Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cornerman Styles
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
hitman harding
Is there any real tactics ?

Floyd Sr. resorts to "motherf**ker this, motherf**ker that" in between rounds instead of giving actual advice it looks daft. I remember a fight when Floyds fighter was struggling and the advice he gave was something along the lines of "beat this guys ass, whoop him" What kind of advice is that !!

Goosen did a good job with Corrales v Castillo. He seemed to get Chico focused between rounds and hungry to win.

Who do you guys rate as a great tactical cornerman ?Does it really make a differents ?
mrwigi
QUOTE(hitman harding @ Nov 27 2008, 03:58 PM) [snapback]413123[/snapback]
Is there any real tactics ?

Floyd Sr. resorts to "motherf**ker this, motherf**ker that" in between rounds instead of giving actual advice it looks daft. I remember a fight when Floyds fighter was struggling and the advice he gave was something along the lines of "beat this guys ass, whoop him" What kind of advice is that !!

Goosen did a good job with Corrales v Castillo. He seemed to get Chico focused between rounds and hungry to win.

Who do you guys rate as a great tactical cornerman ?Does it really make a differents ?

Honestly, it all depends on the experience of the fighter, and there maturity level. An experienced fighter really doesnt need anyone in his corner. He is able to make an adjustment anytime in the fight. Aside from that, some young fighters may need a little advice. Floyd Sr. calls himself the best trainer because of what he does b4 the fight. But i agree mother fuck this ,mother fuck that.. Its comical, but not very helpful to an inexperienced fighter.
ROLL DEEP
It all depends on the fighters character too.

An fighters who is more of an introvert may like a quieter corner with tactics, so they can focus, whereas an extrovert may fight better when pumped up and 'in the zone' so to speak, so they may need to be shouted at to get amped.

Tactics are a must, imo.....the only thing that should change is how about the cornerman gets his message across.
STEVENSKI
I think the most inspiring advice I have ever heard are the following.

"Ya gotta just ZIP BOOM BAM" & the all time "Brrrrrrrrrrrrp"

ROLL DEEP
Or Brenden Ingle to Naz:

In an Irish accent.

'Ping, ping, ping....den hit him wit'cha bombs'
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Nov 27 2008, 05:13 PM) [snapback]413128[/snapback]
the all time "Brrrrrrrrrrrrp"

I kill myself laughing when I think of that. WTF is 'Brrrrrrrrrrrp'? Hahaha.
BigG
Norman Stone sometimes cracks me up in the corner, what a short-tempered bastard.
Lil-lightsout
Or you could get some real stellar advice from Pavliks trainer, "atleast we still got the middleweight belt", or something like that.

I always did like Goosen the way he HONESTLY spoke to his fighters between rounds. He always gave actual advice too.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 27 2008, 10:28 PM) [snapback]413134[/snapback]
Yeah I have never heard "brrrrrrrp". Link me to the video of it, or where it happened.

I don't have any video but it was Snr saying it to Oscar pantie man in a fight.

Something along the lines of "yagaddajus brrrrrp brrrrp" It has been mentioned 1000 times on here & is a all time classic bit of advice.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 27 2008, 05:32 PM) [snapback]413140[/snapback]
Yep, Pavlik's corner are fools. It was "we may have lost the fight, but we still have the title".

Yeah, thanks. His trainer SHOULD have been saying something like you need a knockout, so start loading up on your right hand and try to take his head off. His fighter is a KO puncher, atleast TRY for the knockout. It is like Jack Lowe was basically telling Pavlik it is ok to give up. Kind of like when Andrade was getting outboxed by Bute most of there fight, and he almost got the last second KO. Andrade never gave up.
BigG
I think tt was the Vargas fight but I could be wrong...but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
STEVENSKI
I think it was that fight between the 10th & 11th.

He said something along the lines of.

Insert crazy crackhead voice

Oooh Yeah, you know what time it is baby, you go out there & kick his ass my style, Brrrrrrrrp, yeah, Brrrrrrp Brrrrrrp, Baby yeah my style ha ha baby.

Something like that but it must be said in the crazed crackhead voice to make any sense along with bobbing of the head & shaking of dreads.
frankypc
The worst ive heard was Papa Trinidad in the winky fight saying. "Now in this next round when you hit him, hit him harder" or something like that, and i was like WTF?! and well we all know what happened in that fight.
D-MARV

Enjoy Fellaz! Floyd Sr is at 5:21
BigG
LOL at that first guy with the afro
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 28 2008, 04:29 AM) [snapback]413198[/snapback]
LOL at that first guy with the afro

Yeah, he was all F*cked Up!
PR316
Roger Mayweather in between rounds to his nephew in the De La Hoya fight.

"Let the bitch get tired a little bit, all he doing is walkin in, he ain't doin shit he just walkin in"

"You whoopin his ass, but now you gotta really whoop his ass".(Meanwhile Leonard Ellerbe says to Floyd "They're giving him credit for coming forward, he aint doing shit)

"You gotta pull it out like a champ, listen to me, box the SHIT out of him!!"..

Billy Grahm in between rounds to Ricky Hatton

"Just nullify him, and if you can't get anything, diffuse the situation"

What in the hell is that??!!...

hitman harding
QUOTE(PR316 @ Nov 28 2008, 11:25 AM) [snapback]413203[/snapback]

"Let the bitch get tired a little bit, all he doing is walkin in, he ain't doin shit he just walkin in"

"You whoopin his ass, but now you gotta really whoop his ass".(Meanwhile Leonard Ellerbe says to Floyd "They're giving him credit for coming forward, he aint doing shit)

The American translation would sound like this
Ricky if you miss grab him,If trys too push you off give him a few rabbit punch.If he gets dirty go down stairs with low blow. What ever happens the refs on our side !!!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(PR316 @ Nov 28 2008, 10:25 AM) [snapback]413203[/snapback]

Those sound like instructions you get at the Police Academy not a boxing corner.
D-MARV
The shit Norm Stone used to tell Jawny was Classic!
PR316
Don Felix to Tito after the 5th round I think, of the Winky Wright fight

"When you hit him Tito, you have to hit him hard!!"

Baldomir's trainer in between rounds against Mayweather

"He's getting tired. Keep up like this the next couple of rounds and then we're gonna kill him"

I'll never forget Julio Cesar Chavez's trainer in between rounds during the Meldrick Taylor fight

"For the love of God!!!,,, Julio, do it for your FAMILY!!!...

Teddy Atlas used to trip me out. Whether it was with Michael Moorer, Junior Jones, or Michael Grant

"Your son is on the phone crying right now wondering why his daddy doesn't want to be heavyweight champion"

"Close your eyes and think back to how when you first started to box, use that to give me 9 more minutes"

I'll never forget Nazim telling Hopkins in between rounds of the 2nd fight with Taylor

"Your doing enough to win the fight, your not doing enough to win the politics". SPOT ON...

Method
Naazim Richardson is one of the best.
King Eugene
Naz is one of the best no doubt. I think in the corner a lot of trainers be just as amped as the fighters thats why they make most of the comments they make. As far as in the gym training I got to give it to Big Floyd though, he gets his fighters prepared real well.

But Roger is funny as hell during the fight. He is just there for support. I dont think there is much he can or has taught Floyd, cause Floyd knows damn near everything he needs to do. Ever noticed how Roger be talking to Floyd in the corner and Floyd hardly ever looks at him or listen to him. Hell every other word is a curse word anyway. LOL I think Floyd listens to Ellerbee more than he does Roger. I even heard him once turn and say,"What did my Daddy say."

But to me a good trainer helps develop fighters and not just one fighter, into good boxers. I'm a fan of Floyds but what other champion has Roger trained?

I'd like to see Benard, Roy, Tyson, and Mayweather as trainers one day though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.