Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cory Spinks
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
Does anyone else believe that he was robbed in his last 2 fights?
I thought he beat both Jermain Taylor and Verno Phillips...

Anywayz, what the latest on Cory Spinks?
The CEO
MWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
slap
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 13 2008, 01:34 PM) [snapback]410826[/snapback]

Hell yeah he got robbed I had him 116-112 vs jermain and I think he won err round but 1 vs verno so hell yeah he got robbed both times
STEVENSKI
I hate Spinks so.......................................
Mean Mister Mustard
The funny thing was HBO's commentary on the Taylor-Spinks fight. Lampley, still on Taylor's balls saying that it was Spinks's fault that the fight was so boring because he was running around all night. Well that's his style plus he was facing a bigger guy. What does Lampley want Spinks to do? Stand toe to toe so then J'awmaine can look good right Lamps? Then at the end of the fight when one judge gave it to Spinks Lampley mentions how that judge ought to be fired. What was also funny was Merchant, believing that was his last fight, ripping the fight saying "I love these sparring sessions that people pay good money to see".
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 13 2008, 12:34 PM) [snapback]410826[/snapback]

I thought Taylor beat him fairly close but as the middleweight champ should have been able to seal the deal with spinks kinda like norris did with taylor back in the day... no way verno phillips won that fight against spinks... no way, that was highway robbery.. i was shocked spinks didnt fight the decision....
BigG
I was surprised to see Spinks get jobbed in HIS HOMETOWN...
rusty_trombone
I propose a new rule for the FH message board. No threads about Cory Spinks, ever again.
STEVENSKI
Seconded approved & passed into law.
D-MARV
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Nov 13 2008, 08:03 PM) [snapback]410891[/snapback]
I propose a new rule for the FH message board. No threads about Cory Spinks, ever again.

Why?

Cory Spinks is a highly skilled boxer! He might not be exciting to watch to you but he has great skills. If you watch the Jermain Taylor fight you will see a wonderful display of boxing skills... I 'll wouldn't mind seeing Spinks back in action.
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 13 2008, 08:42 PM) [snapback]410898[/snapback]
Why?

Cory Spinks is a highly skilled boxer! He might not be exciting to watch to you but he has great skills. If you watch the Jermain Taylor fight you will see a wonderful display of boxing skills... I 'll wouldn't mind seeing Spinks back in action.

I read on boxingscene a couple weeks back Spinks fights again the begining of next year against some top contender dude from St. Louis but the fight wont be in St. Louis. I cant remember the guys name but I think its a Don King promoted fight.

On another note, Spinks was robbed but he is still boring as hell. So I'll have to agree with Stevenski and the others, lets keep his names out of the board until he does something big.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Nov 13 2008, 08:20 PM) [snapback]410893[/snapback]
Seconded approved & passed into law.

Jack, let's make this happen. Close this piece of crap before it's too late
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
There is no doubt I think he's been robbed in his last two fights. However, ain't no use bitchin about it, shit happens look at Glen Johnson he's been robbed more than anyone. He just hasn't been active since he got ko'd against Judah. He's still my favorite fighter, but he just needs to get in there and get a fight. The big names aren't going to fight him because it's just not a high reward fight. I'd love to see him try and push for a fight with Winky Wright. Anything would be good at this point just to get him back in the ring. He's a damn good boxer, who may have had some tough luck in the last two years, but needs to get his career going again. I still think he can beat most anyone at 54.
BigG
I for one hope Spinks gets more fights and chances at World Titles. He is a smart boxer.
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 18 2008, 05:42 PM) [snapback]411731[/snapback]
I for one hope Spinks gets more fights and chances at World Titles. He is a smart boxer.

My Man! clapping.gif
rusty_trombone
I hope Spinks gets stabbed by Nelly
MarzB
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 13 2008, 09:42 PM) [snapback]410898[/snapback]
Why?

Agreed but some people seem to feel that if you don't use your head as defense and only throw haymakers that makes you not only boring but not good. Obviously people who've been inside of a boxing ring.

That said, I definitely thought he was robbed in St Louis against Phillips, the Taylor fight I saw going either way.

But let me pose a question to those that supposedly hate Cory Spinks so much. So how should a boxer who doesn't box with that much power box that would be advantageous to him??

I won't comment further there.

I do think Cory (and Devon Alexander for that matter) need to remove themselves from Don King's grips. While Cory lacks power, he makes up for it with his defensive skills, movement, speed and ability to counter. However, when you have THAT type of style, you definitely need to be more active than Cory has been the last two years.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(MarzB @ Nov 19 2008, 03:46 PM) [snapback]411875[/snapback]
Agreed but some people seem to feel that if you don't use your head as defense and only throw haymakers that makes you not only boring but not good. Obviously people who've been inside of a boxing ring.

Anyone who's been in the ring would obviously have to appreciate that skill..You have to..Shit,we're the ones getting hit..If you only throw bombs and don't use defense,boxers will pick you apart and expose you really bad..People who haven't been in the ring appreciate it a lot too..Yet,a lot don't either..Some people just want to see Corrales/Castillo type fights in EVERY fight..I think if that's all we ever saw,the stereotypes of boxers would become true..Most people who first put on boxing just think of it as 2 guys punching each other and nothing more and that's what it would be if all we ever saw was brutal wars with no defense..Then the smarter brawlers who used their head alittle bit more than the other guy would become the best guys instead of true boxers who will dominate you with skill like Toney,Mayweather,Spinks,B-Hop,and other guys like them..
MarzB
Exactly. Thats why I love the sport and it's called the "sweet science". What I don't understand (and I follow pretty much every major sport) is more than any sport it seems 'boxing" suffers from the lack of appreciation from the "glamor" styles if you will.

Granted the home run hitter is still seen in a larger light than the singles/doubles hitter, no one would dare say, "Ichioro" sucks because he hits more for average than he does for power.

I've said it here and I'll say it again, in American Football, should Barry Sanders have run the ball like Earl Campbell? Should Steve Nash play in the post like Shaq O'Neal?? Yet somehow in boxing fighters are held to different standards. You hear "they're boring" when it's pretty amazing to me someone could beat you with one hand.

I'd love to see Cory Spinks vs everyones favorite slugger Margarito at '54. We'd truly see how he does against "boxers" that won't sit in front of him.

One more thing about Cory is he and Kevin Cunningham have split and I'm not knowledgeable of his new trainer(s). I think he and John David Jackson would be a great fit.
BigG
I wonder how fans would have treated Willie Pep if he were around today
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 19 2008, 04:21 PM) [snapback]411889[/snapback]

Me too..Fans just don't appreciate the art of boxing like they did back then..
MarzB
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 19 2008, 04:21 PM) [snapback]411889[/snapback]

"He doesn't even punch, whats all that running he's doing, is he in a track meet or something?? Why does he move his head so much,why doesn't he let someone hit him for a change thats what real fighters do." LOL

That guy was amazing. I've looked at his tapes to try and steal some techniques but he's incredibly fast and it's easier said than done..
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I see why people dont like Spinks, I mean to some he isn't the most entertaining fighter to watch. However, I've been in the ring, and I respect how he can move and dodge shots. He controls the pace and boxes effectivley. I dont know how he'd do against Margarito right now at 54, that'd be a tough fight for him. That fight won't happen though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.