Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Japan Should Abolish WBC Open Scoring System
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Most of you know how vehemently I oppose the optional WBC rule of Open Scoring and contacted the WBC and the Association of Boxing Commissions last year on this issue, petitioning that it be dropped and should not be approved by any state boxing commission for reasons already discussed. I suggested that if it must be used, that it should never ever be forced by any boxing commission or sanctioning body. While the ABC rejected open scoring by a vote of 33-1 (only Arkansas descending), other countries such as Great Britian have also rejected Open Scoring, and I am most grateful to see it failing. France has tried it with bad results. Germany still uses it, but without much success. Mexico continues to use it. However, this may be because of its strong allience to the WBC more so than any type of success with this experimental rule. The announcement of the judges scores after the 4th and 8th rounds in WBC title fights has always been more of a gimmick and hindrance than a help. The Japanese Boxing Commission had the most success with the experimental open scoring system until about two months ago when WBC Featherweight Champion Oscar Larios, was awarded a very controversial split decision over the challenger, Takahiro Aoh:

http://www.ring-japan.com/ori08/ori081016.htm

No one LIKES a bad decision, but I submit that Japan needs more bad decisions like this if they continue with Open Scoring, so that its boxing commission will reject Open Scoring outright and enough countries will abort it to convince the WBC to abort the practice once and for all. Nothing good has come out of any fight in which Open Scoring has been used. I am pleased to see this reporter observing the problems that so many federations throught the world, as well as rival sanctioning bodies have seen with Open Scoring.

The sooner this Open Scoring "gimmick" is put to rest once and for all, the better off it will be for all of boxing.

Jack
D-MARV
Open Scoring sucks major ASS... it should be abolished, pissed on, and thrown away.
STEVENSKI
I am no fan of open scoring but I think there needs to be a system of possibly logging a judges score on a computer where they can only see the round they score & it does a automated print out at the end of the fight. As it stands they can see at a glance who is ahead & I think that is wrong.

I am tired of seeing decisions take 5 minutes to render & every time I see it is shady business practice.

To appease the TV they could make those scores available to the networks if they so desire during broadcast & that could get rid of the ridiculous scorecards that Lampley puts up.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 1 2008, 05:34 PM) [snapback]413576[/snapback]
I am no fan of open scoring but I think there needs to be a system of possibly logging a judges score on a computer where they can only see the round they score & it does a automated print out at the end of the fight. As it stands they can see at a glance who is ahead & I think that is wrong.

I am tired of seeing decisions take 5 minutes to render & every time I see it is shady business practice.

To appease the TV they could make those scores available to the networks if they so desire during broadcast & that could get rid of the ridiculous scorecards that Lampley puts up.

Do you mean Lederman?
STEVENSKI
Yeah thats it. My posts are like my life currently, extremely erratic & unbalanced.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.