Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO: Taylor vs. Lacy-RBR/Postfight:9:15 CST (Spoilers 10:15 CST)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
For all the round by round and post fight reactions to the Taylor-Lacy fight on HBO. The first fight should be the taped rebroadcast of Calzaghe-Jones from last week's PPV.

Jack

Administrator
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Really starting to look forward to this one. I think it will be a great fight, and one not to miss. I still stick with my prediction of Lacy stopping him late. We'll see though.
King Eugene
Does anyone have a link to live stream?
The CEO
Lacy's trying...putting up a good effort....but he's gettin' cleaned as expected so far...he also got rocked and jumped on in the 3rd, and again here in the 4th...

He might get stopped within the next 2 rounds....

The CEO
Lacy gets spirited and shakes Taylor with an equi shot in the 5th....Taylor went down, but it was ruled a slip....I think Taylor's fine though....he may not go for the stoppage now...
Lil-lightsout
This ref is a joke. Is he ever going to warn Taylor for holding??? This is bullshit to watch.
The CEO
Yeah...Taylor is clinching way too much.......
Lil-lightsout
Yeah the fucking senile biased hbo crew say nothing at all about it. They are just riding JT's nuts.
The CEO
lol..no one is caring about this fight....had some good action here and there....Taylor could have stopped Lacy early but got shook by that shot to the back of his head and decided to box it out.....midway through the 11th, and Taylor is on his way to winning a clear UD....
Lil-lightsout
I thought Lacy was going to win, I was wrong. Taylor won the fight, Jeff looked like shit. But I have lost ALL respect for Taylor, he clinched and held the whole damn fight. He refused to fight on the inside. Is there not supposed to be inside fighting? Everytime Jeff is trying to work on the inside, JT holds like a bitch.The ref never said anything, and the most biased crew said nothing. They were too busy chearleading for 12 rounds about JT. Lacy needs to retire, or possibly get a new trainer to change up, which I have said since the Calzaghe fight.
The CEO
You know me, LL....I hate excessive/illegal/unwarranted holding as much as you do or more....from the mid rounds on, Taylor was completely guilty of holding like a bitch....one of the most cowardly tactics there is....
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Yea I was also wrong in this fight. It was tough to watch with Taylor holding the way through and the ref doing nothing. I thought Lacy stunned him a couple times in the fight like I thought he would, but he never could really follow up. Lacy won rounds 5 and 8, but Taylor won every other round. Taylor had a really nice jab, and in the early rounds moved around well. I thought for a second Taylor would take him out in the 4th, but Lacy proved his toughness once again. Taylor did well tonight for the most part. I don't think he beats Calzaghe, but he can be champ at 168. Lacy can still be a contender after tonight though. How bout a match between him and Librado Andrade. Talk about fireworks.
iron_mike
So...was Lacy just fighting crap to mediocre competition up til Joe? Was he truly damaged forever by Calzaghe? Is the shoulder bothering him? Maybe a little of all three? JT was constantly holding, but he looked alot better and more patient than usual. 2 losses and Lacy's career at 31 years old is over? I think that's a little drastic. Judah gets a new shot at boxing life after every loss. Jeff needs to change something and fight some bums like Roy did with Ajamu and Hanshaw ....I don't know maybe he is done. Sad cause he has explosive punching power and it seems like no one does these days. I can only think of 2 off the top of my head-Pacquiao and Darchinyan
JD
Jermain "The Quiet Man" Taylor.
Fitz
QUOTE(iron_mike @ Nov 16 2008, 05:21 PM) [snapback]411230[/snapback]
Sad cause he has explosive punching power and it seems like no one does these days. I can only think of 2 off the top of my head-Pacquiao and Darchinyan

That's probably why he was ordinary. Because he had explosive punching power. Everytime I saw him he was looking for the one shot, throwing a shot at the time.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(JD @ Nov 16 2008, 01:23 AM) [snapback]411232[/snapback]
Jermain "The Quiet Man" Taylor.

Is pissed as I am right now, that made me laugh pretty good.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 16 2008, 01:25 AM) [snapback]411233[/snapback]
That's probably why he was ordinary. Because he had explosive punching power. Everytime I saw him he was looking for the one shot, throwing a shot at the time.

Yeah, he is so predictable in there. It is like he has never progressed at all, he does the same thing over and over. It is like he just wants to only rely on his power all the time. Calzaghe definately exposed him, and he needs to change trainers and himself if he wants to get any better. I was always high on Jeff, kept giving him the benefit of the doubt, but he looks so limited in there and it is time for me to realize he is most likely finished.

Well atleast the posters on here saw all the holding by JT, I was not sure if I was overreacting. I still do not get how the ref did not warn JT, the HBO crew says nothing about it, and Jeff's corner never bitches to the ref about the excessive holding. What are the official rules that pertain to holding? Does anyone know?
The CEO
QUOTE(iron_mike @ Nov 16 2008, 01:21 AM) [snapback]411230[/snapback]
So...was Lacy just fighting crap to mediocre competition up til Joe? Was he truly damaged forever by Calzaghe? Is the shoulder bothering him? Maybe a little of all three? JT was constantly holding, but he looked alot better and more patient than usual. 2 losses and Lacy's career at 31 years old is over? I think that's a little drastic. Judah gets a new shot at boxing life after every loss. Jeff needs to change something and fight some bums like Roy did with Ajamu and Hanshaw ....I don't know maybe he is done. Sad cause he has explosive punching power and it seems like no one does these days. I can only think of 2 off the top of my head-Pacquiao and Darchinyan

Lacy was rushed into the Calzaghe fight....stepped right up into the Welsh Lion's Den....but it really doesn't matter...even if he had been groomed some more, there's pretty much no way he could have ever beaten Calzaghe....he's just too limited....he's basically heart and punching power with suspect chin....

and Calzaghe knew this....or he never would have fought him......just like he knew about limited Kessler....and just like he knew about Old Jones Junior....

I'll go ahead and give him a little credit for Hopkins....that was his riskiest matchup and best win......needless to say, he got dropped and barely won that one....
Big Slim Sweet
Lacy-Miranda could be fun. Or Lacy-Allan Greene. Otherwise I see Lacy's next big fight being as an opponent for maybe Ward or Dirrell.

Taylor still has another run in him. A fight with Kessler would be very interesting. SImilar styles, Kessler with beter technique, Taylor with more speed.
PR316
Taylor just lacks craft as a fighter. He's always gotten by on his size, hand speed, and decent punching power.

Last night was just further proof of that. Any fighter with a jab, is going to give Taylor serious hell. Lacy is even more limited than Taylor and the fact that JT didn't finish him shows that he's starting to go that John Ruiz route of just being cautious and staying out of harms way at all costs. I think excessive holding is not penalized enough. It was really bordering on that last night. I guess a KO loss like that will have that effect on you.

Maybe B-Hop might be interested in avenging his "losses" if there's nothing else out there, but I think the fight he really wants is Calzaghe. Possibly Dawson, if not likely.

I think Kessler stops Taylor. Too big, too strong, and better skilled. Kessler has a good solid jab and he would really keep Taylor at bay with it. The right hand would eventually get Taylor out of there.
JD
I would give Andrade a serious chance against Jermain Taylor. I could see him catching up to a tired Taylor late, and stopping him.
D-MARV
I haven't seen the fight yet but Im going to watch the replay here shortly!

I hear a lot of mixed reviews on JT's performance
neophyte7
Amazing: Now Lacy is trash, yet a few years ago people were infatuated with his physique and started saying that Hopkins would get mauled by him... he would beat Tarver... LOL--- Calzaghe delivered a serious ass whipping in what I say is the worse beating a black fighter ever suffered at the hands of a white fighter in my lifetime LOL (no racist shit, just some good ole reality talk)

Jeff Lacy is and was trash-- I saw it from Day one--- good chin, physique, but no skills--- at barely 30 he better get out before he goes out on a stretcher---

KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I ain't gonna lie, when Lacy was about to fight Calzaghe I thought he would take him out in the 2nd round. He's a limited fighter, who just isn't that fast. I still think he would be competitive against sluggers like Miranda and Andrade. Bute and Kessler would dominate him though. Lacy should stack up some wins against bums and lower level contenders. Then just hope Andrade is champ, and get another shot. Probably won't happen though.
MarzB
I've said it here and I'll say it again. Jeff Lacy was always hype although I did think he'd knock Calzaghe out.

I saw enough in that Omar Sheika figth and what Robin Reid was able to do early in their fight that Senor Muscle would be murdered against any boxer who stuck to a boxing game plan. Lacy is back on ESPN if he continues his career but I don't see the point, he'll have to undue a lot of flaws which I don't see him willing to do.

Manny gets on my nerves but he did make a great point last night about Lacy's build being a hinderance on him. I couldn't agree more but also he has average footwork, fights flat footed and has bad defense. All Taylor had to do was get his jab back which he did.

Easy fight, JT needed that win. Theres a lot of people at 168 NOT named Calzaghe I'd like to see Taylor against.

Kessler, Andradae, Bute are a few.
Mean Mister Mustard
Taylor gets beat by Kessler I think. If HBO is going to pin him against someone it's going to be against the guy who can make the most money and I bet HBO has a Calzaghe fight planned. And knowing Calzaghe I bet he has Taylor in his sights: Good money and exposure, he has two wins over Hopkins and he's not all that good. Perfect opportunity for Calzaghe.
MarzB
MMM

I got to believe that HBO which has taken a BEATING this year with their horrid matchmaking (or distribution as they say) and dismal PPV numbers that they're NOT going to make that (cal vs taylor) fight happen. I've read their budget for fights is going to be cut next year and Cal is still not a draw for their network.

Thats an easy fight for Cal and I don't think it motivates him.

Now the Kessler fight I disagree with that result. I see Kessler as a basic fighter. He does nothing outstanding, has normal speed, plodder, nothing spectacular in my eyes. Bute (he and Kessler would be a nice fight also) would be a better fight.

Marketing (local) wise, all these guys can sell out their arenas (Montreal, Copenhagen and Little Rock) and most of all these aren't mismatches.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(MarzB @ Nov 16 2008, 12:14 PM) [snapback]411287[/snapback]
MMM

I got to believe that HBO which has taken a BEATING this year with their horrid matchmaking (or distribution as they say) and dismal PPV numbers that they're NOT going to make that (cal vs taylor) fight happen. I've read their budget for fights is going to be cut next year and Cal is still not a draw for their network.

Thats an easy fight for Cal and I don't think it motivates him.

Now the Kessler fight I disagree with that result. I see Kessler as a basic fighter. He does nothing outstanding, has normal speed, plodder, nothing spectacular in my eyes. Bute (he and Kessler would be a nice fight also) would be a better fight.

Marketing (local) wise, all these guys can sell out their arenas (Montreal, Copenhagen and Little Rock) and most of all these aren't mismatches.

He was motivated for Jones and he was shot. Why was he motivated? Money and the name. Trust me, the guy can take on Peter Manfredo after gaining the super middleweight championship he can take on JT.

Kessler can be robotic if he's ordinary then what does that make Taylor? Kessler gave Calzaghe a very tough fight and he was still firing with two fists in the 12th round. The guy has good combos, stamina and power. I think JT could hang in there with him but the later rounds would be the difference.

that being said, apart from Taylor I don't know who else HBO would be interested in at 168.
MarzB
the guy can take on Peter Manfredo after gaining the super middleweight championship he can take on JT.

LOL, you make a point. Isn't it funny in hindsight how that fight was made with someone as average as Manfredo,lol? Wait a minute, Manfredo gave Lacy all he could handle,lol The jokes write themselves.

I'm still not a Cal fan but I see definitely see him as a style problem for 90% of most boxers. Stamina isn't one of JT's best suits either and one thing Cal can always bank is that and his workrate.

While typing this in thinking of some of HBO's horrible decisions I guess I'm agreeing with you because they think both have "NAMES". If this fight were made to be held in Wales I could see the fight happening. Loss #3 on JT's resume..
dbdbdb
A boxer will beat Lacy 9 out of 10 times.

He has not improved since the Calslappy beating and shows no signs of progress. I think Taylor could have beaten him worst - but friendship may have came into play. Lacy should find an outlet other than boxing, his confidence is non-existent. If ever in the anals of history where one fight changed the fighter, it will be the Calslappy\Lacy fight. Lacey left more than his belts in New England -- he left his soul and shows no signs of recovery.

JT was holding alot - but I think it was because Lacy was charging in head down. In any case, I can say that JT did show some improvement {With the exception of all the holding}. The combinations were clean and his timing was pretty good.

JT - Still has a future in boxing and may be a good competitor.

Lacy - Shows a lack of progress and is on his way to becoming a good name to have on your resume, i.e. Stepping Stone.

Fight between: JT vs Lacy = 6 of 10 {OK but boring}
D-MARV
I think Jermain Taylor looked good against Lacy. I only gave Lacy the 5th round (and I agree with the non called knockdown).

I look for JT to challenge the winner of Froch-Pascal!
JonnyBlaze
I told ya all it'd be a good fight..I really enjoyed the fight..Taylor impressed me a lot and the lay off was what he needed after Pavlik..He was a little rusty like he said but he is throwing better combos,using his jab more,and is a lot better defensively now..Lacy isn't the same but I liked what he was trying to do..He just wasn't tall enough and his reach wasn't long enough to compete well with Taylor..Taylor was good at keeping it on the outside with his jab but when Lacy got on the inside he landed some good bombs on Taylor,that he took real well..
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 16 2008, 02:02 PM) [snapback]411304[/snapback]
I think Jermain Taylor looked good against Lacy. I only gave Lacy the 5th round (and I agree with the non called knockdown).

I look for JT to challenge the winner of Froch-Pascal!

If Froch wins (which I'm hoping he will), how do you think a fight between Taylor - Froch plays out?
D-MARV
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Nov 16 2008, 07:32 PM) [snapback]411350[/snapback]
If Froch wins (which I'm hoping he will), how do you think a fight between Taylor - Froch plays out?

e on the very limited footage Ive seen on Froch and the fact that Taylor has fought much tougher comp... I will go with JT by UD...
pending on how Froch does against Pascal I may have a change of heart! I know that Froch is slick and has decent power... but Taylor may be too big and strong for Froch
JD
Give me Froch.

I think he would make Taylor fight nervous in there.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Nov 16 2008, 09:26 PM) [snapback]411364[/snapback]
Give me Froch.

I think he would make Taylor fight nervous in there.

Why would he be nervous?
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 16 2008, 09:32 PM) [snapback]411365[/snapback]
Why would he be nervous?

Because when Taylor sees heat that gets there quicker then he expects...or if you force him to back up, he gets nervous - and I think that his initial confidence would be dented when he actually got in there with Froch who can jab, is accurate, punches well, and times people with that right hand with some success. He is not afraid to trade when the time is right either.

I don't think Froch is special, but he is long, a little awkward, and could make JT uncomfortable.
D-MARV
Ok I see, but this can also play to JT's advantage! When he feels threatend he fights back. And personally from what I have seen from Froch, I think JT may be able to Overwhelm Froch. But Before Im certain I need to see some more film on Froch.
JD
It could.

I would like to see the fight...I just think I lean toward Froch.

Maybe Taylor's athleticism bothers him...but I think when we got to the 8th or 9th round, and Froch was still there, you would see that fade. Who knows...
D-MARV
Im not knocking Froch at all... He seems to have some legit skills.

Another thing that bothers me is that Froch leaves his hands dangerously low and has a tendency of throwing lazy jabs. JT could counter over the top and hurt froch. But it will definitely be interesting.
JD
Yeah...Froch keeps the right hand ready, with both hands low.

Taylor could shoot the right...but I think Froch would be more likely to shoot his when Taylor pulls that jab back low.
BigG
Lacy could never hang with a boxer like JT...

JD, would you pick Jermain Taylor over any named fighter from 160-175 lol
JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 16 2008, 10:24 PM) [snapback]411385[/snapback]
Lacy could never hang with a boxer like JT...

JD, would you pick Jermain Taylor over any named fighter from 160-175 lol

Hmmmmm...

I took him over Lacy. I would probably take him over Bute. I would take him over Dirrell. I might take him over Tarver. I might take him over Roy.
PR316
Hopefully Roy comes to his senses soon enough.

I'm not too sure of Taylor really making any serious noise at 168, honestly. We'll have to wait and see.

Taylor vs Dirrell would be a good one though, and I do think Taylor could pull that one off.
Nay_Sayer
Taylor v Ward?
BigG
One guy I don't think Taylor can beat is Joe Calzgahe. Calzgahe would win a UD - 7-5/8-4.

But I think him and Kessler would make for an awesome fight.
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 17 2008, 03:06 AM) [snapback]411407[/snapback]
One guy I don't think Taylor can beat is Joe Calzgahe. Calzgahe would win a UD - 7-5/8-4.

But I think him and Kessler would make for an awesome fight.

Kesler Vs Taylor would be a great fight.
JD
Give me Kessler all day.
Mean Mister Mustard
After being heavily hyped in Quebec, Jean Pascal has fallen off the earth after looking mediocre against Pittman. Before that he was wobbled against some beefed up but slow dude. It remains to be seen whether this was because of amateurish mistaked or whether like AMir Khan the guy has no chin. Froch is the perfect man to tell us.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.