Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jones & Calz think rematch is in order
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Method
Man, a few interesting headlines floating around out there...

Roy and Joe Talking Rematch...Jones continues to swear up and down the ONLY reason he lost was because of the cut, and continues to think he;s a star, despite anemic PPV numbers.

Jeff Lacy wants us to rewatch his fight with Taylor with the volume turned off, as he think he won...

Tarver says if he loses against Dawson in a rematch he'll retire...

And Winky has entered the Joe Calz Sweepstakes...

...oh, and Captain Jack Mosley is pimpin a new sports supplement, MaxGL
D-MARV
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 19 2008, 05:14 AM) [snapback]411823[/snapback]

Roy and Joe Talking Rematch...Jones continues to swear up and down the ONLY reason he lost was because of the cut, and continues to think he;s a star, despite anemic PPV numbers.

Jeff Lacy wants us to rewatch his fight with Taylor with the volume turned off, as he think he won...

In another thread I was defending boxing against MMA! Kind of hard when $hit like this goes down
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
To quote Antonio Tarver (I know, I know) Roy needs to stop smoking those ground up chicken feathers.

I'd say Jeff Lacy obviously came round for a puff as well.

I can but only pray that Dawson spanks Tarver again but I have the feeling that even were he to lose Tarver will think up an excuse to haul his sorry ass back into the ring again. Hey I won't mind too much as long as they keep doing those cutaways to Mrs Tarver.

BTW didn't Monte Barett promise to quit if he lost to Haye? Didn't I see him somewhere on the internet saying this was do or die? Oh well probably after talking with his advisor he has found a way forward.

Wait for next week I'm sure Winky will probably throw himself into the Pacman sweepstakes, y'know he likes to follow the crowd.

And Capt. Jack bearing his soul on the Mosley's most hated website. Geez I wouldn't have wanted to be around Jin when she read that, that woman can turn the air blue with her potty mouth.

Should be an interesting Christmas for the Mosley's. Not sure the internet is the best place to air family grievances but I did enjoy him pimping that new supplement HARD! I can just see Jack going door to door in his neighbourhood pushing that stuff on to the local kids. LOL.

And if Slappy evens remotely attempts to back up Roy in this rematch then the hatewagon will rise to new and spectacular levels.
blackbelt2003
Boy, how I'm looking forwards to 2009.

That was sarcasm.

Black
Lil-lightsout
Everyone knows the cut is not the reason he lost, though I am sure it did bother him alot in the late rounds and MAYBE he might have opened up more IF he was able to. If they want to rematch,does not matter to me, just shows how much of a fraud Joe is. Then it will be on free tv, and atleast I don't have to waste my money on it again.I seriously doubt Joe would take this fight, he would catch major heat for doing it. And unless he would KO Roy, he is not going to put on a better performance than he did in the first fight.

I used to love Lacy, but there is no way he won that fight, and I can not stand that pussy Taylor. That bitch held Lacy all fucking night, and that stupid ref and biased HBO crew says nothing. Fucking politics of boxing, what if the roles were reversed and a certain fighter would have been holding the "HBO Fighter" all night. They would have been screaming about it from the start. Also, if Lacy wants to improve, he seriously needs a new trainer and some new training habits. He should go train with Bernard Hopkins.

Screw you Tarver, you just had your shot and you blew it. It is not our fault you threw pitter pat punches most of the fight, or your stamina sucked. Dawson whooped your ass, get over it. Get back in line.

Please let me hope there is NEVER a Wright-Calzaghe fight, how boring that would be.

Well maybe these supplements will now help Jack remember what round it is.
JD
This makes me even more convinced Calzaghe carried Roy and did not get him out of there late, when he could have.

How the first fight could warrant a rematch is beyond mea better case could have been made for Lewis Golota II.
PR316
I don't see how it warrants a rematch. I wanted Roy to win but he just can't at this point. And there's nothing he could do differently should there be a next time.

This is as bad as Tarver rematching Dawson if not worse. We'd minus well see Mayweather-Hatton 2 while we're at it.
MarzB
All of those are ridiculous but whats wrong with Winky and Calzaghe??

Achille
No doubt Roy has some serious denial, lol. The fight will not be no different especially if he fights like he did the first fight by not taking any chances going to the body. He only fought one good round in the 1st, other then that he was scared to engage. If he going to continue to fight he needs a new trainer and corner, Coach Merk is ok but to let Roy believe he was winning all those rounds is a disgrace, same thing happen in the Johnson fight. He needs a trainer that is going to tell him the truth about the situation and not just be a yes man about it. I feel he should retire for real though.
streetlion1
I really hope they are not serious about this!

Jones needs to retire and Calzaghe needs to fight someone who'll actually offer a challenge like B-Hop..Dawson...or even Jermain Taylor.

The problem with Winky v.s. Calzaghe is that Wink has no legs left whatsoever. I like Wink and I know he'll always have great defense but could easily see him getting out-worked for all 12 rounds against JC and not really landing much in return.

I would like to see Winky fight Taylor again though.

Mean Mister Mustard
Wright hasn't used his legs for years now. He relies on his defense and jab to push his opponents around. If he's not shot he could very well beat Calzaghe. The Hopkins-Wright and Calzaghe-Hopkins fights were both very similar. Both put pressure on the old man which forced him to hold more than usual. The difference was that Calzaghe had faster hands and feet than Wright. Plus better stamina. But Wright likes to cover up and stick that jab between your punches. It creates a bit of a Rat experiment effect. The rat touches the cheese which is connected to electrodes and receives a shock. After a while it learns not to touch the cheese. Same thing with Wright, guys hit that shield of his and eat jabs in return. Most learn that it is futile to pierce his guard and Wright allows them to go 12 rounds. It takes GOOD fighters to beat Wright. Hopkins used a lot of movement and clinches to offset Wright and the fight was close.

All rh this to say that Calzaghe would have to be throwing ALL the time like Soliman did and at the same time evade Wright's counters. Wright would also be able to get on the inside and remain there, something no Calzaghe foe has done up until now.
mexi-cutioner
Please, no more Jones vs Calzaghe....i can't stand to watch Roy take another beating...

And as for Winky vs Calzaghe, I'd be down to see that fight (televised that is), but my official verdict on that would be determined after Winky's next fight to see how shot he is, i d'nt wanna see another legend past his prime beat down my Fraud CalSlappy
Maxy
Surely the TV companies won't put their weight behind a rematch?

It's even more pointless than the first fight and nobody wants to see it.
JonnyBlaze
I think after hearing this,I have to join the Calzaghe hate wagon..
D-MARV
I can give you guys "10,000,000" reasons why Calzaghe would take the rematch!

"Easy MOney"
Maxy
Like I just said on another thread. Haven't heard or read any mention of this over here. Prior to the first fight they did talk about doing a rematch in Wales but I can't see it happening. Nobody is interested.

Joe said he'll make his decision as to whether he will retire or not after Christmas.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(MarzB @ Nov 19 2008, 04:07 PM) [snapback]411845[/snapback]
All of those are ridiculous but whats wrong with Winky and Calzaghe??

If you could name even the slightest reason Winky deserves a fight with Joe C I would be interested.

Roy for all his flaws brought a big name & fanbase. Winky has neither & really should be pumpin gas or selling records.

I suppose the question is really people bag out Brock Lesnar for getting a shot at the title yet a bum like Jones gets a shot at Calzaghe without beating a contender & no one seems to mind.

mexi-cutioner
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Nov 19 2008, 03:01 PM) [snapback]411928[/snapback]
If you could name even the slightest reason Winky deserves a fight with Joe C I would be interested.

Roy for all his flaws brought a big name & fanbase. Winky has neither & really should be pumpin gas or selling records.

I suppose the question is really people bag out Brock Lesnar for getting a shot at the title yet a bum like Jones gets a shot at Calzaghe without beating a contender & no one seems to mind.

Looking at everythign Jones has accomplished in his career, I don't think anyone has the right to call him a bum, over the hill maybe, but he's no bum, never was, never will be. Difference between Jones and Lesnar was Lesnar started fighitn in the ufc what like a year ago???3 fights into his career hes already getting a shot at the title whereas Jones has been fighitng professionally for nearly 2 decades, has beaten the best, won titles in weightclasses from middle to heavy and deserves atleast one last shot in an attempt to relive greatness (similar to Morales' "last fight" vs David Diaz for the lightweight title)
BigG
Difference is, Brock Lesnar was 1-1 in the UFC..Jones, as shot as he is, is a legend.
Spyder
Winky might be the one guy that could make Calzaghe look bad.

His defense could pick off all of Joe's shots, and he could just sit there and counter all night.

Winky UD12
buford54
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Nov 19 2008, 06:01 PM) [snapback]411928[/snapback]

"Deserving" a fight w/ Joe is not a deciding factor in whether that fight will happen or not.
It can be strongly argued that 98% of Joe's career has been against fighters who did not "deserve" a fight with him.
Roy Jones surely didn't "deserve" a fight with him (coming off of 3 mediocre-at-best wins and 3 subsequent losses, 2 by brutal knockout).
The deciding factors for Joe seem to be in this order:

1. Will I still be undefeated when the fight is over?
2. Will this name look impressive on my resume 15 years from now when people have forgotten that they are past their prime?
3. Will I make a lot of money?

As far as money...Joe spent his entire career making plenty of money without the major TV networks putting any money into it. If Roy goes to Wales to fight Joe, they'll both make a mint.

As far as the Winky fight...horrible fight. Joe slapping Winky's gloves for 12 rounds, getting a UD. Winky looked horrible at 170. Why would he look good at 175? It's worthless. Winky is coming off a loss to a guy that Joe just got a W over. His name has little/no luster to it right now.

But, as I just argued, if Joe thinks he'll win it and it will look good in 15 years...he may well take it.

Method
QUOTE(Spyder @ Nov 20 2008, 07:52 AM) [snapback]412034[/snapback]
Winky might be the one guy that could make Calzaghe look bad.

His defense could pick off all of Joe's shots, and he could just sit there and counter all night.

Winky UD12

You are fucking HIGH!

Winky will turtle up, Joe will just start letting fly like he's on his pitty pat, rapid fire device, and the fight will be stopped pronto. Wink won't have a mark on him, but it will be called. Just like the Manfredo fight. Plus, Winky handles the weight like complete shit. Him and his Krispy Kreme eating ass.
Spyder
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 20 2008, 09:28 AM) [snapback]412039[/snapback]
You are fucking HIGH!

Winky will turtle up, Joe will just start letting fly like he's on his pitty pat, rapid fire device, and the fight will be stopped pronto. Wink won't have a mark on him, but it will be called. Just like the Manfredo fight. Plus, Winky handles the weight like complete shit. Him and his Krispy Kreme eating ass.

Are you joking?

Not even Jay Nady would stop a fight with Winky picking off shots...you're right about how the action would go, but Winky wouldn't just block...he'd counter those slaps with his own feather fisted shots. Neither fighter will get marked up, but Wink will land the ONLY clean punches in the fight.

Both fighters will exchange smiles with each other, the crowd will become restless, and Winky will win the fight...or get robbed of the victory and Joe will be given the draw.
D-MARV
Joe would handle Winky...

Joe on Activity! 116-112
Boxingjunkie
Cant believe nobody is talking about the fight we all want to see???? Calzaghe vs. Hopkins II!!! OK maybe not the fight everyone WANTS to see but with the way Hopkins looked against Pavlik I cant believe there isnt more talk about a rematch at this point. Not exactly the fight I would like to see for Joe next. Joe really needs to prove himself against Dawson. Or even Glen Johnson. Not Jones again.
alaganza
Covering up and allowing Calzaghe to move punch is a great way to make him look bad.

Look how well it worked for Manfredo. black eye.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE(Boxingjunkie @ Nov 23 2008, 12:18 AM) [snapback]412447[/snapback]
Cant believe nobody is talking about the fight we all want to see???? Calzaghe vs. Hopkins II!!! OK maybe not the fight everyone WANTS to see but with the way Hopkins looked against Pavlik I cant believe there isnt more talk about a rematch at this point. Not exactly the fight I would like to see for Joe next. Joe really needs to prove himself against Dawson. Or even Glen Johnson. Not Jones again.

They are talking about whats actually possible, not what makes sense for boxing. In other words this is all about Joe Calzaghe.
buford54
The only fights that would look good for Joe at this point are fights that he wouldn't make.

Glen Johnson: Joe won't fight him. He'll say, "He needs to finish his business with Clinton Woods first." Frankly, it's too much risk, too little reward...the story of Glen Johnson's career.

Chad Dawson: It's a fight that appeals to us fans now, but IF Joe beat Chad convincingly, we'd all be saying that Chad was green and that he really only had one good win over a faded Tarver. So Joe won't fight him.

The only rematch that makes any sense is Hopkins. Roy simply wants another payday for not getting knocked out.

The thing that speaks the most to me is that Joe isn't getting this "charge" to come to the states and fight "the best" until 5-6 years after they are past their prime. Now that Hopkins and Jones have each lost a few times, he's willing to take his chances so that he actually has some recognizeable name on his record once he's retired.

I just hope he realizes that he has now given Roy Jones his 4th legitimate loss (5th if you count Griffin) and Hopkins his 4th as well. It would have looked a lot better if he had given them each their 2nd.

Especially when he's making comments about "American fighters not being as good as they think they are."
How would he know?

caneman
QUOTE(buford54 @ Nov 25 2008, 08:33 AM) [snapback]412852[/snapback]
The only fights that would look good for Joe at this point are fights that he wouldn't make.

Glen Johnson: Joe won't fight him. He'll say, "He needs to finish his business with Clinton Woods first." Frankly, it's too much risk, too little reward...the story of Glen Johnson's career.

Chad Dawson: It's a fight that appeals to us fans now, but IF Joe beat Chad convincingly, we'd all be saying that Chad was green and that he really only had one good win over a faded Tarver. So Joe won't fight him.

The only rematch that makes any sense is Hopkins. Roy simply wants another payday for not getting knocked out.

The thing that speaks the most to me is that Joe isn't getting this "charge" to come to the states and fight "the best" until 5-6 years after they are past their prime. Now that Hopkins and Jones have each lost a few times, he's willing to take his chances so that he actually has some recognizeable name on his record once he's retired.

I just hope he realizes that he has now given Roy Jones his 4th legitimate loss (5th if you count Griffin) and Hopkins his 4th as well. It would have looked a lot better if he had given them each their 2nd.

Especially when he's making comments about "American fighters not being as good as they think they are."
How would he know?

I agree with this buford, the truth is we will never know how good calslappy is/was...while I would love to see Roid bleed all over the place again, if he isn't going to rematch Hopkins, fight Dawson or Glen Johnson then he can go join PBF & maybe they can have a circle jerk to their own fight poster cool.gif
JonnyBlaze
Glen Johnson/Calzaghe needs to happen!!This would be the a really entertaining fight..Glen has the ability to catch elusive guys even though his punches are slower than most guys he fights..

One thing we all look past is Calzaghe's elusiveness..He has better defense than we think..Whatever though,Johnson would KO him finally!!
D-MARV
Can't see Johnson beating Joe Calzaghe... It would be a competitive fight either way.
hardhead
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 19 2008, 10:14 AM) [snapback]411823[/snapback]

After reading this BS I am seriously embarrassed that I was ever a fan of him. Any little respect I had for the dude as a fighter is now gone. Done.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(hardhead @ Nov 26 2008, 09:28 PM) [snapback]413048[/snapback]
After reading this BS I am seriously embarrassed that I was ever a fan of him. Any little respect I had for the dude as a fighter is now gone. Done.

Excellent. You are just starting to realise what I have been saying for years.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE(hardhead @ Nov 26 2008, 09:28 PM) [snapback]413048[/snapback]

C'mon, how is that different from any fighter? No fighters admit losing if there's a tenuous excuse they can use.

Black
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(blackbelt2003 @ Nov 27 2008, 03:21 PM) [snapback]413105[/snapback]
C'mon, how is that different from any fighter? No fighters admit losing if there's a tenuous excuse they can use.
Black

Ummmmmm Kostya Tszyu offered no excuse when he was clearly blackjacked & bumrolled by Hatton, Warren & their lapdog Parris. If ever a fighter could claim a conspiracy it is my man KT.

He held himself up like a man pulled his pants back up & held his head proud safe in the knowledge that it took 3 men to beat him.

Everyone on thi sboard knows this to be true. It is so called greats like Roy & PBF who disgrace the sport with their whining & pleading for recognition because they know their career is littered with question marks. A manly man like Tszyu has no question marks in his career & can turn away never looking back knowing his career & legace will never be questioned.

BigG
Mayweather is more man than tszyu is.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 27 2008, 10:33 PM) [snapback]413141[/snapback]
Mayweather is more man than tszyu is.

Stop baiting me G. Mayweather wears French cut panties & Tszyu wears none that is the difference between them.
Lil-lightsout
I think some of these great fighters that did not really experience losing till later in there career have trouble accepting reality. Pernell Whitaker was pretty delusional with some of his losses. Roy Jones seems to fall in the same category, he fails to see reality.
King Eugene
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Nov 27 2008, 05:40 PM) [snapback]413144[/snapback]
Stop baiting me G. Mayweather wears French cut panties & Tszyu wears none that is the difference between them.

Mayweather is better than Tszyu!
D-MARV
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 28 2008, 09:04 PM) [snapback]413276[/snapback]
Mayweather is better than Tszyu!

+1
BigG
Floyd has done alot of charity work for his home state of Detroit, giving back to his community. I don't think acting a fool on camera to sell a fight makes Floyd a bad person.
D-MARV
Both men a great people!
Spyder
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 29 2008, 07:33 AM) [snapback]413307[/snapback]
Floyd has done alot of charity work for his home state of Detroit...

Detroit is not a state, george. laugh.gif
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(Spyder @ Nov 30 2008, 10:35 AM) [snapback]413420[/snapback]
Detroit is not a state, george. laugh.gif

Stupid yanks laugh.gif
BigG
Errr was supposed to put Michigan on there laugh.gif
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 29 2008, 04:09 PM) [snapback]413318[/snapback]
So....do you think Floyd is a better person than Kostya?

Fitz startin shit he knows he can finish at any time laugh.gif .

BigG
I really don't know if Floyd is a better person than Kostya but it seems like there aren't too many boxers that are bigger class acts than Tszyu...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 30 2008, 07:43 PM) [snapback]413474[/snapback]
That's exactly right, and it seems like that there aren't too many boxers who are a bigger asshole than Floyd Mayweather laugh.gif

BAM!
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 30 2008, 07:43 PM) [snapback]413474[/snapback]
That's exactly right, and it seems like that there aren't too many boxers who are a bigger asshole than Floyd Mayweather laugh.gif

There's a few...

Joe Calzaghe
Roy Jones Jr
Zab Judah

I personally thought Josh Clottey was an asshole when I met him but he could have been having a bad day!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 1 2008, 12:43 AM) [snapback]413474[/snapback]

Maybe that POS DLH. He takes part in fixed fights & takes dives & worst of all he smiles afterwards!

Man I tellin ya DLH deserves all the venom & viritol we can muster.

Joe C is just a wanker
PBF is a arrogant POS
Roy is delusion & lives in his own fantasy world

DLH is all the above & then more much much more. I hate him more with each passing second. Seeing his fakeness exposed for the world to see & people still buy his BS! His blatant dive taking numerous fixed fights, shameless beating of over the hill names this goddam mutt has done it all & will always sink lower!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.