Full Version: Roy Jones Vs Chris Byrd
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
This is a sad thread cray.gif
JD
Who wins?

Whoever doesn't watch.
JonnyBlaze
Hmmmm..Very tough..I might go with Byrd though..
BigG
I think Jones would give Byrd a beating..
Fitz
More like "who cares?".
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(JD @ Nov 11 2008, 03:44 AM) [snapback]410295[/snapback]
Who wins?

Whoever doesn't watch.

Agreed. My eyes bleed at the thought.
Blayde
Yeah Jones would win. But I dont need to see it ...
JonnyBlaze
What about Jones/Byrd at heavyweight during the time Jones was up there??
King Eugene
Damn lets not talk about Jones and fighting right now. I cant take it.
Both should respectively retire from boxing before it officially retires them.
I wouldnt want to watch it but as a Jones Fan I would and of course I'd pick Jones.

At Heavyweight I'd still pick Jones but lets just close this thread. cray.gif
Big Slim Sweet
I think this would have been a great matchup in 2003 right after Roy beat Ruiz. Now, not so much.
ROLL DEEP
What a sad, sad fight cray.gif

I can't think of a sadder match up between two past it, faded, old looking ex champs.
Spyder
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Nov 11 2008, 01:02 PM) [snapback]410391[/snapback]
What a sad, sad fight cray.gif
I can't think of a sadder match up between two past it, faded, old looking ex champs.

Ali-Frazier IV
Blayde
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 11 2008, 07:15 AM) [snapback]410330[/snapback]
What about Jones/Byrd at heavyweight during the time Jones was up there??

Id pick any version of Roy against any version of Byrd. Seems like a good style matchup to me.
Method
Nice. A "Loser Leave Town" match-up.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 11 2008, 02:43 PM) [snapback]410399[/snapback]
Nice. A "Loser Leave Town" match-up.

How about a "Loser and Winner" leave town match up?
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 11 2008, 04:59 PM) [snapback]410403[/snapback]
How about a "Loser and Winner" leave town match up?

Or a 'Loser, Winner and everyone who watched it leave town match up'?
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 11 2008, 11:34 AM) [snapback]410385[/snapback]
I think this would have been a great matchup in 2003 right after Roy beat Ruiz. Now, not so much.

I think 2003 would have been a little late... I mean in 2003 Byrd was on the decline struggling with Golota and Oquendo, and Jones just had a great showing against Ruiz. Any point from then on I'd take Jones over Byrd... then again I'd take Jones over him before that because you'd be talking a prime Jones who really was unbeaten.

King Eugene
Ok, is it time to close this thread yet? Its depressing to see people mention Roy at such a low level. cray.gif
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Spyder @ Nov 11 2008, 01:16 PM) [snapback]410393[/snapback]
Ali-Frazier IV

Thats just plain sick,lol!!! how bout Marciano/Louis II...
Spyder
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Nov 12 2008, 01:38 AM) [snapback]410510[/snapback]
Thats just plain sick,lol!!! how bout Marciano/Louis II...

The battle of souls!

I wonder if Rocky's soul can take as good a punch...
rusty_trombone
I bet Byrd's wife would kick both their asses now.
Byrd Man
Prime Byrd vs. Prime Roy?

Might be good. Byrd was a slick sumbitch back in the day.

And he was big enough that Roy's punches wouldn't have had a big effect on him. Mighta been a decent fight. Then again it could have been unwatchable because neither one would be able to land big punches as they both were very good at not getting hit.
Byrd Man
Fitz
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Nov 16 2008, 09:44 AM) [snapback]411150[/snapback]
as they both were very good at not getting hit.

Byrd Man
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 15 2008, 07:22 PM) [snapback]411182[/snapback]

For a long time there with the Ike fight withstanding, and prior to fighting Wlad, he fought a lot of people and made them look foolish trying to knock him out.

And with the exception of Povetkin, and then George in the last fight, everyone who he lost to were massively bigger than he was.

So you can pick out all the shots you want from the Ike fight or the Wlad fights, but facts are facts. In Byrd's prime he was not an easy man to hit.
Fitz
I was only fucking around. Wasn't expecting a serious response.
D-MARV
In their Primes, Jones would take a competitive decision
Byrd Man
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 15 2008, 07:51 PM) [snapback]411193[/snapback]
I was only fucking around. Wasn't expecting a serious response.

drinks.gif
Byrd Man
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 15 2008, 08:05 PM) [snapback]411197[/snapback]

Quite possibly. I think it would be an interesting fight, no doubt.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 15 2008, 09:05 PM) [snapback]411197[/snapback]

I don't know about that..I don't know if I missed it but what weight would they be fighting at??Byrd's glove defense was better but Roy was more elusive..Tough call on who's harder to hit..Byrd was very elusive too..Roy was not good with his glove defense..I think I'd give the all around better defense to Byrd..

If ya say the fight might be unwatchable,I disgree..There'd be A LOT of pure skill in the ring and I'd wanna see how it meshed together and whether it was "boring" or not to most people I know I'd still like the fight a lot..I like Klitchko/Ibragimov and I liked basically all of Byrd's fights..I like Winky and Spinks too..I also liked B-Hop when everyone said he was extremely boring..Skill like those guys had is something that casual fans don't see or don't respect..I think what all those guys did was amazing..
Byrd Man
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 16 2008, 06:54 PM) [snapback]411339[/snapback]
I don't know about that..I don't know if I missed it but what weight would they be fighting at??Byrd's glove defense was better but Roy was more elusive..Tough call on who's harder to hit..Byrd was very elusive too..Roy was not good with his glove defense..I think I'd give the all around better defense to Byrd..

If ya say the fight might be unwatchable,I disgree..There'd be A LOT of pure skill in the ring and I'd wanna see how it meshed together and whether it was "boring" or not to most people I know I'd still like the fight a lot..I like Klitchko/Ibragimov and I liked basically all of Byrd's fights..I like Winky and Spinks too..I also liked B-Hop when everyone said he was extremely boring..Skill like those guys had is something that casual fans don't see or don't respect..I think what all those guys did was amazing..

Oh I would enjoy it immensely. Just a lot of people don't seem to want to watch anything if it's not bloody and a hundred punches a round.
D-MARV
I enjoyed watching Byrd in his prime... He showed some great skills.

I got alot of hate for putting up the Cory Spinks thread... but to be honest I think that dude has skills. I thought the Jermain Taylor fight was a thing of beauty... It wasn't an all out war but Spinks made Taylor look foolish at times

Anyways, back on topic, I think Roy would have been the quicker of the 2 thus winning a competitive decison. 116-112
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Nov 16 2008, 08:28 PM) [snapback]411348[/snapback]
Oh I would enjoy it immensely. Just a lot of people don't seem to want to watch anything if it's not bloody and a hundred punches a round.

That really sucks cause they are missing out on the true skills in boxing..
The Original MrFactor
I'd pick Byrd to beat Jones prime vs prime. Jones has had some trouble with guys that have fast hands. Jones has trouble with guys that are southpaws. Jones has trouble with guys that have a height and reach advantage. Byrd posseses almost all of the above.

Who knows... If this mathcup happened 5 or 6 years ago, Byrd might have been the 1st person to stop Roy Jones jr.
D-MARV
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Nov 17 2008, 01:47 AM) [snapback]411404[/snapback]
Who knows... If this mathcup happened 5 or 6 years ago, Byrd might have been the 1st person to stop Roy Jones jr.

LOL laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif ... Good One!

I dont mind you picking Byrd but "stopping" was not in Bryd's vocab!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.