Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pac DLH undercard
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
mexi-cutioner
So I've been wondering what's going on with the Pac vs DLH undercard???? I know that JML is defending his title vs Sergio Medina and top prospect Victor Ortiz is defending his lesser title vs Resto, but will there be a third bout?????? For $54.95, I'd like to see another bout on the undercard and not become like hte Mayweather DLH bout which featured only 2 bouts as well. Knowing the KO power of JuanMa and Ortiz and size differential between Pac and DLH, this looks like it iwll be the shortest PPV boxing event ever, the whole PPV may not last 12 rounds lol.

For one, I'd like to see the Danny Jacobs bout as the first undercard fight, hopefully they do it up and make it a 10 rounder....
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(mexi-cutioner @ Dec 2 2008, 09:24 AM) [snapback]413740[/snapback]
So I've been wondering what's going on with the Pac vs DLH undercard???? I know that JML is defending his title vs Sergio Medina and top prospect Victor Ortiz is defending his lesser title vs Resto, but will there be a third bout?????? For $54.95, I'd like to see another bout on the undercard and not become like hte Mayweather DLH bout which featured only 2 bouts as well. Knowing the KO power of JuanMa and Ortiz and size differential between Pac and DLH, this looks like it iwll be the shortest PPV boxing event ever, the whole PPV may not last 12 rounds lol.

For one, I'd like to see the Danny Jacobs bout as the first undercard fight, hopefully they do it up and make it a 10 rounder....

LOL. It is a pretty shitty undercard. Why is it that whenever there's a megafight the undercard sucks? Can anyone who understands the business side of boxing inform me? This is basically three potential mismatches we have in a boxing show. Boxing at its highest level should be competitive not a massacre.
Spyder
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Dec 2 2008, 10:20 AM) [snapback]413742[/snapback]
LOL. It is a pretty shitty undercard. Why is it that whenever there's a megafight the undercard sucks? Can anyone who understands the business side of boxing inform me? This is basically three potential mismatches we have in a boxing show. Boxing at its highest level should be competitive not a massacre.

It all goes back to money, my friend. Think of the fighter's paychecks as one account...if that account has $40 million in it and the main-event fighters are taking out $39.75 million, that only leaves $250,000 left to pay for the undercard. Who would fight for less than that? Prospects, past-prime, journeymen, and scrubs...so that's what we get!

thumbsup_anim.gif
Big Slim Sweet
I like that they're focusing on the young stars this time around - Juan Ma and Ortiz are two of the best and brightest - and I believe the Danny Jacobs fight is set to air as well. This is far superior to putting on Rocky Juarez versus Ivan Hernandez or whoever he barely scraped by as the main co-feature to PBF-DLH. But you're absolutely right that they may be in dire need of rounds here.
dbdbdb
That's mostly the case with events sponsored by GB productions. Main event and several Golden-Glove level matches. The good-ole-days, when you had several championship matches in one event are long gone. Mainly because of what Spyder said, the main fight takes up soo much of the total purse, that there's nothing left for the undercard.

Sucks!!!
torvix2000
LOL on the statement - "The whole PPV event might not last 12 rounds total." . Hahaha!
D-MARV
I'm glad I get to see JuanMa fight again... Also I want to see this Ortiz kid, never seen him fight before.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Dec 2 2008, 05:52 PM) [snapback]413806[/snapback]
LOL on the statement - "The whole PPV event might not last 12 rounds total." . Hahaha!

You know what would be sad for the fans, but funny as well, would be a big hyped PPV with three fights and they all ended in the first round! LOL! I wonder how many people would order next time, coming off the heals of such an occurrence?

Although it wasn't a PPV, a similar incident took place when ESPN started their original Top Rank Boxing Show around 1980. They were new and promoted a card that had 9 fights on it. Arum went to the commissioners and said. "Are we going to have time to do nine fights?" I don't know how many of the bouts were televised, but in what may have been close to a historic event, every fight on the card ended in a first or second round KO! About 45 minutes in, they no longer had a show, and because they were so new, they didn't have any bonus material to show the fans. Arum apologized and the station was forced to roll the credits less than an hour into the broadcast. I believe this is discussed on ESPN's Top Rank Boxing Special, "10 and Counting."

Top Rank made it a policy and others followed soon after to fill all extra air-time with archived footage, or in the case of PPV's, sometimes they will show undercard bouts that originally did not air.

Nowadays, contractual agreements mandate that main events cannot start until a certain amount of air-time has passed. Therefore, worst case scenario, you could have 90 minutes of HBO pom-pom shacking and yakking, instead of offering some classic fights just to kill time.

That's one of the problems with PPV boxing. Shitty undercards today and the potential of paying $60 with tax for a one or two round blowout in the main event. MMA matches can be worse, as they can be over in seconds, but at least with MMA, you may still get five or six fights on a big card. Three boxing matches seems to be the norm for PPV boxing, and if the main event turns to shit on an already bad undercard, that really sucks.

Maybe to combat the high prices of PPV's, why not just charge $25 for the main event and forget the undercards? Perhaps promoters could get more subscribers with the lower price. Almost all boxing undercards today suck. I can understand $40 for four major word title fights on a six bout high quality card. As a side-note, I don't believe that ANY PPV regardless of undercard should be more than $40. However, those days are long gone.

Jack
mexi-cutioner
HAHA that would be ridiculous if the PPV event on saturday ends before 7pm, i would definitely have to smack a b*tch in that case...just kidding
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Here's what I can't understand.

Take a promotional company like Golden Boy.

Their aim is to try and build up the profile of boxing yeah? The casual fans aren't buying the PPv's like they used to and the hardcore fanbase is shrinking. There are though a couple of exceptions to this rule most notably when one Oscar de la Hoya fights.

Now this guy has made so much money it's ridiculous. Imagine if Oscar said hey lets cut 5 mill. out of my cut and they used that to put on a staggering undercard that even the most casual of fans will love.

Big fight events like this are very rare these days when you'll get a lot of buys from the casual fan and I find it unbelievable that the promotional outfit wouldn't want to use that platform to highlight all that's good about the sport.

It simply makes good business sense, you've got to speculate to accumulate. Put on a great package and people will come back for more, it aint rocket science.

Since most of us on this forum believe that this fight is total mismatch/farce then the very least Oscar should do is make sure the whole show is non-stop action, it will also benefit his company in the long run, but no he'll take the easy money and rape the sport when he could be using his high profile to build it up.

It's this short term attitude that will only keep the sport down.

Sad.
blackbelt2003
Here in the UK, the show is only 14.95 ($25 or so), and that's with a cruddy Amir Khan show thrown in.

But I'll still probably give it a miss. The quality of shows are going down hill fast, and I'm not gonna support it, even if we DO get a fairer deal over here.

There's the Carl Froch-Jean Pascal WBC title fight on free TV the same evening...I'll watch that instead.

Black
mexi-cutioner
Looks like another so called "hot prospect" was added to the undercard and will probably open the DLH-Pac undercard by the name of Daniel Jacobs. A super middleweight with 12wins, 11coming by KO is facing a club fighter, Victor Lares. They added another fight, great, but by the look of this guys record and the probably outcome of the other bouts on this PPV, tehre is still a great possibility all 4 bouts won't amount to 12 rounds by the end of the night laugh.gif

Anyone know anything about this Jacobs guy???? Has anyone seen him fought?? I've read a few great things on him on other boxing sites and have been curious to see him fight but I haven't had the opportunity...
KookedKrack
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Dec 3 2008, 05:23 AM) [snapback]413877[/snapback]
.Imagine if Oscar said hey lets cut 5 mill. out of my cut

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.