Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO:9PM CST:Malignaggi vs. Hatton: RBR/Postfight Comments
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
For all on going comments/postfight reactions to the Malignaggi-Hatton fight.

Jack

Administrator
BigG
Round 1 to Paulie 10-9

ROund 2 to Hatton he wobbled Paulie. 10-9
dbdbdb
This is the most relaxed Hatton I've ever seen and at present Paulie is having problems with that clubbing right hand of Hattons.

Hatton 2
Paulie - 1
BigG
Round 3 to Hatton...alot of clinching and punching in the clinch.
BigG
Hatton takes round 4....so 39-37 Hatton.
dbdbdb
Hatton 4 - Paulie 1

Paulie does not look good in there.

Hatton 5 - Paulie 1

Paulie is getting whipped on in there tonight.
BigG
4-1 Hatton.

But Paulies having his best round in a while..I think that was close..maybe round to Ricky? 5-1...or 4-2 Ricky...
BigG
I thought Paulie was getting a bit hurt in round 8....I have it 6-2 for Ricky!
dbdbdb
Paulie is holding on for dear life .... What the hell happened to him?

Hatton has improved !!!!

7-1 Hatton

At best I'd give one round a draw, other than that this is all Hatton.
BigG
88-83 Ricky after 9.
iron_mike
Holy crap this is the most boring fight since Sergei Briggs rds 1-12 minus the last 45 seconds. I stopped watching after the fourth. Maybe it's cause I can't stand both fighters. I saw Paulie get wobbled a couple of times. Also that British chanting irks the fuck out of me. I put on a Simpsons dvd. 10x more entertaining. The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie show. More excitement than any Malignaggi fight.
dbdbdb
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!! The towel was thrown in !!!!!!

Buddy Mcgirt is getting FIRED for that.
BigG
What the hell...why was that stopped...that was a bad stoppage.
iron_mike
Soon as Ityped that Isee Paulie pushing McGirt. Fight was stopped? Waitng for replay.
I was gonna make another post about McGirt similar to one I made like a year ago. He's so fukin annoying. work that jab champ! Double jab baby!
BigG
Paulie was not hurt or getting KO'd...can't believe that was stopped...but he was on his way to losing a UD
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Maybe he just thought that as he was so far behind and there was no chnace that the Feather Fisted Faggot could pull out a late stoppage they might as well end it early.
BigG
Oh well..I don't think Ricky can beat any P4Per...I guess Paulie was a grea match for him since Paulie had no power.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 22 2008, 11:42 PM) [snapback]412428[/snapback]
Paulie was not hurt or getting KO'd...can't believe that was stopped...but he was on his way to losing a UD

NO DOUBT!!!

Mcgirt just panicked -- I cannot believe that Sh*t. Give Paulie a chance to go out on his shield, that's the least a trainer can do for his fighter.
D-MARV
solid win for Hatton! He laid a beatdown. Cotto didn't even look this impressive against Malignaggi!
BigG
Maybe Money Mayweather should get more credit for the beatdown he put on Hatton?
iron_mike
what round was it? I don't want to watch this fight again tomorrow, just the controversial early stoppage.
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 22 2008, 11:49 PM) [snapback]412433[/snapback]
Maybe Money Mayweather should get more credit for the beatdown he put on Hatton?

Yeah Right! You know people dont give Mayweather credit for $hit!
The CEO
3 things....

1. Paulie was fighting the exact wrong fight, but he should have been allowed to finish...

2. Big Floyd is one of the best trainers of all time.

3. If Hatton had fought every fight like he did tonight...and didn't have such fucked up fans...I would like him.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 22 2008, 11:51 PM) [snapback]412435[/snapback]
Yeah Right! You know people dont give Mayweather credit for $hit!

laugh.gif TRUE .....
D-MARV
Papa Mayweather must be a beast!
BigG
But to be honest, I didn't think Hatton improved..he looked the same to me.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 22 2008, 11:56 PM) [snapback]412439[/snapback]

He was alot more patient & He wasn't lunging in constantly. Those were the two things I noticed.
D-MARV

Well when they weren't in a clinch I saw some good head movement from Hatton. LOL I even saw him roll a few punches as well.
The CEO
Everything said above...plus he didn't make it a point to armlock Malibummi....
Lil-lightsout
This fight was so easy to pick, it went exactly how I knew it would. Paulie only has a jab, and when he steps up to the elite, he just won't beat them. Hatton is way stronger and has more tools in there, plus he fought way better fighters.

I usually can't stand Paulie, but I will give him props for a few reasons.
1- Though he was totally outgunned in there, he was very tough and does not give up.
2- He has no power, but he somehow worked his way up to worldclass level.
3- He looked for the Cotto fight, and he also wanted the Hatton fight.
4- He was pissed Buddy stopped the fight, even though he was getting a beating in there. He is not a pussy like Sam Peter in there who quits on his stool when things are not going his way.
5- He made no excuses after the fight about losing.
BigG
Pacquiao vs. Hatton must happen! Can you imagine the atmosphere..
Method
I had no problem w the stoppage.

Paulie was getting broken up. It was getting ugly. McGirt gave him fair warning before the start of the 11th, and Paulie came out throwing absolutely NOTHING, and getting busted up to boot.

Then, he acted like the cunt I always knew he was and pushed his fucking trainer. Fuck that. Im not down with that shit.
BigG
In an interview with a British Network, Lou Dibella said he wouldve done the same thing. Paulie took alot of punishment in the clinch..lol..but he clinched the whole night..Ricky didn't need to.
JD
I thought Hatton looked good tonight.

I was impressed with the quick improvements Floyd Senior made. He needs to stay at 140...but he just beat down a good, solid fighter in pretty dominating fashion.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 23 2008, 12:49 AM) [snapback]412433[/snapback]

He should..Hatton is no joke..I liked how he fought tonight..He wasn't going to clinches much really since he wasn't jumping in like he used to..I see Hatton having a good future and I can see lots of improvements being made..I think tonight was the first step to completing him as a fighter..He used good footwork like always,was using his jab even though it was as good as Paulies,he wasn't jumping in and used the jab to get in close,and his head movement has improved a lot..I seriously don't see how any of you could say he didn't improve..His old trainer had nothing left to teach him,Floyd Sr. is a fresh new trainer for him and will help him learn to use more boxing skill and not just maul guys..
Lil-lightsout
I don't think Hatton gets enough credit for how good he is. When he fought Tackie years ago, he showed some real nice boxing in there. I think he has those abilities, and Mayweather should be able to bring out those qualities even more now. Plus Ricky has great strength and good inside fighting when he needs to do that too. I saw some improvements tonight, and I am sure there will be more with his next opponent. As long as he does not go back to the way he fought Tsyzu, which was real dirty.

I also loved his post fight interview with Larry. I could be wrong, but it sounded like he took a swipe at Joe Calzaghe with his comment about making all these defenses and taking risks to see who the best is and proving it. Something along those lines, I can not remember exactly what he said. I do not know if anyone else caught that?
BGv2.0
I think this was a total BS stoppage and McGirt should be fired for that shit!

I DO understand the concept that the guy needed a KO to win and the chances of that taking place were slim and none....I totally understand that. HOWEVER, the beating he was taking was not so bad as to say the guy would be killed in the next 5.5 minutes!

Let him finish the fight!

I swear Boxing and MANY current day fans need to have a nice set of panties made up.....because more and more....I'm seeing people think shit stoppages like this are good....and they are not!

There was a time win finishing the fight meant something....and it appears that Paulie still has that mentality....

I don't even like the dude....but he should have been allowed to ride out those last few minutes.

IF he had a severe cut....had been floored several times and was getting whacked around the ring like a rag doll.....YES....those 5 minutes might be the difference between life and death....

BUT....that was not the case here.

It's like running.....you may not win the race....hell you may not even place in the top 10 or 20 even....but at the end of the day...you want to cross that finish line.

That's all this guy wanted to do....and McGirt denied him that.

I think Buddy is a very good trainer and I know without doubt he cares about his fighters....BUT....I think he has forgotten where he came from in this case. Had it been him in there....I'm sure he would have wanted to finish as well.
BigG
I agree with BG...the only thing Paulie had left at that point was his pride...He was obviously going to lose the decision but he obviously is a very passionate guy and takes pride in never being stopped.

Reminded me of Urkals corner throwing in the towel vs. Cotto

And that POS Jeff Fencech throwing in the towel for Hussein Hussein in the 2nd Jorge Arce
The Original MrFactor
Great stoppage by Big Dirt... Paulie sucked ass tonight. I expected him to box and he just held on for dear life.
kidbazooka1
Hatton looked good but c'mon now it was Paulie Malinaggi.

Jack 1000
ZZZZZZZZZZZZ...........ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Only 2 rounds to Paulie. 1 and maybe the 6th. But no improvement from Hatton. He looked the same. Still grab and hold, even though Paulie was doing it just as much even more if that's possible. I had no problem with the stoppage. It saved me from slipping into a coma. I didn't even wait for post fight interviews just hit the Stop and Delete button on my DVR.

Paulie was beaten and clinched down by the stronger fighter. But Paulie did very little of the things that he needed to do to even try to win. (jab and stay outside.) McGirt who has one of the worst losing streaks of any modern trainer in boxing was telling Paulie the right things, but when he couldn't execute them the problem was there was no plan B. Malinaggi is not good enough to go to a plan B.

But for Hatton, nothing changed for me, at all.

Jack
Jack 1000
And that POS Jeff Fencech throwing in the towel for Hussein Hussein in the 2nd Jorge Arce

Oh yea! Totally agree. Fenech was a cunt for doing that, and should have been shot on the spot for doing that shit. Now THAT was a fucked up stoppage.

Jack
BigG
I agree with Fitz...I thought Hatton looked good in a mildly entertaining fight.
mexi-cutioner
Yeah, I don't know what some people are complaining about, you can't always expect a full out brawl everytime u watch a fight, appreciate fights like this that are atleast televised so we don't hv to worry about throwing down $50-60 of good money to watch a boxing fight every other week. But yeah, I didn't mind the fight it wasn't very exciting, but it wasn't a snorefest either I find that whenever a Hatton fight is on the Hatton fans help me get into it becuaase there just soooo rowwdy and passionaate about ther fighter its contagious
Maxy
It wasn't a bad fight so I can't understand why some people are calling it boring. Yeah, it wasn't thrill a minute either but who seriously thought it would be?

Malignaggi can feel gutted he was pulled out but he wasn't going to KO Ricky so it made no difference to the outcome. I never like it when a fight ends like this, it feels like you've been cheated of something but that's life.

Hatton is a better fighter at 140 and shouldn't even bother trying to move up again but I still give him credit for actually taking on the best challenges available. Nearly fell off my chair when I read CEO say he could have actually liked Hatton if he'd always boxed like this! What's that all about? laugh.gif
Method
I still think it was a good stoppage by McGirt. Fuck that, if Paulie is fighting for pride, he shoulda hung them up a while ago

Tis fight was turning into the Cotto fight all over again.
Maxy
McGirt was just protecting his fighter and there is nothing wrong with that but when that type of ending happens it never feels satisfactory as a watching fight fan. Not that I want to see anyone get hurt bad.

dbdbdb
QUOTE(Maxy @ Nov 23 2008, 09:49 AM) [snapback]412523[/snapback]
McGirt was just protecting his fighter and there is nothing wrong with that but when that type of ending happens it never feels satisfactory as a watching fight fan. Not that I want to see anyone get hurt bad.

There is such a thing as being over protective -- And I believe that was the case here. Paulie was getting dogged in there, but was willing to fight on. Don't take your fighter's chances away from him -- he wasn't badly hurt, he wasn't cut-up, he could see with both eyes and if in trouble he would be able to get out of the way.

There was no reason to throw in the towel when your fighter has a chance\ a miracle chance of getting in a lucky shot.

Sidenote - Mosley KOed Mayorga in the last 12 seconds - So anything can happen in the last few rounds.

All that being said - Paulie wasn't comfortable in there and was compulsively holding round to round. He looked terrible and out of his depth -- BUT he still has his pride and a possible future, let him fight as long as he's able -- don't rob your guy.

God knows the refs do a pretty good job of robbing fighters everyday and don't need any help from the trainers.

!
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Nov 23 2008, 10:10 AM) [snapback]412527[/snapback]
There is such a thing as being over protective -- And I believe that was the case here. Paulie was getting dogged in there, but was willing to fight on. Don't take your fighter's chances away from him -- he wasn't badly hurt, he wasn't cut-up, he could see with both eyes and if in trouble he would be able to get out of the way.

!

What chances?? Paulie was waaay down on the scorecards. He has 5 KO wins. I think its safe to say that he wasnt going to pullout a miracle 12th round KO. Why continue to let your guy take an ass whipping when he could get seriously hurt. I remember what Paulie looked like after Cotto got to him...

Also, since Meth brought up Cotto... Cotto and Hatton didnt fight eachother at 140 beacause why?? I wouldnt mind seeing it now at a catchweight 144...

gods son

This hatton who fought last night is the Diciplined version in terms of health ,diet and commitment!
The post-kostya version of Hatton went a bit crazy with the binge drinking and digression in training within some fights. Floyd Snr to his credit, brought some hard back dicipline into Team Hatton, no Bullshitting, no talking back etc!
Hatton was put in very good place and it showed last night!
Hatton fought strong in every round with the mounted pressure he onslaughted on paulie, and it was very clear that Ricky wasn't getting blown out or tiring.
Ricky needs to slow down on that unhealthy lifestyle he wants to put ona good show against the likes of pacman , marquez or hmmmm hate to say it, de la hoya!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.