Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Angulo vs. Mayorga &
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Elijah
Undefeated junior welterweight sensation ALFREDO “Perro” ANGULO of Mexico, has picked up the scent of his next victim – former world champion Ricardo Mayorga. The Angulo-Mayorga junior middleweight rumble will take place on February 14, 2009 – Valentine’s Day – and will be televised live on HBO. “I’m going to leave forget-me-knots all over his nicotine-stained face,” growled Angulo, whose nickname “Perro” translates to “dog” in English. “Mayorga isn’t going to have to wait until the last second to get knocked out like he did with Shane Mosley. I’m going after him like a dog on a bone the second the first bell rings. He is so done.” Added Gary Shaw, Angulo’s promoter, “I don’t know what possessed Mayorga to accept this fight. Maybe they should be checking the contents on of his cigarettes!”Angulo (14-0, 11 KOs), of Mexico is riding a 10-bout victory-by-knockout streak dating back to 2006. The former Mexican Olympian is currently world-rated No. 3 by the WBC, No. 5 by the WBO and No. 8 by the IBF. Mayorga (28-7-1, 22 KOs), from Nicaragua, has a resume that boasts victories over Vernon Forrest, Fernando Vargas and Andrew Lewis and world titles in the welterweight and super welterweight divisions.

Shaw also announced that Ali Funeka (30-1-2, 25 KOs), of South Africa, the IBF’s No. 1-rated lightweight contender and mandatory challenger, would be making his U.S. debut, when he takes on world lightweight champion Nate Campbell (32-5-1, 25 KOs), from Tampa, in the co-main event.

I know Mayorga doesn't have much to offer anymore, but for Angulo to be fighting him in only his 15th pro fight says a lot about him. It will definitely be interesting to see how well he does and if he can manage to turn out Mayorgas lights earlier than his last few opponents it will surely open some eyes that haven't already been open.

Campbell/Funeka should be a decent match too.
Mean Mister Mustard
It will be an entertaining fight but one wonders if Angulo is ready. Since hitting it big Mayorga has only lost to elite opposition. He has faster hands than angulo and his defense and footwork have improved. Angulo has shown maturity at this level of his career but this is the best opponent he will have faced. I think Shaw believes that because Mosley knocked him out Mayorga is somehow less dangerous.

As for Funeka fighting Campbell, I can't wait for that one. Funeka looks like a freak and he showed power against Raheem, could be the dark horse of the division.
kidbazooka1
I don't know I give Mayorga a good chance at taking Angulo out.
D-MARV
Angulo Vs Mayorga! What a FUN fight!
BrutalBodyShots
Has Angulo ever fought about 140 pounds? What weight is this fight being fought at? I can't imagine that Mayorga would be able to get any lower than 147, so I'm assuming there. That said, bumping up from 140 to 147 against Mayorga (who's BIG at 147 and will be 160 come fight night) isn't very smart IMO.

D-MARV
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 25 2008, 08:30 PM) [snapback]412933[/snapback]
Has Angulo ever fought about 140 pounds? What weight is this fight being fought at? I can't imagine that Mayorga would be able to get any lower than 147, so I'm assuming there. That said, bumping up from 140 to 147 against Mayorga (who's BIG at 147 and will be 160 come fight night) isn't very smart IMO.

?????

Dude, Angulo is and has always fought at 154!
Lil-lightsout
Sounds like an exciting card, should be two entertaining fights. Really looking forward to seeing Funeka fight.
Douchebag
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 25 2008, 08:36 PM) [snapback]412936[/snapback]
?????

Beat me to it. I think Mayorga stops this kid a solidifies his spot as a gatekeeper. Berto-Mayorga next.
Fitz
I think Mayorga could be one of the best-shittest fighters I have seen. For the skills he shows, he shouldn't have achieved what he has achieved, and I think he has done quite well for what he has got.
To be honest, I actually think he has improved a bit recently, the thing that seems to have declined is his durability though, he isn't quite (still tough) as tough as he was pre-Trinidad. No way in hell Mosley could have stopped the Mayorga that night.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 25 2008, 08:36 PM) [snapback]412936[/snapback]
?????

Ah... the article above is incorrect then as it should read "junior middleweight" not "junior welterweight." I've never seen the guy fight and that article called him a 140 pounder. You could see my concern then if that were true, lol.

D-MARV
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 26 2008, 12:40 AM) [snapback]412955[/snapback]
Ah... the article above is incorrect then as it should read "junior middleweight" not "junior welterweight." I've never seen the guy fight and that article called him a 140 pounder. You could see my concern then if that were true, lol.

Oh well, didn't notice that article's mistake!

But anyone who follows the 154lb division knows that Angulo and Kirkland are the rising stars!
Chi-Town
I was very excited to see that this fight was made and I'm glad to see thhat you guys are too. I've always said that I'm not of the belief that two fighters have to be "super-elite" fighters to make an entertaining fight. This is a great contrast of styles and clash of personalities. I'm looking forward to the press conferences as much as the fight.
Mean Mister Mustard
If the Campbell-Funeka fight is on the undercard this could be a night I'll be looking foward too.
salvador
Amazing card, but I'm disappointed that Campbell is fighting on ANYONE'S undercard. Campbell deserves a big payday after the Diaz fight and this ain't the way to go about getting one.
D-MARV
Nate Campbell might be in trouble... He's in there with a puncher who is long and Nate has been off for a while.
BigG
Give Nate a ton of credit for taking this fight...He will truly fight anyone
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.