Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seriously...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
Does MMA have anything on this?

The CEO
Bonnar-Griffin I is better.....lol

On the real....if I could only put 5 fights in a time capsule...this would be one of them.
D-MARV
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Nov 18 2008, 11:43 AM) [snapback]411664[/snapback]
Bonnar-Griffin I is better.....lol

On the real....if I could only put 5 fights in a time capsule...this would be one of them.

This fight is one of my favs too. Did you hear how excited Manny Steward was getting? He was obviously pulling for James Toney!
PUERTOROCKS
Smoger is the best Ref in the Buisness no joke. He lets fighters fight not like gas ass Nady.

Anyone who thinks Boxing is not the best sport in the world should watch this. Or Corrales/Castillo Gatti/Ward Bowe/Holyfield Marquez/Vasques Trinidad/Vargas I could go on all day!!!!!!
Al Hata

Love it.
BigG
You have to give Jirov almighty props for balls...he threw a shit load of punches and tried to overwhelm James and he didn't back up for 1 second...but he was getting busted up with clean counters. James Toney eats pressure fighters
Big Slim Sweet
Awesome fight. Awesome finish. Obviously this is boxing at its very best, where no other sport in the world can touch it.

It's a shame Larry wasn't there that night. He was always a huge James Toney fan going back to the beginning of JT's career. If I recall he was officially off due to his 'daughter graduating college' or something like that, but the real reason I think was that he was noticeably hammered on the air a couple of weeks earlier. His post fight interview would have been fantastic, unlike the crap one Lampley was forced to do in which he couldn't hear Toney and got annoyed when James started issuing threats to Chris Byrd nearby.
Big Slim Sweet
Also wanted to say, it would have been fascinating to see had there been 30 more seconds left whether James could have finished Jirov. I think he would have. But it's almost better that it was left ambiguous this way. Jirov fought his heart out and deserved to be standing at the final bell.
pcraw
The only problem is for every Jirov/Toney fight we get we get 3-5 Hopkins/Calzaghe's. I still love boxing, but simply put most fights do not live up to the hype in boxing. If you look at this list that guys are putting up most of the fights are from the late 90's early 00's. I would watch Couture/Lesnar 50 times before I watched Klitschko/Ibragimov again!
D-MARV
QUOTE(pcraw @ Nov 18 2008, 01:38 PM) [snapback]411681[/snapback]
The only problem is for every Jirov/Toney fight we get we get 3-5 Hopkins/Calzaghe's. I still love boxing, but simply put most fights do not live up to the hype in boxing. If you look at this list that guys are putting up most of the fights are from the late 90's early 00's. I would watch Couture/Lesnar 50 times before I watched Klitschko/Ibragimov again!

Im sorry man... I watched Lesnar-Coutue and they just didn't do it for me... They spent 60% of the time against the cage!
pcraw
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 18 2008, 04:08 PM) [snapback]411694[/snapback]
Im sorry man... I watched Lesnar-Coutue and they just didn't do it for me... They spent 60% of the time against the cage!

Lol! Whatever floats your boat bro, but it's no different than Roy laying on the ropes for 8 rounds or Klitschko slapping someone's jab down an entire fight. I love the scientific fighters in boxing like, James Toney, Mayweather and Hopkins, but the chancing of guys getting submitted or koed in an MMA event is more highly than a highly anticipated boxing match ending in dramatic fashion. It's almost like they make that silent agreement backstage that Teddy Atlas always talk about to just put on a glorified sparring match. What was the last high profile fight you watched where someone was koed? Dawson/Tarver? Jones/Calzaghe? Pavlik/Hopkins? I understand every great fight doesn't end by KO, but every fight I just named turned out to be horrible mis-matches. With the exception of Margarito and Cotto I really can't think of any other fight. I love Paul Williams and his fight anybody mentality and I think that's what boxing is lacking, but unlike MMA everyone will duck him and he'll have a hard time finding fights.
D-MARV
I love the scientific fighters in boxing like, James Toney, Mayweather and Hopkins, but the chancing of guys getting submitted or koed in an MMA event is more highly than a highly anticipated boxing match ending in dramatic fashion.
Thats True!

"I understand every great fight doesn't end by KO"- You answered you own arguement!

With the exception of Margarito and Cotto I really can't think of any other fight

Cotto-Margarito
Pacquiao-Marquez
Marquez-Vasquez III
Nate Campbell-Juan Diaz
Marquez-Casamayor
Casamayor-Katsidas
Johnson-Dawson

These are just a few fights I think off the top of my head that were great fights and highly anticipated!

Another thing I hate abouot MMA is when someone gets rocked or hurt, they can just grab and hold and there is no breaks! Thats Crazy. Couture was hurt by a punch in the first round and he just grabbed Lesnar and they sat up against the cage for nearly a whole minute! That just does not cut it for me... As I said before, I respect MMA... They hae some true warriors and Im aware of that. But as far as watching it... Give me a low-profile boxing match all day long!
thisneverworks
QUOTE(pcraw @ Nov 18 2008, 05:45 PM) [snapback]411704[/snapback]
I love Paul Williams and his fight anybody mentality and I think that's what boxing is lacking, but unlike MMA everyone will duck him and he'll have a hard time finding fights.

While I agree, I think that speaks more to the fact that MMA is more structured that boxing. The UFC right now is where are all the best fighters are and they function as the sole promoter for their fights so they can match up whoever they want against each other and nobody can say a word (has benefits and advantages). If boxing was setup the same, you would see everybody fighting each other.

Boxing is so fractured with the belts, promoters, and everything else that its own practices hinder growth.
Douchebag
I just like skilled punching........In MMA you rarely see it.
pcraw
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 18 2008, 05:11 PM) [snapback]411708[/snapback]
Thats True!

"I understand every great fight doesn't end by KO"- You answered you own arguement!
Cotto-Margarito
Pacquiao-Marquez
Marquez-Vasquez III
Nate Campbell-Juan Diaz
Marquez-Casamayor
Casamayor-Katsidas
Johnson-Dawson

These are just a few fights I think off the top of my head that were great fights and highly anticipated!

Another thing I hate abouot MMA is when someone gets rocked or hurt, they can just grab and hold and there is no breaks! Thats Crazy. Couture was hurt by a punch in the first round and he just grabbed Lesnar and they sat up against the cage for nearly a whole minute! That just does not cut it for me... As I said before, I respect MMA... They hae some true warriors and Im aware of that. But as far as watching it... Give me a low-profile boxing match all day long!

Didn't really answer my own argument because you didn't post my entire quote. Every fight doesn't have to end by knockout, but I really don't want to watch Roy Jones, Pavlik and Tarver win a total of 5 rounds on the official judges scorecards out of 36 rounds of boxing in these so called "Huge fights." I hate to sound like I hate boxing because that's far from true, but it's just funny to me that boxing fans are content with paying $50 for 1 fight that rarely lives up to the hype. December 6th you guys will be watching another huge mis-match in my opinion. Zab Judah was 1-3 in his last 4 and he was the co-main event. The reason that it bothers you bro that they can hold on is because you're watching MMA as if you were watching boxing. If there wasn't clinching, striking, wrestling and Jiu Jitsu it wouldn't be mixed martial arts. The fights you named above is the reson I still tune in to boxing, but I definitely couldn't name you one fight from the undercards. Have GB named the DLH/Pacman undercard yet?
D-MARV
QUOTE(pcraw @ Nov 18 2008, 05:44 PM) [snapback]411734[/snapback]
Didn't really answer my own argument because you didn't post my entire quote. Every fight doesn't have to end by knockout, but I really don't want to watch Roy Jones, Pavlik and Tarver win a total of 5 rounds on the official judges scorecards out of 36 rounds of boxing in these so called "Huge fights." I hate to sound like I hate boxing because that's far from true, but it's just funny to me that boxing fans are content with paying $50 for 1 fight that rarely lives up to the hype. December 6th you guys will be watching another huge mis-match in my opinion. Zab Judah was 1-3 in his last 4 and he was the co-main event. The reason that it bothers you bro that they can hold on is because you're watching MMA as if you were watching boxing. If there wasn't clinching, striking, wrestling and Jiu Jitsu it wouldn't be mixed martial arts. The fights you named above is the reson I still tune in to boxing, but I definitely couldn't name you one fight from the undercards. Have GB named the DLH/Pacman undercard yet?

You sound like your getting upset with the politcis of Boxing! It's true the boxing "Polictics" has watered down the sport but when it comes down to the "art" I'll watch Boxing all day! MOre exciting in my opinion!

Percy, I know you are a huge boxing fan, so you dont sound like a hater at all. It's just your preference. Fair Enough
pcraw
True, true, true! Lol! Yeah, I just wonder how the Hagler's and the Holmes' feel about the sport today, you know?
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 18 2008, 12:56 PM) [snapback]411673[/snapback]
James Toney eats pressure fighters

replace "pressure fighters", with "a lot of cheeseburgers" and you would also have a correct statement
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Nov 18 2008, 11:40 PM) [snapback]411760[/snapback]
replace "pressure fighters", with "a lot of cheeseburgers" and you would also have a correct statement

We need the Toney McGorilla face to make a cameo.
BrutalBodyShots
One thing the commentators don't even mention is the money punch that Toney landed that actually did Jirov in. Sure Jirov was lit up and dazed by 4-5 left hooks and a right hand to start things off... but it was that left to the body that totally took away Jirov's legs and allowed Toney to put him down. He threw that body shot at just the right time since Jirov was pawing with the right.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I'll admit to some bias here James toney is my favourite fighter, period.

When I think of his era I think of him, Roy and Nard, probably because they all fought around the same weight classes for a while.

He had the speed and power of Roy and the defensive powess, ring smarts and heart of Nard.

Out those 3 I truly believe he had the best skill set. His career is a tragedy in that there were definately times when he went missing during fights and definately times when he went missing in between fight, the guy never saw a Burger King he didn't like.

I would call him a Judah type fighter full of potential and 'what if's' but he is on a far superior level to anything Judah ever achieved.

When it's all said and done fans will say that James only acheived about 50% of what he should've achieved, but he still managed to win world titles in 3 (almost 4) weight classes, won the Ring magazine fighter of the year twice and I believe was most people's p4p just before the Jones jnr fight.

It frightens me to think what he could have accomplished if he had really dedicated himself.

When James was in the zone he had such a crowd pleasing style, although like Bernard he was very defensively savvy unlike Bernard he was much more prepared to stand right in the pocket and trade with guys, and right up to 190 pounds he had good power.

Man if he had managed to keep his weight off HE could've been the one stepping into the ring with cal-Slappy whose slappy style I think would've been tailor made for James.

Still at least I've got this fight of James taking out some eurotrash (actually I give Jirov his props for the punishment he took in this one) and a fine example of how when boxing's good, it's the best.

D-MARV
QUOTE(pcraw @ Nov 18 2008, 06:19 PM) [snapback]411754[/snapback]
True, true, true! Lol! Yeah, I just wonder how the Hagler's and the Holmes' feel about the sport today, you know?

Hagler wouldn't put up with that sh*t! He still be a warrior. He would be how Glen Johnson is now except he be knockin dudes the f*ck out!

Holmes.. I can see him going for the dollars... But then again he would dominate the Heavyweight division if he were to fight today! (prime)
D-MARV
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 18 2008, 07:04 PM) [snapback]411768[/snapback]
One thing the commentators don't even mention is the money punch that Toney landed that actually did Jirov in. Sure Jirov was lit up and dazed by 4-5 left hooks and a right hand to start things off... but it was that left to the body that totally took away Jirov's legs and allowed Toney to put him down. He threw that body shot at just the right time since Jirov was pawing with the right.

YESSIR!!!!

That body shot was a thing of beauty!
D-MARV
And to go with that "classic" fight is a "classic" interview... Despite Jim Lampley being a total doofus!

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Jim Lampley looked like he was gonna pee his pants.

I love that interview. James has said the funniest things down the years amongst them, "I'm the king of John Madden.' Classic alright.
The CEO
I would LOVE to play Madden against Toney....headsets on and everything....he'd probably whoop my ass 'cause I'm not the best at it...but the shit talking would be EPIC.

I'd tell him he looks like a meatball with feet....tell him he was shaped like a stepmother...all kinds of shit he's never heard before....I KNOW I could make him laugh...

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Nov 18 2008, 08:11 PM) [snapback]411773[/snapback]
I'll admit to some bias here James toney is my favourite fighter, period.

When I think of his era I think of him, Roy and Nard, probably because they all fought around the same weight classes for a while.

He had the speed and power of Roy and the defensive powess, ring smarts and heart of Nard.

Out those 3 I truly believe he had the best skill set. His career is a tragedy in that there were definately times when he went missing during fights and definately times when he went missing in between fight, the guy never saw a Burger King he didn't like.

I would call him a Judah type fighter full of potential and 'what if's' but he is on a far superior level to anything Judah ever achieved.

When it's all said and done fans will say that James only acheived about 50% of what he should've achieved, but he still managed to win world titles in 3 (almost 4) weight classes, won the Ring magazine fighter of the year twice and I believe was most people's p4p just before the Jones jnr fight.

It frightens me to think what he could have accomplished if he had really dedicated himself.

When James was in the zone he had such a crowd pleasing style, although like Bernard he was very defensively savvy unlike Bernard he was much more prepared to stand right in the pocket and trade with guys, and right up to 190 pounds he had good power.

Man if he had managed to keep his weight off HE could've been the one stepping into the ring with cal-Slappy whose slappy style I think would've been tailor made for James.

Still at least I've got this fight of James taking out some eurotrash (actually I give Jirov his props for the punishment he took in this one) and a fine example of how when boxing's good, it's the best.

Nice post. He is easily my favorite fighter ever too. I get very frustrated just imagining even more he could have accomplished if he had the eating and training habits of say a Mayweather or Hopkins. Talking the greatest of all time.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Nov 19 2008, 02:44 AM) [snapback]411796[/snapback]
I'd tell him he looks like a meatball with feet....tell him he was shaped like a stepmother...all kinds of shit he's never heard before....I KNOW I could make him laugh...

Or make him get his "gun" out of his gym bag.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 18 2008, 12:35 PM) [snapback]411663[/snapback]
Does MMA have anything on this?

NO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.