Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lewis to return?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Maxy
Over the weekend there have been several reports that Lennox Lewis is considering a return to the ring for a rematch with Vitali Klit. I suppose these sort of things surface from time to time but there does seem to be more credence to Lewis' proposed comeback this time.

He was quoted as saying, "If someone wants to pay me serious money, $100m or so, then I will fight again. I don't have to do this, I don't need the money and my legacy speaks for itself. But boxing needs me. The heavyweight game is so boring. All the characters are gone. I would like to save my sport."

The following day he went on to retract the claims but didn't close the door completely when he said, "Nobody has made any offers, I've been there and done that, I don't think there is any offer that would get me back in the ring. I've accomplished all my goals. "Klitscho has me on his mind, which is great but I don't see myself coming back, no. "The amount quoted is a lot of money so a lot of people would be looking at me and saying 'Are you mad?'. Money doesn't really inspire me. It's all about the glory. What glory is there coming back and facing a man I've already beaten?

"The reasons he's calling me back is for selfish reasons and he needs to create his own legacy and go and fight all the necessary people that he needs to fight."

I don't really know how I'd feel about this. What do you think?
torvix2000
Told yah!!! Lewis will appear again and again and again in an interview. The guy's got that itch. He wants to fight. However, he should shut his mouth up. He's actually pounding on boxing by not keeping his mouth shut!

Vitali has this long lay off. When he got the itch... what did he do? He came back.
D-MARV
Lewis aint coming back.
Keith Pratt
I hope not!

A 43 year old who had his last fight 5 1/2 years ago is not the man to save heavyweight boxing.
torvix2000
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 23 2008, 01:10 PM) [snapback]412500[/snapback]
Lewis aint coming back.

Then he should shut his mouth up. Have people noticed that everytime one of the Klitz win, he'd show up having something to say... criticizing boxing... saying how he could have beaten Klitz... but saying he already beat Vitali... blah blah blah... This guy's need some serious attention. With himself, the guy's regretting his decision to retire. He was having nightmares that some people thought Vitali could have beaten him... He's pissed. But that's his fault. He could have trained hard and went with the rematch. He chose to retire. So be it. But shut up. He's not doing boxing any good by talking.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Keith Pratt @ Nov 23 2008, 08:14 AM) [snapback]412502[/snapback]
I hope not!

A 43 year old who had his last fight 5 1/2 years ago is not the man to save heavyweight boxing.

Don't forget to include the fact that he weighs about 300 pounds
BigG
Lennox wont come back...he'd be a fool to come back.
D-MARV
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Nov 23 2008, 08:17 AM) [snapback]412504[/snapback]
Then he should shut his mouth up. Have people noticed that everytime one of the Klitz win, he'd show up having something to say... criticizing boxing... saying how he could have beaten Klitz... but saying he already beat Vitali... blah blah blah... This guy's need some serious attention. With himself, the guy's regretting his decision to retire. He was having nightmares that some people thought Vitali could have beaten him... He's pissed. But that's his fault. He could have trained hard and went with the rematch. He chose to retire. So be it. But shut up. He's not doing boxing any good by talking.

I for one hopes he comes back...

I would love to see on of the Klits Knock his a$$ into a coma!
Lil-lightsout
Finally! Now we can see Lewis-Bowe as pros to see who is the best.
Mean Mister Mustard
I hope he doesn't come back. I don't think he'd be as good as Vitali at this point and I would not want to see Lewis lose to him. Vitali is still pissed he lost to Lewis.
BrutalBodyShots
$100M ... lmao

lloyd mayflower
i loved lewis back in the day, but nowadays i cant help feeling, that he talks the utmost shit everytime a mike is placed in front of him. so the 100M thing is no surprise. loved him as a fighter, but stay retired, and consider retiring from the pundit game also lennox.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 23 2008, 03:48 PM) [snapback]412566[/snapback]
$100M ... lmao

laugh.gif
JonnyBlaze
Lennox isn't coming back..

Close the thread!!
STEVENSKI
The Klit boys could not have beaten Lewis if they both fought him with baseball bats.

Lennox is a legend & ATG something the vagina brothers will never be.
BrutalBodyShots
So Lennox feels a "comeback" fight would be worth roughly 4X the amount of the highest purses ever paid to fighters. Unreal.

alaganza
Definately not a Lewis fan. But at least when he was in the game there was a higher level of stability.

The funny thing about it is..... A 43 year old fighter with a 5 1/2 year layoff could actually win the title. That is the sad state of the heavies nowadays.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(alaganza @ Nov 24 2008, 09:02 PM) [snapback]412812[/snapback]
The funny thing about it is..... A 43 year old fighter with a 5 1/2 year layoff could actually win the title. That is the sad state of the heavies nowadays.

If Lewis is serious about a comeback then I think he should go the George Foreman route. Fight some BUMs, STIFFs, and Tomato Cans before taking a big fight...

Hell, who should Lewis get as a trainer if he's really serious about a comeback?
BGv2.0
Lennox Lewis is NOT coming back. That's why he tossed out a insane amount...

BUT...I only hear people complaining about Lewis running his mouth which is being a little one sided. BOTH....Lewis and Vitali have been running their mouths for years about what should have could have and would have been in regard to a rematch.

If you are aggrivated at Lewis constantly talking about what WOULD have happened....you need to be just as aggrivated with the fact that Vitali just will NOT LET THE SHIT GO!

As a HW fan (as much as I hate to admit that nowadays) I agree with much of what Lewis said in that statement. All of the interesting HW personalities are gone...or soon will be. These new guys suck ass in every regard INCLUDING the Klits....they are as boring as boring can be.

This is why I for one am quite happy with the Rock/Wlad matchup.....unlike many....at least I know there will be plenty of interesting quotes prior to fight time from at least one of the fighters.

And what he said about Vitali was/is true....instead of crying for 5 years about a re-match he did not get he should have been taking care of business in the ring and creating a legacy of his own and not a "What if" pipe dream.

I've always said that Vitali's "reign" as HW champion was the most pathetic I had seen since Riddick Bowe's....and actually when you look at it....(a win over a fat out of shape golfer for the title, a defense against a fat out of shape Danny Williams followed by 5 pull outs of a Rock fight and retirement)....it's IMHO the single worst ever.

If the guy had shut up about a rematch....took out Rock....took out a handful of other decent, not even top comp....it would have been respectable. As it stands he did not and it looks like shit.

I myself have always loved the fact that Lewis denied Vitali and the masses a rematch.....LL never got any respect fram a large multitude of the boxing public.....IMHO denying them that so wanted rematch was his way of saying "fuck you..." to all those people.

Because lets face it....people only wanted a rematch simply because it was not the result they desired. Lewis could fight Vitali OR Wlad 5-10 times and if every one was close....Klit fans and Lewis detractors were going to demand a rematch until they got their desired result.

In relation to his views on the division....all he's speaking is the truth!
King Eugene
Lewis can kiss ass and suck rocks for all I care. I use to like Lewis the slightest little bit but after he beat an over the hill Tyson and bragged so heavily about it, I aint liked him since. I dont think he could beat Riddick Bowe at this point, hell even Evander would give him problems now. Both Klitz would whoop that ass. I thought he was on the way to knocking Vitali out but if they fought again I'd pick Vitali by late round stoppage all the way.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 25 2008, 02:49 AM) [snapback]412833[/snapback]
Lewis can kiss ass and suck rocks for all I care. I use to like Lewis the slightest little bit but after he beat an over the hill Tyson and bragged so heavily about it, I aint liked him since. I dont think he could beat Riddick Bowe at this point, hell even Evander would give him problems now. Both Klitz would whoop that ass. I thought he was on the way to knocking Vitali out but if they fought again I'd pick Vitali by late round stoppage all the way.

I saw Vitali about to KO Lennox in a round-3 rounds in the fight..Vitali had the cut but wasn't hurt at all..Did ya see Lennox after the fight??He just stood in his corner getting his little baby cut worked on while Vitali was all over the ring saying no that he wanted the fight to continue..I've watched that fight a insane amount of times,Lennox was ready to go..He was drained and got lucky the cut happened..

By the way,I'm a huge Lennox fan..He's definitely one of my all time favorites..Also one of the best heavyweights ever..I'm tired soo I'll say top 20 without thinking about it..He could be lower but don't want to think about it yet..
torvix2000
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Nov 25 2008, 08:55 AM) [snapback]412842[/snapback]
I saw Vitali about to KO Lennox in a round-3 rounds in the fight..Vitali had the cut but wasn't hurt at all..Did ya see Lennox after the fight??He just stood in his corner getting his little baby cut worked on while Vitali was all over the ring saying no that he wanted the fight to continue..I've watched that fight a insane amount of times,Lennox was ready to go..He was drained and got lucky the cut happened..

The cut happened. Lennox won. He retired. Vitali was so pissed he wanted a rematch. Lewis retired. Vitali wanted to fight. Lennox wanted to retire.

Lennox knew before hand that if he retired, then he'd get pissed by Vitali calling him again and again saying how Vitali would win the rematch. But Lennox decided to go with his retirement.

So let Lewis live with this "predicament". It's fun hearing from him from time to time.
buford54
If Lewis is satisfied with retiring on that kind of win...more power to him.
As a fan, I say he has unfinished business. He was rubbing his dreads into Vitali's eye during their clinches for a reason. He didn't have enough gas to make it 12 rounds and he wanted that fight to be over.

That said, if he doesn't have the fire to get up 100% for a fight, he needs to stay out of the game.
rusty_trombone
Lewis is in no condition to comeback. I would expect Vitali to whoop his ass if he does come back
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(buford54 @ Nov 25 2008, 09:05 AM) [snapback]412848[/snapback]
If Lewis is satisfied with retiring on that kind of win...more power to him.

I actually think that was a great win to go out on. Unmotivated, out of shape and over the hill yet he still managed to stop the best of the next generation inside the distance.

Better to go out like that than on your back, no? Or on your ass looking up at a guy who a few years earlier wouldn't have lasted three minutes with you.

What great heavyweight other than Marciano was able to leave on a better note than Lennox?
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(3King3 @ Nov 25 2008, 02:49 AM) [snapback]412833[/snapback]
I use to like Lewis the slightest little bit but after he beat an over the hill Tyson and bragged so heavily about it, I aint liked him since.

That's silly. Lewis never made that huge a deal about beating Tyson when he did. It was the media and fans (I'm betting you were one of them too) who kept saying prior to them fighting that Lewis hadn't accomplished shit cause he hadn't beaten Tyson.

Lewis needed the Tyson fight for his legacy. Didn't matter how shot Mike was. To the mainstream he was still that generation's benchmark for heavyweight greatness.

If Lewis hadn't fought Mike in 2002, claiming Mike was too old and it would be a massacre, he would have been eaten alive by the press. He did what he had to do.

Lewis wanted to fight Tyson in 1996 when he became his WBC mandatory but Tyson paid him $4 million step aside money to let him unify first against Seldon and then dropped the WBC belt.

It ain't LL's fault Tyson let himself go to shit like that and their fight was such a blowout.

Don't hate. Appreciate.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 26 2008, 02:01 PM) [snapback]413019[/snapback]
I actually think that was a great win to go out on. Unmotivated, out of shape and over the hill yet he still managed to stop the best of the next generation inside the distance.

Better to go out like that than on your back, no? Or on your ass looking up at a guy who a few years earlier wouldn't have lasted three minutes with you.

What great heavyweight other than Marciano was able to leave on a better note than Lennox?

I agree with you he was out of shape and unmotivated in the fight with Vitali, that was easy to see watching him in there look like shit. But I personally think it would have been better to shut everyone up, and give Vitali an immediate rematch(when his cut fully healed). He should have sucked it up and trained properly one more time and proved to everybody the first fight was a fluke, due to his poor preparation, just like he did when he erased all doubts in the Rahman rematch. If he would have done this, we would not still be talking about this fight and hearing crazy stories like Lennox was scared of Vitali and thats why he retired, and stuff like that. Or maybe Lennox just no longer had the desire to push himself in the gym anymore, I don't know.

Big Slim Sweet
Oh I agree it definitely would have been better, and I think Lewis wanted to do just that. That's probably why it took him eight months to retire. He kept delaying putting the work in the gym until he realized he just didn't have the motivation to return.

Had Vitali been able to take advantage of what he had in front of him that night instead of coming up short like he did, I'm sure LL would have found the proper motivation. But in the end he probably figured, 'Why come back just to avenge a win?'

Lewis was 38 too. It's not like he retired too young. He was getting up there in age.

He made the right call IMO.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Nov 25 2008, 12:53 AM) [snapback]412829[/snapback]
Lennox Lewis is NOT coming back. That's why he tossed out a insane amount...

yeah, i think he was just pointing out that it would take something like $100 million to get him to come back. i don't think he was trying to start a purse bid or anything.

i'm fairly sure lennox thought about what kind of shape he would have to get in to beat vitali and decided at his age that he didn't have the proper motivation. it also kind of worked out okay because people could look at lennox retiring as him saying, "this is going to be the new champ, i'm not interested in fighting him again." especially since vitali was very adamant about continuing the fight. lennox went out as a champ and the new champ didn't lose any respect. too bad that it hasn't really done much for the heavyweight division.
neophyte7
Lewis ripped half of Vitali's face the fuck off--- and at the conclusion of the round prior to the stoppage- Vitali was rocked by some serious upper cuts that had him wobbling to his corner, really Lews was not in good shapem but the last two rounds he pounded Vitali prior to the stoppage... Vital lost because his face was ripped open by a Lewis punch--- HE LOST
D-MARV
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Nov 30 2008, 08:29 PM) [snapback]413482[/snapback]
Lewis ripped half of Vitali's face the fuck off--- and at the conclusion of the round prior to the stoppage- Vitali was rocked by some serious upper cuts that had him wobbling to his corner, really Lews was not in good shapem but the last two rounds he pounded Vitali prior to the stoppage... Vital lost because his face was ripped open by a Lewis punch--- HE LOST

I don't recall Vitaly wobbling to his corner. I recall him getting caught with some good shots but he took them and he gave just as good as he recieved!
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 30 2008, 08:49 PM) [snapback]413487[/snapback]
I don't recall Vitaly wobbling to his corner. I recall him getting caught with some good shots but he took them and he gave just as good as he recieved!

Nah... if he gave as good as he received Lewis' eye would have been falling out of the socket as well.

D-MARV
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 30 2008, 10:13 PM) [snapback]413499[/snapback]
Nah... if he gave as good as he received Lewis' eye would have been falling out of the socket as well.

his eye may have been fucked up but he was ahead on all the scorecards and he rocked Lewis on more than one occasion!
torvix2000
Have you noticed that "regrets" show in Lennox's face everytime a Klitz win? He'd appear in an interview again and again. That's his fault. So he has to live with it.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Dec 1 2008, 07:42 AM) [snapback]413517[/snapback]
Have you noticed that "regrets" show in Lennox's face everytime a Klitz win? He'd appear in an interview again and again. That's his fault. So he has to live with it.

I think you are delusional!

Name one time where you could could SEE "regret" on his face.

Yeah.....ugly wins with the likes of Sanders and Williams and pulling out of 5 Rock matches......that's a LOT to regret! rolleyes_anim.gif

The only people that "regret" not having a rematch are the Klit fans that are pissed that their guy came up short.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 30 2008, 11:16 PM) [snapback]413500[/snapback]
his eye may have been fucked up but he was ahead on all the scorecards and he rocked Lewis on more than one occasion!

I actually thought Vitali was exposed for lacking serious one-punch power in that fight, cause he had plenty of open shots at LL's chin and couldn't do anything with it.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 1 2008, 12:22 PM) [snapback]413543[/snapback]
I actually thought Vitali was exposed for lacking serious one-punch power in that fight, cause he had plenty of open shots at LL's chin and couldn't do anything with it.

He hurt Lewis a few times but he couldn't put him away because Lewis has a pretty good chin... Very Underrated.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 1 2008, 01:25 PM) [snapback]413544[/snapback]
He hurt Lewis a few times but he couldn't put him away because Lewis has a pretty good chin... Very Underrated.

I agree Lewis's chin was never as bad as people would say, but it was still clearly crackable, and Vitali couldn't do it.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 1 2008, 12:28 PM) [snapback]413546[/snapback]
I agree Lewis's chin was never as bad as people would say, but it was still clearly crackable, and Vitali couldn't do it.

Neither could Tua, Tyson, Grant, Holyfield, Briggs... Are they exposed as well?
BGv2.0
I've always questioned the Klits supposed HUGE power.

They are HUGE, naturally strong men and they do have high KO % rates. BUT....if you look at most of their KOs.....they are mid-late round KOs. Which is more an indication of beating down your opponent with your sheer strength and size....and not so much your power.

As for the Lewis/Vitali match. I myself thought the tide was turning big time for Lewis. Even if Vitali's face was able to last...I think Lewis had found a HUGE chink in Vitali's armor with the uppercut that he was starting to land at will. I always respected Vitali for that showing...BUT did keep it in perspective as far as what it was. Lewis was not a young fighter at that time, had been through the entire HW division and was badly out of shape....and under those conditions....Vitali gave him a good fight...but in the end got stopped due to severe damage.

I myself think Lewis would have come into a rematch in better shape and won in even more exciting fashion. BUT....I will never know. AND....unlike thousands of Klit fans I'm fine with that.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 1 2008, 02:04 PM) [snapback]413551[/snapback]
Neither could Tua, Tyson, Grant, Holyfield, Briggs... Are they exposed as well?

Those guys didn't face the same unfocused, undisciplined Lennox that Vitali did. Lennox wasn't one to offer up free cracks at his chin too often, but against Vitali he was doing just that.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 1 2008, 04:29 PM) [snapback]413563[/snapback]
Those guys didn't face the same unfocused, undisciplined Lennox that Vitali did. Lennox wasn't one to offer up free cracks at his chin too often, but against Vitali he was doing just that.

Yes he was. You know, lots of people complain about how Lewis was ALWAYS safety first.....and I never agreed with that assessment. There were times during his career where he would slug it out and take shots. I think he was the type of guy that if he had it in his head that he was not going to go down....he was not going to go down.

The two shots that caught him shots that were offered up by what seemed like light opposition....but when he had real tests in front of him..I think he prepared himself mentally to take whatever was going to come his way.

Lewis/Bruno/Tucker/Mercer/Vitali were all good examples of this. For sure the Mercer fight....he held his own toe to toe with swollen eyes and all and gave as good as he recieved.

Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Dec 1 2008, 05:29 PM) [snapback]413568[/snapback]
Yes he was. You know, lots of people complain about how Lewis was ALWAYS safety first.....and I never agreed with that assessment. There were times during his career where he would slug it out and take shots. I think he was the type of guy that if he had it in his head that he was not going to go down....he was not going to go down.

The two shots that caught him shots that were offered up by what seemed like light opposition....but when he had real tests in front of him..I think he prepared himself mentally to take whatever was going to come his way.

Lewis/Bruno/Tucker/Mercer/Vitali were all good examples of this. For sure the Mercer fight....he held his own toe to toe with swollen eyes and all and gave as good as he recieved.

Agreed. I've said it before, the only real stinker of a fight IMO that Lewis ever was in was against Tua, and you can't really fault him for that considering Tua's prodigous power and the fact that he thought the Tyson payday was next.

The Mercer fight was a terrific toe-to-toe battle.
Thegreatequalizer
don't forget that the cut that vitali suffered was from the stitching on the thumb of the glove. it's clear in the replay.
D-MARV
LOL... Lennox Lewis said he will come out of retirement to fight Riddick Bowe for free!
King Eugene
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 26 2008, 02:10 PM) [snapback]413021[/snapback]
That's silly. Lewis never made that huge a deal about beating Tyson when he did. It was the media and fans (I'm betting you were one of them too) who kept saying prior to them fighting that Lewis hadn't accomplished shit cause he hadn't beaten Tyson.

Lewis needed the Tyson fight for his legacy. Didn't matter how shot Mike was. To the mainstream he was still that generation's benchmark for heavyweight greatness.

If Lewis hadn't fought Mike in 2002, claiming Mike was too old and it would be a massacre, he would have been eaten alive by the press. He did what he had to do.

Lewis wanted to fight Tyson in 1996 when he became his WBC mandatory but Tyson paid him $4 million step aside money to let him unify first against Seldon and then dropped the WBC belt.

It ain't LL's fault Tyson let himself go to shit like that and their fight was such a blowout.

Don't hate. Appreciate.

What? Are you serious? How did that do anything for his legacy? Thats just like saying just cause Joe beat a shot Jones that sealed his legacy. And before the Tyson fight I didn't think there was anything else out there for him to accomplish cause he did everything that was needed to make in an ATG and beating Tyson wouldn't have done nothing to add to it at that time in his career.

So I DONT HATE LL for beating Tyson, I just dont like the fact that he actually thought he beat a primed opponent.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Dec 1 2008, 03:28 PM) [snapback]413557[/snapback]
I've always questioned the Klits supposed HUGE power.

They are HUGE, naturally strong men and they do have high KO % rates. BUT....if you look at most of their KOs.....they are mid-late round KOs. Which is more an indication of beating down your opponent with your sheer strength and size....and not so much your power.

As for the Lewis/Vitali match. I myself thought the tide was turning big time for Lewis. Even if Vitali's face was able to last...I think Lewis had found a HUGE chink in Vitali's armor with the uppercut that he was starting to land at will. I always respected Vitali for that showing...BUT did keep it in perspective as far as what it was. Lewis was not a young fighter at that time, had been through the entire HW division and was badly out of shape....and under those conditions....Vitali gave him a good fight...but in the end got stopped due to severe damage.

I myself think Lewis would have come into a rematch in better shape and won in even more exciting fashion. BUT....I will never know. AND....unlike thousands of Klit fans I'm fine with that.

The Klitchko's are smart with their power unlike most guys..They don't throw bombs everytime..They wear you down,then get the KO..Vitali didn't throw and serious bombs on Peter since he wanted to soften him up then throw the big shots..Both Klitchkos have a lot of power in my opinion,they just use it wisely now instead of what they used to do..It's very noticable to me..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 1 2008, 11:36 PM) [snapback]413641[/snapback]
LOL... Lennox Lewis said he will come out of retirement to fight Riddick Bowe for free!

I can believe that,but I bet Riddick still doesn't want a piece of Lennox..
Fpsnut
QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Dec 1 2008, 03:34 PM) [snapback]413575[/snapback]
don't forget that the cut that vitali suffered was from the stitching on the thumb of the glove. it's clear in the replay.

His face was totally shredded if you ever saw the close up. Possible a swipe opened one cut, but how do you explain 2 or so other cuts? I think it was due to power shots, I didn't see anything in the replays.
BigG
Vitali looked battered by the end of round 6, Lewis looked tired. Vitali landed more punches but no question Lewis was landing the harder ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.