FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
My Favorite Boxing Moments were:

Mayweather TKO10 Hatton
Evander TKO11 Tyson
Hopkins TKO 12 Trinidad
Hopkins KO9 De La Hoya
Roy Jones UD Ruiz

Im only 24 so I dont remember the 80s nor 70s, Im sure I would have more moments but these were events I was watching live!

BigG
In my time as a hardcore boxing fan since 2000 (yes since i was 11)

Felix Trinidad KO 12 Fernando Vargas - I was rooting for Vargas but this turned me into a hardcore fan. I started watching boxing alot and while all my friends loved Basketball, Football, I was the only one who loved boxing.

Diego Corrales TKO 10 Jose Luis Castillo - Most brutal fight I've ever seen.

Bernard Hopkins UD 12 Antonio Tarver - Bernard upsets Tarver.

Bernard Hopkins KO 9 Oscar De La Hoya - Never liked DLH.

Diego Corrales TKO 10 Acelino Freitas - I was JUMPING FOR JOY after this.

Erik Morales UD 12 Manny Pacquiao - I really thought Morales was going to lose this fight.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. TKO 10 Ricky Hatton - Brits BOO our National Anthem and Floyd whoops up their hero.

Zab Judah TKO 9 Cory Spinks - At least Judah had this one great night.

Now that I look back, I loved Corrales so much....

Boxing - #1 Sport.
King Eugene
DMarv you are on a roll with all these new threads your coming up with lol.

I'll start with my worse moments:
All of Jone's KO's and his loss to Cal
Tyson getting KO'd by Holyfield and Lewis
Zab getting embaressed.

My Best moments:
Zab beating Spinks
Jones over Ruiz
Nard whooping Tarver
Dawson Whooping Tarver (incase you didnt notice, anybody beating Tarver was my favorite)
Corrales vs. Castillo 1 and 2
Toney over Holyfield
Mayweather KO Hatton
D-MARV
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 12 2008, 09:47 PM) [snapback]410706[/snapback]
DMarv you are on a roll with all these new threads your coming up with lol.

I'm trying to keep this board rollin!!!

I forgot to add Hopkins Vs Tarver!
Lil-lightsout
I am 35yrs old and been an avid fan since mid to later 80's. So many memories, think of a few off top of my head.

Toney KO over Nunn was amazing back in 1991.
Seeing Hopkins fight at Blue Horizon on undercard back in 1991 I think.
Seeing Toney,Jones, Holyfield,Lewis,Bowe,Whitaker,and many other greats fight live.
Meldrick Taylor -Chavez I back when I was a senior in high school was crazy.
Tyson-Douglas was unbelieveable.
Vargas-Trinidad was electric.
Seeing Hopkins totally dismantle Trinidad was awesome.
Toney-Barkley was sick, they wanted to kill one another.
Sugar Ray over Hagler.
Holyfield over Tyson for the huge upset.
Fenech-Nelson I, undercard fight on PPV.Great fight, Fenech robbed.
Meeting many cool fighters at boxing events.

Sure there are tons more, think of more later.

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 12 2008, 10:30 PM) [snapback]410693[/snapback]
My Favorite Boxing Moments were:

Mayweather TKO10 Hatton
Evander TKO11 Tyson
Hopkins TKO 12 Trinidad
Hopkins KO9 De La Hoya
Roy Jones UD Ruiz

Im only 24 so I dont remember the 80s nor 70s, Im sure I would have more moments but these were events I was watching live!

All of the ones you listed plus---
Archie Moore puttin Marciano on the floor and the rest of Moore's career
Lennox KOing Tyson
Corrales stopping Castillo and Acelino
Sugar Ray Robinson KOing Gene Fuller
James Toney vs. Barkley,McCallum
Holyfield knocking Bowe down
Dempsey vs. Firpo
Any moment of Willie Pep at his best
Ray Robinson beating Graziano
Gene Tunney vs. Dempsey 1
Holyfield becoming the only 4 time heavyweight champ ever
Holyfield KOing Moorer
Jerry Quarry KOing Earnie Shavers in round 1----So vicious
George Foreman vs. Ron Lyle
And I'm with Lil-lightsout--getting to meet all the guys I've gotten to watch fight..
Nay_Sayer
Tyson Spinks
kidbazooka1
Chavez/Rosario-This was Chavez at his best. Chavez was moving up in weight to face the best 135lb at the time and of the hardest punchers of all time in Rosario. Chavez completley dominated the future HOF.

Sanchez/Gomez-mexican vs Rican rivalry begins.

Duran/Barkely-Old ass Duran wins middleweight title.

Chavez/Taylor-No need to say much here.

Tapia/Romero-the two best jr bantamweights of the time in a little guys superfight. Tapia at his best would have schooled Montiel, Vic, Arce and Nonito on the same night.

Trinidad/Campas-Yori boy was tought to be the next Chavez. Tito destroys him.

Morales/Barrera I-Classic

Corrales/Castillo I-Classic

Marquez/Vasquez I,II,II-All classics
The Original MrFactor
Ali/Spinks II - Ali winning... Ofcoarse, as a kid, i was a little disappointed that he didnt KO Spinks, but what the hell did i know at the time.

Holmes/Cooney - being the only black kid in a predominantly white suburban Connecticut neighborhood... Need I say more??

Tyson/Spinks - I hated Michael Spinks for denying "Us," a victory that would have tied Rocky marciano's record. So he had to pay.

Holyfield/Bowe 1 - One of the best fights I've ever seen. I dont think this one gets enough credit. Absolute war.

Foreman/Moorer - I was happy to see George get his just due. After Zaire, he was always going to be in Ali's shadow. Now he's the one making the shadows...

Toney/Jones Jr - Although I was disappointed with the fight itself because there wasn't alot of action, I was happy because I thought we had the 2 best guys at the time in the ring.

Mercer/Morrison - i dont know... I just hated Tommy morrison for some reason. Funny, I think this was on Tuesday nite fights too. What are the chances of a big match like that being on a Tuesday in todays market.

Margarito/Cotto - It shut alot of people up.
ROLL DEEP
Fights that stand out in my memory for one reason or another.....

BENN vs McCLELLEN

What a fight. I was interested in boxing, but after watching this, it really made me a fan of Benn and boxing. Obviously how McClellen ended up was terrible, but the fight itself was tremendous and it was one of the first boxing fights I watched and was captivated by.

JONES JNR vs HALL

Man, what a display of EVERYTHING. Yeah, I know Richard Hall wasn't exactly an amazing challenger, but still....Jones looked awesome. I love watching this fight to see an athlete do his thing.

TRINIDAD vs MAYORGA

Everything about this fight was brilliant. The rivalry, the build up, the verbal to and fro, Ricardo sticking his chin out, and the fight was real entertaining.

LEWIS vs TYSON

Don't remember ever being so nervous about a fight. All the time I was waiting for Tyson to clip Lewis with a hook and destroy Lennox's dream, but Lennox boxed brilliantly and Tyson showed tremendous heart.

WATCHING BOXERS TRAIN

I never, ever, ever, get bored of watching boxers train. Tyson, Hopkins, Jones, Mayweather, Moseley, etc, etc.....It's great to watch them train and workout.

Obviously, there are others, but I wanted to keep the list short, lol.
blackbelt2003
Hatton-Tszyu

I was at the show, and the atmosphere was tremendous. I was fully expecting Tszyu to destroy Hatton, so seeing Ricky mixing it so successfully with the champ was such a great surprise for me...and then when Tszyu quit the whole place exploded.

Magnificent to come out of the MEN arena and seeing all of Manchester at a stand still, cheering for Hatton. It must have been what it was like in the 40's and 50's when everybody and their dog was a boxing fan.

Black
Spyder
In addition to some already listed...

Rahman-Lewis I
Barrera-Hamed
DLH-Chavez
Judah-Weiss (took a 12hr roadtrip to sit ringside...big ups to Tunica,MS)
salvador
#1.) 12th round of DLH-Quartey: I hate that a cliched pick like DLH would be my top moment, but I have to say that the 12th round of DLH-Quartey was the most exciting round I've ever watched and it was the first time I've ever seen a fight that I really wanted both guys to finish the fight. I felt like, as a fan, I grew up that night.

#2.) Jirov barely gets up as the bell rings in the 12th round of his fight with Toney and (in spite of the fact that Jirov was more or less dead) Jirov snarls at Toney as if he was just getting started. Amazing moment.

#3.) Vargas barely finishes the first round with Tito and smiles at him (out on his feet) as if to say "is that all you've got?" and then goes to the wrong corner.

#4.) Hamed has beer thrown on him as he flies over the crowd to enter the ring for the Barrera fight.

#5.) Cotto quitting against Marg.

#6.) Morales taking one of his belts over to Barrera after their first fight (acknowledging the bad/questionable decision) and Barrera refusing it.

#7.) Although it was before my time, watching the replay (as I've done too many times to count) of the entire SRL-Duran 1 fight.

#8.) Another moment before my time I've seen endless loops of: Nelson gets up off the canvas in the 15th round of the Sanchez fight.

#9.) Merchant's last second quip before the opening bell of the Jirov-Letterlough fight: I'm paraphrasing: "As a boy, Vassily Jirov's trainer used to lock him up in closets with attack dogs and also used to take him out to the middle of an icy lake and throw him into the water and make him swim ashore just to cure him of his fear. And he's fighting a guy, Julian Letterlough, who met his father for the very first time in prison and who, in that prison, had the tendon in his left elbow cut with a piece of glass, rendering his jab useless." - Like I said, I was paraphrasing, but the idea that these guys lived such profoundly different lives than me left a deep impression. The drama was real!
mrwigi
mayweather embarrassing gatti(just brutal)
marg vs. cotto.(one of the best fights ive seen)
castillo vs. corrales I
leonard vs. holmes I
leonard vs. duran
im sure i can think of a million more
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 13 2008, 09:28 AM) [snapback]410803[/snapback]
#9.) Merchant's last second quip before the opening bell of the Jirov-Letterlough fight: I'm paraphrasing: "As a boy, Vassily Jirov's trainer used to lock him up in closets with attack dogs and also used to take him out to the middle of an icy lake and throw him into the water and make him swim ashore just to cure him of his fear. And he's fighting a guy, Julian Letterlough, who met his father for the very first time in prison and who, in that prison, had the tendon in his left elbow cut with a piece of glass, rendering his jab useless." - Like I said, I was paraphrasing, but the idea that these guys lived such profoundly different lives than me left a deep impression. The drama was real!

Do not know if you knew but Julian was shot multiple times and killed. Probably happened about two years ago, I can not remember exactly when. He was trying to intervene a fight at a bar, and from what I remember he was shot in the back outside the bar. I do not remember the exact details. He was from my area. Was not sure if you knew that.
salvador
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Nov 13 2008, 01:13 PM) [snapback]410816[/snapback]
Do not know if you knew but Julian was shot multiple times and killed. Probably happened about two years ago, I can not remember exactly when. He was trying to intervene a fight at a bar, and from what I remember he was shot in the back outside the bar. I do not remember the exact details. He was from my area. Was not sure if you knew that.

I did and it was terribly sad. Every time I saw him fight I liked him more. He had a hard life but he was always smiling. And I loved his style.

I really can't imagine what it must have been like to meet his father for the very first time in jail. If that was in a movie nobody would believe it.
Spyder
QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 13 2008, 12:31 PM) [snapback]410818[/snapback]
I did and it was terribly sad. Every time I saw him fight I liked him more. He had a hard life but he was always smiling. And I loved his style.

I really can't imagine what it must have been like to meet his father for the very first time in jail. If that was in a movie nobody would believe it.

Wait a minute...was Julian sent to the same prison as his pops, or did he just go to visit him there?
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Nov 13 2008, 08:16 AM) [snapback]410768[/snapback]
I never, ever, ever, get bored of watching boxers train. Tyson, Hopkins, Jones, Mayweather, Moseley, etc, etc.....It's great to watch them train and workout.

That's a good one!!!I def. gotta agree with ya..Watching boxers train is almost as dope as watching the fight..Sometimes better!!
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(blackbelt2003 @ Nov 13 2008, 08:05 AM) [snapback]410775[/snapback]
Hatton-Tszyu

I was at the show, and the atmosphere was tremendous. I was fully expecting Tszyu to destroy Hatton, so seeing Ricky mixing it so successfully with the champ was such a great surprise for me...and then when Tszyu quit the whole place exploded.
Magnificent to come out of the MEN arena and seeing all of Manchester at a stand still, cheering for Hatton. It must have been what it was like in the 40's and 50's when everybody and their dog was a boxing fan.
Black

Can't believe I forgot that one, laugh.gif

What a brilliant night....the noise when Tszyu didn't come out was insane.
Box in Hand
Here are my most memorable.

1. Hopkins/Trinidad, The most masterful, most technical, destruction and dismantling I have yet to see. I can watch this fight having breakfast.
2. Jones/Griffin, Sweet Redemption.
3. Foreman/Moore, The old really did good.
4. Tyson/Spinks, I was the only one in my family that knew it wasn't going passed 3 rounds.
5. Corrales/Castillo, The heart show in that fight probably won't be matched for a century.
6. Mayweather/Hatton, Don't ever boo our national anthem.
7. Randall/Chavez, This is how to destroy a boxing king.
8. Ali/Foreman, No need for words
pcraw
-The middleweight tournament
-Tyson/Lewis (one of the biggest boxing events in this era)
-Tarver KO of Jones (showed that all of these guys are human)
-Corrales/Castillo 1 (greatest back and fourth action of this era)
-Bowe/Holyfield Trilogy
-Tszyu KO of Zab Judah
-Gatti/Ward 1,2 and 3 (modern day warriors finally making their 7 figure paydays they deserved)
-Cotto/Margarito (finally a big fight lived up to the hype)

These are just some I think of from this era not going back to the 80's.
salvador
QUOTE(Spyder @ Nov 13 2008, 01:33 PM) [snapback]410819[/snapback]
Wait a minute...was Julian sent to the same prison as his pops, or did he just go to visit him there?

I think he was sent there. I think it was the same prison stint when he got his tendon severed by the glass in a prison fight.
Big Slim Sweet
Holyfield-Tyson 1: Probably my single greatest moment as a sports fan. I had been telling people for 8 years that Holy would beat Tyson. Kept telling them that even after I wasn't sure I still believed it myself. Man was that some sweet redemption right there.

Corrales-Castillo 1: I just couldn't believe what I had seen. The one fight more than any other where I wanted to call everyone I knew and talk to them about what I had just witnessed. I had been out that night and watched it on Tivo at like 4 in the morning. I had to put my fist in my mouth to keep myself from screaming so loud and waking up everyone in my building.

Corrales-Freitas: Because I loved Chico and couldn't stand Popo, and it looked so bleak for so many rounds. I leaped out of my seat and screamed when he finally got him. Then went out and celebrated.

Toney-Jirov: Loved both guys, but Toney's always been one of my absolute favorites. That 12th round was incredible.

Lewis-Rahman 2: Probably most guys would have the first one on their list instead. I had just come out as a Lewis fan in 2000. Man, all my friends hated the shit out of him. When Rock KO'd him I got so many calls taunting me. Was at a party for the rematch and was betting everyone in sight Lewis would nail him. And when he did, you knew right that second it was over.
Spyder
QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 13 2008, 02:48 PM) [snapback]410845[/snapback]
I think he was sent there. I think it was the same prison stint when he got his tendon severed by the glass in a prison fight.

That would be a great movie...young black kid meets his pops in prison, and a young white kid gets locked in a closet with angry dogs...then those two kids fight for a World Championship!

Note to self: Start typing this up in Final Draft... thumbsup_anim.gif
D-MARV
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 13 2008, 03:12 PM) [snapback]410847[/snapback]
Lewis-Rahman 2: Probably most guys would have the first one on their list instead. I had just come out as a Lewis fan in 2000. Man, all my friends hated the shit out of him. When Rock KO'd him I got so many calls taunting me. Was at a party for the rematch and was betting everyone in sight Lewis would nail him. And when he did, you knew right that second it was over.

With All Due Respect Slim...

I gotta go with your friends on this one!!!!!

I hated Lewis. In fact let me add Rahman-Lewis I to my list.

But for the record, my hate for Lewis does not override the fact that I think he is one of the greatest Heavyweights of all time!
rusty_trombone
I remember how happy i was when Rahman knocked the shit out of Lewis. It almost brought a tear to my eye. I was also very satisfied when Hopkins fucked up Trinidad. I also enjoyed WIlliams beating Margarito
salvador
QUOTE(Spyder @ Nov 13 2008, 04:18 PM) [snapback]410850[/snapback]
That would be a great movie...young black kid meets his pops in prison, and a young white kid gets locked in a closet with angry dogs...then those two kids fight for a World Championship!

Note to self: Start typing this up in Final Draft... thumbsup_anim.gif

Every great western/superhero movie ect. spends the entire movie building up the good guy and the bad guy so they can meet in the end and have it out. The life paths for so many boxers who meet in the ring are so much more interesting.

JLUVBABY
My very first boxing memory was watching the sugar ray leonard vs. tommy hearns fight on closed circuit in 81' with my grandfather (i was 5 yrs. old...)... till today that is my favorite fight of all time...The night Tyson knocked out Trevor Berbick was awesome.. If you never seen that knock out look it up.. "a right to the body an uppercut to the head.... and berbick is down!!!" lol... CLASSIC!!!"... All of Don Kings fight cards during the time Tyson was in prison... King did his best work in that time frame.. his cards was packed the whole fight card you couldn't waste money on them... all undercard fights where headline status fights... if you weren't a fan at the time look it up on boxrec... I been watchin the fights so long there are just to many to name but recently watching margarito knock out cotto was something to see... hardly nobody, myself included thought margarito would win that fight.. i was rooting for him but thought cotto would do it...lol.. but margarito did his thing and he made that the fight it was...

D-MARV
Hopkins- Pavlik was a great moment... especially when Hopkins just stood in front of the media!

Cotto-Margarito- I was upset with the outcomebut it was my first fight I been too and I will remember that experience forever!
Method
The whole time frame surrounding the Sugar Ray Robinson Middleweight Unification Tournament

The internet (primarily Max) was humming with all the coverage of the event. The message boards were ablaze with Trinidad fanatics and the handful of Hopkins backers. The fight was sick. Just all around great time in the sport.

The Tarver/Hopkins fight was sweet justice for all those that not only said Hops could never move up and win, but also that he was washed up.

The Pavlik/Hopkins fight pretty much the same deal - that the old man was a done deal.
blackbelt2003
I found it really funny when Herbie Hide was sparkoed by Klitschko.

At the time he was running around, shooting his mouth off about how he'd KO Lennox Lewis...all of this off the back of beating Damon Reed and Willi Fischer.

Seeing the braggart bludgeoned to the canvas made me a happy man.

Conversely, I feel sorry for how shitty his career has gone now and am rooting for him at cruiserweight.

Black
Big Slim Sweet
I saw Gatti-Ward 1 live at the Mohegan Sun. That was pretty cool.

Barrera-Hamed was a fight where I couldn't stop smiling afterwards.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 17 2008, 03:37 PM) [snapback]411481[/snapback]
Barrera-Hamed was a fight where I couldn't stop smiling afterwards.

That was great! That was some gangsta $hit
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 17 2008, 05:28 PM) [snapback]411494[/snapback]
That was great! That was some gangsta $hit

Yeah it was. That headbutt into the turnbuckle was like, 'AND the horse (carpet) you rode in on.'
JonnyBlaze
I heard people accused Barrera of Roids after that fight..I don't believe it at all..I bet everyone who said that were Hamed fans who were danglin off his nuts..
Lil-lightsout
Probably for me personally, Larry Holmes gave me the ultimate compliment at his gym on my second day there(recently moved to that area) back in 2000 after a sparring session. Also, back in 1991 sparred former world champion Calvin Grove in Philly. He just toyed with me and took it easy, I was only a couple years into boxing at the time. Yeah, the same Grove who KO'd Jeff Fenech! Sorry Aussie fans, but how the hell did that happen?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.