Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Forrest/Williams
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
buford54
I read an interview w/ Vernon on another site. He said that he only wants superfights like DLH/Pacquiao and him fighting Paul Williams is not a superfight so he's not interested.
I understand where he's coming from...getting older and wanting some big paydays then out.
But at 154, that's one of the only fights that matters.
I really think that Vernon wants no part of Paul Williams. I think he sees Williams as a nightmare that's just not worth it at this stage of the game.

I really don't know who would want to fight Vernon in a superfight.
He has 2 wins over Mosely (so does Winky). He also has 2 losses to Mayorga and 1 loss to Sergio Mora.
I don't see how he does any better than a fight w/ PW.

Any thoughts?
Spyder
Forrest wants to get paid...PW won't get him paid.

Maybe he wants a third fight versus Shane...
salvador
If he's honestly not interested in fighting Williams (where Forrest would, I imagine, get at least $1MM), then that's disappointing. And it's not just disappointing because it would be a decent fight for Williams, but it's disappointing because it means that Forrest is finally through - and I like the guy.
buford54
I'm worried about PW's future.
I don't think anyone will fight him because he's a nightmare for anyone in that division.
Forrest has traditionally been a guy who was willing to fight everyone. I would think that having lost to Mora only 2 fights ago, he would want to prove that he's still the top guy by beating someone like PW.

I just hope that PW doesn't go the way of Winky Wright. Nobody wants to fight him, even with a belt...so he's relegated to fighting Bronco McKart three times.
I think he has the tools to beat anyone at 147 or 154. Including Mayweather if he ever came back.
D-MARV
QUOTE(buford54 @ Dec 4 2008, 12:17 PM) [snapback]414115[/snapback]
I'm worried about PW's future.
I don't think anyone will fight him because he's a nightmare for anyone in that division.
Forrest has traditionally been a guy who was willing to fight everyone. I would think that having lost to Mora only 2 fights ago, he would want to prove that he's still the top guy by beating someone like PW.

I just hope that PW doesn't go the way of Winky Wright. Nobody wants to fight him, even with a belt...so he's relegated to fighting Bronco McKart three times.
I think he has the tools to beat anyone at 147 or 154. Including Mayweather if he ever came back.

He's gonna have to fight Sergiy Dzinziruk. He's the only one that seems interested. We have to wait and see about Clottey.
Thegreatequalizer
i don't think forrest is afraid of williams, but he probably does see williams' activity as a big problem. williams' high output probably has him a little worried about losing a decision. for a long time forrest has seemed a bit unmotivated. he really just wants to finish up his retirement fund. if he's concerned about his legacy then he should fight williams. a win over williams would put him back in the p4p arena.
Nay_Sayer
Why doesn't Forrest go after one of the MW title holders? Win a MW title then he'd have some leverage when negotiating for a Pavlik fight.....
buford54
Vernon wasn't a big puncher at 147 and I don't think he'd have the firepower to keep someone like Pavlik off of him for 12 rounds.
He couldn't keep Mayorga off of him.
He's trying to mouth his way into a title fight (the way Hasim Rahman has done several times).
Sadly, when you are in a talented division (unlike the HW's), it's not as easy to do. Especially when you make bold claims then lose to someone from the Contender.
Big Slim Sweet
I've never liked Vernon Forest. His personality has always rubbed me completely the wrong way. Him saying he only wants the De La Hoya's and Pacquaio's of the world sounds typical to me of his bullshit and makes me hate him even more.

Fuck him in the ass I say.
BoxingStill#1
I wonder why Forrest would deny a winnable fight with Williams to opt for a beating from Pavlik?

I would absolutely love to see a Wright and Williams,....real good test for Williams, a real good way to say "Im back" from Wright.

D-MARV
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Dec 4 2008, 04:34 PM) [snapback]414160[/snapback]
I wonder why Forrest would deny a winnable fight with Williams to opt for a beating from Pavlik?

I would absolutely love to see a Wright and Williams,....real good test for Williams, a real good way to say "Im back" from Wright.

Williams would win a 8-4 decision! Too Much activity.
Fitz
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 5 2008, 08:05 AM) [snapback]414153[/snapback]
I've never liked Vernon Forest. His personality has always rubbed me completely the wrong way. Him saying he only wants the De La Hoya's and Pacquaio's of the world sounds typical to me of his bullshit and makes me hate him even more.

Fuck him in the ass I say.

But he works with disabled children.
King Eugene
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Dec 4 2008, 04:34 PM) [snapback]414160[/snapback]

Even though Williams is a WW, I think Winky would need a tune up for that one. Do you think that would sell big? I mean I'd buy it but to the casual boxing fan/general public I dont think they would be too much into it especially with Winky being out for so long. But then again Golden Boy Promotions can sell water to a whale.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 4 2008, 08:47 PM) [snapback]414211[/snapback]
But he works with disabled children.

I think you're being facetious. If not, I'll just say a guy can do good things for people and still be a complete dickwad asshole fuckface scumbag cuntlips douchebag shitfuck cocksucker at the same time.
neophyte7
Winky Wright schools Paul Williams--- I am waiting for Winky to return... notice how everyone who fights Hopkins needs some recuperation time!!! Hopkins gave Wright a work over...
D-MARV
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Dec 6 2008, 10:34 AM) [snapback]414442[/snapback]
Winky Wright schools Paul Williams--- I am waiting for Winky to return... notice how everyone who fights Hopkins needs some recuperation time!!! Hopkins gave Wright a work over...

LOL... How do you figure Wright "schools" PWill?
MarzB
Especially when you make bold claims then lose to someone from the Contender.

And?? Whats wrong with losing if you avenged the fight totally without question??

He's doing nothing different than what Hopkins and De la Hoya did at these stages of his career and why not?? He's established himself . Should he fight Martinez or one of these up and coming guys?? I don't think it's worth it myself.

Paul is beatable but as mentioned here his activity does indeed pose a problem. He can forget De la Hoya but I have a great fight for Vernon that may NOT be lucrative but it's for a belt and it would be very entertaining and that would be he and Daniel Santos (another name Margarito like Williams will never utter out his mouth,lol).
MarzB
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 6 2008, 12:42 PM) [snapback]414445[/snapback]
LOL... How do you figure Wright "schools" PWill?

I agree. If Wright is back on having had a tune up fight, I think he is very favored at 160. Contrary to popular belief Winky has more punches than a jab. But he having done the best I've ever seen against Hopkins and that includes CalSLAPPY I can easily see him giving Paul problems.

The way Quintana beat Paul the first time was he got in between Paul's punches. I know people LOVE "activity" and think it's the end all in boxing but theres a reason why that style hasn't been seen in boxing. You're most open when you punch. Winky is an excellent countering and could easily disrupt Paul's rhythm and timing.

One tidbit I noticed about Paul is he fight exactly the same way (rhythm) all the time. (I'm mocking how he starts his arms like Fred Flintstone does when he's about to run,lol). Not to mentions Wright jab is like a "right hand".

The power that Williams has (I think the guy is actually a 154lb) wouldn't do anything with Winky. Wright has faced plenty of guys that hit harder than Williams so you can throw that out of the equation.

I think it's a good makeable/doable fight next year should Williams want to move up to 160 and want to get a good name on his resume should he beat Wright. He certainly won't fight get a fight with Margarito next year, that I can definitely tell you..
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(MarzB @ Dec 6 2008, 12:50 PM) [snapback]414449[/snapback]
I agree. If Wright is back on having had a tune up fight, I think he is very favored at 160. Contrary to popular belief Winky has more punches than a jab. But he having done the best I've ever seen against Hopkins and that includes CalSLAPPY I can easily see him giving Paul problems.

Absolutely. Not to mention that Williams has problems with southpaws. Winky is one of the best southpaws in the business. I'd like to see this fight... I dont think its PPV worthy, but its definitely one I'd be catching...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.