Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto & Pavlik on PPV
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
Promoter Bob Arum revealed today that Top Rank is planning a major pay-per-view telecast on February 21 featuring WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik defending his title, plus two division champion Miguel Cotto fighting for the world title. The telecast will be split between two locations. Pavlik is expected to face Marco Antonio Rubio, while Cotto is expected to face Michael Jennings for the WBO welterweight belt vacated by Paul Williams.

This is why I can't stand Bob Arum!
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 1 2008, 09:56 PM) [snapback]413628[/snapback]

HBO wouldn't pick it up, and it was the only way Top Rank could distribute it.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 1 2008, 09:59 PM) [snapback]413629[/snapback]
HBO wouldn't pick it up, and it was the only way Top Rank could distribute it.

Gotcha! Why wouldn't HBO pick it up?
JD
I guess because they refused to ante up when Michael Jennings and Marco Antonio Rubio were the opponents.

D-MARV
I guess showtime didn't want it then either...

I hope they dont charge 49.99
JD
Who knows...could be $50, my guess is $45.
D-MARV
Whatever happen to Wide World of Sports? cray.gif
Michigan Assassin
Arum is head and shoulders above every promoter out there right now. It's not even close.

You're right that is sucks that its on PPV but the other choice was Kelly giving up his belt and finding someone that HBO finds "suitable" or doing something like this split site event.

I think one of the worst things the promoters have allowed to happen is HBO dictate opponents. Rubio is a legit threat to Pavlik but isn't a name.

HBO having such a big say in opponents is the reason the same old "name" fighters get recycled again and again ala Rahman and Mayorga.
Method
I think one of the worst things the promoters have allowed to happen is HBO dictate opponents.

Blame that mother fuck Roy Jones.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 2 2008, 03:26 AM) [snapback]413637[/snapback]

Roy Jones could be the worst human being that ever lived.
D-MARV
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 1 2008, 10:33 PM) [snapback]413639[/snapback]
Roy Jones could be the worst human being that ever lived.

You see what the fuck you did Method?
King Eugene
How did Roy do it and I dont even pay attention to Stevens comments when regarding Roy anymore.
STEVENSKI
Roy did it by being worse than Hitler, Stalin & Pol Pot combined. That is why there will be a History Channel special in a few years on the worst human being & a entire hour will be devoted to Roy & his sheer evilness. The man is bad news I tell you.
Lil-lightsout
How does every thread have Roy's name brought up? lol. I was at Lewis-Golota in A.C in 1997 with two of my friends and it was really early in the card and Jones was with all his "boys" in an area just hanging out. Well we tried to approach them and get pictures with him but we got snubbed and got turned away. I was pretty upset but figured he probably gets harrassed all the time and just did not want to be bothered. That is the only fighter that ever did that to me, so it kind of turned me off to him. Though he is arrogant and delusional, IMO he is simply the greatest fighter I have ever seen in his prime.

Oh, I definately will not be ordering the Pavlik and Cotto PPV.
King Eugene
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 2 2008, 12:40 AM) [snapback]413657[/snapback]
Roy did it by being worse than Hitler, Stalin & Pol Pot combined. That is why there will be a History Channel special in a few years on the worst human being & a entire hour will be devoted to Roy & his sheer evilness. The man is bad news I tell you.

Damn, do you kiss Mundine nutts like this?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 1 2008, 08:56 PM) [snapback]413628[/snapback]

this is part of whats wrong with boxing... arum must know he's gonna get terrible numbers for this ppv... he would have done better putting it on free t.v... prime time on a friday night...
oozemcbuck
i'll pay that for pavlik VS cotto...
Chi-Town
QUOTE(Michigan Assassin @ Dec 1 2008, 10:19 PM) [snapback]413636[/snapback]
Arum is head and shoulders above every promoter out there right now. It's not even close.

You're right that is sucks that its on PPV but the other choice was Kelly giving up his belt and finding someone that HBO finds "suitable" or doing something like this split site event.

I think one of the worst things the promoters have allowed to happen is HBO dictate opponents. Rubio is a legit threat to Pavlik but isn't a name.

HBO having such a big say in opponents is the reason the same old "name" fighters get recycled again and again ala Rahman and Mayorga.

Of course HBO wouldn't pick this up....not after the backlash from the Gary Lockett fight AND the fact that they have already said they will be drastically cutting their budget this year. I don't agree that PPV was the only other choice. The other choice was putting it on Versus (where a card of this magnatude belongs anyway), whom Arum already has a relationship with and would have certainly given him a date in a heartbeat. But rather than take that pay cut (the horror! lol) he would rather gamble on this garbage ass PPV. I swear to god, in my wildest imagination I can't see this thing breaking 100,000 buys.
Chi-Town
One more thing....I'm gonna get serious on you guys for a second. One thing that I have learned in my short 28 years on this earth is that there is always a price to pay for making bad decisions. You never "get away" with anything, its just a matter of paying the price in the immediate future or in the distant future. The economic situation we're facing in the U.S and abroad is a great example. Whenever people make short-sighted, greedy decisions, the bottom will always fall out eventually. The impending retirements of all of the great stars of the 90s and early 2000s coupled with the big time budget cuts on all of the boxing networks, I believe is the begginning of the end for boxing. Not necessarily meaning that it will cease to exist, but it is very forseeable to me that it is on the way to becoming even further marginalized.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 1 2008, 09:26 PM) [snapback]413637[/snapback]

Cosign!

Yea, HBO and Lampley didn't show any reluctance to shake the pom poms when the legendary and incomparable Roy Jones was fighting guys like the fearsome Rick Frazier and Glen Kelly. LOL!

HBO ever since Dibella left likes to talk out of their mouth and their ass at the same time. They promise great fights, but more often than not, bend over and shit on command for the same manufactured stars over and over and over again. Now if Jones had NOT fought guys like Frazier and Kelley on HBO or Delahoya had not ripped off the public by fighting Campas on PPV, than it would be more understandable.

But yet by HBO's double standards, it's ok for Oscar and Roy to fight bums on their network, but it's not ok for Pavlik and Margarito to fight stay busy fights on the same network? So they make this fight a PPV?

Nobody knows how to market boxing anymore. If HBO won't buy it, why not make it a Wide World of Sports event, or a nice little prime time card for Fox or NBC? Pavlik and Cotto if marketed properly for a commercial network could still do well. But since no one has the sense to put this card on commercial TV, if HBO doesn't want it, the doubleheader is forced to PPV.

That's what sucks. Business and marketing strategists for boxing have to implement some sort of network balance, or several balances of commercial networks who might be willing to bid on the fights if HBO or Showtime is not interested to stop them from automatically going to PPV.

Delahoya vs. Pacquiao in prime time? Well, that will never happen in this or any other lifetime. But I think Oscar would even be a big draw against an average opponent on commercial broadcast TV. I wonder in theory how well Delahoya-Pacquiao would do on a prime time commercial TV network instead of a PPV? Consider the bad state of the economy as well in studying/answering this question:

What would happen if, even on an experimental basis, a big Superfight, destined for PPV was put on a Prime Time Commercial Network again?

Jack
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(oozemcbuck @ Dec 2 2008, 02:14 PM) [snapback]413772[/snapback]
i'll pay that for pavlik VS cotto...

LOL..funny shit dude

wake me up when cotto does
King Eugene
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Dec 3 2008, 05:11 PM) [snapback]413945[/snapback]
LOL..funny shit dude

wake me up when cotto does

LMAO...he is definitely going to sleep!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.