Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To those who are mocking DLH as a "quitter"
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Byrd Man
I've seen on a few boards and boxing sites where people are mocking DLh and calling him a "quitter" and talking about how "disgusted" that they were @ DLH.

Why? What was DLH supposed to do? Just keep going out there and get the hell beat out of him for nothing? It was obvious that he had nothing for Pacman. There was really no chance of him having any success against him, much less a chance to win.

So if DLH had honor I suppose he would suck it up, go out there and get his face beat in, and possibly suffer permanent damage, just so some couch ridden wanna-be fight expert can be satisfied?

How many fighters have gotten killed in the ring and then afterwards people are like "that shoulda been stopped a round or two sooner?"

What's disgusting is the people out there ridiculing Oscar for being a "quitter"

I suppose if DLH had died in the ring or afterwards, but not "quit" everything would have been fine then.

some fucking people, man....
Method
An EXCUSE is DEFINITELY coming for why DLH was NOT punching. Mark my words.

DLH was overheard by Merchant in the ring telling someone on his team "I brought this on myself".

Larry tried to elicit an explanation, but, to his credit, DLH did not make an excuse, instead giving Paq a lot of credit. HOWEVER, I bet he comes out with it this week.
JD
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 7 2008, 04:13 PM) [snapback]415017[/snapback]
An EXCUSE is DEFINITELY coming for why DLH was NOT punching. Mark my words.

DLH was overheard by Merchant in the ring telling someone on his team "I brought this on myself".

Larry tried to elicit an explanation, but, to his credit, DLH did not make an excuse, instead giving Paq a lot of credit. HOWEVER, I bet he comes out with it this week.

Left shoulder...bank on it.
BigG
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Dec 7 2008, 08:46 PM) [snapback]415013[/snapback]
I've seen on a few boards and boxing sites where people are mocking DLh and calling him a "quitter" and talking about how "disgusted" that they were @ DLH.

Why? What was DLH supposed to do? Just keep going out there and get the hell beat out of him for nothing? It was obvious that he had nothing for Pacman. There was really no chance of him having any success against him, much less a chance to win.

So if DLH had honor I suppose he would suck it up, go out there and get his face beat in, and possibly suffer permanent damage, just so some couch ridden wanna-be fight expert can be satisfied?

How many fighters have gotten killed in the ring and then afterwards people are like "that shoulda been stopped a round or two sooner?"

What's disgusting is the people out there ridiculing Oscar for being a "quitter"

I suppose if DLH had died in the ring or afterwards, but not "quit" everything would have been fine then.

I agree... and although I've never been the biggest DLH fan, it's sad to see faded fighters take beatings from peak fighters like the one Oscar took from Manny. The one Oscar took from Manny was reminiscent of the beating Ali took from Holmes. Nacho should have thrown in the towel the moment round 8 ended. DLH wasn't even throwing back.
Byrd Man
Personally I think because it was the "Golden Boy" is the only reason I can imagine of why it was not stopped in the seventh when Manny was hitting him at will and Oscar wasn't able to do anything back to him.

KookedKrack
i don't really think anyone here was calling him a quitter

cross dresser? yes

closet homosexual? maybe

phony? most definitely

quitter? i dunno.... manny beat the fuck out of him its not like he had any chance anyway if he would have kept fighting
Imperius3
All of this disrespect is ridiculous. Are you guys boxing fans or sadists?

It doesn't matter what your assumptions are on the man's character. You shouldn't judge someone you really know nothing about.

DLH was a great fighter, and his time has now come to an end. He's given us some great, historic fights. Give him some respect.
Mean Mister Mustard
I agree with Byrdman, too often people call a fighter "pussy" for quitting and then when a fighter goes into a coma or worse, people start blaming the ref, they start saying they never criticize fighters and some even wonder whether boxing should be legal. Then 2 months later they are back to their old ways. These guys are either idiots or young people who have only started watching boxing for a while and have never been in a fight, much less a ring. DLH didn't lose because he's a pussy, he lost because he was facing a better man and he was never that skillful to begin with.

This also raises the point though about huge paydays in boxing. DLH will make around 22 million for a night's work. At 22 million you expect him to give us a not only a better fight but a better undercard. I mean did this fight seriously deserve to happen? Manny proved he belonged in there but apart from him beating a bigger man what did boxing gain? Imagine what other great fights on HBO we could have had had they not pumped in so much money and time on this one.
STEVENSKI
I will go out on that shaky limb & call him a quitter.

Yes he was taking a beating but so was Harding against Andreas & he showed heart & kept fighting despite being heavily behind on the cards. Guess what he knocked his man out because he was no quitter unlike DLH who clearly is. Jake Lamotta never knew the meaning of the word either.

DLH is a quitter through & through & none of this "he may have died crap" will cut the mustard with me.
BigG
^ Just like Tszyu quit against Hatton
Byrd Man
No offense Stevenski, but you've stated before that you want to see a fighter you don't like crippled in front of his wife and kids.

Fair or not, your opinion really doesn't mean shit.
Lil-lightsout
I am for one am not going to call him a quitter yet, he was not throw any damn punches for rounds. I REALLY want to know if there is a reason or excuse or some type of explanation why he just stopped throwing punches. Why the hell for those last couple would he take all those damn punches and not just go down if he wanted out? He just barely ever engaged in any exchanges in those last rounds, like he gave up the will to win. Was he not able to pull the trigger anymore or was something else wrong?

I gave Sam Peter alot of heat for his lack of effort against Vitali and basically quitting. This fight is kind of similar that they were both getting shutout, but Oscar was taking WAY more hard flush shots from Manny. So I really don't know what to think.

But in the end it is much better to live his life than something terrible that could have happened in the ring, regardless how much Oscar is hated.
KookedKrack
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Dec 7 2008, 05:18 PM) [snapback]415028[/snapback]

It doesn't matter what you're assumptions are on the man's character. You shouldn't judge someone you really know nothing about.

DLH was a great fighter, and his time has now come to an end. He's given us some great, historic fights. Give him some respect.

where is this so called disrespect you guys are seeing? and i have yet to see someone on this site not give him respect as a boxer now as a person thats a whole different story

aside from maybe 2 people no one on here is calling him a pussy or a quitter
stillperpetuallygrooving
THANK YOU, finally someone else recognizes DLH as the legend that he is....NO ONE, and I MEAN NOO ONE took on as many challengers and had as many tought fights as DLH...he did it for the fans, and this is how he gets repayed? people act like if htey had the chance to make that much money they would have "HONOR" and not take it.....EVEN IN DEFEAT, DLH made no excuses, gave manny all the credit in the world, and was nothing but gracious in defeat...yet losers still talk smack about him...it cant be anymore obvious they are just that jealous of the golden boy, but shit, who wouldnt want to have his life? good looking dude, good loving family, billionare(just about)...so people try to find things about him...haha and those fake ass pictures, they are FUNNY AS HELL, but equally as fake..EVEN, if they were real, the only wrong thing is that he was married....that doesnt make you gay to get drunk and do funny stupid shit and have a good time? haha shit, ive seen worse then that at frat parties...but people with insignificant lives, and probably ugly as sin, like kookedkrack who resides on deer hoof lane with his mom....and JACK THE ADMINISTRATOR, and mean mr. mustard or whateve....HAHAHA anyone who would name themselves from a COUNTING CROWS SONG is a joke...DLH is better looking than ya'll, HAHA WOULD BEAT THE EVER LIVING SHIT OUT OF KOOKEDKRAK and all the aforementioned, more money, more successful, etc...HAHA god i would love to see some of ya'll portly virgins try to make fun of DLH to his face....wow how funny would that be?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 7 2008, 10:31 PM) [snapback]415031[/snapback]

Tszyu did not quit he was stopped by his corner & not in any shape to be arguing about that.

QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Dec 7 2008, 10:35 PM) [snapback]415032[/snapback]
No offense Stevenski, but you've stated before that you want to see a fighter you don't like crippled in front of his wife and kids.

Fair or not, your opinion really doesn't mean shit.

No but my opinion actually means something to me so therefore I will state it time & time again.

That fighter I wanted to see suffer was PBF & he is a different kettle of fish altogether so I don't exactly find that relevant to my opinion of DLH as being strictly a frontrunner who has never displayed any real heart in the ring.
stillperpetuallygrooving
hahah hey svenski who do you think would win in a fight between you and DLH? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....hey svenski, how bad does it suck having your life? how bad does it suck to look like you, have your job, and your boyfriend? HAHAHAHAHAHA
Lil-lightsout
I for one never hated Oscar,I do think he is fake though, but no doubt he has faced alot of tough fighters and took on many challenges in his career. He had a great career and made alot of money for himself, and he gave us some great fights too. Good for him and hopefully he makes the right decision to retire(though it is probably going to be hard to go out like that). Pretty much anybody who steps into that ring has my respect.
thehype
I don't recall too many people bashing him for quitting....but technically speaking, he did quit on his stool.

For the record though, I have seen other fighters take far worse beatings, and yet, they still beg and plead to allow the fight to continue (Arturo Gatti comes to mind...or Diego Corrales...even Chris Byrd wanted to go on after the shellacking he took from Shaun George)...but I'm not going to label De La Hoya a "quitter" as though he just said, "fuck it...I've had enough," a la Acelino Freitas. He was taking a beating and there really wasn't any point of continuing if he wasn't going to throw any punches back. That being said, I do kind of feel like mentally, he quit after the second or third round. Pretty much from the fourth round on, he didn't throw any punches or even attempt to rough Pacquiao up by mugging him, leaning on him or doing whatever it took to put hands on him. He just kind of shut everything down after the third round and allowed Pacquiao to tee off on him as he just walked right into punches and/or covered up like a little kid.

But again, I wouldn't label him a "quitter"...but at some point in that fight, he did just kind of give up without putting up much of a fight.

Just my opinion though...but I'm not bashing him for it...I think it's kind of sad to see a once proud champion be reduced to the site we saw on Saturday. If I were a De La Hoya fan, I'd probably feel just like all those old timers who watched Marciano whip up on Louis.
Method
Hell, man, it seemed like he shut down the moment he stepped out of his dressing room. I didn't see him throwing ANYTHING at ANY time, really.

To be COMPLETELY fucking honest, I am amazed that compubox had him landing 80 punches. I didnt see that.
thehype
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 7 2008, 06:17 PM) [snapback]415047[/snapback]
Hell, man, it seemed like he shut down the moment he stepped out of his dressing room. I didn't see him throwing ANYTHING at ANY time, really.

To be COMPLETELY fucking honest, I am amazed that compubox had him landing 80 punches. I didnt see that.

I agree. No way he landed 80 punches...I didn't see that at all. Maybe 8.

laugh.gif
BigG
Well this is the same compubox that had Joe Calzaghe landing 230 punches on Bernard Hopkins.
Byrd Man
QUOTE(thehype @ Dec 7 2008, 05:58 PM) [snapback]415042[/snapback]
.even Chris Byrd wanted to go on after the shellacking he took from Shaun George)

*puts Hype on ignore*

laugh.gif
salvador
QUOTE(thehype @ Dec 7 2008, 06:58 PM) [snapback]415042[/snapback]
I don't recall too many people bashing him for quitting....but technically speaking, he did quit on his stool.

For the record though, I have seen other fighters take far worse beatings, and yet, they still beg and plead to allow the fight to continue (Arturo Gatti comes to mind...or Diego Corrales...even Chris Byrd wanted to go on after the shellacking he took from Shaun George)...but I'm not going to label De La Hoya a "quitter" as though he just said, "fuck it...I've had enough," a la Acelino Freitas. He was taking a beating and there really wasn't any point of continuing if he wasn't going to throw any punches back. That being said, I do kind of feel like mentally, he quit after the second or third round. Pretty much from the fourth round on, he didn't throw any punches or even attempt to rough Pacquiao up by mugging him, leaning on him or doing whatever it took to put hands on him. He just kind of shut everything down after the third round and allowed Pacquiao to tee off on him as he just walked right into punches and/or covered up like a little kid.

But again, I wouldn't label him a "quitter"...but at some point in that fight, he did just kind of give up without putting up much of a fight.

Just my opinion though...but I'm not bashing him for it...I think it's kind of sad to see a once proud champion be reduced to the site we saw on Saturday. If I were a De La Hoya fan, I'd probably feel just like all those old timers who watched Marciano whip up on Louis.

I'd add Azumah Nelson in the Sanchez fight, Vargas in the Tito fight and Tito in the Hopkins fight.

And like you I would never blame DLH for quitting because his bravery is beyond question, but he did quit when others would have gone on, and I doubt he would have quit if he was 22 years old. He just became an old man in one night.

It's too bad for DLH and his fans, but he is 36.

Method
Shit man, 36 is the new 26 in boxing.
KookedKrack
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 7 2008, 08:04 PM) [snapback]415059[/snapback]
Shit man, 36 is the new 26 in boxing.

for anyone not named Bernard Hopkins i don't thing this applies lol
alaganza
I see nothing wrong with a fighter saying he's had enough.

He's the one taking the punches. Not us sitting on the couch watching.

A man can only take so much. Some are willing to take more than others.

It doesn't make him any less of a man.

Maybe the cross dressing does....... But not quitting in the ring.
Thegreatequalizer
well, it is kind of shitty to charge hard working people $50 a pop just to take your $20 million (or whatever he made) and not give it your all. but, i guess, technically it might've been worth the $50 to watch that prick get his ass whipped.

that being said, the "excuse" that he'll eventually come out with will most likely be the weight. he probably drained himself to make weight and didn't have the juice when he got in the ring. i believe if this is the excuse that he uses that it actually is a legitimate excuse for him as far as him not delivering in the ring. but all boxers, i'm sure, are aware of some of the dangers that go along with cutting weight, so it's not an excuse that lets him off the hook for getting beat.
BrutalBodyShots
He didn't drain himself to make weight obviously since his fighting weight and weigh in weight were virtually the same.
D-MARV
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 7 2008, 09:00 PM) [snapback]415076[/snapback]
He didn't drain himself to make weight obviously since his fighting weight and weigh in weight were virtually the same.

He lost far too much weight and I do believe he drained to make weight! Fuck the unofficial weight!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Dec 7 2008, 06:18 PM) [snapback]415028[/snapback]

It doesn't matter what you're assumptions are on the man's character. You shouldn't judge someone you really know nothing about.

Exactly man clapping.gif

This shit is ridiculous..
Brad
you guys should check out the threads regarding this fight before it actually happened. It was called a SHAM and a CIRCUIS ACT and anybody who supported the fight or gave Pacman any chance of winning was swiftly shut down and arrogantly disrespected by internet know it alls. These people could have respectfully gave there opinion that they thought Oscar would win but they were too arrogant and rude. These same arrogant and rude people are now just pissed off that Oscar got KTFO and Manny made them look like real fools and their arrogance is on display when they call Oscar a quitter!
Spyder
Oscar's excuse will be that he overtrained. I started thinking that as a possibility when he said he was down to 145 about a month ago.

That would explain him being sluggish and unable to get off...either way, Pac beat his ass. Oscar didn't quit, he was beat into submission.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Brad @ Dec 7 2008, 10:52 PM) [snapback]415105[/snapback]
you guys should check out the threads regarding this fight before it actually happened. It was called a SHAM and a CIRCUIS ACT and anybody who supported the fight or gave Pacman any chance of winning was swiftly shut down and arrogantly disrespected by internet know it alls. These people could have respectfully gave there opinion that they thought Oscar would win but they were too arrogant and rude. These same arrogant and rude people are now just pissed off that Oscar got KTFO and Manny made them look like real fools and their arrogance is on display when they call Oscar a quitter!

So where was your expert opinion BEFORE the fight? Do you even know what KTFO means? Because that did not happen, unless you could tell me what round and what punch Manny used to KTFO Oscar.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 7 2008, 11:54 PM) [snapback]415115[/snapback]
So where was your expert opinion BEFORE the fight? Do you even know what KTFO means? Because that did not happen, unless you could tell me what round and what punch Manny used to KTFO Oscar.

YEah, far too many people here asre spewing shit as if they picked the right guy to win. Me on the other hand Mean Mister Mustard, picked Pacquiao to win, although not by stoppage. That was a surprising bonus.

Brad
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 8 2008, 01:54 PM) [snapback]415115[/snapback]

you were obviously one of those people LMAO. An opinion is one thing, but to dismiss a boxing event between two elite athletes as being nothing more than a circuis act is stupidity of the arrogant. Oh and are you also one of those people who think that a knock out is only when a person is rendered unconcious? Its a lucky thing you don't dictate what is on a boxers record either then, some fighters with 35 knockouts on their records may end up with 3 with your line of thinking. Sorry to offend you or any of the other ARROGANT FOOLS who labelled this a circuis act, your loss, i pity you!!!
buford54
QUOTE(Brad @ Dec 8 2008, 02:21 AM) [snapback]415135[/snapback]
you were obviously one of those people LMAO. An opinion is one thing, but to dismiss a boxing event between two elite athletes as being nothing more than a circuis act is stupidity of the arrogant. Oh and are you also one of those people who think that a knock out is only when a person is rendered unconcious? Its a lucky thing you don't dictate what is on a boxers record either then, some fighters with 35 knockouts on their records may end up with 3 with your line of thinking. Sorry to offend you or any of the other ARROGANT FOOLS who labelled this a circuis act, your loss, i pity you!!!

I picked Manny to win the fight.
That said, I also called the event a circus. The circus is where people attempt feats that no normal person should ever try (shot out of a cannon, tight-rope, etc).
I believed that Oscar set this fight up for the marketing. Because of Manny's knockouts and record against Mexican fighters, it's easy to sell with a dramatic 24/7.
In reality, for a guy who has fought at 160, fighting a guy who has fought once at 135 and will be jumping 12 pounds is ridiculous. Especially one who comes straight forward.
This was supposed to be a repeat of the Mayorga fight for Oscar. He would outbox then KO a straight forward brawler.

Nobody is stupid for calling this a circus.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Dec 7 2008, 02:46 PM) [snapback]415013[/snapback]

I agree with this article Byrd MAn... While it is true Oscar did quit i don't think it is a testament to him being or not being a true Mexican warrior which is what i have been reading from a lot of Hispanics on some of the boards i'm on... The way he quit and the way Roberto Duran quit was two diffrent scenarios... Yes, he did quit, and while I was happy to see him lose I think it was smart for him to stay on the stool like he did. As much as i don't like Oscar as a fighter, and that's because i've always felt he picked on smaller fighters most of his career, I would hate to see him or any other fighter get hurt in the ring. At the end of the day more fighters need to know when enough is just enough. He had no chance of winning at that point and the rest of the fight had he not eventually got knocked out was going to be a very brutal beating for him. As I said on another board he should be very glad he wasn't fighting Margarito Saturday night. We might have seen Oscar stretched out.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Dec 7 2008, 04:25 PM) [snapback]415029[/snapback]
I agree with Byrdman, too often people call a fighter "pussy" for quitting and then when a fighter goes into a coma or worse, people start blaming the ref, they start saying they never criticize fighters and some even wonder whether boxing should be legal. Then 2 months later they are back to their old ways. These guys are either idiots or young people who have only started watching boxing for a while and have never been in a fight, much less a ring. DLH didn't lose because he's a pussy, he lost because he was facing a better man and he was never that skillful to begin with.

This also raises the point though about huge paydays in boxing. DLH will make around 22 million for a night's work. At 22 million you expect him to give us a not only a better fight but a better undercard. I mean did this fight seriously deserve to happen? Manny proved he belonged in there but apart from him beating a bigger man what did boxing gain? Imagine what other great fights on HBO we could have had had they not pumped in so much money and time on this one.

Mean mister correct please if I am wrong but I think these huge paydays these fighters are getting are effecting the quality of the undercards... I was talking to a friend of mine today about the Dana white interview and i am of the opinion that he made a lot of scence as much as i hate to admit it... my thought is this. I think back to when Don kings cash cow (mike tyson) was in prison... he put on the best fight cards ever... Even before tyson went to the pen loko at the undercard for the first tyson ruddock fight... that was a solid undercard he made you wantto order the fight. The whole undercard was champion ship main even caliber fights... even when you know the main even was a mismatch the event was worth ordering because of the quality of the undercard... its not like that anymore... thats a little off subject but it goes hand in hand...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Dec 8 2008, 02:03 PM) [snapback]415205[/snapback]
Mean mister correct please if I am wrong but I think these huge paydays these fighters are getting are effecting the quality of the undercards... I was talking to a friend of mine today about the Dana white interview and i am of the opinion that he made a lot of scence as much as i hate to admit it... my thought is this. I think back to when Don kings cash cow (mike tyson) was in prison... he put on the best fight cards ever... Even before tyson went to the pen loko at the undercard for the first tyson ruddock fight... that was a solid undercard he made you wantto order the fight. The whole undercard was champion ship main even caliber fights... even when you know the main even was a mismatch the event was worth ordering because of the quality of the undercard... its not like that anymore... thats a little off subject but it goes hand in hand...

I asked the same question earlier last week about why the undercard sucked so much and the answer I received was yes, since the 2 main event fighters are receiving millions in double digits there isn't enough for a decent undercards which is why in DLH PPV fights, where he and his opponent suck off so much money, the undercard ends up being filled with journeymen or club sub par ESPN fighters, because that's all they can afford.

The worst thing is you have guys like Mayweather and Jones who were being paid millions for fighting mediocre comp and so now every up and coming fighter expects those type of paydays. How is boxing ever going to scale down on those salaries now that the precedent of huge sums was set a long time ago?

As for DLH qutting, he took a beating and there was nothing he could do about it, for those saying that DLH didn't let his hands go well the guy couldn't. He was being pepperd most of the time and when he was punching he was missing. He didn't deserve the 22 mil he got even if he would have won. Hell even 7 million is too much for a fight, if anyone deserves these type of paydays it would have to be guys like Castillo and Corrales.
Tha Docta
i think delahoyas corner had alot to do with him quitting. right when he got back to the corner he told them he was ok, then Nacho starts in with his bullshit about how manny is too fast and that he should just quit. i agree with whoever said delahoya actually quit around the 3rd round, cause thats when he really checked out of the fight. right when he saw what was happening he should have tried to maul pacman and hit him wherever he could. we saw a man that not only had diminished skills, but also appears to lack the determination that made him so good in his younger days.

also, im surprised delahoya was even able to walk into the ring on those flamingo legs he was sporting. looked like 2 toothpicks sticking out of his shorts.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 7 2008, 04:31 PM) [snapback]415031[/snapback]

This I do not understand as the fight was very close. In fact I even remember I gave Tszyu a very close 11th round. That decision by Kosta to quit made no sense. One of my first posts after the Delahoya fight, to be funny I called him "Oscar DeLa Quitter" but considering the beating he was taking and the fact that boxing is far more safety conscious than even 20 years ago, I have to echo what others have said. What else did you want him to do? He was shutout on two cards. One judge gave him only one round. But when a guy has no chance to win anymore, why run the risk of him getting really badly hurt, or yes, even killed? Do you know what could happen to boxing if a well-known fighter like Delahoya or Holyfield were to die in the ring? You would have six months to a year of Olympic boxing type stoppages, calls for head-gear, and 10-round world title bouts. Just wait if someone gets killed in the 11th or 12th round of a fight. Jose Sulaiman of the WBC will over-react again for calls to reduce championship rounds from 12 to 10. Doctors will come out with more headgear proposals, and fights will be stopped on an unanswered 4-punch combination.

I'm not saying all this stuff WILL happen, but it COULD be proposed and I think it's bullshit. It's bullshit for all these safety people to come out of the woodwork when a well-known fighter dies. Because the real problem, isn't the death of the fighter itself. It's the circumstances as to why fighters like Holyfield are too stubborn, stupid, (or both) to see enough is enough, and for commissioners and corner people to stop these matches when a guy is taking a round after round after round beating. Sure, you take the stakes of the fight and the magnitude of the fight into consideration. But when a guy is getting beaten to a pulp and there is no chance of the fighter who is administering the punishment is slowing down, and the pattern is developing round, after round, after round, when do you stop it?

Seriously, what exactly did you want to happen to Delahoya to justify his match with Pacquiao to continue? And if it should have continued, how long should it have continued? I guess I am trying to find a line between what defines "quitting." and what defines "going on when there is an overt health risk to the fighter?"

Jack
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Dec 8 2008, 01:43 PM) [snapback]415207[/snapback]
I asked the same question earlier last week about why the undercard sucked so much and the answer I received was yes, since the 2 main event fighters are receiving millions in double digits there isn't enough for a decent undercards which is why in DLH PPV fights, where he and his opponent suck off so much money, the undercard ends up being filled with journeymen or club sub par ESPN fighters, because that's all they can afford.

The worst thing is you have guys like Mayweather and Jones who were being paid millions for fighting mediocre comp and so now every up and coming fighter expects those type of paydays. How is boxing ever going to scale down on those salaries now that the precedent of huge sums was set a long time ago?

As for DLH qutting, he took a beating and there was nothing he could do about it, for those saying that DLH didn't let his hands go well the guy couldn't. He was being pepperd most of the time and when he was punching he was missing. He didn't deserve the 22 mil he got even if he would have won. Hell even 7 million is too much for a fight, if anyone deserves these type of paydays it would have to be guys like Castillo and Corrales.

Its funny we think alike when it comes to the sweet science mr mustard.. oscar didnt deserve 22 million for that fight... but again neither did manny.. these guys are getting paid for too much... like you said it is probably too late now but the undercards are def. suffering because of it... the way the elite fighters are getting paid is another reason why they are only fighting once or twice a year at best as well... if i made 20 million a fight i would only fight once a year too...lol... but its killing the sport.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Dec 8 2008, 03:17 PM) [snapback]415213[/snapback]
This I do not understand as the fight was very close. In fact I even remember I gave Tszyu a very close 11th round. That decision by Kosta to quit made no sense. One of my first posts after the Delahoya fight, to be funny I called him "Oscar DeLa Quitter" but considering the beating he was taking and the fact that boxing is far more safety conscious than even 20 years ago, I have to echo what others have said. What else did you want him to do? He was shutout on two cards. One judge gave him only one round. But when a guy has no chance to win anymore, why run the risk of him getting really badly hurt, or yes, even killed? Do you know what could happen to boxing if a well-known fighter like Delahoya or Holyfield were to die in the ring? You would have six months to a year of Olympic boxing type stoppages, calls for head-gear, and 10-round world title bouts. Just wait if someone gets killed in the 11th or 12th round of a fight. Jose Sulaiman of the WBC will over-react again for calls to reduce championship rounds from 12 to 10. Doctors will come out with more headgear proposals, and fights will be stopped on an unanswered 4-punch combination.

I'm not saying all this stuff WILL happen, but it COULD be proposed and I think it's bullshit. It's bullshit for all these safety people to come out of the woodwork when a well-known fighter dies. Because the real problem, isn't the death of the fighter itself. It's the circumstances as to why fighters like Holyfield are too stubborn, stupid, (or both) to see enough is enough, and for commissioners and corner people to stop these matches when a guy is taking a round after round after round beating. Sure, you take the stakes of the fight and the magnitude of the fight into consideration. But when a guy is getting beaten to a pulp and there is no chance of the fighter who is administering the punishment is slowing down, and the pattern is developing round, after round, after round, when do you stop it?

Seriously, what exactly did you want to happen to Delahoya to justify his match with Pacquiao to continue? And if it should have continued, how long should it have continued? I guess I am trying to find a line between what defines "quitting." and what defines "going on when there is an overt health risk to the fighter?"

Jack

I think oscar was kind of hoping that weeks would stop the fight in the middle of the previous round. i think he was trying to not quit on his stool but was left no other choice after it was clear that his corner & the ref were not going to stop it.
gods son
Who else changed opinion and prediction after seeing Oscar in the changing room, warming up? The guy looked half-dead it was kinda disturbing, and knew he would get ripped apart!
Nacho was right on the money pulling him out or oscar would've got his azz knocked out!
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Dec 8 2008, 02:17 PM) [snapback]415213[/snapback]

Jack

there is a big diffrence in the way oscar dela and kostya tszyu quit and lets say the way duran and acelino freitas quit... duran as great a fighter as he is quit against leonard... he could have fought on.. freitas in the fights he quit both times could have fought on... tszyu had been through a long very gruelling hard fight and rather he won that 11th round or not i dont think and i would have to go back an watch the fight but i am not sure he won that 11th round tho he could have but point being you never know what a fighter is feeling after a fight like that.. the fighter knows more than the corner or the fans watching what is going on inside his body... hoya was done and the sad thing is his corner was triing to send him out for more of a beating... they where asking him for one more round.?.... i remember when gerald mcclelan eneded his fight with benn by taking the knees ferdie pacheco was calling him all kinds of quitter.. questioning his heart.. i say that to say he knew sumthin was going wrong and he ended the fight like he was supposed to... its all about how a fighter quits that brings into question his manhood.. i dont blame oscar and again i have to say this as a non fan i dont blame oscar for not going out there and getting his brains scrambled and knocked out.. seperated from his sences cuzz that is what was next to happen in the fight... either a knockout or a brutal beating for the remainder of the rounds.. as a fan of the sport to me it is not fun to watch a fighter that i know is done continue to fight on... this is not bloodsport it is boxing... i like the knockout as much as the next guy they are fun to watch but when you know the guy getting knocked out has no earthly chance of winning (and you know the knockout is coming) and a beating is going to have to take place before the knockout comes what fun is that? It's fun if the fighter still has some kinda chance but oscar hardly touched manny and he wasnt going to and it def. is no fun to watch a fighter laying on the canvas fighting for his life i don't care how big of a non fan you are. i rather see a fighter go out on his stool than get hurt or worse.
neophyte7
It was damned enjoyable watching DLH's greedy ass get beaten mercilessly---
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Dec 8 2008, 06:49 PM) [snapback]415204[/snapback]
he should be very glad he wasn't fighting Margarito Saturday night. We might have seen Oscar stretched out.

I would have been quite happy to see that myself. DLH vs Margarito they could call it "Respect vs Redemption". I would buy that in a second with a snazzy marketing campaign showing DLH as the evil rich guy drinking French champange & eating caviar & Margarito paying for Burger King with nickels but his kids get water because they can't afford Pepsi.

Hear those cash registers ringing?
Big Slim Sweet
I don't think Oscar is a quitter, but this isn't really the time for patting him on the back or scolding thrilled to death posters like myself who loved every second of watching him get bent over and ass-raped by a midget.

No. It's our time...to laugh and laugh and laugh... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

And laugh and laugh and laugh....... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 8 2008, 04:30 PM) [snapback]415258[/snapback]
I don't think Oscar is a quitter, but this isn't really the time for patting him on the back or scolding thrilled to death posters like myself who loved every second of watching him get bent over and ass-raped by a midget.

No. It's our time...to laugh and laugh and laugh... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

And laugh and laugh and laugh....... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

dont get it twisted now.. even though i picked oscar to win i was rootin for manny.. i just didnt see any way manny could win the fight i was wrong... but OOOHHHH how i so enjoyed watching oscar get served up myself... i figured his playing with smaller guys finally caught up with him!!!...lol... all i been saying is that when a fighter is done he's done.. no need for those guys taking extra beatings... even if we dont like them as a fighter...
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Dec 8 2008, 06:46 PM) [snapback]415262[/snapback]
dont get it twisted now.. even though i picked oscar to win i was rootin for manny.. i just didnt see any way manny could win the fight i was wrong... but OOOHHHH how i so enjoyed watching oscar get served up myself... i figured his playing with smaller guys finally caught up with him!!!...lol... all i been saying is that when a fighter is done he's done.. no need for those guys taking extra beatings... even if we dont like them as a fighter...

I didn't actually read through the whole thread so I wasn't responding to anyone in particular. But I agree with you, while I don't like Oscar I don't want to see him take a beating like that again.

Just like with Roy, I loved seeing him KO'd once, but twice not so much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.