Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fighter of the year?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Mean Mister Mustard
Another year nears its end and we had some fantastic fights take place. Last year the list of candidates was nice and hefty and there was considerable debating going on about who deserved the coveted title. It went to OBF but it could have gone to Pavlik or Cotto. This year PBF retired and Pavlik/Cotto lost in brutal fashion. The list this year is not as strong. I will offer up the candidature and hypothetical analysis by the standard shown in the past by The Ring for choosing and rejecting FOTY winners.

Manny Pacquiao- With wins over JMM and David Diaz Pacquiao is one of those rare elite warriors who still fights more than twice a year. In the past split decision victories tended to hurt a fighter's chances for FOTY but conisdering it came against a felow elite fighter I don't see why it should hurt too much. Pac Man trounced Diaz like a P4P A class level fighter should. I think it is pretty safe to say that if he bets De la Hoya he will get the honors because the reasoning wil be that he beat a boxing master (JMM) and a bigger fighter (DLH) nicely complimnted by the DIaz destruction. But what if he gets stopped by DLH? Do we go to...

Joe Calzaghe- His record this year reads 12 round SD Hokins, 12 round UD Jones Jr. Normally having beaten two legends in a year would guarantee the title. In retrospect however, the Hopkins win was an ugly clinch a thon affair concluded by a publically viewed controversial decision and the Roy Jones he beat, although easily, was not the same man who ruled boxing in the past. Jermain Taylor twice beat Hopkins in 2005 yet he was chosen as FOTY because he failed to decisevely put away the old man, just like Calzaghe did. I thinks it is unfair to expect anyone to easily handle Hopkins but such is the way these people see things. I doubt he gets the honors. Could they go though to the man he beat...

Bernard Hokins- Belueve it or not I think his chances are better than Zaghe's. Here's why: They will consider his age, 43 going on 44, holding one of the quickest, trickiest, most active fighters in the game to a SD. Then comprehensively dispatching of young powerpunching sensation (despite what Fitz might think) Kelly Pavlik. Factof in that The RIng are known for being pro-hopkins and his chances for getting the title aren't so bad provded Pacquiao loses to DLH.

Antonio Margarito- 2 fights, 2 brutal beatings. Pounded former victim, heavy handed, Kermit Cintron into the canvas and then broke down undefeated top wleterweight Miguel Cotto in an exciting scrap. Margarito had a long career of waiting for P4P entrance and now he has acheived it. The comprehensive beatings he dealt to two younger foes might sway the judges into hadning him the prize.

Juan Manuel Marquez- Like Margarito, he finally had an exciting win over a quality foe that has propelled him to new heights of recognition amongst fans and media alike. But having fought just twice and one of those fights being a defeat mean he will not get to be the winner this year.

Chad Dawson- Bad Chad defeated 2 of the best light heavyweights in the world Glen Johnson and Antonio Tarver. The Johnson fight was his toughest outing to date but he showed guts and prevailed. He followed that up by outworking and blasting away Tarver. His wins are good but they wil consider the close nature of the Johnson fight and the fact that both guys are in their late 30's and conclude that it just isn't enough to win the title. I actually think the Tarver win was pretty good, seeing how Tarver looked sharp and completely neutralized Clinton Woods before the Dawson fight.

So let's assume Pacquiao loses the DLH fight. Who will get to be FOTY?
D-MARV
If Manny wins on Saturday, then he is a sure lock. If he loses then, sadly, I would have to give it to Joe Calzaghe!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 3 2008, 11:02 PM) [snapback]414012[/snapback]
If Manny wins on Saturday, then he is a sure lock. If he loses then, sadly, I would have to give it to Joe Calzaghe!

I hope Pacquiao wins, that's all I'm going to say.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Dec 3 2008, 11:14 PM) [snapback]414014[/snapback]
I hope Pacquiao wins, that's all I'm going to say.

I'm with you!
Lil-lightsout
Manny wins then he gets it, but if he loses my list would be...

1-Margarito- Demolished Cintron who was former champion, and gave a good beating to undefeated Cotto. Very impressive.
2-Joe Calzaghe- Close decision over Hopkins, and shellacking of Jones. 3-Hopkins- Close loss to Joe, and superb thrashing of Pavlik. If only he would have got the nod over Joe.
4-Dawson- Tough fight with Johnson which he could have lost, and then impressive against old looking Tarver. Decent.
5- Marquez- Loss to Pac was close, great win knocking out that prick Casamayor. Good year.

I personally would definately give to Margarito, the other four could all be flip flopped depending how you look at it.
King Eugene
I say James Toney if he wins on the 13th

Wladimir Klitz

LOL jk

I'd say either Margarito or David Haye. Thats just my opinion.
AussieLad
Darchinyans unification of the belts should be up there, not no.1 obviously, but in the top 5. Beat down of a a champion followed by a domination of a heavily favoured p4p Mijares. He's obviously disadvantaged by the Z Gorres robbery

Calzaghes only decent win was hopkins, jones was well past it and it showed. Good wins, yes, but the jones fight was a name only affair

If pac beats oscar he is a lock
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 3 2008, 11:24 PM) [snapback]414017[/snapback]
Manny wins then he gets it, but if he loses my list would be...

1-Margarito- Demolished Cintron who was former champion, and gave a good beating to undefeated Cotto. Very impressive.
2-Joe Calzaghe- Close decision over Hopkins, and shellacking of Jones. 3-Hopkins- Close loss to Joe, and superb thrashing of Pavlik. If only he would have got the nod over Joe.
4-Dawson- Tough fight with Johnson which he could have lost, and then impressive against old looking Tarver. Decent.
5- Marquez- Loss to Pac was close, great win knocking out that prick Casamayor. Good year.

I personally would definately give to Margarito, the other four could all be flip flopped depending how you look at it.

I agree!!!!!

Out of everything that has happened so far this year AM's win over Cotto stands out the most.

A win by The Pac-Man would be the clincher for him in my book.

Off-Topic:

May the Gods have mercy on us and help The Pac-Man win. Because if DLH wins, we will never, never hear the end of his bragging. All Manny has to do is stay low and crack DLH with uppercuts all night long. He can bust him up good!!!
Lil-lightsout
[quote name='3King3' date='Dec 3 2008, 11:51 PM' post='414020']
I say James Toney if he wins on the 13th

We are talking about this year. Next year after Toney cleans up the heavyweights and unifies all the belts then he will be a lock grin.gif .
WindyCityP
2008 really sucked ass for boxing.
JonnyBlaze
I think Calzaghe will get FOTY but I would want Dawson to get the title..I did think he lost to Johnson,but he got a win over him on the record and fought a extremely tough fight..Paul Williams is a guy we all left out..Does it really piss a lot of you off that most these guys we are talking about have only fought twice this year???I know it makes me mad to think a guy who gets FOTY might of only had 2 fights and get named FOTY..

I wouldn't be upset if W. Klitchko was named FOTY since he atleast fought 3 times and also unified 2 heavyweight belts that hasn't been done since Lennox retired..I know ya all hate the thought of Wlad. being named FOTY but it'd just suck to see a guy who has fought 2 times in the year be FOTY..Shit,4 fights in a year used to be good,now we have gone down to 2..

Paul Williams had 4 fights this year..A fluke against Quintana(I really think he had a really off night that night),KO'd Quintana in 1 round,KO'd a middleweight in 1 round,and TKO'd Phillips who has never been stopped like that before..

Margarito is a good candidate too..
King Eugene
I pick Wlad over AM for FOTY. He wasn't the most exciting but he did unify.
Fitz
For me it's Margarito. While I think it's been a great year for boxing as fights are concerned. We had some really good fights, and they were ones that weren't really mainstream.
But I think ordinary fighters really shined this year. They had the right guys in front of them, even though they were good, there style was great for these match ups.
D-MARV
Margarito should be up there BUt I have to favor Calzaghe! Hopkins was a solid win wether we like it or not ( A win that I also feel was pretty clear)... Jones wasn't a big win but to the casual fans it was. Calzaghe became a recognized name in the U.S by defeating two legends of this era. That's what people are going to look at.
ROLL DEEP
Who have been FOTY candidates in past years?
BoxingStill#1
Definately Margarito....

Then Calzaghe

Then Pacman (pending dec. 6th bout)

Then its a toss between Williams and Dawson

Bernard should go in for UPSET OF THE YEAR......or is that a different thread?
BigG
Calzaghe will never be FOTY
Method
Fight of the year? Margarito/Cotto

Fighter of the Year? Hopkins

I had him edging Calzaghe, and he just annihilated Pavlik. Both top 10 P4P guys. In both instances Hopkins was a decided underdog.

I wouldn't give it to Calzaghe because not only did I think he lost to Hopkins, but free and clear of that, he is in contention for this based on a fight with a washed up Roy Jones. Sorry. You don't have any FOTY honors bestowed on you for beating Roy.
JD
I think we need to wait to see what happens this weekend and next before having all of the info.

Mean Mister Mustard
Judgin as if I were The Ring, I'm pretty sure Wlad will not win even if he beats Rahman. They will look at his opponents, and see only one top guy in there (Ibragimov). The boring nature of the bout will hurt him plus according to them he looked so-so against Thompson. Then beating Rahman is not the type of stuff that gets you the title.

I'm surprised a lot of you are picking Margarito but now that you mention it maybe he will get the honors. The brutal nature of his wins combined with the fac tthat he's had this coming for a while might get him the nod over Calzaghe.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 4 2008, 09:25 AM) [snapback]414084[/snapback]

I had him edging Calzaghe, and he just annihilated Pavlik. Both top 10 P4P guys. In both instances Hopkins was a decided underdog.

I wouldn't give it to Calzaghe because not only did I think he lost to Hopkins, but free and clear of that, he is in contention for this based on a fight with a washed up Roy Jones. Sorry. You don't have any FOTY honors bestowed on you for beating Roy.

Even though I agree, on paper Calzaghe was the winner and history will tell it so. Fact is Hopkins did get touched alote in that fight.

Margarito beat 2 top P4P fighters aswell this year, not old or washed up fighters either, unlike Calzaghe. You have to give Marg the nod.....
D-MARV
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 4 2008, 09:25 AM) [snapback]414084[/snapback]

But you do get MAJOR props for beating Bernard Hopkins, which he did.
Method
Well, like I said, I didnt have him winning, and, therefore, wouldn't give him FOTY.

That is just my opinion, though.
Thegreatequalizer
outside of a pac win i would give foty to margarito. i think his win over cotto was huge and decisive.

i think paul williams is a close contender too, but i think his fights weren't high profile enough for him to get it.

i like both calz and bhop, but i don't think their wins were significant enough in the scheme of boxing to win foty.

vlad is a contender too, but i don't think his performances inspire the foty award.
streetlion1
1. Margarito- Win over a beast like Cotto was too impressive.

2. Hopkins- Had him beating Calzaghe and his win over Pavlik was a masterpiece!

3. Pacman or Marquez...take your pick. Provided Pacman makes it a tough fight even though there is no chance of him winning in my book.

Calzaghes bullshit win over Hopkins and his destruction of old Roy dont get him FOTY.
D-MARV
I find it laughable that you guys really think Hopkins deserves it over Calzaghe...

Anywayz, I pray that Manny Pac leaves no doubt this Saturday
D-MARV
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Dec 4 2008, 12:41 PM) [snapback]414120[/snapback]
Even though I agree, on paper Calzaghe was the winner and history will tell it so. Fact is Hopkins did get touched alote in that fight.

Margarito beat 2 top P4P fighters aswell this year, not old or washed up fighters either, unlike Calzaghe. You have to give Marg the nod.....

What 2 P4P fighters did Margarito beat this year?
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 4 2008, 10:44 PM) [snapback]414237[/snapback]
I find it laughable that you guys really think Hopkins deserves it over Calzaghe...

Anywayz, I pray that Manny Pac leaves no doubt this Saturday

I had Calzaghe winning the fight, still do but I could see how some people have it for Hopkins. Calzaghe wasn't landing flush very much. Trouble is neither was Hopkins.

Anyway to return to the topic at hand, I find it very surprising that many are picking Margarito and I would like to see him win the honor. He deserves it. Trouble is I don't want Pacquiao to lose to DLH.
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 4 2008, 10:50 PM) [snapback]414240[/snapback]
What 2 P4P fighters did Margarito beat this year?

I'm asking the same question. Cotto and who else?
Fitz
If people are rating Hopkins as FOTY, people may as well give it to Marquez. If they think he beat Pacquiao, why not? Then stopping Casamayor. Pretty impressive.

But I don't let my opinion judge these things, I just go by results even if I disagree with them, as it makes things difficult. Could you imagine someone saying Hopkins is p4p #1 because you don't think he has lost? Not saying that he lost all of them, but seems a little strange and then can make for some really interesting rankings.

STEVENSKI
DLH will be FOTY & P4P #1 after Sunday. Sad but true.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 5 2008, 12:12 AM) [snapback]414264[/snapback]
If people are rating Hopkins as FOTY, people may as well give it to Marquez. If they think he beat Pacquiao, why not? Then stopping Casamayor. Pretty impressive.

But I don't let my opinion judge these things, I just go by results even if I disagree with them, as it makes things difficult. Could you imagine someone saying Hopkins is p4p #1 because you don't think he has lost? Not saying that he lost all of them, but seems a little strange and then can make for some really interesting rankings.

When I typed my response a couple pages back, I thought to myself what you just said about Marquez EXACTLY. I totally agree with you, and thats why even though the Hopkins decision is disputed(though i thought Joe edged him), its hard to give him fighter of the year with the official loss. So if you are a Marquez fan who thought he won against Pac, which was very close, he definately should be a top runner for fighter of the year with his KO of Casamayor too. I don't know if I am making sense to anyone.
Fitz
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 5 2008, 04:40 PM) [snapback]414271[/snapback]
When I typed my response a couple pages back, I thought to myself what you just said about Marquez EXACTLY. I totally agree with you, and thats why even though the Hopkins decision is disputed(though i thought Joe edged him), its hard to give him fighter of the year with the official loss. So if you are a Marquez fan who thought he won against Pac, which was very close, he definately should be a top runner for fighter of the year with his KO of Casamayor too. I don't know if I am making sense to anyone.

Yep, makes perfect sense. But yeah, I try to go by official results even if I don't agree with them. If you don't set that example, you will have more people having ridiculous rankings like DLH at #1 because someone may have thought he beat Mayweather and that is his opinion, which would be silly. So I just try to go by results, even if I don't agree.
If I would go with my personal opinion and acted like I judged fights, I would have Marquez winner as I had him beating Pacquiao, but it didn't work out that way and just have to deal with it.
BigG
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 5 2008, 05:12 AM) [snapback]414264[/snapback]

All I know is CalFRAUDY isn't Fighter Of The Year but he might get it because his record simply shows (SD12 Hopkins, UD12 Jones). He lost to Hopkins and you could definitely make an argument to that..why? because alot of rounds were close and could have gone either way. It's such bullshit when people say Calzaghr "controlled" from round 5 on..is controlling slapping the air
mexi-cutioner
I'm going out on a limb here and saying fighter of the year should be(although I doubt he will win) Vic Darchinyan. Yes, thats right, the raging bull. He should be 3-0 this year vs top opponents, i cheered for Z Gorres going into their bout in february, but at the end it was clear Darchy deserved the win and got screwed by the draw. He went on to KO Dimitri kirilov for the ibf superflyweight title and recently KO'd Christian Mijares in 9rounds to unifty the WBA and IBF super flyweight belts. Any thoughts?
mexi-cutioner
BUT, i must say, if Pac wins this bout with DLH, or even keeps it close and loses by SD or a close UD, Pac should win FOTY hands down, not being biased or anything either, its the truth
blackbelt2003
FOTY doesn't really do anything for me any more. Because guys only fight once or twice, it's a contest of who had the biggest win instead of who had the best year.

IMO, a fighter of the year should have had a minimum three fights to be nominated.

Black
AussieLad
QUOTE(mexi-cutioner @ Dec 5 2008, 02:00 PM) [snapback]414293[/snapback]
I'm going out on a limb here and saying fighter of the year should be(although I doubt he will win) Vic Darchinyan. Yes, thats right, the raging bull. He should be 3-0 this year vs top opponents, i cheered for Z Gorres going into their bout in february, but at the end it was clear Darchy deserved the win and got screwed by the draw. He went on to KO Dimitri kirilov for the ibf superflyweight title and recently KO'd Christian Mijares in 9rounds to unifty the WBA and IBF super flyweight belts. Any thoughts?

I think it makes him in the top 5 on the list. Would have been higher if he hadnt been screwed vs gorres. Calzaghe shouldnt get it simply because of the close hopkins fight and the jones mismatch. But in making the decision, you have to by the official verdicts as others have pointed out, and his ledger says "draw vs gorres"

I hope pacman pulls an upset and beats the much larger oscar. If he manages that, he's a lock as fighter of the year. If the reverse is true and oscar wins, it doesnt change my ranking of him in a p4p sense 1 bit because it should be a mismatch based on size

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PACMAN
King Eugene
Any questions about fighter of the year now?

I think Manny sealed it.
D-MARV
No Doubt...

Manny Pacquiao is fighter of the Year!
JonnyBlaze
Pac-man is def. fighter of the year..He moved up 3 weight classes in 1 year and won every single one of those fights by TKO..Marquez/Pac-man was a great fight and really helped Pac-man become a better boxer..He definitely deserves FOTY over Calzaghe for sure..Thank god!!

Will Pac-man fight a non-mexican anytime soon??His last 10 fights were all mexicans..In his last 14 fights,only 1 non mexican..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.