Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When was the last time a fighter dropped down like Oscar?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BrutalBodyShots
Lots of fighters move up divisions and return to one they fought at previously... but off the top of my head I can't think of the last time someone did it after fighting above that division for such an extended period of time. Oscar has fought above 147 for 7.5 years now (mostly 1 division above, but has fought 2 divisions above) and is returning to that weight. Mosley is the only other guy that comes to mind in recent times, but his departure from 147 was only about 4 years.

Can anyone think of others that have done this? Has anyone exceeded 7.5 years?

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 1 2008, 09:33 PM) [snapback]413610[/snapback]
Lots of fighters move up divisions and return to one they fought at previously... but off the top of my head I can't think of the last time someone did it after fighting above that division for such an extended period of time. Oscar has fought above 147 for 7.5 years now (mostly 1 division above, but has fought 2 divisions above) and is returning to that weight. Mosley is the only other guy that comes to mind in recent times, but his departure from 147 was only about 4 years.

Can anyone think of others that have done this? Has anyone exceeded 7.5 years?

Chris Byrd
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Dec 1 2008, 09:05 PM) [snapback]413617[/snapback]
Chris Byrd

Nice call. Forgot about Byrd.

STEVENSKI
Any fighter who signed to fight the Golden one in recent years dropped down to their knees.
King Eugene
I swear they are getting over on us. If they are going to put on such bs it should atleast be for free. But just like a lot of other folks I'll be watching anyway. Around here in our area there are different bars/clubs that show the fights for free or charge like $5 or $10 to get in and then serve food.
rusty_trombone
when was the last time a guy who fought for the middleweight championship fight a guy who started his career @ 112? in the bitchiest move ever. god i hope he loses!

damn dlh, he is good at promoting a fight, im gonna watch this fight just because i want him to lose so bad. of course, i'll be watching after I've been celebrating an SEC championship for the Gators! fuck Alabama, getting primed for a trip to Miami in early January!
Fitz
When was the last time we seen a six division titlist? fuck.gif
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 2 2008, 05:34 AM) [snapback]413713[/snapback]

thats the problem with so many belts. there's always at least one retard the dumbasses there way to a belt a every weight class. so a good fighter can come jew a belt off of a shitbag easily, and claim a title. i hate to bring this up, because i like roy, but just like roy did to ruiz, maywether did to Baldy. there's always one retard for the picking.
D-MARV
Juan Mauel Lopez pulled De La Hoya's card. In a interview, he basically said the De La Hoya-Pacquiao was bad for boxing. He said De La Hoya should retire because he hurting the sport...

Lopez might be trying to put his name inthe hat for a potential showdown with De La Hoya! LOL
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 1 2008, 11:27 PM) [snapback]413647[/snapback]
Any fighter who signed to fight the Golden one in recent years dropped down to their knees.

We already know that he cannot get head before a fight, while he's training. It has to be non-ejaculatory BJ's.
rusty_trombone
oh yeah, in actual response to the thread, can you count the catch weight the roy fought tito at? I mean he hadn't fought under 175 in a real long time, like 9-10 years i think his first lhw fight was against mccallum in like 97 or something. it's only 5 pounds, but shit.
Fitz
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Dec 2 2008, 09:41 PM) [snapback]413717[/snapback]
thats the problem with so many belts. there's always at least one retard the dumbasses there way to a belt a every weight class. so a good fighter can come jew a belt off of a shitbag easily, and claim a title. i hate to bring this up, because i like roy, but just like roy did to ruiz, maywether did to Baldy. there's always one retard for the picking.

The only difference is, that this retard is laughing all the way to the bank. All the ladies want him, all the men want to be him. He is quite the retard.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 2 2008, 01:53 PM) [snapback]413769[/snapback]
The only difference is, that this retard is laughing all the way to the bank. All the ladies want him, all the men want to be him. He is quite the retard.

no, he's the one who beats the lone retard belt-holder, i would classify DLH as "idiot-savant"
King Eugene
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Dec 2 2008, 05:41 AM) [snapback]413717[/snapback]
i hate to bring this up, because i like roy, but just like roy did to ruiz, maywether did to Baldy. there's always one retard for the picking.

LMAO!
blackbelt2003
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 2 2008, 10:34 AM) [snapback]413713[/snapback]

AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!! PET HATE ALERT!

FOUR divisions, dude. Oscar won world titles in FOUR divisions...lightweight, jr welter, welter and jr middle.

NEVER give credence to that WBO piece of shit again. Thank you.

Black
Fitz
QUOTE(blackbelt2003 @ Dec 3 2008, 09:47 PM) [snapback]413881[/snapback]
AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!! PET HATE ALERT!

FOUR divisions, dude. Oscar won world titles in FOUR divisions...lightweight, jr welter, welter and jr middle.
NEVER give credence to that WBO piece of shit again. Thank you.
Black

Haha.
MarzB
It would be so great if dlh folded like a chair in this fight because of the weight loss and then like he's done inthe past he'll attribute it to some "injury" that occurred within training but "I'm a warrior and I had to go through the fight".

I definitely think the weight gives Pac a chance if this goes into deep water. Outside of Chris Byrd and maybe, maybe Keith Holmes fairly recently, I can't think of a fighter thats gone back down in weight after being away from that class for so long..
Mean Mister Mustard
If Goldie is indeed weight drained his reflexes will be horrible. This will allow Pacquiao to easily dart in and out and outbox him. Later DLH will claim it just wasn't the night of the big man and that he ate some bad oysters that day. Of course during the whole interview he will be smiling with that grin that only the guy who every one is laughing at takes out to hopelessly show them that he too finds it funny.
MarzB
OMG MMM

How could I forget the "oysters" comment,lol.. Heres Dela's inventory of excuses presently.

"I gave him a boxing lesson.. FOCK FOCK"

(my favorite) "I will be launching a FULL INVESTIGATION"

"I tore my rotator cuff during training"

"I won't fight a Puerto Rican, err I won't fight another Mexican"

Theres others I'm forgetting.

Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(MarzB @ Dec 4 2008, 11:09 PM) [snapback]414246[/snapback]
OMG MMM

How could I forget the "oysters" comment,lol.. Heres Dela's inventory of excuses presently.

"I gave him a boxing lesson.. FOCK FOCK"

(my favorite) "I will be launching a FULL INVESTIGATION"

"I tore my rotator cuff during training"

"I won't fight a Puerto Rican, err I won't fight another Mexican"

Theres others I'm forgetting.

That was great. He was all smiles in the ring then he goes back stage and the potty mouth came out.

Don't forget "It just wasn't the night of the jab" Or "The decision was so close why not make it a draw. Why take it away from me like that?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.