Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 10 best fighters of the era?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
BigG
Who are the best fighters of the era in your opinion? Say..of the last 15, 16 years? After Tyson's reign...

Bernard Hopkins
Pernell Whitaker
Roy Jones Jr.
Erik Morales
Marco Antonio Barrera
Floyd Mayweather Jr
Evander Holyfield
Joe Calzgahe
Manny Pacquiao
Lennox Lewis

Honorable Mentions to: Shane Mosley, Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad, Ricardo Lopez, Juan Manuel Marquez,Winky Wright
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 12 2008, 08:58 AM) [snapback]410540[/snapback]
Who are the best fighters of the era in your opinion? Say..of the last 15, 16 years? After Tyson's reign...

Bernard Hopkins
Pernell Whitaker
Roy Jones Jr.
Erik Morales
Marco Antonio Barrera
Floyd Mayweather Jr
Evander Holyfield
Joe Calzgahe
Manny Pacquiao
Lennox Lewis

Honorable Mentions to: Shane Mosley, Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad, Ricardo Lopez, Juan Manuel Marquez,Winky Wright

Thats a strong list BigG!

BUt because of their impact in the sport, Trinidad and De La Hoya has to be in the top 10! I dont know what 2 I would remove though. This is a tough one
Spyder
That is a tough list...

Some others to be considered:
James Toney
Kostya Tszyu
Tim Austin
Too Sharp?
BigG
I think all of those should be on the honorable mentions list....if your gonna mention Too Sharp and Austin, I think you'll have to mention Rafa Marquez too.
caneman
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 12 2008, 10:13 AM) [snapback]410543[/snapback]
I think all of those should be on the honorable mentions list....if your gonna mention Too Sharp and Austin, I think you'll have to mention Rafa Marquez too.

If that's that the case, Izzy too huh? I would have loved to see Austin vs Raffy with Austin having a better corner(no disrespect to his dad), I mean to tell Tim to get lower instead of fight tall was one of the worse things they could have told Tim IMO! A list like this is very hard to come up with!
BigG
Yup...You also can't forget about Michael Carbajal and Humberto Gonzalez...lol...so many great figters throughout the 90's...and what about Terry Norris, Nigel Benn..and you definitely have to mention Kotsya Tszyu too.
Big Slim Sweet
Manny Pacquiao deserves to have his name mentioned here too without doubt. And what about Chavez?

QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 12 2008, 11:05 AM) [snapback]410541[/snapback]
BUt because of their impact in the sport, Trinidad and De La Hoya has to be in the top 10!

How does impact on the sport have anything to do with being one of the best fighters of your era? Those have to be separate lists, otherwise you might as well give honorable mention to Arturo Gatti.

EDIT: Oops, sorry Big G. Didn't see you had Pacquiao there already.

But the Chavez addition still stands.
BigG
Oh Chavez definitely deserves to be there....Not sure where to place him though
D-MARV
I don't see how you wont include Trinidad & De La Hoya on this list! they are among the best fighters in this era, HANDS DOWN!

Both attracted many fans to the sport, they were multi-division champs, both have really good Resumes, and they were among the top pound 4 pound fighters for multiple years! You have to include them!
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 12 2008, 12:27 PM) [snapback]410558[/snapback]
I don't see how you wont include Trinidad & De La Hoya on this list! they are among the best fighters in this era, HANDS DOWN!

Both attracted many fans to the sport, they were multi-division champs, both have really good Resumes, and they were among the top pound 4 pound fighters for multiple years! You have to include them!

Yes but whether you consider them top ten or not should be strictly based on what they accomplished in the ring and not have anything to do with their impact on the sport.

I think Mosley for example has had a slightly better career than Oscar so I would rank him ahead of him. Oscar's impact on the sport should not earn him a place over Mosley IMO.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Spyder @ Nov 12 2008, 11:11 AM) [snapback]410542[/snapback]
That is a tough list...

Some others to be considered:
James Toney
Kostya Tszyu
Tim Austin
Too Sharp?

Agreed about Kostya and Toney..They need to be on the list..I hate to say it but I think I might have to replace Barrera and Morales with Tsyzu and Toney..I like Morales and Barrera a lot but I think Toney and Tsyzu had better skill levels..Barrera did have a insane amount of skill too though..Same with Morales but I give the skill edge to Barrera..
D-MARV
I guess it all depends on how you look at it!

25 years from now when we Bring up the top fighters from this era, people will say Felix Trinidad and Oscar De La Hoya before they say Shane Mosley, Barrera, or Morales!

Now, determining who were the better fighters will differ... Hardcore fans will say guys like Morales, Barrera, and Mosley while casual fans will say De La Hoya and Trinidad!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 12 2008, 03:37 PM) [snapback]410582[/snapback]
I guess it all depends on how you look at it!

25 years from now when we Bring up the top fighters from this era, people will say Felix Trinidad and Oscar De La Hoya before they say Shane Mosley, Barrera, or Morales!

Now, determining who were the better fighters will differ... Hardcore fans will say guys like Morales, Barrera, and Mosley while casual fans will say De La Hoya and Trinidad!

As far as top 10,I put DLH over Trinidad..
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 12 2008, 12:26 PM) [snapback]410557[/snapback]
Oh Chavez definitely deserves to be there....Not sure where to place him though

Chavez was at his best before the fighters that were mentioned were evem champs same goes for Sweet Pea but if we were to include them in this era
Chavez, Sweet Pea, Holyfield, Jones and Hopkins belong at the top.
BigG
I was going to include Chavez but he was on the downhill by the time DLH-Tito were on the come up.
kidbazooka1
Actually when Chavez and Sweet Pea were at there complete best most of the guys mentioned weren't even pros yet.

Different era's for those guys in my opinion.

King Eugene
Thats a hard list for me but right off the bat I'd have to say:

Jones
Hopkins
Toney
Lewis
DLH
Pac-Man
TK
BigG
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Nov 13 2008, 12:39 AM) [snapback]410645[/snapback]
Actually when Chavez and Sweet Pea were at there complete best most of the guys mentioned weren't even pros yet.

Different era's for those guys in my opinion.

ALthough they weren't in their best weight or their prime years for the fight..Whtiaker vs. Chavez is a MUST WATCH for any young pupil or true hardcore fan of the game..the master of pressure fighting vs. the slickest boxer since Willie Pep. That fight was one of the best fights of the 90's.
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 12 2008, 09:25 PM) [snapback]410692[/snapback]
ALthough they weren't in their best weight or their prime years for the fight..Whtiaker vs. Chavez is a MUST WATCH for any young pupil or true hardcore fan of the game..the master of pressure fighting vs. the slickest boxer since Willie Pep. That fight was one of the best fights of the 90's.

Good Fight, But a major Robbery! I felt Whitaker won 8 rounds!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 12 2008, 10:45 PM) [snapback]410704[/snapback]
Good Fight, But a major Robbery! I felt Whitaker won 8 rounds!

Whitaker won easy on my card too..
BrutalBodyShots
I think Ricardo Lopez gets an honorable too.

kidbazooka1
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 12 2008, 11:54 PM) [snapback]410730[/snapback]
I think Ricardo Lopez gets an honorable too.

No doubt Lopez is one of the greatest little men of all time.
The Original MrFactor
Wow... Nobody mentioned Mike Tyson?!?! The Klitscko's?!?!
Rabbit Punch2
Tyson & Chavez were in their primes 20 years ago. The era is 1993 to present. They were well past their primes by 93. Tyson was in prison...
D-MARV
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Nov 13 2008, 01:39 AM) [snapback]410752[/snapback]

This is the Post Mike Tyson Era! the 90's on through!

I dont think the Klits have done anything to be on this list!
slap
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 12 2008, 08:58 AM) [snapback]410540[/snapback]

Bernard Hopkins
Pernell Whitaker
Roy Jones Jr.
Erik Morales
Marco Antonio Barrera
Floyd Mayweather Jr
Evander Holyfield
Joe Calzgahe
Manny Pacquiao
Lennox Lewis

#1 floyd mayweather jr
#2 roy jones jr
#3 lennox lewis
#4 manny pacquiao
#5 oscar dela hoya
#6 felix trinidad
#7 bernard hopkins
#8 pernell whitaker
#9 shane mosley
#10 winky wright
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Nov 13 2008, 01:39 AM) [snapback]410752[/snapback]

The Klitschko's would be lucky to break the top 30 - certainly no where near the top 10.

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 13 2008, 12:16 PM) [snapback]410813[/snapback]
The Klitschko's would be lucky to break the top 30 - certainly no where near the top 10.

I think they are def. top 20-30..It's the era that they are in that is holding them back..Shit,if its ever going to happen,it'll be a Klitchko to unify the titles..They're the closest guys to do it since Lennox Lewis..
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 13 2008, 01:08 PM) [snapback]410825[/snapback]
I think they are def. top 20-30..It's the era that they are in that is holding them back..Shit,if its ever going to happen,it'll be a Klitchko to unify the titles..They're the closest guys to do it since Lennox Lewis..

Regardless of the reason, they're held back. They don't get extra points for beating weaker fighters than say Lennox faced in the 90's.

D-MARV
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 13 2008, 01:36 PM) [snapback]410828[/snapback]
Regardless of the reason, they're held back. They don't get extra points for beating weaker fighters than say Lennox faced in the 90's.

Agreed!

I do believe Vitali would have been competitve in any era, but he can't get a pass based on assumption.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 13 2008, 05:24 PM) [snapback]410860[/snapback]
Pacquiao, DLH, Trinidad and Lewis above Hopkins?

Trinidad shouldn't even be on the list..Hopkins destroyed Trinidad too..Hopkins is for sure in the top 5 of this era..I say 5 because everyone has different opinions but you HAVE to have in the top 5 for sure..

I also agree that Vitali would be competitive during any era..He has a real good chin,is a master of keeping his range,makes good decisions in where to move and when,has iron fists,and has a good reach..Vitali is also really good at throwing combos which makes it even harder for guys to get near him..He also has real good stamina for his size..I know ya can't make assumptions but I'd feel good about making that assumption..The worst thing about Vitali in my opinion is he doesn't have much speed but as we've seen in guys like Glen Johnson,you can make up for the lack of speed..Another thing is Vitali has 3 different looks in the ring and I'm not sure if they were fazes or just different looks..He can fight defensive,robotic,or fluid and quite aggressive..

I can still remember Roy Jones saying how impressed he was when Klitchko threw the double right uppercut and hoped back and then back in with a 1-2 to KO Williams..Ya all gotta admit,that looked real sweet!!
BigG
I actually thought that uppercut combo had absolutely nothing but the 1-2 after he stepped back was sweet
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 14 2008, 02:47 AM) [snapback]410932[/snapback]
I actually thought that uppercut combo had absolutely nothing but the 1-2 after he stepped back was sweet

The double uppercut set up the 1-2..It fazed him and the 1-2 finished him..I know ya hate it when I bring up this combo,but it was dope..
BigG
No, it's a great combination. That's textbook boxing..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 14 2008, 03:06 AM) [snapback]410939[/snapback]
No, it's a great combination. That's textbook boxing..

The 1-2 is,the double right uppercut isn't..Vitali has great fundamentals of boxing which is even more proof that he'd be able to compete in any era..For being that tall,he is quite coordinated..Wlad. too..
King Eugene
Gotta Throw Tyson in there.
BigG
I think Vitali would give any Heavyweight in history trouble but Wlad would fail against some big punchers (Foreman, Tyson to name 2)
King Eugene
Wasn't too many fighters that could last when Tyson touched their chin early. Say what you want but Lewis got lucky and recovered quick in their fight.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 14 2008, 03:15 AM) [snapback]410942[/snapback]
I think Vitali would give any Heavyweight in history trouble but Wlad would fail against some big punchers (Foreman, Tyson to name 2)

I think Foreman would also give anyone problems and obviously showed that at 45 like B-Hop is still doing at 44 now..I wish Foreman had his "older" mentality and way of fighting mixed with his younger body..I liked when he tried to set up the shots instead of swinging away and hopin one landed..All it took was one..It may look more "scary" for his opponents but he wouldn't of wasted anything..I give Foreman a power edge over Tyson definitely..Who would you give the edge to??
BigG
Foreman, no doubt about it. Tyson was faster but Foreman's punching power was out of his world.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 14 2008, 03:21 AM) [snapback]410946[/snapback]
Wasn't too many fighters that could last when Tyson touched their chin early. Say what you want but Lewis got lucky and recovered quick in their fight.

Bonecrusher Smith,James Tillis,Holyfield,Lewis,Ruddock,Tucker,Douglas,Danny Williams(older Tyson but took it all),Frank Bruno all took everything Tyson had early..I gotta give Bruno credit in the first fight since he did go toe-to-toe..He took the shots for awhile but couldn't after awhile..

Just a list of guys who were able to,not trying to prove anything..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 14 2008, 03:25 AM) [snapback]410948[/snapback]
Foreman, no doubt about it. Tyson was faster but Foreman's punching power was out of his world.

Ali even admitted to not being able to watch Foreman hit the bag because of how insane it was..I think watching Foreman hit the bag would scare a lot of guys outta fighting him(not sure if it did) or would at least really ruin their confidence..He would fold the bag in half with one shot..
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 14 2008, 02:32 AM) [snapback]410951[/snapback]
Bonecrusher Smith,James Tillis,Holyfield,Lewis,Ruddock,Tucker,Douglas,Danny Williams(older Tyson but took it all),Frank Bruno all took everything Tyson had early..I gotta give Bruno credit in the first fight since he did go toe-to-toe..He took the shots for awhile but couldn't after awhile..

Wasnt to many, not to be confused with All but I get what your saying.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 14 2008, 02:32 AM) [snapback]410951[/snapback]

Johnny over half the fighters you've listed came post Spinks.

I'm sorry but Mike Tyson ceased to exist post Spinks. Yeah he still managed to blow a few dudes out of the water on reputation and natural ability but we're talking about a guy that trained erratically and was heavily involved in alcohol and now we know probably drugs as well.

Didn't he get decked sparring in the lead-up to Douglas?

For me I simply don't consider anything Mike did after Michael Spinks, not the defeats nor the victories. Something strange happened to Mike after that, something died, it is to me still the saddest story in boxing, certainly that I've witnessed since being a fan.

So yeah those guts stood up to Mike but really what version of Tyson did they really stand up to?

I like Lennox, I think he's a nice guy and a credit to the sport but if I see one more documentary with him crowing about how he stopped the bully I'm gonna puke.

I mean so what Lenny the guy was FIFTEEN YEARS past his prime!!
King Eugene
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Nov 14 2008, 02:49 AM) [snapback]410957[/snapback]
I mean so what Lenny the guy was FIFTEEN YEARS past his prime!!

Cant tell that to Lennix Lewis Fans. LOL

Calzaghe will be the same way about Roy and Hopkins.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 14 2008, 02:55 AM) [snapback]410959[/snapback]
Cant tell that to Lennix Lewis Fans. LOL

Calzaghe will be the same way about Roy and Hopkins.

Yeah but it's true isn't it? mike had been done for so long by the time Lennox got to him it was just scarpping over a carcass.

I remember reading and seeing a few interviews with him in prison, the guy just had zero desire to fight anymore.

Only one problem when he got out of the clink he had no money left!
King Eugene
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Nov 14 2008, 03:03 AM) [snapback]410961[/snapback]
Yeah but it's true isn't it? mike had been done for so long by the time Lennox got to him it was just scarpping over a carcass.

I remember reading and seeing a few interviews with him in prison, the guy just had zero desire to fight anymore.

Only one problem when he got out of the clink he had no money left!

He was fighting for the wrong reasons and thats what has taken the biggest toll on his legacy.
JonnyBlaze
Well the way everyone defends Tyson and says he was always past his prime..It makes me think that Tyson had the shortest prime of any fighter..Maybe 2-3 years AT MOST then if his prime ended after Spinks in 88..I'd say his prime began in 86..I think some people hold Tyson too high,especially the people who think he is the best heavyweight ever..Mostly casual fans say that though..

Ali would of picked Tyson apart and KO'd him..His height,reach,speed,jab,combos,and footwork would of been all too much for Tyson..Tyson's head movement would of been his best asset against Ali..Don't compare Tyson to Frazier either,Joe was like a 1/2 inch shy of 6 foot and Tyson was more like 5'9..Head movement is different in the actual style of head movement..Tyson's was quick side to sides with his head while Joe's was more like him bending down and up real quick(both very unique in the head movement department and 2 of the best)..Ali's power was underrated based on the fact that he switched his power up and didn't put bad intentions on every shot like Tyson does..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 14 2008, 04:12 AM) [snapback]410966[/snapback]
He was fighting for the wrong reasons and thats what has taken the biggest toll on his legacy.

Exactly!!Very stupid..
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 14 2008, 03:21 AM) [snapback]410968[/snapback]
Well the way everyone defends Tyson and says he was always past his prime..It makes me think that Tyson had the shortest prime of any fighter..Maybe 2-3 years AT MOST then if his prime ended after Spinks in 88..I'd say his prime began in 86..I think some people hold Tyson too high,especially the people who think he is the best heavyweight ever..Mostly casual fans say that though..

Ali would of picked Tyson apart and KO'd him..His height,reach,speed,jab,combos,and footwork would of been all too much for Tyson..Tyson's head movement would of been his best asset against Ali..Don't compare Tyson to Frazier either,Joe was like a 1/2 inch shy of 6 foot and Tyson was more like 5'9..Head movement is different in the actual style of head movement..Tyson's was quick side to sides with his head while Joe's was more like him bending down and up real quick(both very unique in the head movement department and 2 of the best)..Ali's power was underrated based on the fact that he switched his power up and didn't put bad intentions on every shot like Tyson does..

Shortest Prime...Yes!
Best Heavyweight Ever...Hell No! Who on hear said that?
Who in the world compared Tyson to Ali and Fraizer? Johnny...where did you come from with that one?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.