapback]
Yeah, it's a little like the first Mosley-Vargas fight in that way, where the loser will be at rock bottom and the winner will be right back in the mix with a new marquee notch on his resume.

I think this is an easy call. I've got JT all day. He looked pretty good his last time out in the Pavlik rematch, and I feel he has another run in him. While he was KO'd in his loss, it wasn't really a bad showing at all. He came within a short and curly of scoring a KO 2, which would have likely been seen as the greatest performance of his career. Funny how things work out.

Meanwhile, Lacy's career is in tatters. Calzaghe took his guts out and stomped them into blood pudding. His fists were the bangers that turned Lacy's soul to mash. He obliterated his heart and turned him into a wounded puppy terrified of his own shadow.

Seriously, Taylor - no matter what anyone's personal opinion of the outcomes were - has two wins over Bernard Hopkins and a draw with Winky Wright. Lacy's best win is...Omar Shieka? It's not even close. Taylor was the better fighter, and he's the one who IMO still has something left.

Calzaghe did destroy Lacy's whole future of his career..Now that Calzaghe is gone,I bet Lacy is wishing he turned pro later than he did cause he'd be the top dog in the division now had it not been for Calzaghe..Kessler would of been a good fight for him pre-Calzaghe..It's real crazy how one baddd beating can completely take everything out of you and make you a different person in the ring..Lacy only relies on his power now which is real bad for him..He always did rely on it,but he is the old Tyson now in my opinion..Can't win when it really matters and keeps looking for the 1 punch to end it instead of setting it up like Taylor will be..
Lil-lightsout
Just like I thought, everybody picking JT. He has definately looked better than Jeff overall, but Jermaine was hurt by Hopkins, and KO'd by Pavlik. And everyone knows JT was usually fighting smaller fighters his whole career. He is now going to face the biggest puncher he has ever faced(yes, bigger than Pavlik), at some point Lacy will connect and Taylor ain't getting up. Jeff has shown a decent chin and mental toughness in there, and he is used to facing super middleweights, where JT is not. I definately think JT has the tools to outbox Lacy for a little, but eventually he is going to get hit with one of those bombs. But I will also say JT can crack too, so there maybe is a chance of him getting a KO at some point. I just think everybody is forgetting about JT chin, and that is why I am picking Jeff Lacy by brutal KO.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Nov 10 2008, 12:43 AM) [snapback]410120[/snapback]
Just like I thought, everybody picking JT. He has definately looked better than Jeff overall, but Jermaine was hurt by Hopkins, and KO'd by Pavlik. And everyone knows JT was usually fighting smaller fighters his whole career. He is now going to face the biggest puncher he has ever faced(yes, bigger than Pavlik), at some point Lacy will connect and Taylor ain't getting up. Jeff has shown a decent chin and mental toughness in there, and he is used to facing super middleweights, where JT is not. I definately think JT has the tools to outbox Lacy for a little, but eventually he is going to get hit with one of those bombs. But I will also say JT can crack too, so there maybe is a chance of him getting a KO at some point. I just think everybody is forgetting about JT chin, and that is why I am picking Jeff Lacy by brutal KO.

I think you are forgetting that they know each other pretty well from the amateurs..They fought more than once before..Being hurt by Hopkins is something just about everyone who Hopkins fought experienced as well..
Blayde
Taylor seems to be pretty hittable for Lacys straight right hand, so I think the possibility of Lacy catching him with a really good shot that hurts Taylor exists and Im picking Lacy by stoppage. Actually I thought he looked pretty good against Mendoza. Problem was he only looked good the first rounds before getting caught and/or getting tired.

But dont get me wrong, although Im picking Lacy Id still regard it as an upset and Taylor obviously is the favorite. And he also said hes preparing for that right hand that obviously is Left Hooks best weapon.
prettyboygerard
Lot of peope picking taylor which whould seem like the smart choice after lacy has had the shoulder surgery and all that happened with joe C. But honestly if Lacy touches the body of taylor its gonna be over i watched both these guys since the olympics in 2000 and i dont think taylor will pull it off . aggressive.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I'll go with Taylor simply because he's fought the much higher level in the pro's.

I don't think it really mattered what happened in the amateurs. After all Tyson fought (and lost) to guys in the amateurs that didn't stand a shit show in hell against him as a pro.

But having faced Nard twice, Pavlik twice and Winky has got to stand you in good stead for Jeff Lacy.

As for Lacy he just seems shot. Looks like a mental hurdle to me although I'd agree with Johnny he does look awfully muscle bound. I also wonder Johnny about the shorther pro careers these guys are having.

Does the large amounts of money these guys can earn for acheiving relatively little have something to do with it? Does that quell the fire in a lot of guys earlier?

I know the term 'old school' is overused these days but I'd also speculate that young guys these days simply aren't schooled the way they used to be. So many young fighters are trying to be 'TV friendly' rather than learning decent defensive skills and slick moves that can elongate a fighters career. I find it staggering that a guy like Taylor says he doesn't even watch much boxing in his spare time or isn't that knowledgable about boxing history.

All guys wanna do now is look spectacular, gain some prominance, punch the ticket on some pay-per-views and then they're out. Just a thought.

Oh well I hope this fight is exciting but I don't think it will be, and I hope Jeff Lacy doesn't get too badly hurt but I suspect he will be.

ROLL DEEP
Gotta go with Taylor.

Never really thought too much of Lacy. Calzaghe beat out any hope of a career he had and Taylor, after sharing the ring with Hopkins, Pavlik and Wright, has a ton of more experience at top level.

Taylor by a WIDE points win.

Lacy will settle into a really negative, plodding forward not doing much routine from the 4th round onwards and Taylor will pick him apart.
Blayde
In my opinion people often tend to forget how Lacy got caught and stunned by the likes of Vanderpool and Sheika or how his fight against Donnell Wiggins was pretty even until he stopped him. Against Mendoza for me there wasnt a shot fighter in the ring. Just a guy whos always had strengths and weaknesses that make him dangerous for pretty much anybody, but that also can be exposed by lower level opposition.

Actually I even thought he finally looked good, fresh and fast again after he had really struggled against Tsypko and Manfredo and his arm seemed to be like shit. But then he either got tired because he got hurt or he got hurt and got tired either way. I dont know about his conditioning, the muscle mass was always there, maybe he wanted to look too impressive against Mendoza, but he got always get hurt like that against a guy like Mendoza, also pre-Calzaghe.
King Eugene
I think JT pulls it off and then makes a strong run at Super Middleweight and then ends up getting stopped again by another up and comer but this time retires.
thefloatingmonkey
I'm thinking JT has this one...by KO.

I would like to see JT fight Kessler after this.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Blayde @ Nov 10 2008, 12:43 AM) [snapback]410145[/snapback]
And he also said hes preparing for that right hand that obviously is Left Hooks best weapon.

LMAO...how ironic!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.