Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Margarito-Mosley is OFF!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
D-MARV
Antonio Margarito vs Shane Mosley is not happening. Margarito who is the World welterweight champion, noted on Tuesday that he did not want to fight Mosley. Todd duBoef, the president of Bob Arum's Top Rank confirms to the The Los Angeles Times on Tuesday night that Sergio Diaz (Manager for Margarito), sent him a notice stating that they would be "passing on the fight."

According to the LA Times, Margarito will likely go for a rematch with Miguel Cotto later this year. duBoef,

quoted by the publication, further stated: "Part of their thinking, I'm sure, is that the Cotto fight did good numbers [more than 450,000 pay-per-view buys]and that's the fight they want, more than a guy that Cotto beat."

duBoef further added on the matter: "Shane Mosley was a big name seven years ago, but they weighed the consequences and decided it was onward and upward."

Golden Boy CEO, Richard Schaefer tells the L.A. Times that Margarito should no longer call people out, because Margarito chickens out when the challenge is accepted.

For more on this story, visit our homepage.

BITCH!
BigG
What the hell is Margarito thinking...it's a career high payday and a huge name..
MarzB
Hey all you Floyd haters that loved to use this dude as your lightning rod to fuel your hatred, steer it towards him.

So lets see, someone who has a bigger offer on the table vs a fight with his former promoter whom he JUST bought out is labeled a "coward" continuously but someone who tried to run from a mandatory (Williams I), a healthy fighter who was tearing his ass up prior to his injury (Clottey), a remax with his conqueror (guess who) and now a matchup against an old man that he would have been favored in(I sure would have picked him) has turned this down?

Whats the label for him? Damarv1, I'm talking to the Floyd haters that namely..

What does he have on the table now??
caneman
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 19 2008, 03:01 PM) [snapback]411881[/snapback]
BITCH!

What is the actual source of this story bro? Margarito needs to rematch Williams & then MAYBE Cotto if he wants his ass beatdown again!
D-MARV
QUOTE(MarzB @ Nov 19 2008, 03:06 PM) [snapback]411884[/snapback]
Hey all you Floyd haters that loved to use this dude as your lightning rod to fuel your hatred, steer it towards him.

So lets see, someone who has a bigger offer on the table vs a fight with his former promoter whom he JUST bought out is labeled a "coward" continuously but someone who tried to run from a mandatory (Williams I), a healthy fighter who was tearing his ass up prior to his injury (Clottey), a remax with his conqueror (guess who) and now a matchup against an old man that he would have been favored in(I sure would have picked him) has turned this down?

Whats the label for him? Damarv1, I'm talking to the Floyd haters that namely..

What does he have on the table now??

All you Floyd haters/Tony Nuthuggers step out... Whats up with your boy? If you clowned Mayweather for "ducking" and holding out for De La Hoya, you better jump on Margarito's case...

Unitl Margarito fights Mosley, Williams, Clottey, or comes up with a Valid Excuse I will refer to him as...

ANTONIO FRAUDGARITO!
The Original MrFactor
I'm hearing that Mosley was getting the lions share of the money. Would you take the fight, if the guy you are fighting recently LOST to a guy you just KO'd?? Not to mention that Margarito is the Champ. I think its a principle thing. kinda like Floyd breaking camp in the rematch w/DLH because DLH was getting the lions share, even thought Floyd beat DLH.

However, I completely agree that if the Williams offer for 4mil was solid, he should take it, otherwise he does look like he's ducking Williams.

We have to ask the question. Can Margarito really afford to wait until June for a rematch with Cotto?? I think his game suffers when he's inactive.
Spyder
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Nov 19 2008, 03:48 PM) [snapback]411898[/snapback]
I'm hearing that Mosley was getting the lions share of the money. Would you take the fight, if the guy you are fighting recently LOST to a guy you just KO'd?? Not to mention that Margarito is the Champ. I think its a principle thing. kinda like Floyd breaking camp in the rematch w/DLH because DLH was getting the lions share, even thought Floyd beat DLH.

However, I completely agree that if the Williams offer for 4mil was solid, he should take it, otherwise he does look like he's ducking Williams.

We have to ask the question. Can Margarito really afford to wait until June for a rematch with Cotto?? I think his game suffers when he's inactive.

I wouldn't care what my opponent is getting...it's MY bank account that matters to me.
MarzB
If Marg was getting less, I can accept him NOT taking the fight. I personally don't see though how they (Golden Boy) get away with that though. It'll all come out soon.

I know he was definitely going to be taken care of against Williams and would have more than likely received the lions share against clottey too..
JonnyBlaze
I think Damarv. is right..Margarito acts like no one will fight him but he is the one pulling out..He might quite possibly be a fraud..Mosley would of made a decent fight for him if he decided to box with him..If Mosley tried to fight with him like he did with Mayorga,Mosley would get eatten up real quick..

I'm still real disappointed about the Mayorga fight but I think Mosley felt like he had to prove something after that Cotto fight..Wrong gameplan though..It could of made easy work of Mayorga like DLH did..One thing I do gotta say though is Mayorga has improved his skills some..
Mean Mister Mustard
What is he waiting for? Is Arum pressuring him into a rematch with Cotto in order to make more $$$? Either way, let's see who he faces before we start lambasting the guy.
MarzB
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 19 2008, 05:12 PM) [snapback]411908[/snapback]
What is he waiting for? Is Arum pressuring him into a rematch with Cotto in order to make more $$$? Either way, let's see who he faces before we start lambasting the guy.

Triple M, the problem I have is this. People roasted Floyd for dare turning down Margarito/Arum only later to fight the linear welterweight champion. During that process he was also negotiating to fight with Spinks and there was a HUGE outcry for that fight.

Outside of Mosley who else is Margarito going to fight that would generate any buzz?? He's not going to fight Williams (unless he's negotiating secretly), Clottey's out so who else in the welterweight landscape is out there with a bigger name than Mos??

Mind you, he'd be the clear favorite (even I'd have him and I can't stand him)in this fight..
JD
All that talk, and then he walks away from the fight. Assuming he isn't getting roasted on the financial end, this is weak.

I guess we will get Margarito - Cotto II in February, which I am fine with - I just could have done without the "Mosley pissing his pants" talk if there was no intention of taking the fight.
Big Slim Sweet
I thought Cotto was a taking a tune up against Michael Jennings in February? If so we won't see Margarito back in the ring until next summer.

Probably Margarito-Cotto 2 at MSG the weekend of the PR parade.
streetlion1
Dont like this from Margarito but the comparison to PBF cant be made because Floyd fought no-one but DLH and wouldnt even mention guys like PW and Cotto when asked about them.

I cant see Margarito turning into someone who ducks good fighters. I'll wait and see what happens in the future..its too bad though cause I gave Shane a good chance at beating him.

Bring on Berto-Mosley.....That would be a better fight anyway.
MarzB
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Nov 19 2008, 06:14 PM) [snapback]411918[/snapback]
Dont like this from Margarito but the comparison to PBF cant be made because Floyd fought no-one but DLH and wouldnt even mention guys like PW and Cotto when asked about them.

I cant see Margarito turning into someone who ducks good fighters. I'll wait and see what happens in the future..its too bad though cause I gave Shane a good chance at beating him.

Bring on Berto-Mosley.....That would be a better fight anyway.

Lets see i can think of plenty of reasons neither of those guys were factors one being $20 million dollars vs. something on the low end of 8 and less than 5 for Williams. Stop even mentioning williams name, he was NEVER, I repeat NEVER a factor in fighting floyd.

Williams beat margarito in July of last year and at that time floyd's date with Hatton was already set. Williams in january or Feb of this year lost his belt. He regained it but by then his market value was already done. Bad comparison..

frankypc
I dont know whats wrong with marg it was good money, better yet they were 2 excelent money fights marg vs mosley and then in the summer marg vs cotto 2. I really dont understand.
Douchebag
The only way I think that Marg camp can justify this is if they somehow think that Tony lost step after the Cotto fight. Because as far as I can see this fight with Mosley was money in the bank for him. Isn't this exactly what he wanted an easy payday against a guy that he should be fairly easy? Something don't smell right.
streetlion1
QUOTE(MarzB @ Nov 19 2008, 05:36 PM) [snapback]411922[/snapback]
Lets see i can think of plenty of reasons neither of those guys were factors one being $20 million dollars vs. something on the low end of 8 and less than 5 for Williams. Stop even mentioning williams name, he was NEVER, I repeat NEVER a factor in fighting floyd.

Williams beat margarito in July of last year and at that time floyd's date with Hatton was already set. Williams in january or Feb of this year lost his belt. He regained it but by then his market value was already done. Bad comparison..

It wasnt only them Floyd was ducking it was Mosley too. Mayweather turned into a Duck-Artist at 147 bottem line. Mayweather has no credibility at welterweight and that is why the same hate doesnt apply.

Pretty Boy Gayweather ducked the whole welterweight division while hanging on DLH's nuts and beatin up on lil defenseless Ricky Hatton
salvador
It's about the money.

According to the article on the front page of FH, Marg was offered 50% of the purse, which would make his end less than $2MM.

I think Marg believes that after his performance against Cotto, he's a $5MM+ fighter - which he'll get if he fights Cotto again or Floyd or DLH.

I also think he's getting bad advice from his manager - the same guy who recommended that he fight Williams instead of Cotto.

Marg should obviously take the fight unless he knows something we don't regarding DLH or Floyd.

There's no way this is about Marg being afraid of Shane. Just no way.

D-MARV
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Nov 19 2008, 05:59 PM) [snapback]411927[/snapback]
It wasnt only them Floyd was ducking it was Mosley too. Mayweather turned into a Duck-Artist at 147 bottem line. Mayweather has no credibility at welterweight and that is why the same hate doesnt apply.

Pretty Boy Gayweather ducked the whole welterweight division while hanging on DLH's nuts and beatin up on lil defenseless Ricky Hatton

I remember distinctly Floyd saying he would fight Mosley but it was Mosley who said he wanted to take the rest of he year off. Floyd didn't duck Mosley!
frankypc
Its really bad advice then bc 2M is better than 0M. He is bigger and younger than shane so whats the problem? Unless he is afraid of risking the cotto fight.
BoxingStill#1
Well,.... looks like this may be the end of my man Cotto,....Two (possibbly brutal) losses will alter his state of mind and ultimately his career....

Cotto is the better fighter......but will never beat Marg. Tony is all wrong for him.....
frankypc
But thats boxing man, its a cruel sport smile.gif And cotto does believe he can beat marg, thats commendable anyway. He wanted to retire young so if he gets soundly beaten again he has a good excuse to retire. IMHO He does have a chance but the only way of knowing for sure is well...fighting marg again. Beside it will be good money for cotto too.
MarzB
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 19 2008, 07:17 PM) [snapback]411932[/snapback]
I remember distinctly Floyd saying he would fight Mosley but it was Mosley who said he wanted to take the rest of he year off. Floyd didn't duck Mosley!

Thank you. You beat me to it. To continue, Streetlion, you're just reaching honestly. Mayweather not only called out Mosley once but twice. He called Mosley out when Mosley went up to fight Dela Hoya their first go round. But of course "Shane" wasn't criticized for "DUCKING" the then Mayweather because there were bigger fish to fry. So why the double standard for Floyd??

Also most recently and I quote after he beat Fernando Vargas while Floyd was still negotiating an up coming fight, this was asked of the person whom you suggest Floyd ducked..

Merchant asked Shane "why doesn't he step down" and here was Shane's reply.

"You never know what will happen,'' Mosley (43-4, 37 KO) said after having first indicated he intended to move down to 147 pounds rather than continue to face naturally bigger men at 154. "I think I can get back down to welterweight. If not, there's always catch weights, like 150, 152.

"I'll take some time off and begin training again in November. (WBO welterweight champion Antonio) Margarito is out there waiting for Floyd (Mayweather). They should fight each other and I could fight the winner next year. Right now my tooth is loose so I may have to go to the dentist. I got to see what's up with that first.''

source
http://www.hbo.com/boxing/events/2006/0715..._postfight.html

Now that said, I'm not one to totally harp on whats "said" but when its blatantly suggested someone avoided someone, not to mention a disrespectful name, you have to show what really occurred.

In this situation for Margs there was an actual offered tendered. The ONLY offer that was ever tendered for Floyd amongst all the so called welterweights he "ducked" was the Marg/Arum offer of $8 million with NO ppv upside and god knows how many more options.

There was no Cotto offer, there was no Williams offer. I'm sure someone will make up that he also ducked Berto and someone who'll be on the 2012 Olympic team also,lol...

BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(frankypc @ Nov 19 2008, 07:36 PM) [snapback]411938[/snapback]
But thats boxing man, its a cruel sport smile.gif And cotto does believe he can beat marg, thats commendable anyway. He wanted to retire young so if he gets soundly beaten again he has a good excuse to retire. IMHO He does have a chance but the only way of knowing for sure is well...fighting marg again. Beside it will be good money for cotto too.

Thats just it,.....maybe fans like myslelf dont want to see Cotto retire......Its not that it would just be a loss.....but a loss that will bring him to lose other fights he would otherwise win.....
kidbazooka1
He knows once he beats the sh*t out of Mosley every one will discredit him by saying Mosley was all washed up so why bother.

Nah whos knows what the rea lreason is if it's in fact true. All I know is that Margarito sure in hell ain't scared of Mosley.
salvador
Marg's last five fights:

Clottey
Williams
Johnson
Cintron
Cotto

The more I think about this, the more I think that, other than Johnson, Mosley might be the easiest fight Marg's had in years.

This is about money.
BrutalBodyShots
I'm glad the fight isn't happening. I've always liked Mosley and wasn't looking forward to him taking the biggest beating of his career.

Margarito was at 9-2 favorite over Mosley to win. Not too often you get odds that wide when talking two big name fighters... but I think those odds were dead on.

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
What is funny though is how quickly Marg has gone from being on the outside to 'playing the game.'

Big Slim Sweet
It's not a cool move by Margarito. Whether or not Shane would have been an easy fight for him is irrelevent really. If it was about the money come out and say so. If it was about wanting to take time off to spend with your family or whatever and wait until the summer to fight Cotto come out and say so. But what Tony is doing here is really taking a page out of Floyd's playbook, basically calling Mosley unworthy.

I've always defended Margarito on this board. I defended him deserving his shot at Mayweather, I defended his win over Clottey as legit, and I defended his decision to not fight Paul Williams again right after finally notching that ever elusive first elite win. He's a warrior and there's no way he's afraid of Mosley or any other fighter for that matter, but I gotta call a spade a spade.
Lil-lightsout
So when has Shane took a horrific beating? Why exactly is Margarito going to be the one to do it? Sorry, I do not buy it. Sure Shane is not what he used to be, but everybody wants to look at the Mayorga fight. So he had an off night with an awkward opponent. There is no way I see Tony steamrolling Shane, Shane can box and do other things in there. I am not saying Mosley would definately win(but he possibly could), but I think he makes it damn competetive in there. Shane would fight smarter than Cotto in there and not burn himself out early trying to KO Margarito. Maybe he saw the vicious power Shane inflicted in the last round against Mayorga, and he decided he wants no part of that hook? Well hopefully Shane can find a suitable opponent soon.
D-MARV
Shane would be in for a rough fight! I know that much... but I wouldn't count him out!
salvador
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 20 2008, 12:18 PM) [snapback]412051[/snapback]
It's not a cool move by Margarito. Whether or not Shane would have been an easy fight for him is irrelevent really. If it was about the money come out and say so.

I think he has said it, or at least implied it. He was being offered less than $2MM and he believes he's worth more. I have no idea what he's worth. I know that the Mexicans must love him a lot more after Cotto (which I think did about 500,000 buys), but I don't know how much. But if Sturm is being offered 2.5MM Euros ($4MM) to fight Abraham, then Marg HAS to be worth more than $2MM.

Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 20 2008, 02:59 PM) [snapback]412078[/snapback]
But if Sturm is being offered 2.5MM Euros ($4MM) to fight Abraham, then Marg HAS to be worth more than $2MM.

No doubt, but realistically where else is he going to make that kind of money right now? Oscar and Floyd won't fight him. Tony won't fight Williams (at least not right now, which I understand, and I happen to question the validity of the $4 million offer anyway). He can't get that kind of money fighting Clottey or Berto. He's not going to be on any shortlist for Pacquiao or Hatton. Sure he'll probably make double that rematching Cotto in the summer, but taking that fight in June and fighting Mosley in January are not mutually exclusive propositions, unless Tony were to lose to Shane, which few think would happen.

It just doesn't make any sense for him to turn down the best offer he has right now - what most consider a relatively easy $2 million payday - while waiting for the bigger money fight to hopefully materialize this summer. And regardless, the manner in which he turned it down, via some press release with Todd DeBeuf or whoever saying Mosley's not a big enough name anymore and already lost to Cotto anyway, reeks of the same kind of bullshit Floyd used to peddle.
D-MARV
QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 20 2008, 01:59 PM) [snapback]412078[/snapback]
But if Sturm is being offered 2.5MM Euros ($4MM) to fight Abraham, then Marg HAS to be worth more than $2MM.

Not Necessarily!

Sturm- Abraham would be a "HUGE" fight in Germany. I would expect them to fill up 60,000! Shit That fight would be Huge for me! but unfortunately they aren't recognized fighters here in the states!
salvador
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 20 2008, 03:33 PM) [snapback]412085[/snapback]
No doubt, but realistically where else is he going to make that kind of money right now? Oscar and Floyd won't fight him. Tony won't fight Williams (at least not right now, which I understand, and I happen to question the validity of the $4 million offer anyway). He can't get that kind of money fighting Clottey or Berto. He's not going to be on any shortlist for Pacquiao or Hatton. Sure he'll probably make double that rematching Cotto in the summer, but taking that fight in June and fighting Mosley in January are not mutually exclusive propositions, unless Tony were to lose to Shane, which few think would happen.

It just doesn't make any sense for him to turn down the best offer he has right now - what most consider a relatively easy $2 million payday - while waiting for the bigger money fight to hopefully materialize this summer. And regardless, the manner in which he turned it down, via some press release with Todd DeBeuf or whoever saying Mosley's not a big enough name anymore and already lost to Cotto anyway, reeks of the same kind of bullshit Floyd used to peddle.

I agree with you that he should fight Mosley, but I also think that it's possible Marg knows something we don't about Floyd or DLH.

And to me the difference between Floyd and Marg is that Floyd turned down Marg when Marg was a legitimate contender. Mosley has a huge name, but it's not like there's a mandate for Shane to get the fight. Marg is the champ and he might be a bigger draw than Mosley at this point. The biggest question mark for me is why on earth would Shane want this fight? God knows he's got enough money already.

I wonder if maybe Marg thinks that they could make more in a PPV. Or maybe he doesn't want to hurt his negotiating position with Cotto by taking less than $2MM, thereby acknowledging that Cotto was the draw.

Who knows?

D-MARV
QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 20 2008, 02:51 PM) [snapback]412091[/snapback]
The biggest question mark for me is why on earth would Shane want this fight?

Because Shane Dares to be Great!!!
salvador
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 20 2008, 03:54 PM) [snapback]412092[/snapback]
Because Shane Dares to be Great!!!

God bless him!
Lil-lightsout
I just get sick and tired of the politics in boxing, everyone suffers. So many fights in the past do not get made because of it. Fighters lose money just waiting around waiting for the "big" payday. I just wish all fighters would stay more active these days. I did not care for JC Chavez, but the guy was a busy fighter, even if it was fighting tune-ups to stay sharp. Atleast his fans got to see him fight regulary, not todays fighters. They would rather sit around and fight like once or twice a year. I do not follow mma closely, but it seems to me they are always fighting and staying busy. I think so many fighters today could make more money if they actually got in the ring more and let the public see them. I know it is easy for me to say on the outside, because I know there is alot of B.S that goes on in this sport. So the top fighters start to fight one another to see who is actually the best, and if not possible, atleast stay busy so the fans can see you fight more often. Yeah I know...stupid pointless rant.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 20 2008, 03:51 PM) [snapback]412091[/snapback]
I agree with you that he should fight Mosley, but I also think that it's possible Marg knows something we don't about Floyd or DLH.

And to me the difference between Floyd and Marg is that Floyd turned down Marg when Marg was a legitimate contender. Mosley has a huge name, but it's not like there's a mandate for Shane to get the fight. Marg is the champ and he might be a bigger draw than Mosley at this point. The biggest question mark for me is why on earth would Shane want this fight? God knows he's got enough money already.

I wonder if maybe Marg thinks that they could make more in a PPV. Or maybe he doesn't want to hurt his negotiating position with Cotto by taking less than $2MM, thereby acknowledging that Cotto was the draw.

Who knows?

Marg may know something we don't, but I have a hard time believing that any fight to be made with Oscar or Floyd could possibly be made while waiting for the Cotto rematch in June the way a fight with Mosley could. So again, these aren't mutually exclusive. And while there's no mandate for a fight with Shane right now, he IS still viewed as a very legitimate contender - even if few give him a good chance to win this particular matchup. And besides, I think there's always room on one's resume for a first-ballot hall of famer who still gets respect in every corner of the sport, don't you?

Where I do think you might be right however is in your theory that by accepting less money than Cotto got to fight Shane one year ago (or DLH got years ago, or PBF was offered, etc.), Margarito believes he could be hurting his negotiating position with respect to potential future fights with those opponents.

I still don't agree with his decision or the manner in which he made it. But that's just the fan in me talking.

Btw, the biggest difference between Floyd and Marg is that Floyd turned down eight million, as opposed to a paltry two. laugh.gif
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 20 2008, 05:04 PM) [snapback]412109[/snapback]
I agree that it's kind of good that this fight isn't happening, but I think Margarito is still wrong with his principles.
Yup
I think Mosley would have been an easy fight also, but I don't think it's a cool move either by Margarito. Has he forgotten where he has come from? This is what he always wanted, he wanted a money fight, but it seems like he could be opting for a rematch with Cotto instead.
I just think what he has done here, is what all the Margarito fans hated Mayweather for (Margarito is no where near as bad as Mayweather though), but I think even you yourself are aware of this.

For all you guys that say "Margarito isn't as bad as Mayweaher", dont forget that Mayweather was chasing a 25 million dollar fight! Margarito would be lucky to get a fraction of that.
D-MARV
I think Mayweather knew Margarito was a Risk! But Mayweather was targeting De La Hoya for years... Baldomir was easy money for Floyd (in fact the same amount he would have gotten for Margarito) and Oscar was basically a done deal after Baldomir!... Im not saying Mayweather was 100% right for not fighting Margarito but it wasn't any worst than what Margarito is doing now.
Vodoo
QUOTE(MarzB @ Nov 19 2008, 06:37 PM) [snapback]411939[/snapback]
Thank you. You beat me to it. To continue, Streetlion, you're just reaching honestly. Mayweather not only called out Mosley once but twice. He called Mosley out when Mosley went up to fight Dela Hoya their first go round. But of course "Shane" wasn't criticized for "DUCKING" the then Mayweather because there were bigger fish to fry. So why the double standard for Floyd??

Also most recently and I quote after he beat Fernando Vargas while Floyd was still negotiating an up coming fight, this was asked of the person whom you suggest Floyd ducked..

Merchant asked Shane "why doesn't he step down" and here was Shane's reply.

"You never know what will happen,'' Mosley (43-4, 37 KO) said after having first indicated he intended to move down to 147 pounds rather than continue to face naturally bigger men at 154. "I think I can get back down to welterweight. If not, there's always catch weights, like 150, 152.

"I'll take some time off and begin training again in November. (WBO welterweight champion Antonio) Margarito is out there waiting for Floyd (Mayweather). They should fight each other and I could fight the winner next year. Right now my tooth is loose so I may have to go to the dentist. I got to see what's up with that first.''

source
http://www.hbo.com/boxing/events/2006/0715..._postfight.html
Now that said, I'm not one to totally harp on whats "said" but when its blatantly suggested someone avoided someone, not to mention a disrespectful name, you have to show what really occurred.

In this situation for Margs there was an actual offered tendered. The ONLY offer that was ever tendered for Floyd amongst all the so called welterweights he "ducked" was the Marg/Arum offer of $8 million with NO ppv upside and god knows how many more options.

There was no Cotto offer, there was no Williams offer. I'm sure someone will make up that he also ducked Berto and someone who'll be on the 2012 Olympic team also,lol...
Do you have the quote to when he called out Mosley back then too, because to be quite honest him and Zab having been claiming this same bullshit for years and I don't remember it for either one.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(Vodoo @ Nov 20 2008, 07:21 PM) [snapback]412125[/snapback]
Do you have the quote to when he called out Mosley back then too, because to be quite honest him and Zab having been claiming this same bullshit for years and I don't remember it for either one.

As a HUGE Shane fan I heard PBF call Shane out twice verbally! He called out Cotto! Beat Baldomire (who was the linear champ at the time), beat Zab, DeLaHoya and Hatton. Haters can say what they want but thats an impressive list. Margarito beat so-what Cintron, needs to see Clottey again, lost to Williams and had a bum win over Cotto (a good win but a bum win). Not only is the 2 mill Shane offer his biggest, Goosen is offering 4 mill for a Williams rematch (don't you guys read). So Shane, Clottey, and Williams are calling him out. NO EXCUSE!!!!!!!!! All this it's about the money stuff is BS cause if they offered him Golden Johnson again for 1 mill he'd take it so why not fight Shane for 2.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Nov 21 2008, 10:08 AM) [snapback]412191[/snapback]
As a HUGE Shane fan I heard PBF call Shane out twice verbally! He called out Cotto! Beat Baldomire (who was the linear champ at the time), beat Zab, DeLaHoya and Hatton. Haters can say what they want but thats an impressive list. Margarito beat so-what Cintron, needs to see Clottey again, lost to Williams and had a bum win over Cotto (a good win but a bum win). Not only is the 2 mill Shane offer his biggest, Goosen is offering 4 mill for a Williams rematch (don't you guys read). So Shane, Clottey, and Williams are calling him out. NO EXCUSE!!!!!!!!! All this it's about the money stuff is BS cause if they offered him Golden Johnson again for 1 mill he'd take it so why not fight Shane for 2.

So, who on that im,pressive Mayweather listy would have beaten Margarito?? Then the question begs during the same period, who on Margarito's list would have beaten mayweather??

On the other stuff, I pretty much agree. I understand not taking the Mosley fight, IF Shane is getting more. For a 50/50 split and at 2mil, he probably should have taken the fight. If Williams offer of 4mil was true, he should have been all over that too... Also still dissapointed that he didnt at least jump on Clottey and take the IBF belt. Tony lost alot of respect this week from one of his biggest backers on this board...
BrutalBodyShots
...and had a bum win over Cotto (a good win but a bum win).

What the hell is a "bum win" ?
streetlion1

When did he call out Cotto?! I remember after 2 different fights that when cottos name was brought up in interviews Gayweather would say " I have nothing more to prove" or "I value these years for my children" and bullshit like that only to turn around and beat up suck-ass Ricky Hatton. Zab is really not Zab at 147...I dont blame him for wanting the fight but he barely beat an aged DLH...and a little guy with no defense.....Margarito or Cotto would have offered much bigger challenges..the Cotto fight being a big payday.

Margarito fought Williams when no other big name welter wanted a piece of him. Then beat Cotto who was the best welter at that time.....and it was no "bum win". It was a war and the pressure he put on Cotto was too much to deal with along with his own stamina issues.

He hasnt been champ that long...in the future if he start taking fights with obviously weaker fighters then I'll say he is scared to fight people. Maybe he just wants to enjoy his time in the limelight and wait for Cotto.
Method
Doesn't a fight have to be ON first, before it can be OFF?
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Nov 20 2008, 11:56 AM) [snapback]412065[/snapback]
So when has Shane took a horrific beating?

i saw shane get the shit beat out of him against forrest.
Thegreatequalizer
i'm really glad about this. fuck the douchebags at golden boy and their screwing over of other fighters.

maybe it's not about the money or being scared, but wanting respect in his job. if someone offered you a much smaller amount of money to do your job than they're paying someone else to do the same, would you do it? maybe it's about honor. some people seem respect a desire for money more than not letting yourself get screwed over though, unfortunately.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.