Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Whos Who in Hip Hop
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
King Eugene
I was riding down the road today and I started thinking, who do I really think the best rapper alive and all times are. Well I wont say who I think is the best of all times cause that could be debated all day long and thats not what I want this topics focus to be. I want to know what some artist in hip hop (notice I said hip hop and not just rap music) are better known for. I'll list some examples, please tell your thoughts and add a few categories if you like.

Sister Soul - Lauryn Hill
Punch Line King - Lloyd Banks
Mr. Metaphor - Lil Wayne
Mr. Swagger - T.I.
Mr. "I did it first/the copied me" - Jim Jones
Hardest Female Rapper - Chyna White
Skateboard Kid - Lupe Fiasco
The Boss - Jay-Z

I could keep going on and on but I want to know what some others think as well before I add more. This was just an example of what I'm looking for.
BigG
Mr. Name Dropper - The Game haha.gif
BigG
Mr Worthless Talentless Hack - Soulja Boy
STEVENSKI
Mr I enjoy getting my arse shagged: Snoop

King Eugene
LMAO...this was suppose to be a serious thread. Yall dudes are a trip.

Game does drop everybody name though.

Mr. Nice Guy - Will Smith....LMAO damn that was funny. So I guess Eminem is Mr. Bad Guy?

Mr. Afrocentric - Andre 3000
Mr. Where have you been - Lil Flip
Mr. Skinny Dragon - Chamillionaire
Pocket Book Boy - Gucci Mane
Godfather of Gangsta Rap - Ice Cube
Smoothes Flow - Snoop Dog (the old Snoop)
King of Crunk - of course Lil Jon
King of R&B - R. Kelly (I can imagine the jokes about to be thrown out. LOL)
Soul Man - Common

Who do you guys think is the better producer between Dr. Dre, Jermaine Dupri, Swizz Beatz, Timbaland, and Scott Storch?
BigG
Mr. ILLMATIC - Nasir "Nasty Nas" Jones
JonnyBlaze
I've only heard 2 good names so far,Nas and Common..

King of Hip-hop---Big L..Sad thing is is that I bet most of ya haven't heard him but I know ALL of ya must have heard his name in someones song refering to him as the best..
Metaphor machine--Canibus..He might as well be a human version of the dictionary..

3King3--Mr. Metaphor for Lil Wayne??hahahaha..Who gave that garbage that name??He is the most overrated artist ever..Canibus would kill any of Lil Wayne's written shit in a freestyle..

Soulja Boy is a piece of shit too..hahaha..

Top 5 best ever is---Big L,Rakim,Canibus,Juice/MC Juice(from the Chi),and Nas..It'd be tough to put them in order so I won't..
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 12 2008, 10:41 PM) [snapback]410724[/snapback]
Metaphor machine--Canibus..He might as well be a human version of the dictionary..

Mention LL Cool J or Eminem around Canibus and he shribbles up and hide. Dont get me wrong, 2nd Round Knockout was a beast but at the end of the day he couldn't mess with LL.
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 12 2008, 10:41 PM) [snapback]410724[/snapback]

King of Hip-hop---Big L..Sad thing is is that I bet most of ya haven't heard him but I know ALL of ya must have heard his name in someones song refering to him as the best..

3King3--Mr. Metaphor for Lil Wayne??hahahaha..Who gave that garbage that name??He is the most overrated artist ever..Canibus would kill any of Lil Wayne's written shit in a freestyle..

Top 5 best ever is---Big L,Rakim,Canibus,Juice/MC Juice(from the Chi),and Nas..It'd be tough to put them in order so I won't..

And as far as freestyling, name one guy who could literally embaress you worse than Cassidy, Fab, Serious Jones, hell even Gin.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 13 2008, 12:32 AM) [snapback]410738[/snapback]
And as far as freestyling, name one guy who could literally embaress you worse than Cassidy, Fab, Serious Jones, hell even Gin.

Supernatural or Juice would destroy all of them..

Canibus punked LL and Eminem bad..How could you even compare either Eminem or LL to Canibus..They are weak compared to him..You must not of listened to all the stuff Canibus came out with diss wise..Second round KO was just the beginning..
blackbelt2003
The Old School GOAT - Rakim
The New School GOAT - Biggie
The Perfect Rapper - Royce Da 5'9
The Perfect Battle Rapper - Canibus
Most Versatile - LL Cool J (from love rhymes to battle raps)
Funniest Lines - Eminem

Black
BigG
The Story Teller - UK's own legendary Slick Rick (Children's Story one of my best ever)
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 13 2008, 09:08 AM) [snapback]410777[/snapback]
The Story Teller - UK's own legendary Slick Rick (Children's Story one of my best ever)

One of the best story tellers in my opinion is Big L..Listen to Casualties of a Dice game or The heist..Doesn't get in more detail then that..He makes ya think it for real happened cause of how detailed he makes it..Biggie has one song I think holds up with some of the best story tellers--Niggaz Bleed..That song is sick whether you're a fan of him or not..I wasn't much of a fan but that is one of the best pure hip hop songs..Hip hop is all about story telling,skills,NOT THE CHORUS like rap,and the battles..Rappers who try to battle sound straight up retarded if ya compare them to a guy who freestyles in the hip hop world..Rapper just want to be played as back round music and hip hop you have to listen to otherwise you won't understand any of it..
Maxy
Mr Smooth Operator - Big Daddy Kane.
D-MARV
As Far as Story telling rap... "Who Killed It" by NAs is the greatest song of all tme!!!!!
King Eugene
Canibus punked LL and Em? LOL yea ok

On another note, where has Canibus been lately?

I think the best diss song ever made is "Ether". Nas straight up ripped Jay-Z. I dont care what no one says, you cant tell me different. Not just a couple of lines or just one verse, but the whole song, word after word he was getting after Jay-Z's ass.
King Eugene
Mr. Cat in The Hat story teller - Project Pat. LMAO...he still one of my favs though.
Mr. Versatile - Ludacris
Mr. Repeat - Mike Jones
Underrated - 8Ball and MJG and Pimp C
Mr. I dont give a damn - Redman
The Thug Poet - Tupac
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 14 2008, 03:38 AM) [snapback]410954[/snapback]
Canibus punked LL and Em? LOL yea ok

On another note, where has Canibus been lately?

I think the best diss song ever made is "Ether". Nas straight up ripped Jay-Z. I dont care what no one says, you cant tell me different. Not just a couple of lines or just one verse, but the whole song, word after word he was getting after Jay-Z's ass.

LL beat Canibus when Canibus was really young and LL was in his prime..Canibus came back with Rip the Jacker,2nd round KO,and I think another one back at LL..Lyrically Canibus destroys just about everyone..Only dudes who'd be able to keep up that are still alive would be Nas,Rakim,and Juice..

Juice whooped Eminem when they battled at scribble jam in 97'..Did you ever see it??I gotta give props to Eminem for not droppin the mic..Juice is just sooo smooth when freestylin..You could tell Eminem knew he was gettin killed though..Eminem isn't a push over when freestylin,don't get me wrong though..I do think Canibus would smoke him though..

Canibus has been comin out with some good shit..Look up the song 2012..He flows for 11 minutes straight,no chorus..He just hasn't come out with a cd in awhile..He's only been droppin songs but no cds..YouTube has some new good stuff..Metaphor Meteors is good too..His last cd was definitely not up to par but I have a feeling when his next cds comes out,it's gonna be wicked..
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 14 2008, 03:04 AM) [snapback]410962[/snapback]
LL beat Canibus when Canibus was really young and LL was in his prime..Canibus came back with Rip the Jacker,2nd round KO,and I think another one back at LL..Lyrically Canibus destroys just about everyone..Only dudes who'd be able to keep up that are still alive would be Nas,Rakim,and Juice..

Juice whooped Eminem when they battled at scribble jam in 97'..Did you ever see it??I gotta give props to Eminem for not droppin the mic..Juice is just sooo smooth when freestylin..You could tell Eminem knew he was gettin killed though..Eminem isn't a push over when freestylin,don't get me wrong though..I do think Canibus would smoke him though..

Canibus has been comin out with some good shit..Look up the song 2012..He flows for 11 minutes straight,no chorus..He just hasn't come out with a cd in awhile..He's only been droppin songs but no cds..YouTube has some new good stuff..Metaphor Meteors is good too..His last cd was definitely not up to par but I have a feeling when his next cds comes out,it's gonna be wicked..

You show me a company who signs him and I'll show you a company ready to lose money.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 14 2008, 04:17 AM) [snapback]410967[/snapback]
You show me a company who signs him and I'll show you a company ready to lose money.

Meaning??
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 14 2008, 03:24 AM) [snapback]410970[/snapback]
Meaning??

He wont sell any records. You can make all the claims in the world why he's such a great lyricist but he cant sell records like the greats you compared him too such as Nas and Rakim. LOL that dude couldn't sell water to a man on fire.
Mino
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 12 2008, 11:41 PM) [snapback]410724[/snapback]

Krs ??
Mino
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 13 2008, 05:55 PM) [snapback]410863[/snapback]
As Far as Story telling rap... "Who Killed It" by NAs is the greatest song of all tme!!!!!

I gave you power was Nas sickest story
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 12 2008, 11:30 PM) [snapback]410737[/snapback]
Mention LL Cool J or Eminem around Canibus and he shribbles up and hide. Dont get me wrong, 2nd Round Knockout was a beast but at the end of the day he couldn't mess with LL.

Don't get me started!

Canibus is a monster. Although his career maybe has been a slight dissapointment (why couldn't every album be like 2000 BC and Rip The Jacker), you can't deny his ability to write the stuff he does....it's insane.

There is NO rapper who raps about the same stuff as Canibus does....NO-ONE.

Nas, Jigga, Big L, Big Pun, Rakim, etc are all greats in their own right....but their lyrical material is all similar. I'm not saying Canibus is better then these dudes just because of his different lyrics, but it HAS to be respected.

Rip The Jacker is jsut mind blowing. No album is like it.

I give credit to LL for being a Hip Hop legend, and 'Who Shot Ya?' is a classic track, but his stuff for the last few years is terrible. Enough of the love songs....they're shit.

ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 14 2008, 03:38 AM) [snapback]410974[/snapback]
He wont sell any records. You can make all the claims in the world why he's such a great lyricist but he cant sell records like the greats you compared him too such as Nas and Rakim. LOL that dude couldn't sell water to a man on fire.

Sales don't mean too much.

I mean, Lil Wayne is the biggest selling rap artist at the moment (or one of them), but his stuff sucks ass. It's shit.

Ricky Hatton has amazing support....the best in the UK, but he's not the UKs best fighter.
BigG
Canibus as a lyricist/rapper is a monster.

But Canibus the artist (quality and content of albums) is not better than Nas or Rakim....

ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 14 2008, 01:13 PM) [snapback]411037[/snapback]
Canibus as a lyricist/rapper is a monster.

But Canibus the artist (quality and content of albums) is not better than Nas or Rakim....

Agreed. He is a massive underachiever.

DISSAPOINTING CAREERS - Canibus, Memphis Bleek and Method Man

Whats up with Memphis? He was Jay Z's star boy....his right hand boy. What went wrong? He appeared on Reasonable Doubt (the ONLY Jigga album worth having, imo) and was brilliant. He had the style, the lyrical ability, the swagger, the backing, but it went horribly wrong.

Method Man.....It's not like he's had a bad career so far.....it's just not been as good as it could have been. Kinda like Calzaghe, lol. Like I read somewhere before - there was a reson why he was the only Wu member to have his own song on their classic first album and to rap along side Bigge on Ready to Die....beacuse he was a special talent, but, imo, he wasted his career doing comical stuff with Redman....which again, wasn't terrible, but he could've done so much more, instead of putting out some classic Wu/Meth stuff.

Canibus - This dude had the crazy lyrics, the aggression, the metaphors and punch lines, the hype, but still fell short. Surely, he listened to 'Hip Hop for Sale' and 'C True Hollywood Stories' and thought 'WTF am I doing putting these albums out? Just give me some agressive beats and let me do my thing'. But, he didn't. He made shit songs with shit topics that resulted in shit sales and shit credability. Why do that when he's released amazing albums like 2000 BC, Mic Club and RTJ is a mystery.

VIOLENT, MAKE YOU WANNA SMASH SOMEONE UP ARTIST - Jedi Mind Tricks

This award has to go to Stoupe and Vinny Paz. From the moment the epic orchestrca starts, the eerie strings, big beats and Vinny starts growling on the track, you know you're in for some violent horror core rap shit. Although Vinny can be easily outshinned (Sean Price, Canibus, GZA, Ill Bill, etc) and a little repetitive, if you ever want to listen to some dark, raw hip hop, look no further.

WHAT TYPE OF UPBRINGING DID THEY HAVE ARTIST?!?! - Ill Bill, Necro and Mr Hyde

Either as single artists, or as their group 'Circle of Tyrants', these guys are fucked up. Sexorist and Death Rap contain some fucked up lyrics laugh.gif

DEEP THINKING ARTIST - Killah Priest

Most people put Common, Talib, Mos Def, etc, but I'm going with Priest. Mainly because his lyrical content is so different to most rappers and religion is a big interest to me. It's hard to listen to his stuff without feeling either moved or curious about what he's saying.
BigG
I actually liked Hip Hop For Sale...I liked that tender Canibus love song..strange to hear that from him laugh.gif

Rip The Jacker and 2000bc are both Classics. Rip The Jacker was incredible. Canibus is really about battle MC with crazy metaphors and rhymes. He is almost unteachable in that area.
BigG
ROLL, what do you think of his first LP?

Alot of people consider it a dissapointment...but I think it was really good.

Nigganemtry was a great song.., Buckingham Palace, Patriot, Get Retarded, I Honor U, 2nd Round KO were all great tracks (IMO).

My favorite Canibus song besides the incredible Poet Laurete II and M-Sea Creasy....has to be Bis Vs. Rip....where he battles his alterego..lol..that was crazy!

Canibus will go down as quite possibly the most underrated MC of all time..along with Royce, Jeru and AZ

"Yo, I meant it when I said no one can shine on a song that features me
thats why I said it so vehemently
You need to place the hate with respect
I'm probably the best yet, Poet Laureate"

^ Canibus is right.. I don't think anyones outshined him on a track yet...except Redman thumbsup_anim.gif
ROLL DEEP
Can-I-Bus is a great album.

Nothing like the reputation he built up on the mixtape circuit prior to the albums release - which is why people probably didn't review the album highly - but still has some classic tracks on there and WAY better than half the stuff released today.

Buckingham Palace is a dope track.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 17 2008, 04:26 AM) [snapback]411408[/snapback]
ROLL, what do you think of his first LP?

Alot of people consider it a dissapointment...but I think it was really good.

Nigganemtry was a great song.., Buckingham Palace, Patriot, Get Retarded, I Honor U, 2nd Round KO were all great tracks (IMO).

My favorite Canibus song besides the incredible Poet Laurete II and M-Sea Creasy....has to be Bis Vs. Rip....where he battles his alterego..lol..that was crazy!

Canibus will go down as quite possibly the most underrated MC of all time..along with Royce, Jeru and AZ
"Yo, I meant it when I said no one can shine on a song that features me
thats why I said it so vehemently
You need to place the hate with respect
I'm probably the best yet, Poet Laureate"

^ Canibus is right.. I don't think anyones outshined him on a track yet...except Redman thumbsup_anim.gif

Rip Vs. Bis is SO sick!!My favorite Canibus songs are 2000 BC,2012(new shit),Patroit,Poet Laurete,C of Tranquility(look it up on Youtube if you want to be blown away),Lost at C,Watch who you beef with,100 bars,Channel Zero,C section,Spartibus,and I could go on and on about favorite canibus songs..Rip the Jacker and 2000 BC are badddd ass cds..I do like all his cds though..

Canibus is on the level of Nas and Rakim in my opinion..Canibus is in the top 5 best ever IMO..Sales don't mean shit either..He isn't mainstream and I hope he never is..Mobb Deep was dope in the underground and turned WACK as hell when they joined G Unit..

Roll Deep and Big G know whats up with Canibus..Do you guys think LL and Eminem are better than him like 3King3 obviously does??Both them couldn't even carry his jock strap..
From C of Tranquility
"I ain't a rapper,I'm a ripper slasher,
Supreme dream catcher,
Brother Frater who'd rather attend to other matters,
Like mastering words,spell cast a curse you haven't heard,
Incense I burn,smells like a bag of herb,
I walk among the living hidden,but spittin,they bid me good riddance,
Cuz nobody knows what I've written!!"---This is sooo true about him..He is kinda hidden from people but not as much as Big L is..No one really even knows Big L even though he did more for hip hop than quite possibly anyone..

How many artists do you guys know who can flow for 10 minutes in mulitple songs with no chorus??

"I was born with the mic,
Lord of the mic,
Before all plant and animal life"-----one of my favorite Canibus lines from 2000 BC
ROLL DEEP
I think Eminen is actually a VERY good MC....one of the best, but I think he could've done more with his career....too many radio friendly songs for my liking...but hey, he's gotta earn money so I can't complain.

As for LL, well, he hasn't made anything I've liked for years. I respect him for his earlier work, but his material nowadays sucks.

As for who's better, personally I like Canibus, Em (very close second) and LL.

Give me Rip The Jacker over any of Em's albums....although Em has made some great songs, none of them can compare to RTJ.

I can't believe Stoupe put the beats to the lyrics WITHOUT Canibus being there. Makes the album even better knowing that.
BigG
One of the best artists in recent years is Cage....Eminem ain't the best white rapper anymore..Cage last album Hells Winter was a classic..some tracks were incredible.
The CEO
Ok. Enough is enough....it's always the same names in these Hip Hop threads...

Ghostface - Mister Memory Lane....Experienced, Real, Hood Conscious

Andre 3000 - Mister Avant Garde...Intelligent, Innovative, Fresh, Positive

Really....the more I think about it....Andre 3000 should be in the Top 10 MCs of All Time....maybe even the Top 5.......he's killed more verses than I count.....dude is an artist of the highest level.....
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Nov 18 2008, 10:15 AM) [snapback]411645[/snapback]
Ok. Enough is enough....it's always the same names in these Hip Hop threads...
Ghostface - Mister Memory Lane....Experienced, Real, Hood Conscious

Andre 3000 - Mister Avant Garde...Intelligent, Innovative, Fresh, Positive
Really....the more I think about it....Andre 3000 should be in the Top 10 MCs of All Time....maybe even the Top 5.......he's killed more verses than I count.....dude is an artist of the highest level.....

Andre 3000 is superb. I bet half the stuff he writes and never uses is like a million times better than the shit TI, Lil Wayne and the rest of the 'hip-hop superstars' use.

Re-read my list...Jedi Mind Tricks, Killah Priest, Circle of Tyrants never get a mention in hip-hop threds.
The CEO
Yeah...you didn't lay down the typical shit....I'm just so used to clickin' on these threads and seein' the same old names that I spoke too soon....fed up....you know how it is...lol

I'd also like to add Del Tha Funky Homosapien as "Mister Futuristic"....another underrated ATG in my book...

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 18 2008, 07:08 AM) [snapback]411630[/snapback]
One of the best artists in recent years is Cage....Eminem ain't the best white rapper anymore..Cage last album Hells Winter was a classic..some tracks were incredible.

RA the Rugged man is the best white hip hop artist in my opinion..If ya don't like what he flows about,whatever though..Listen to the song Lessons or uncommon valor by Jedi Mind Tricks with RA in it..He rips it up in uncommon valor..

Jus Allah is the shit in Jedi Mind but it's only Vinnie Paz and RA in uncommon valor..
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 18 2008, 05:12 PM) [snapback]411709[/snapback]
RA the Rugged man is the best white hip hop artist in my opinion..If ya don't like what he flows about,whatever though..Listen to the song Lessons or uncommon valor by Jedi Mind Tricks with RA in it..He rips it up in uncommon valor..

Jus Allah is the shit in Jedi Mind but it's only Vinnie Paz and RA in uncommon valor..

Uncommon Valour is the SHIT! What a song man. RA is a beast in that track.

Check out RA the Rugged Man in The Renassisance Child - directors cut video on youtube and tell me he's not one of the best to ever do it.

Him and Hell Razah kill that track....RA's flow is crazy.
BigG
Rugged is the shit..but to me..Cage is in a different level right now.
rusty_trombone
Lords of the Underground!

Who didn't like the classic track, "Chief Rocka"

Suck it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.