Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andre Berto
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
mrwigi
I have a question about Berto. Is this guy for real, or just another fighter built up to get knocked down. Fans have waited a long time to see him in the ring with top quality opposition. The forbes fight was good for berto, but IMO, he gets hit too often. Unless he's got the chin of PW, the Margarito's, and Cotto's and Clottey's are going to wear him down and knock him out.

I think the Collozo fight will be a good test to see how well berto can really adjust. And his southpaw style should create some problems for berto. I still pick berto to win, but i wonder how he would do against other champions in the division.
Lil-lightsout
Time will tell when he gets in with some better fighters. I do not think Collazo will beat him either, but maybe make it competative.
Mean Mister Mustard
Collazo is a very good fighter and we will see how Berto takes on a true welterweight who may not be a puncher but can outbox you.

I like Berto, I like his mentality ( he comes form a family of fighters), he comes back right away after being hit, he's got a good shoulder roll defense which will only get better with time, fast hands, power and he knows how to use it. At this point though I'd like to see him fight Cintron, should he get past COllazo to see how he reacts to a puncher.
D-MARV
Berto should get by Collazo but as long as Tony and Paul are hanging around I wouldnt bet on him being the "King"
mrwigi
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 1 2008, 07:10 PM) [snapback]413587[/snapback]
Time will tell when he gets in with some better fighters. I do not think Collazo will beat him either, but maybe make it competative.

I would have to agree with the Cintron part.
JD
The knock on him coming up was his chin.

It will eventually be exposed - in fact, it may have been a bit against Rivera, but he is damn good offensively.
JonnyBlaze
I think Berto is the real deal..Ya all may talk about his 1 knock down but ya all try to play down the Arreola knock down that was more of a real knock down than Berto had..Berto got caught with a really short left hook while moving towards that side and never saw the punch..Arreola's C-cups and huge gut don't even allow him to move and just stood there and took the shots and got put down..

Berto's defense is improving and he is mastering combos he likes to throw..His offense could work as his defense but he is smart enough to get a real defense incase the offense isn't there..I'd really want him to get a couple fights then get in there with Williams even though his team doesn't want him in with Williams..
D-MARV
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Dec 1 2008, 09:04 PM) [snapback]413616[/snapback]
I think Berto is the real deal..Ya all may talk about his 1 knock down but ya all try to play down the Arreola knock down that was more of a real knock down than Berto had..Berto got caught with a really short left hook while moving towards that side and never saw the punch..Arreola's C-cups and huge gut don't even allow him to move and just stood there and took the shots and got put down..

Berto's defense is improving and he is mastering combos he likes to throw..His offense could work as his defense but he is smart enough to get a real defense incase the offense isn't there..I'd really want him to get a couple fights then get in there with Williams even though his team doesn't want him in with Williams..

LOL, Damn Johnny you realy hate Arreola.

Fact is Arreola has a good chin... It was the body punch that put him down, it was a deayed reaction.

Back to the topic at hand, Berto is good. The man ca fight... After Tony and Paul leave I expect him to make his run to the top!
EpTXCHAMP
i wont go out and say if berto is for real until i see berto in with someone with pop. I mean rivera dropped him with a uppercut imagine what cotto's, margs moselys power could do to him?

collazo is a good test a lower B level fight good second step up for berto but a win over him wont do much in my book
King Eugene
I got a feeling Berto may end up being the next Mayweather. Not as far as style but just his whole demeanor. WATCH
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Dec 2 2008, 01:53 AM) [snapback]413662[/snapback]
I got a feeling Berto may end up being the next Mayweather. Not as far as style but just his whole demeanor. WATCH

Very possible I think..I see improvements every time Berto gets in the ring..He is still on his way up even though he is a champ already..Guys like Margarito are finished learning and are strictly doing what they do best now..There is always some things to pick up on but for the most part,Margarito is done..Berto still has his defense to develop,which I can tell he is really concerned with working on..I see a huge future for Berto..
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Dec 2 2008, 12:58 AM) [snapback]413668[/snapback]
Very possible I think..I see improvements every time Berto gets in the ring..He is still on his way up even though he is a champ already..Guys like Margarito are finished learning and are strictly doing what they do best now..There is always some things to pick up on but for the most part,Margarito is done..Berto still has his defense to develop,which I can tell he is really concerned with working on..I see a huge future for Berto..

He gets a Mayweather Sr. or Naas in his corner things are really going to start looking up for Berto.
BigG
Berto's great to watch, that's all I'll say.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Dec 2 2008, 12:58 AM) [snapback]413668[/snapback]

Margarito was done learning after his first fight. Plan A- get hit alot, somehow be able to take it. wait for the other guy to get winded from kicking my ass so much, so i can connect with my slow zangief-esque punches and just throw alot of those 'punches'. Plan B- dur.

I would love to see Berto whoop his ass!
The CEO
"Zangief-esque"....LOL!
Spyder
Berto used to come to our gym a lot...the man can fight!

Top tier? Who knows?

He looked the part in the gym. His footwork is like Shane Mosley, he has fast hands, really good power, and GREAT vision. He always used his footwork for defense, so that is his likely flaw. No matter what, like biggeorge said, he's great to watch!
Douchebag
Berto will be a gate keeper for Dimitrius Andrade. Book it.
Douchebag
Berto is going to end up on some ones highlight reel.
Spyder
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Dec 2 2008, 09:12 AM) [snapback]413737[/snapback]
Berto will be a gate keeper for Dimitrius Andrade. Book it.

Berto ain't that type of fighter...not durable enough and too explosive to be a gate keeper.

Besides, Andrade didn't impress me on the world stage...what did you see?
perpetualgroove
i think berto has great potential...however
the OP is correct, he is simply too small to hang with the margarito's and other huge WW's...i think he should, and will eventually drop down to 140 and dominate...or maybe the dude that said he was the next mayweather will be right, and his slick style will keep him out of trouble against hte big hitters....oh yeah, pardon my ignorance, but the OP said "unless he has the chin of PW" who is PW? paul williams, if so, i didnt know that he was known for a good chin? shit, he is so damn tall he doesnt even get hit that much in the head...
The Original MrFactor
Berto reminds me alot of Meldrick taylor. Great offense, good pop on his punches. Average defense. takes way too many headshots. Will get beaten by the upper echelon at WW. Should beat a guy like Collazzo and look good doing it, although Collazzo will have some success in spots. Trouble is Collazzo is the WW version of Paul Malignaggi. Decent boxer with absolutely zero in the power category. Not much of a threat. I would also like to see what Berto looks like against Cintron, Cotto or Clottey9ene a Demitruis Hopkins!!). One of them better be next or people are going to start asking if he's the next protected hype...
Spyder
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Dec 2 2008, 03:37 PM) [snapback]413781[/snapback]
Berto reminds me alot of Meldrick taylor.

That is the best description I've seen yet.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Dec 2 2008, 06:27 AM) [snapback]413712[/snapback]
Margarito was done learning after his first fight. Plan A- get hit alot, somehow be able to take it. wait for the other guy to get winded from kicking my ass so much, so i can connect with my slow zangief-esque punches and just throw alot of those 'punches'. Plan B- dur.

I would love to see Berto whoop his ass!

thumbsup_anim.gif
perpetualgroove
"the next protected hype" joe calslappy, anyone? hahah...but yeah who the fuck is PW? will someone please tell me...because i know paul williams isnt known for a great chin...i know i made some of you mad by putting you in your place about hating on oscar, and i proved you wrong because manny weighs only five pounds less than oscar, naturally...i cant say it enough...if oscar walks around at 160 naturally and manny at 155, HOW THE FUCK IS THAT A HUGE SIZE DIFFERENCE?!?1 NOOOBODY has answered that for me yet...please, someone debunk...
D-MARV
QUOTE(perpetualgroove @ Dec 3 2008, 01:12 PM) [snapback]413909[/snapback]
"the next protected hype" joe calslappy, anyone? hahah...but yeah who the fuck is PW? will someone please tell me...because i know paul williams isnt known for a great chin...i know i made some of you mad by putting you in your place about hating on oscar, and i proved you wrong because manny weighs only five pounds less than oscar, naturally...i cant say it enough...if oscar walks around at 160 naturally and manny at 155, HOW THE FUCK IS THAT A HUGE SIZE DIFFERENCE?!?1 NOOOBODY has answered that for me yet...please, someone debunk...

I motion that we have this guy removed if he says one more thing about Oscar!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 3 2008, 01:27 PM) [snapback]413913[/snapback]
I motion that we have this guy removed if he says one more thing about Oscar!

What? You crazy? This board needs a Goldie nuthugger.
D-MARV
I guess it would be fun if we had one.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 3 2008, 02:45 PM) [snapback]413921[/snapback]
I guess it would be fun if we had one.

You bet your ass it would. Plus he has no concept of weight, he thinks he will be a lawyer and he posts other people's emails and myspaces as his. If that's not a lively chao then I just don't know what is.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Dec 3 2008, 02:50 PM) [snapback]413923[/snapback]
You bet your ass it would. Plus he has no concept of weight, he thinks he will be a lawyer and he posts other people's emails and myspaces as his. If that's not a lively chao then I just don't know what is.

I'm sorry for not knowing the haps, but what the fuck are you talking about? LOL
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Dec 3 2008, 06:05 PM) [snapback]413961[/snapback]
I'm sorry for not knowing the haps, but what the fuck are you talking about? LOL

It is all in the DLH-Pacquiao thread page 9-10 I believe. Put on your glasses because this guy doesn't believe in paragraphs.
Spyder

laugh.gif

okay, I'll help you with this one...

Oscar is 5'11" and last fought at 150lbs

Manny is 5'6" and last fought at 134lbs

These guys last fought 3 weightclasses apart...that's HUGE!
rusty_trombone

Here's a few basic steps for you:

Step 1: Remove head from ass
Step 2: Clean shit off of your head
Step 3: Put your dick down
Step 4: Open your eyes and look at the tiny Asian dude
Step 5: Look at the guy who is not a tiny Asian guy
Step 6: Stick your head back into your ass
King Eugene
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Dec 3 2008, 07:50 PM) [snapback]413970[/snapback]
Here's a few basic steps for you:

Step 1: Remove head from ass
Step 2: Clean shit off of your head
Step 3: Put your dick down
Step 4: Open your eyes and look at the tiny Asian dude
Step 5: Look at the guy who is not a tiny Asian guy
Step 6: Stick your head back into your ass

LMAO...classic shit. Rusty is one funny mofo
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Spyder @ Dec 3 2008, 07:40 PM) [snapback]413964[/snapback]
laugh.gif

okay, I'll help you with this one...

Oscar is 5'11" and last fought at 150lbs

Manny is 5'6" and last fought at 134lbs

These guys last fought 3 weightclasses apart...that's HUGE!

What about when Dempsey fought Willard or Drake??Or Sugar Ray Robinson Vs. Maxim??

No doubt the weight is a issue but ya can't count someone completely out because of 2 weight classes..Height can be taken away too..5 inches is quite a bit..I sparred a dude who was 6'7 and I'm 6'2 and I felt pretty short..If Manny can use his jab to get in there,he'll be able to get where he wants to be but then he'll have the left hook to worry about..
Fitz
But that's the thing, it isn't really two weight classes. It's just two weight classes from when Pacquiao last fought.
Spyder
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Dec 4 2008, 03:26 AM) [snapback]414041[/snapback]
What about when Dempsey fought Willard or Drake??Or Sugar Ray Robinson Vs. Maxim??

Willard was crap, and Sugar Ray lost to Maxim. dntknw.gif

There's a reason that they have weight classes Jon, and this fight will remind people of that.

You forgot about David vs Goliath... laugh.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Spyder @ Dec 4 2008, 08:46 AM) [snapback]414072[/snapback]
Willard was crap, and Sugar Ray lost to Maxim. dntknw.gif

There's a reason that they have weight classes Jon, and this fight will remind people of that.

You forgot about David vs Goliath... laugh.gif

I totally agree with you about the weight class thing but I am saying that it means you're going to lose..It really comes down to who is the better guy over all..Sugar Ray lost to Maxim because of the intense heat and collapsed..He was beating Maxim though..

David vs. Goliath was the best ya could come up with??Well how about Roy vs. Ruiz or any of Holyfield's fights..Holy and other guys like Lamon Brewster fought as light heavyweights and became heavyweights..Floyd Mayweather vs. DLH too..Skill conquers weight..

I think the height will be the biggest factor in this fight,not the weight..
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 4 2008, 03:51 AM) [snapback]414053[/snapback]
But that's the thing, it isn't really two weight classes. It's just two weight classes from when Pacquiao last fought.

Exactly, this guy fought one fight at his biggest weight class ever, 2 weight classes below this. And some think he's a bit small for 135
Spyder
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Dec 4 2008, 04:56 PM) [snapback]414168[/snapback]
I totally agree with you about the weight class thing but I am saying that it means you're going to lose..It really comes down to who is the better guy over all..Sugar Ray lost to Maxim because of the intense heat and collapsed..He was beating Maxim though..

Oh man, don't start trying to peddle that shit...it was just as hot on Joey's side of the ring.

Size isn't everything, but it's a BIG thing. Sometimes the size is too much to overcome, especially when it's a big guy with skills.

You're acting like Oscar can't even fight...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Spyder @ Dec 4 2008, 10:14 PM) [snapback]414220[/snapback]
Oh man, don't start trying to peddle that shit...it was just as hot on Joey's side of the ring.

Size isn't everything, but it's a BIG thing. Sometimes the size is too much to overcome, especially when it's a big guy with skills.

You're acting like Oscar can't even fight...

I'm a DLH fan..There,it is out!!haha..DLH is a amazing boxer..His jab is his best punch and his left hook is a finishing punch..His right hand has finally come around to turn out to be a strong weapon for him..He continues improving his right hand too..I also really like DLH's footwork..I like watching DLH being the smaller guy in fights cause he really puts his boxing skills out there instead of when he is the bigger guy he sometimes tries to impose his will on guys..He never forgets about his boxing skills though but can lose focus and stray away from using em..

In a fight of a big guy with skills vs. a little guy with skills,the big guy could have a edge and does 90% of the time..I pick DLH to win the fight also by the way..I am just saying that Pac-man isn't going to be as easy as we all think..

It was just as hot on Joey's side of the ring but in heat like that,I'm surprised the fight wasn't stopped before that cause either one of them could of died for real..SRR was ahead in the fight but collapsed from the heat..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.