Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HOPKINS: JONES SHOULD RETIRE
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Method
HOPKINS: JONES SHOULD RETIRE

By: Ian Axon

Bernard Hopkins was sitting ringside for the match between Joe Calzaghe and Roy Jones, Jr. at Madison Square Garden this past Saturday night. And when he looked at Jones before the fight started he saw a look on Jones' face that he could not figure out.

"I've never seen Roy look like that. He just didn't look healthy," Hopkins said. "I don't know if he wasn't feeling good, but he didn't look good. Physically he looked old. He face was shrunken. It looked like that against Trinidad. He just didn't look strong."

Twelve rounds later Jones looked worst than he ever has following a fight - even after he got knocked out cold by Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson. A bloody gash was over Jones' left eye and he didn't look anything like a man who once ruled the light heavyweight division for a decade and was once considered No. 1 pound-for-pound in boxing.

Jones had beaten Hopkins as a middleweight 15 years ago - a decision that hangs over Hopkins career to this day. Hopkins was sitting at ringside hoping that Jones would somehow be able to turn back the clock the way that Hopkins had three weeks ago when he battered Kelly Pavlik. Hoping that an upset victory by Jones would rekindle that interest from boxing fans for a rematch.

You can forget about that.

"I don't want to fight Roy, not after (Saturday) night," Hopkins said. "What's the point?"

The way that Calzaghe beat Jones demonstrated that the 39-year-old Jones can't really hang with anyone in the upper levels of the sport. His legs are gone and he doesn't have the speed and reflexes that he once used to compensate for the fact that he wasn't a technically sound boxer.

"The things that he was able to do because he was Superman he can't do them anymore,"Hopkins said.

"And those were the things that awed us with him - the fact that he didn't throw a jab and follow it and that he could throw that lead right from across the ring and land because he had such good reflexes -are the things that he can't do any more.

"Because he could do that and get away with it he never learned the basics. And when you get older and your legs go and you're not as fast as you once were that's what you go back to is the basics. He can't go back to it because he never learned the basics."

At first Hopkins did not want to say that Jones should retire: "I can't say it's over. That&'s up to Roy."

But after we had talked for a while and Hopkins talked about walking into Jones'dressing room after the fight and seeing Jones' son sobbing and seeing how dejected Jones was, he said it's time for Jones to call it quits.

"I just hope Roy doesn't hustle his name and let them pimp him out. This is a cruel business," Hopkins said. "I think Roy should just roll out. I don't think he has the physical and mental ability to fight at any weight class - middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight, heavyweight. I think it's a wrap."

Hopkins, 43, isn't thinking about hanging them up. His victory over Pavlik gave him new life and vibrancy in the game. Of course he was pushing for a rematch against Calzaghe. He lost a split decision to Calzaghe back in April. The split decision is enough for Hopkins to push the issue of the rematch.

"Joe has used all kinds of excuses for our fight, saying he wasn't at his best," Hopkins said. "Well let's see what he do to me if he's at his best. Let's see if he can beat me the way that he beat Roy."

Hopkins said he is not going to chase down Calzaghe the way that Jones did.

I've never showed up at anybody's press conference after a fight to ask them to fight me and I'm not going to start," he said.

"I don't need anything that bad. I heard Roy was sending him text messages, trying to get the fight. That was really out of character for Roy right there."

It was also uncharacteristic for Jones to take a beating like he did. But the old Roy Jones is gone. Now all we had is an old Roy Jones. And he is a shadow of the former boxer.
getup
Apparently Hopkins told the proud Jones, who was obviously upset over his performance that Roy had nothing to prove. It will be interesting to see if HBO caught footage and if it will ever be showed.

Despite the obvious rivalry, I think these two have mad respect for each other. As Hopkins put it "He was the Michael Jordan and I was the Magic Johnson of our generation".
STEVENSKI
Hopkins should fight RJJ. I would like to see him give a cruel & methodical beating to Roy leaving no part of his upper body unbruised.
BigG
Calslappy doesn't do rematches. He only gives rematches to guys he KO'd in 1 round..ie Mario Veit.

Jones looked very slow it was really sad to watch. I cant believe this slapping duchebag has Jones name on his resume.

It makes me WEEP for our sport that our so called P4P king is Calzgahe
King Eugene
WHOA this is some exclusive news. Everyone knows and agrees Jones should retire. EVEN ME!!! Hopkins make valid points but he just uses this as a moment to take shots at Jones. I guess this is the only way he can get over being beating by Jones. Either way it goes neither one of them cant say shit cause Calzaghe whooped both of them.
STEVENSKI
I agree 100% with what Joe said about Hopkins.

Hopkins held & held in that fight

Hopkins feigned low blows to push for a DQ

Hopkins is a racist with the ridiculous comments he made.

This is not to say he is not a legend of the ring but Joe is spot on with those comments.
King Eugene
Roy should continue to promote and possibly become a trainer. I think he may make a good trainer, he'd just have to slow down his speech in the corner. LOL
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Nov 11 2008, 08:57 PM) [snapback]410427[/snapback]
I agree 100% with what Joe said about Hopkins.

Hopkins held & held in that fight

Hopkins feigned low blows to push for a DQ

This is not to say he is not a legend of the ring but Joe is spot on with those comments.

Yeah Hopkins can be a real scumbag. He probably is more scumbag than good guy but I don't know him so I can't say. However, it was smart of him to hold Calzaghe like he did. What else could he do? cover up on the ropes and get cut by slaps like Jones? Hopkins almost beat Calzaghe at 43! That says a lot about him.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 11 2008, 09:23 PM) [snapback]410438[/snapback]
Yeah Hopkins can be a real scumbag. He probably is more scumbag than good guy but I don't know him so I can't say. However, it was smart of him to hold Calzaghe like he did. What else could he do? cover up on the ropes and get cut by slaps like Jones? Hopkins almost beat Calzaghe at 43! That says a lot about him.

Yea, Jones should have held more. But at the end of the day, say what you want to say but Jones still holds a victory over Hopkins. He can talk all he wants but he knows it still bothers him.
D-MARV
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Nov 11 2008, 08:57 PM) [snapback]410427[/snapback]

He is not a racist, he was selling the fight!!!!
D-MARV
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 11 2008, 09:23 PM) [snapback]410438[/snapback]
He probably is more scumbag than good guy but I don't know him so I can't say.

He's not a scumbag either... He can play the role!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 11 2008, 09:41 PM) [snapback]410450[/snapback]
He's not a scumbag either... He can play the role!

Like I said, I don't know him.

D-MARV
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 11 2008, 09:44 PM) [snapback]410452[/snapback]
Like I said, I don't know him.

Fair enough!
PR316
First off Hopkins is not a racist. I don't think it takes an educated person to know that.

2nd of all, I gotta agree. Roy should definitely hang em up. I think he should do a farewell fight of sorts against maybe Antonio Tarver who looked even worse than he did or some noboby and go out on a good win. He deserves it for how much he gave to the sport.

Calzaghe now, if he isn't gonna give Hopkins a rematch then I guess his best bet is to retire. I mean he said that Dawson was a waste of time. So if its neither of Hopkins or Dawson, then he should just ride off because no other fights make sense for him to take.

B-Hop should target one of Calzaghe or Dawson and win, lose, or draw against either, call it a day. There's not much left. I know B-Hop talked about maybe trying for a heavyweight belt in the past but with the state of the division the way it is now, I think there's no point.
D-MARV
QUOTE(PR316 @ Nov 11 2008, 09:51 PM) [snapback]410455[/snapback]
First off Hopkins is not a racist. I don't think it takes an educated person to know that.
2nd of all, I gotta agree. Roy should definitely hang em up. I think he should do a farewell fight of sorts against maybe Antonio Tarver who looked even worse than he did or some noboby and go out on a good win. He deserves it for how much he gave to the sport.
Calzaghe now, if he isn't gonna give Hopkins a rematch then I guess his best bet is to retire. I mean he said that Dawson was a waste of time. So if its neither of Hopkins or Dawson, then he should just ride off because no other fights make sense for him to take.
B-Hop should target one of Calzaghe or Dawson and win, lose, or draw against either, call it a day. There's not much left. I know B-Hop talked about maybe trying for a heavyweight belt in the past but with the state of the division the way it is now, I think there's no point.

Im glad you don't think Hopkins is a racist! To call him a racist just shows plain ignorance!

When did Calzaghe say that Dawson was a waste of time?
King Eugene
QUOTE(PR316 @ Nov 11 2008, 09:51 PM) [snapback]410455[/snapback]

Yea.......ummmmmmmmmmm.........I'd rather not see him fight again let along fight Tarver again. He said on boxingscene.com that it wasn't over for him and he will fight again. Lets please start a petition to ban him. I do not want to see my favorite fighter take any more punishment.
EAlbian
I've always wanted to see Hopkins-Toney, I think it could be an interesting fight right now for both
BigG
3King, I dont think Hopkins was taking shots at RJJ. He was being real...Jones is old and Hopkins beating Jones would mean nothing at this point. Hopkins really respects Jones.
King Eugene
QUOTE(EAlbian @ Nov 11 2008, 11:48 PM) [snapback]410489[/snapback]
I've always wanted to see Hopkins-Toney, I think it could be an interesting fight right now for both

That would have been a great fight. I think BHop would have edged him though. I just cant get over the fact Toney lost to Griffin twice.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(PR316 @ Nov 12 2008, 02:51 AM) [snapback]410455[/snapback]

Where is your proof he is not a racist bigot. He has made multiple racist remarks.

QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 12 2008, 02:58 AM) [snapback]410457[/snapback]
Im glad you don't think Hopkins is a racist! To call him a racist just shows plain ignorance!

Why? Because he has made multiple comments in the press that would lead you to believe he is a bigot?

I would love to see Joe C say I will never lose to a black man & see what the comments would be. I have a feeling that it would all be negative about him being racist.
Spyder
I don't think Hopkins is racist...I just think that he's institutionalized.

caneman
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 11 2008, 10:12 PM) [snapback]410461[/snapback]
Yea.......ummmmmmmmmmm.........I'd rather not see him fight again let along fight Tarver again. He said on boxingscene.com that it wasn't over for him and he will fight again. Lets please start a petition to ban him. I do not want to see my favorite fighter take any more punishment.

Roy's little wins against weak comp gave his fans such false hope that he was back. the fact is, that speed & his reflexes are gone now & for the most part, that's all Roy ever really had! I love boxing so I won't say anything else other then Glenn Coffee Johnson needs a money fight Roy, go get ya some if you really feel froggy laugh.gif
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Nov 12 2008, 01:07 AM) [snapback]410496[/snapback]
I would love to see Joe C say I will never lose to a black man & see what the comments would be. I have a feeling that it would all be negative about him being racist.

There is a clear double standard here and in this case there should be. Maybe in Australia this isn't the case but in the U.S. where Hopkins was born and raised him saying what he said and Calzaghe saying this would not be perceived as the same thing at all. And with that being said I doubt too many black people would care if Calzaghe said that.

Hopkins was not being racist by saying it. He was just trying to sell the fight. Now, if you want to say he was an idiot for thinking that was an appropriate way to sell the fight, go right ahead. I think you'd have a better argument there.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(EAlbian @ Nov 12 2008, 12:48 AM) [snapback]410489[/snapback]

Obviously the fight wouldn't mean nearly as much as it would have at any other time over the last 15 years, but otherwise I agree. This is still a fight I would love to see and if Hop has trouble finding other big names to step in the ring with him (as appears to be the case now) I would love for this fight to get made.

Trouble is, what weight would they fight at? It would have to be at heavyweight. I don't think Toney can get down to cruiser again.

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 12 2008, 11:14 AM) [snapback]410552[/snapback]
Obviously the fight wouldn't mean nearly as much as it would have at any other time over the last 15 years, but otherwise I agree. This is still a fight I would love to see and if Hop has trouble finding other big names to step in the ring with him (as appears to be the case now) I would love for this fight to get made.

Trouble is, what weight would they fight at? It would have to be at heavyweight. I don't think Toney can get down to cruiser again.

IMO Hopkins would never been able to beat Toney at any stage. A fight at heavyweight would not be fair for Bernard right now, I just do not see how he could comfortably put on more weight. Maybe I am wrong though. I really wish this fight would have been made a long time ago. I have no interest seeing this fight at heavyweight, but if Toney would make Cruiserweight, I would love to see it. But we all know Toney is not ever going to see anything under 220lbs again.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 12 2008, 11:09 AM) [snapback]410551[/snapback]
There is a clear double standard here and in this case there should be. Maybe in Australia this isn't the case but in the U.S. where Hopkins was born and raised him saying what he said and Calzaghe saying this would not be perceived as the same thing at all. And with that being said I doubt too many black people would care if Calzaghe said that.

Hopkins was not being racist by saying it. He was just trying to sell the fight. Now, if you want to say he was an idiot for thinking that was an appropriate way to sell the fight, go right ahead. I think you'd have a better argument there.

If people got extremely riled up over Don Imus and his comments then you can bet black people would have been furious at Calzaghe.
caneman
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 12 2008, 12:51 PM) [snapback]410572[/snapback]
If people got extremely riled up over Don Imus and his comments then you can bet black people would have been furious at Calzaghe.

yep & they was nappy! cool.gif
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 12 2008, 01:51 PM) [snapback]410572[/snapback]

Don Imus was making fun of the way black people look, which touches on more traditional racism.

I shouldn't have said black people wouldn't get upset. After all, plenty of white people got upset with Hopkins. I don't think the response would be that much different however, at least within the boxing community, which is what Stevenski was saying.
Method
He want making fun of the way black people look. He said "nappy ho". He didn't say "BLACK nappy ho".

"Nappy" is NOT a derogatory word to describe race.

Ignorant motherfuckers look for any reason they can to pull a race card.

Get over it.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(caneman @ Nov 12 2008, 07:45 AM) [snapback]410537[/snapback]
I love boxing so I won't say anything else other then Glenn Coffee Johnson needs a money fight Roy, go get ya some if you really feel froggy laugh.gif

Very bad move for Roy, IMO...
D-MARV
VERY BAD moe for Roy... Damn near suicide! Roy would get put to sleep yet again.
caneman
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Nov 12 2008, 02:42 PM) [snapback]410584[/snapback]
Very bad move for Roy, IMO...

me knowz, that's why i was calling for it! lmao! drag.gif

BTW & I ain't saying nothing!
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 12 2008, 01:35 PM) [snapback]410581[/snapback]
He want making fun of the way black people look. He said "nappy ho". He didn't say "BLACK nappy ho".

Get over it.

The "nappy" part of Don Imus' quote wasn't the issue...
caneman
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Nov 12 2008, 03:02 PM) [snapback]410593[/snapback]
The "nappy" part of Don Imus' quote wasn't the issue...

so it was the hoes thing?
Spyder
There was a girl in my fourth grade class that a couple of kids used to call nappy...I think the line was, "Damn girl, you got some critter naps on yo head!"

We were ahead of our time.
Mean Mister Mustard
I should have never adressed the race issue.
Spyder
Trouble maker.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Spyder @ Nov 12 2008, 04:39 PM) [snapback]410608[/snapback]
Trouble maker.

What would your alter ego say? "Step off my clit!"
Spyder
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 12 2008, 04:43 PM) [snapback]410613[/snapback]
What would your alter ego say? "Step off my clit!"

No, no, no..."Ease up off my clit!" laugh.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Spyder @ Nov 12 2008, 04:49 PM) [snapback]410619[/snapback]
No, no, no..."Ease up off my clit!" laugh.gif

We have to find a new nest soon, that stuff made my day.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 12 2008, 03:35 PM) [snapback]410581[/snapback]

Get over it.

Are you telling me to get over it? Or the race baiting media as a whole? Cause I wasn't pulling any race cards here. If you trace the thread back a few posts you'll see that.

Now, as for Imus, it doesn't really matter whether he used the word BLACK or not. In these instances often what a guy actually says gets tossed to the curb. His words were interpreted to be making fun of black people, which is where all the bullshit started from. But if you're saying what I think you are, then I agree with you that when a guy calls someone nappy and gets accused of making fun of black people for it, it's the ones making that accusation who've jumped to that conclusion based on racial stereotypes, and thus, the ignorant motherfuckers.
caneman
well, I am a cracker ass cracker from Philly & I think all good people rule! friends.gif
EAlbian
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 12 2008, 12:14 PM) [snapback]410552[/snapback]

Why not at heavy?? Hopkins has talked about going to heavy in the past and he's a defensive fighter so movement is his fight. Hopkins wouldn't ko Toney anyways. Toney on the other hand is less mobile and has been hit in his last couple of fghts. Toneys the bigger punch but i doubt he stops B Hop either. I think its worth good money for both and is a great close to two great careers. Toney would need to come in around 225 and Hopkins at 190 at the most.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(caneman @ Nov 12 2008, 02:10 PM) [snapback]410595[/snapback]
so it was the hoes thing?

Bingo...
streetlion1
Jones should retire...no doubt about it. I could see him fighting again if the fight was close but it was a total blowout!

Hopkins isnt going to get a fight with Calzaghe cause Cal doesnt want any real competition! Their first fight was really close(I thought B-Hop won 115-113) and he knows Hop would only be better and more motivated the 2nd time around.

That being said...Jones should retire....Hopkins might as well retire since Cal wont fight him....Calzaghe should pull a PBF and retire cuz he isnt going to fight any real threat.

My vote would be Hopkins-Dawson.......Hopkins by U.D.
rusty_trombone
I agree with Hopkins, I don't think he was taking a shot at Roy, he was actually kind of being compassionate. I think Roy should retire, but it's up to him.

If there is a nappy ho on this board, it has to be Bam.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 12 2008, 04:09 PM) [snapback]410551[/snapback]
There is a clear double standard here and in this case there should be. Maybe in Australia this isn't the case but in the U.S. where Hopkins was born and raised him saying what he said and Calzaghe saying this would not be perceived as the same thing at all.

That is bullshit thinking that there should be a double standard. See this is the problem when people want equality & fairness but then they create a double standard & actually approve of "reverse racism". Slavery ended over 100 years ago so people should get over it & move on with their lives.

See the whole perception thing is crap racism is racism or is being racist against a black man somehow worse than being racist against a Latino or Asian or East European.
STEVENSKI
Roy should keep fighting but man up & step back into the heavyweights & fight huge punchers. That is what we all want to see.
caneman
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Nov 12 2008, 07:45 PM) [snapback]410648[/snapback]
Roy should keep fighting but man up & step back into the heavyweights & fight huge punchers. That is what we all want to see.

nah, just glen coffee johnson like i said when that calslappy is scared of roy thread came out! any top level guy with any power should take roy out these days though.
Method
Are you telling me to get over it? Or the race baiting media as a whole?

Not you directly, just in general. I mean, Joe crying that Bernard's a racist and using THAT as an excuse not to put a presumably WORSE ass whupin on him for a better payday than he got to beat Roy? Please. Fuck, any REAL fighter would use that as a reason to put a whupin on a guy. Joe usin it as a wack reason not to take on the challenge.

I mean, could you imagine Joe Frazier using Ali's "Uncle Tom" comments as a reason not to fight Ali again? Jesus Christ. Joe took it as an opportunity to get that fucker back in the ring.

On another note, Hopkins wasn't taking shots at Roy. I think at least some of you know this, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people do, but Bernard and Roy are FRIENDS. It goes beyond having mad respect. These two guys, AWAY from boxing, and ESPECIALLY away from the topic of boxing each other, are friends. Bernard's been to Roy's celeb B-Day parties, and these guys have played charity ball together and what not. NOW, when it comes to boxing, these guys are competitors, and all that shit in the past, Bernard gettin in Roy's faxce IN THE RING after a fight, and the mouthing of to each other, that shit is real in the realm of boxing, but these guys are cool with each other and do respect each other.

Proof positive is the fact that Roy Jones even let Hopkins in the fucking dressing room after the fight. If these guys weren't cool, Roy woulda put the kaibash on Hopkins coming back there the second someone said, "Excuse me, Roy, I don't mean to interrupt your sobbin, but Bernard is as the door and wants to come in".

This is a case of Hops calling it like he sees it and the media runnin with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.