Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO: Arreola vs. Walker/Phillips vs. Williams 9PM CST RBR/Postfight
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
For all the action/reactions to tonight's HBO Boxing DoubleHeader: Arreloa vs. Walker and Phillips vs. Williams. Keep everything in this thread.

Jack

Administrator
D-MARV
Dare I SaY!!!!!!!!! We have a helluva heavyweight fight on our hands!
dbdbdb
Arreola vs. Walker is turning out to be one hell of a fight!!!!!

D-MARV
Arreola took some flush shots........... He betta get serious now!
D-MARV
Went how I expected with the exception of the Knockdown of Arreola!
The CEO
Yeah...that was entertaining....toughman style...Arreola's lucky Walker decided to trade with him...
JD
Arreola should get a few more fights in before fighting one of the Klitschko's...to me, he looks like he is going backwards.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Damn, that was one hell of a fight. I knew Walker would give Arreola all he would handle, but didn't know if he could keep it up. Guess we found out. Ya know, I'll give Arreola a lot of credit. Many will write him off, and say that he got exposed for what he is, but he showed a ton of heart. Many fighters would of got beat tonight the way Walker came out. Walker fought one hell of a fight, but Arreola just walked through him. I'm not going to say he would beat Klitschko, but if he can walk through Klitschko's shots and not get tangled up on the inside he could make some noise. He's a tough dude, and will make for some great fights.
D-MARV
How can you not Love Chris Arreola! He is what the Heavyweight Division needs
dbdbdb
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Nov 29 2008, 10:21 PM) [snapback]413377[/snapback]
Yeah...that was entertaining....toughman style...Arreola's lucky Walker decided to trade with him...

Yeah, that's what it seemed like ....... forget any display ..... Let's just get it on!!!!!
The CEO
Arreola would get precision power punched into submission by either one of the Klitschkos....if a Travis Walker was owning him for a round and half with his combinations....think what a Klitschko would do to him....

He would have a puncher's chance just like Haye would have.....
The CEO
"The Spoiler" vs. The Punisher....Williams should win this....but I learned a long time ago to never count Verno out....
Mean Mister Mustard
Williams working the body. Phillips is a fast starter but he is known to fade in the middle rounds so Williams should keep going to the midsection. but already you can see Williams gets hit too easily.
The CEO
Williams showing excellent composure even though he was badly cut above the right eye from an accidental heabutt in the 1st round....

and Verno is definitely not liking it to the body....already opening his mouth like a fish outta water...

4-0 Williams
dbdbdb
PW's bodywork has taken Phillips out of the fight.
The CEO
Phillips just swinging with wild hooks when he can....he's desperate...

Wait...fight's stopped...goes to the cards....

Should be Williams by shutout....
D-MARV
PWILL

TKO 8
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
That fight was a beating. I'd still love to see Margarito-Williams 2, but who knows when that will happen. Verno has always been one tough dude, and has been one hell of a champ. Not a bad fight tonight
dbdbdb
NO Cards necessary ...... Phillips QUIT!!!
The CEO
My bad...doctor stops the fight because of VERNO.....wow....good lookin' stoppage for Williams....
Mean Mister Mustard
Williams looked as good as he had to against a 39 year old but he was getting tagged too much.
D-MARV
That was a beating! But Verno has some real Heart! He caught PWill with some good shots, Good Job tonight. He was just up against the better man.
JD
I think 154 is a good weight for Williams.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Nov 29 2008, 11:13 PM) [snapback]413395[/snapback]
I think 154 is a good weight for Williams.

Agreed! But he has to tighten up that Defense! Santos and Dzinziruk would be more competitive.
The CEO
I'm starting to think Williams has supreme confidence in his chin, guys....it's like he don't mind takin' head shots at all....lol....dude is focused.

With Mayweather Junior out of the picture.....Williams is #1 at 47 and 54....
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 29 2008, 11:18 PM) [snapback]413396[/snapback]
Agreed! But he has to tighten up that Defense! Santos and Dzinziruk would be more competitive.

Yes, he needs to tighten up that D BIG TIME. I would to see him fight Sergio Martinez.
EpTXCHAMP
going out on a limb....but ill call it spinks vs williams in 09 after spinks beats latimore. hey its a name for paul and would be interesting to see how paul handles a boxer like spinks even though I think it'll be boring lol

as for Pauls Defense obviously isnt great hell maybe not even good but his chin makes up for it. If paul would work on his defense I dont see anyone from 154 and under beating him
Mean Mister Mustard
I have said in other threads how scary it is that Williams doesn't even flinch to flush shots but even if it continues to hold up his facial tissues might not.
BoxingStill#1
Berto anyone?.....I think it would make a good fight. (even if it would look like david and goliath).......
Lil-lightsout
If Arreola is the best American heavyweight we have, we are in trouble.

Williams impressed me tonight, I thought Verno would have giving Paul a little more trouble in there. PW did a fine job in there tonight, especially how cool he was after being cut in the first round. Like JD stated, PW looked like 154 is right for him, he looked like a beast in there. He does seem to have a great chin too, but in the future he should use his physical assets more and he will not get hit as much. He should have kept Verno at the end of his punches most of the fight, instead of all that inside trading. Maybe one day he might pay for that with someone a little better. Regardless, he did what he had to do, and hopefully we can see him in there when the cut heals with a stiffer test. I am not on the PW bandwagon yet, but it looks like with his size, chin, stamina, desire, poise, he is on the right track.
Jack 1000
Great Arreola-Walker fight!

We know that Arreola can bounce back when hurt! What action by these two bombing heavyweights! I would love to see Arreola fight David Haye next! Chris did look a little soft in the midsection. I have concerns how well he can show the abilities he showed tonight by getting into the middle to late rounds. I think he needs 2 more fights with guys who have great chins and who could take him into the middle to late rounds. With Wlad's suspect chin (Corrie Sanders), sure "Nipples" could win that even now. But he needs more than counting on a punch and the suspect chin of Wlad to give him a chance to win. Haye would be perfect.

Main event. I did give Phillips round 2, but other than that, a beat-down by Williams. He did a good job in there against the faded, but game veteran.

Jack
BigG
P-Will dominated.

And Arreola is a really likeable person/fighter. He can punch but I'm just not sure if he can beat the best. I'd LOVE to see him in against Samuel Peter.
salvador
The more I think about it the more I want to see Clottey in with Williams.

Clottey will be able to hang for 12 rounds without too much trouble and he's got quick, heavy, accurate counters that could take Williams off his game. I'd still pick Williams by a semi-comfortable decision, but I think it would be a great fight.

154 could turn out to be the great division that ww was supposed to be with Williams, Angulo, Martinez, Forrest, Kirkland, and Mayorga as gatekeeper. There's a bunch of fights in there I'd love to see.
salvador
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 30 2008, 09:23 AM) [snapback]413412[/snapback]
P-Will dominated.

And Arreola is a really likeable person/fighter. He can punch but I'm just not sure if he can beat the best. I'd LOVE to see him in against Samuel Peter.

I'm sure Peter'd love to see that fight too - to have a slowish guy coming forward all night, leaving himself wide open. Peter sure wouldn't have to box to win.

I think I'd rather see Arreola in with Haye next, more to get an idea of what Haye brings to the hw division.

D-MARV
Arreola crushes Peter as well!!! If Arreola can get in decent shape, he will be a force to be reckon with!

Arreola showed me three tings tonight:

1. He can take a punch, which I already figured

2. He has alot of heart and is a tough MoFo

3. He's a lazy Fuck and needs to get serious
salvador
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 30 2008, 11:09 AM) [snapback]413415[/snapback]
Arreola crushes Peter as well!!! If Arreola can get in decent shape, he will be a force to be reckon with!

Wow. I don't see that at all. Because I don't think Arreola can hurt Peter and Arreola will be right in front of Peter all night. I think Arreola is one of the few hw contenders that Peter (with his short arms and terrible footwork) would be able to beat fairly easily. Arreola might win the early rounds, but eventually he'd get caught.
JD
Arreola seems to be going backwards, much the way Peter has since Jeremy Williams.
D-MARV
QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 30 2008, 10:16 AM) [snapback]413416[/snapback]
Wow. I don't see that at all. Because I don't think Arreola can hurt Peter and Arreola will be right in front of Peter all night. I think Arreola is one of the few hw contenders that Peter (with his short arms and terrible footwork) would be able to beat fairly easily. Arreola might win the early rounds, but eventually he'd get caught.

The Arreola we saw last nght will get beat by Peter!

A motivated, determined, in shape Arreola KO's Peter!

Arreol can hurt anyone in the division, the man has dynamite in both hands.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Nov 30 2008, 10:17 AM) [snapback]413417[/snapback]
Arreola seems to be going backwards, much the way Peter has since Jeremy Williams.

He seems to be going backwards, but I just think that was a lack of motivation! The build up to the Walker fight, you can tell he wasn't focused... He needs to get his mind right because The sky is the limit for this cat!
Mean Mister Mustard
About a possible Williams-CLottey fight.

Clottey can't go 12 rounds without taking a breather. If Margarito could pour offense on him for 12 rounds and have him in his shell so can Williams. It would be a good fight but I'm sure Williams takes it.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 30 2008, 11:16 AM) [snapback]413422[/snapback]
About a possible Williams-CLottey fight.

Clottey can't go 12 rounds without taking a breather. If Margarito could pour offense on him for 12 rounds and have him in his shell so can Williams. It would be a good fight but I'm sure Williams takes it.

yeah, unfortunately for clottey, this is a bit of a mismatch. clottey at 5'8" would get pounded by the reach of williams. i think williams would fight inside some cause he seems to like that, but he would be able to keep clottey at the end of the jab all night.

obviously as paul williams gets better as a boxer, he's going to be close to unbeatable at 147. the question is how much longer can he still make that weight?
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Nov 30 2008, 01:10 PM) [snapback]413430[/snapback]
yeah, unfortunately for clottey, this is a bit of a mismatch. clottey at 5'8" would get pounded by the reach of williams. i think williams would fight inside some cause he seems to like that, but he would be able to keep clottey at the end of the jab all night.

obviously as paul williams gets better as a boxer, he's going to be close to unbeatable at 147. the question is how much longer can he still make that weight?

PW does seem to favor fighting on the inside even though he has the reach to pummel his opponents from the outside. As he was fighting Phillips, he started on the outside and when that wasn't effective, he got in close and started banging away. So, he is definately growing as a fighter.

I honestly don't see any of the short WW's who are able to deal with his size. And the only tall WW is AM who IMO wants to delay a rematch as long as possible. As least until he fills up his bank account.
Jack 1000

"Nipples" has a lot of determination and I like how vocal he is in postfight interviews! However, he really needs to work on defense and conditioning. I really would love to see him and Haye! It's too bad that Walker doesn't have a good chin.

Jack
D-MARV
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Nov 30 2008, 02:17 PM) [snapback]413444[/snapback]
"Nipples" has a lot of determination and I like how vocal he is in postfight interviews! However, he really needs to work on defense and conditioning. I really would love to see him and Haye! It's too bad that Walker doesn't have a good chin.

Jack

I would like to see Haye and Arreola too... It would be fun to watch Arreola put Haye to sleep!
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 30 2008, 02:30 PM) [snapback]413446[/snapback]
I would like to see Haye and Arreola too... It would be fun to watch Arreola put Haye to sleep!

That little right hand that Walker put Arreola down with, imagine what Hayes right hand would have done. Haye would have finished him off. Why the hell wasn't Arreola in shape for THIS fight? Why will he in his next fight or after that? He is lazy, slow, crude, and he does not impress me at all. I would take Peter, Ruiz, Klits, Haye, TONEY, Brewster, and so on over this guy.
dbdbdb
It can be difficult to overcome bad habits in training for fights and Arreola seems to have that achilles heel. He needs to seriously address that issue before he even starts thinking about the Klitchko's or Haye -- who have very good training habits.

Arreola has power, but needs to serious-up about boxing as a profession. He has and will get away with alot of crap early in his career, but once he gets to the A-List fighters {If there is such a thing at heavy-weight} he's going to hit a brick wall and will be exposed as "one who could, if he only had". And that's not a good legacy to have.

Right now I would pick any of the major player's at HW over Arreola. If he gets down to business in training and gets serious, he can make one hell of a run.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Nov 30 2008, 05:29 PM) [snapback]413461[/snapback]
That little right hand that Walker put Arreola down with, imagine what Hayes right hand would have done. Haye would have finished him off. Why the hell wasn't Arreola in shape for THIS fight? Why will he in his next fight or after that? He is lazy, slow, crude, and he does not impress me at all. I would take Peter, Ruiz, Klits, Haye, TONEY, Brewster, and so on over this guy.

LOL... You're not the only one either!

Arreola will get serious and win a title... happy.gif
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(EpTXCHAMP @ Nov 30 2008, 01:01 AM) [snapback]413401[/snapback]
going out on a limb....but ill call it spinks vs williams in 09 after spinks beats latimore. hey its a name for paul and would be interesting to see how paul handles a boxer like spinks even though I think it'll be boring lol

I was thinking the same thing last night too. Only difference, I think Paul will beat the shit out of Spinks.

Weird how so many of the top guys at 54 right now are southpaws. Williams, Spinks, Santos, Sergio Martinez, Sergei Dzirdziuzizizk...

QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Nov 30 2008, 06:29 PM) [snapback]413461[/snapback]
Why the hell wasn't Arreola in shape for THIS fight? Why will he in his next fight or after that?

That's the alarming question regarding Arreola's future I agree. If he's having trouble staying in shape on the way up getting his first big opportunities, imagine what his fat ass is going to look like after he makes a little money.

I will say though I like watching the guy fight and hope he can get more serious. But I'm not holding my breath.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 30 2008, 10:09 AM) [snapback]413415[/snapback]
Arreola showed me three tings tonight:

1. He can take a punch, which I already figured

2. He has alot of heart and is a tough MoFo

3. He's a lazy Fuck and needs to get serious

He also showed me that he is incredibly slow and leaves himself way too open for big shots. I'm no fan of Peter but I think he'd handle Chris pretty easily at this stage.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Nov 30 2008, 11:21 AM) [snapback]413419[/snapback]
He seems to be going backwards, but I just think that was a lack of motivation! The build up to the Walker fight, you can tell he wasn't focused... He needs to get his mind right because The sky is the limit for this cat!

Lack of motivation? Good lord man....you are fighting another up and coming peer on HBO's BAD.....if that don't get you "motivated"....I have no clue what it's going to take.

If the guy gets floored by that lazy, light right hand....I cannot imagine how bad he eats it vs. either of the Klits.

I know you love this guy....but looking as he does now....there is no way he wins a title. He might take home some BS minor title...but of the big three with Wlad, Vitali and even Valuev.....I don't see the guy we all saw last night beating any of those guys.

I don't see him getting past Sam Peter either.

BUT....I would like to see that matchup.

I think a good course for Arreola would be Peter in the early part of 09.....this will test him with a guy with power and a decent chin. and should he get past that fight.....a mid-year fight with Jamel McCline to check the height issue....and should he do well there.....THEN an attempt at one of the klits.

AND....all of that ONLY if he keeps his weight in check.

For the average person with a slower matabolism...keeping your weight in check is a struggle due to the million other things you have to balance in life....ie. job, family. BUT....when boxing IS your job......there is no excuse for looking as he does.

The dude needs to back away from the burritos and tattoo palors and get his ass out on the road...doing his road work!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.