Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glen Johnson Calls out Calzaghe!!!!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
Dear Joe,

Congratulations on your win over Roy Jones last Saturday night. I'm happy to see that you're finally getting some overdue credit, and now that you've accomplished what you wanted to against Jones and Bernard Hopkins, I think it's time for you and I to settle some unfinished business.

I'm sure you remember, but if you don't, you previously agreed to fight me three times in the past, yet all three times you pulled out of the fight due to injury and we never had the opportunity to give the fans the fight they were all waiting to see.

Well, now is the time to make up for all of that, to finally agree to fight me. You've done a lot in your career, but for you to truly cement your legacy, you know we must fight.

I'm well aware that the name Chad Dawson has been tossed around, but I already beat him in the ring and the only people who didn't know it were the judges who rendered the most controversial decision of 2008. In fact, 80 percent of the viewers watching the fight on Showtime felt that I won. But the fans know, Dawson knows, and you know who won that fight.

So fighting Dawson serves no purpose other than giving him a big payday. To truly prove yourself as the best fighter in the world, pound for pound, fight me, the man who knocked out a prime Roy Jones and beat Antonio Tarver, two accomplishments you can't claim.

We both know that there is a lot more money for you to make if you fight me.

You know who I am Joe, and my resume speaks for itself. Let's do this, not only for our legacies, but for the fans.

I have been to England three times. I won the World Title there. Your fans know me, all of England knows me. Nobody knows who Chad Dawson is!

Any time you want, I would love to fight you in Wales. I will be there as soon as you invite me.

Respectfully,

"The Road Warrior" Glen Johnson

Could be a good fight! I favor Joe Calzaghe by a slight margin
JD
Terrific fight...won't happen.
Maxy
QUOTE(JD @ Nov 13 2008, 06:18 PM) [snapback]410879[/snapback]

Agreed.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Maxy @ Nov 13 2008, 05:25 PM) [snapback]410880[/snapback]
Agreed.

yep.. that fight is not gonna happen... the fight that needs to happen that probably wont is calzaghe vs. dawson... and as much as i would like too i couldnt blame joe for not taking that fight.. its very dangerous and unless the money is worth it not worth the risk... to bad too cuzz if anybody is gonna beat him dawson is the man... it could be a pass the baton type of fight or joe proves his dominance but either way i know its one of those fights we wont know what would have happened.. i'd be surprised if it does...
STEVENSKI
Good fight but will never happen. I would favour Joe in this one as well.
prettyboygerard
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Nov 13 2008, 03:59 PM) [snapback]410888[/snapback]
Good fight but will never happen. I would favour Joe in this one as well.

Some people gone hate me for this but joe has never taken a fight he thought he could lose. The jones and hopkins fights are about 6 years overdue and the manfredo fight come on not really joe ha some excellent match makers and he would never put himself in a position to lose. Dawson is too dangerous and a southpaw also can see that fight even considered and as for johnson dont hold your breath they way tarver looked in the dawson fight he might get a shot at joe either that or he will retire. AND FOR THE RECORD JEFF LACY FOUGHT LIKE A ROBOT NOT EVEN A SMALL CHANCE TO BEAT JOE LIKE THAT.
BrutalBodyShots
Johnson's feeling another split decision loss on his resume, eh?

D-MARV
QUOTE(prettyboygerard @ Nov 13 2008, 08:25 PM) [snapback]410896[/snapback]
Some people gone hate me for this but joe has never taken a fight he thought he could lose. The jones and hopkins fights are about 6 years overdue and the manfredo fight come on not really joe ha some excellent match makers and he would never put himself in a position to lose. Dawson is too dangerous and a southpaw also can see that fight even considered and as for johnson dont hold your breath they way tarver looked in the dawson fight he might get a shot at joe either that or he will retire. AND FOR THE RECORD JEFF LACY FOUGHT LIKE A ROBOT NOT EVEN A SMALL CHANCE TO BEAT JOE LIKE THAT.

I disagree! Im sure he knew he was going to have his hands full with Hopkins and Kessler
GMAN73
I really thought people who posted on boxing forums actually followed boxing news, I was obviously 100% wrong.
Calzaghe was avoided by Sven Ottke, William Joppy, Bernard Hopkins, RJJ and Antonio Tarver from 2000-2005. He fought the top 2 guys that came across him in Lacy and Kessler, and thoroughly dominated each of them, to an extent that a rematch is wholly out of the question. He made 21 defense's of the WBO trinket and totally unified a division that had never been completely locked down by 1 fighter.(He held the WBO belt, won the IBF from Lacy, the WBA/WBC from Kessler and the Ring belt when he defeated MK). Who would have beat him at 168? If he fights the very limited Glencoffe Johnson he will add another former champ to his victims list, he will annhilate Tarver, and IMO Chad Dawson is still a bit too green to lift JC's titles.

I pray he beats Johnson, Tarver and Dawson. Follow those with a win over Taylor and Abraham/Wright and he can retire at 51-0, and at that point he will be on equal groung with Hopkins and RJJ. I don't understand why people hate on Joe Calzaghe as much as they do, it is inexplicible to me. He is a great fighter plain and simple, when he and Hop and RJJ and DLH and Tarver are gone we are all going to miss them. Mark my words!
salvador
QUOTE(JD @ Nov 13 2008, 07:18 PM) [snapback]410879[/snapback]

I totally agree and I even think it would be a more interesting fight than Dawson-Calzaghe because Johnson would push the action until someone fell down.

I have to say that I think less of Dawson for not giving Johnson the rematch. Johnson deserved it and Dawson knew it. There's no chance that Calzaghe's going to figth for at least 6 months (and I assume he's retired - he should retire, and it would be a very honorable time to retire), and in the meantime Dawson should fight Johnson again. If Dawson ko'd Johnson (as a young fighter should ko a 39 year old guy), that would put any question as to Dawson's legitimacy to rest.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE(prettyboygerard @ Nov 14 2008, 01:25 AM) [snapback]410896[/snapback]
Some people gone hate me for this but joe has never taken a fight he thought he could lose.

Jesus that sounds like Hopkins & Roy. They never took a fight they thought they would lose like most great fighters don't. The difference is that Zags has never lost. Most dominant world champions cannot imagine losing.

Who should Calzaghe have fought at 168?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(GMAN73 @ Nov 13 2008, 09:25 PM) [snapback]410903[/snapback]
I really thought people who posted on boxing forums actually followed boxing news, I was obviously 100% wrong.
Calzaghe was avoided by Sven Ottke, William Joppy, Bernard Hopkins, RJJ and Antonio Tarver from 2000-2005. He fought the top 2 guys that came across him in Lacy and Kessler, and thoroughly dominated each of them, to an extent that a rematch is wholly out of the question. He made 21 defense's of the WBO trinket and totally unified a division that had never been completely locked down by 1 fighter.(He held the WBO belt, won the IBF from Lacy, the WBA/WBC from Kessler and the Ring belt when he defeated MK). Who would have beat him at 168? If he fights the very limited Glencoffe Johnson he will add another former champ to his victims list, he will annhilate Tarver, and IMO Chad Dawson is still a bit too green to lift JC's titles.

I pray he beats Johnson, Tarver and Dawson. Follow those with a win over Taylor and Abraham/Wright and he can retire at 51-0, and at that point he will be on equal groung with Hopkins and RJJ. I don't understand why people hate on Joe Calzaghe as much as they do, it is inexplicible to me. He is a great fighter plain and simple, when he and Hop and RJJ and DLH and Tarver are gone we are all going to miss them. Mark my words!

Where are your facts that say all the fighters you mentioned avoided him? If he was so great like you say, then why the hell did he never leave Wales and test the waters against our best at the time? I will tell you why. Him and his promoter were too much of pussies to test how good he was, so they played it safe and kept him home the whole time so they could get fat wallets. Joe never fucking left Wales to the US to fight our best fighters, go look at his record and look at all the stiffs he fought. Funny you mention Lacy and Kessler, they had to go over to fight him. He finally comes over to the states and fights two HOF fighters that are past there primes. Both of them had him down in the first round, they both would have ended things if they were in there primes. Joe's record is a joke, and that is why I hate on him. He is a damn good fighter, it is a shame he wasted it fighting a bunch up nobodies.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Nov 14 2008, 04:11 AM) [snapback]410908[/snapback]
Where are your facts that say all the fighters you mentioned avoided him? If he was so great like you say, then why the hell did he never leave Wales and test the waters against our best at the time? I will tell you why. Him and his promoter were too much of pussies to test how good he was, so they played it safe and kept him home the whole time so they could get fat wallets. Joe never fucking left Wales to the US to fight our best fighters, go look at his record and look at all the stiffs he fought. Funny you mention Lacy and Kessler, they had to go over to fight him. He finally comes over to the states and fights two HOF fighters that are past there primes. Both of them had him down in the first round, they both would have ended things if they were in there primes. Joe's record is a joke, and that is why I hate on him. He is a damn good fighter, it is a shame he wasted it fighting a bunch up nobodies.

Bla bla bla. Who was the best 168lber in the world in the last 10 years? Why should the champion travel to fight the pretender?

Why did Roy never go to germany to fight DM the linear champion? Becaus ehe was too busy fighting bums like Hall for millions with his safe TV contract. Cuts both ways punchy.
BigG
Even Tito was a fight people thought Hopkins was going to lose, after Tito had looked so spectacular against Joppy.

I also think Hopkins was the underdog against RJ.
King Eugene
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Nov 13 2008, 11:32 PM) [snapback]410911[/snapback]
Bla bla bla. Who was the best 168lber in the world in the last 10 years? Why should the champion travel to fight the pretender?

Why did Roy never go to germany to fight DM the linear champion? Becaus ehe was too busy fighting bums like Hall for millions with his safe TV contract. Cuts both ways punchy.

Question...didnt DM lose to Julio Gonzalez, the dude that Roy dropped 3 times on his way to a UD?
BigG
Funny the bums that Roy was beating DM was struggling with them (ie Hall)
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 14 2008, 05:40 AM) [snapback]410913[/snapback]
Disagreed strongly. First off, no top fighter who is mentally tough would NEVER EVER go into a fight thinking they are going to lose, of course every fighter goes in thinking they are going to win.
Tarver, Calazghe and Pavlik were fights that people thought Hopkins was going to lose.

I think you will find we actually agree strongly Fitz.

What I am saying is that no top fighter thinks they will lose & if they do then they should change career. The OP said Joe never took a fight he thought he would lose like it was a bad thing or insinuating that Joe ducked people.

QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 14 2008, 05:48 AM) [snapback]410915[/snapback]
Question...didnt DM lose to Julio Gonzalez, the dude that Roy dropped 3 times on his way to a UD?

A older more worn out version yeah. That does not change the fact that Roy refused to go & fight DM in Germany to claim his title as king of 175. I suppose you are the kind of cat who gives PBF a pass because of his "potential" though so that kind of behavious is OK.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 14 2008, 05:54 AM) [snapback]410916[/snapback]

What the fact that DM KO's Hall in 10 & Roy did it in 11?
BigG
The fact that DM struggled and was cut up and Roy basically did whatever he wanted to Hall for 11 rounds.

Why did DM fight Hall 2 times
BigG
DM was a overrated hack
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Nov 13 2008, 11:32 PM) [snapback]410911[/snapback]

You need to do some research and compare there opposition, it is not even close! You are just a straight up hater, simple as that.
JonnyBlaze
I told ya all this is the fight that had to happen..I'm just glad Glen is on the same page as me..No one would give Calzaghe a tougher time than Johnson right now if ya ask me..Dawson,maybe..Hopkins,maybe..I pick Johnson though based on style..He would be able to keep up with Calzaghe's pace and we'd probably get the best fight with Johnson than the other 2..
King Eugene
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 14 2008, 12:54 AM) [snapback]410916[/snapback]

LMAO...I was waiting on someone to get around to that. I just didnt want to say it cause it would have added more fuel to a few guys fire with their claim that I'm a Roy nutthugger. Ol well, the proof is in the pudding.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 14 2008, 03:04 AM) [snapback]410938[/snapback]
LMAO...I was waiting on someone to get around to that. I just didnt want to say it cause it would have added more fuel to a few guys fire with their claim that I'm a Roy nutthugger. Ol well, the proof is in the pudding.

Be careful when admitting to stuff like this..Guys might move ya up from nutthugger to nuttgobbler..
BigG
I also think Calzaghe-Johnson will never happen (Calzgahe doesnt want that type of fight at this point, high risk low reward) but I'd actually pick Calz by decision.
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 14 2008, 02:16 AM) [snapback]410943[/snapback]
Be careful when admitting to stuff like this..Guys might move ya up from nutthugger to nuttgobbler..

LMAO...now we dont want that.
The Original MrFactor
I see this as Calzaghe/Lacy II. Johnson just moves forward swing just like Jeff Lacy. Calzaghe will move backward throwing non stop straight shots, just like he did with Lacy. Johnson's face will be all puffed up by the end of a lopsided Calzaghe decision. I'd much rather see Dawson/Calzaghe. Dawson's got a much better shot to beat Calzaghe than Johnson.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Calzaghe fight Johnson, because its so winnable for him.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Nov 14 2008, 02:34 AM) [snapback]410952[/snapback]
I see this as Calzaghe/Lacy II. Johnson just moves forward swing just like Jeff Lacy. Calzaghe will move backward throwing non stop straight shots, just like he did with Lacy. Johnson's face will be all puffed up by the end of a lopsided Calzaghe decision. I'd much rather see Dawson/Calzaghe. Dawson's got a much better shot to beat Calzaghe than Johnson.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Calzaghe fight Johnson, because its so winnable for him.

Agreed! I'd like to see Glenn get a payday but I also think this is a safe fight for Slappy.

Glenn comes forward at a nice robotic pace and Slappy will just pick him off with a selection of fast two fisted slaps.

Glenn's big advanatges are:

1. He has an iron jaw. So what? That won't faze Slappy he's used to going 12 rounds.

2. Glenn has incredible stamina and is a fine pressure fighter, but he loses again because Slappy is perhaps the one guy in the division who can 'out stamina' Glenn and being a pressure fighter won't bother him the way it did Bad Chad.

Glenn is the guy that went THREE tough fights with Clinton Woods right? I loved his performance versues a relatively inexperienced Dawson (who I think eeked out the win) but that same shit won't work on the Slapmeister.

BigG
In terms of styles Chad is worse for Calzgahe because Chad is taller, has great hands and footwork and is a young fresh champion.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 14 2008, 05:12 AM) [snapback]410979[/snapback]
In terms of styles Chad is worse for Calzgahe because Chad is taller, has great hands and footwork and is a young fresh champion.

Yeah agreed. I think it's one of those interesting triangles that crops up in boxing.

Dawson beats Slappy (maybe even by a clean margin) Slappy defeats Johnson easy, Johnson gives Dawson hell.
D-MARV
LOL,
Calzage-Johnson would look nothing like Calzaghe-Lacy, are you guys kidding me?
Blayde
I agree Johnson defense is much more tight than Lacys, so I assume he wouldnt take around 1000 clean shots to his chin biggrin.gif But I also agree with the opinion that Calzaghe would be pretty comfortable with Johnson coming forward and that he would win a wide decision. Hed probably land a lot of shots on Johnsons gloves like Dawson did, but I think he would also land a lot of clean shots.

You dont have to be a great counterpuncher like Hopkins and Jones are to put Calzaghe down though, just ask Byron Mitchell wink.gif
KookedKrack
that slapping bitch wont fight him ......glen wasted his time writing that shit up
1zz
QUOTE(Blayde @ Nov 14 2008, 01:13 PM) [snapback]410987[/snapback]
I agree Johnson defense is much more tight than Lacys, so I assume he wouldnt take around 1000 clean shots to his chin biggrin.gif But I also agree with the opinion that Calzaghe would be pretty comfortable with Johnson coming forward and that he would win a wide decision. Hed probably land a lot of shots on Johnsons gloves like Dawson did, but I think he would also land a lot of clean shots.

You dont have to be a great counterpuncher like Hopkins and Jones are to put Calzaghe down though, just ask Byron Mitchell wink.gif

Yeah but it's getting him to stay down that's the trick.

What,you don't think BH and RJJ didn't try? LOL

Look what Mitchell got for his troubles
KookedKrack
1zz unless you are calslappy himself you need to take a step back and look at your life right now. All of your posts are defending a "man" that just got 2 decisions over men in their FORTIES (barely in Hopkins case). His resume is padded you know it, I know it, and so does anyone everyone else on this board.

*shakes head in disgust*

edit your sig is the shit tho olivia can get it
D-MARV
QUOTE(KookedKrack @ Nov 14 2008, 10:28 AM) [snapback]411008[/snapback]
1zz unless you are calslappy himself you need to take a step back and look at your life right now. All of your posts are defending a "man" that just got 2 decisions over men in their FORTIES (barely in Hopkins case). His resume is padded you know it, I know it, and so does anyone everyone else on this board.

*shakes head in disgust*

edit your sig is the shit tho olivia can get it

LOL...

I guess Calzaghe has done enough to have a few NutHuggers!
GMAN73
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Nov 13 2008, 10:11 PM) [snapback]410908[/snapback]

It seems like you are the one that doesn't have his facts straight: I went back and studied up on the top 5 contenders in the 168 pound division from 1999-2007(Ring Ratings in Boxrec.com), there are a lot of retreads but here are the names: Ottke, Byron Mitchell, Beyer, Brewer, Tate, Bruno Girard, Echols, Lucas, Kessler, Andrade, Mundine, Danny Green and Jeff Lacy.
Calzaghe beat Brewer, Kessler, Lacy and Mitchell. Plus Lacy and Kessler cleaned out the rest of the "challengers" before getting turned back by JC.

The list I provided is 100% factual, and You and I both know Ottke never wanted a piece of Cal.

Couple the above mentioned facts with B-Hop and RJJ's unwillingness to travel abroad and you have the situation we have now.

Joe's record is unblemished and his legacy is cemented! And he still has some work left. Stop being blind.
KookedKrack

LMFAO!

i got it all figured out all i need to do is beat on Ali dig up Ray Robinson's corpse slap it for 12 rounds and that would be enough to cement my legacy to some of you
GMAN73
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Nov 14 2008, 12:10 AM) [snapback]410923[/snapback]
You need to do some research and compare there opposition, it is not even close! You are just a straight up hater, simple as that.

You really seem to be the hater in this situation. RJJ was famous for avoiding tough fights, shit he still hasn't given Hopkins a rematch! And they met in 1993.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.