Retire.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 7 2008, 04:56 PM) [snapback]415023[/snapback]
Retire.

Exactly!
Method
Let me see DLH/Jones.
alaganza
If these guys fought in my front yard I would close the blinds and call the cops.

i have no interest in that fight whatsoever. The only reason these guys can keep putting on these meaningless fights is because people still pay for them.

The CEO
QUOTE(alaganza @ Dec 7 2008, 08:11 PM) [snapback]415063[/snapback]
If these guys fought in my front yard I would close the blinds and call the cops.

i have no interest in that fight whatsoever. The only reason these guys can keep putting on these meaningless fights is because people still pay for them.

BAAAAHHHAHAHAHAHHHAAAHHHAAAAAAAA!!
KookedKrack
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

alaganza has closed this thread thank you have a nice night
Method
God, Im sick. According to Steve Kim, John wirt of Square Ring was in town on behalf of roy Jones to discuss a negotiation for Jones to fight Hopkins. Please NO!
BrutalBodyShots
DLH and Trinidad are 3 divisions apart. At most DLH could pop up 1 and Trinidad down 1 but still they wouldn't be able to meet.

D-MARV
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 7 2008, 08:50 PM) [snapback]415071[/snapback]
God, Im sick. According to Steve Kim, John wirt of Square Ring was in town on behalf of roy Jones to discuss a negotiation for Jones to fight Hopkins. Please NO!

I rather Hopkins retire then to take this fight! His last 4 opponents were Top p4p fighters... He doesn't need to go out with RJJ!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 7 2008, 07:13 PM) [snapback]415046[/snapback]
Let me see DLH/Jones.

The PPV would probably cost 60 bucks!!

Jones should retire and DLH should retire..They both can't pull the trigger anymore..
PR316
Please no. They're both so past it, its ridiculous. Plus Tito is too big and can't even make 170 pounds these days, and Oscar's reputation amongst hardcore boxing fans just took a HUGE hit.

Oscar should just retire right now because of the sheer EMBARRASSMENT of losing to a small guy, while Tito has not won a fight since 2004 and didn't really look much better against Jones than Oscar did against Pacquiao so I honestly don't see the point of either guy doing anything but staying home with their wives.
mexi-cutioner
FU*K THIS S*IT!!!!!!!!!!!

But seirously, if there was a Trinidad vs De La Hoya II, realistically, how many PPV buys do u see this fight making?????
Nay_Sayer
Jesus, I wish you numb-nuts would quit your belly aching. This is boxing - the theater of the ridiculous.

Now, what do you all think the chance are that this fight gets made?

I say this fight happens no later than fall 2009....
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(mexi-cutioner @ Dec 8 2008, 12:35 AM) [snapback]415129[/snapback]
FU*K THIS S*IT!!!!!!!!!!!

But seirously, if there was a Trinidad vs De La Hoya II, realistically, how many PPV buys do u see this fight making?????

Good question.

such two shot fighters I doubt much.

This has really been the year that fans have voted with their wallets in regards to PPV's.

The 24/7 series was an interesting gimmick but it seems to be running it's course. Sure the economic situation hasn't helped but the fans are getting too savvy to eat up any old shit.

Right now boxing only has 2 viable PPv stars, one is in semi-retirement and the other should now go ahead and retire.

Hatton? Yeah he lights up in Europe but agianst a guy like Paulie how many buys did he rake up in the states?

Roy and Joke C stunk out Madison Square Garden and their numbers were appalling, and even the excellent dismantling of Pavlik by Hops hardly registred on the mainstrean fans radar and di minimal buys.

As for Pavlik, Fitz I know you don't like him but I think Arum has mismanaged him horribly and putting him in with Hops was the WORST idea of 2008. In such a major recession a real blue colour fans favourite with a decent chin, heart and limited but effective ability could have, should have, been a much bigger national and international star than he his.

Cotto was moving along nicely to PPV superstardom before being put into Arum's second biggest mistake in 2008 where he got brutally derailed by some guy called Margarito and for bizarre and possibly suicidal reasons seems intent on ruining himself forever by getting back in the ring with him in 2009.

As for Tony, PPV wise he aint no ODLH, a likeable journeyman.

What are you left with?

Dawson? Manny? whom without the right dance partner did dismal numbers against Diaz? Berto or Ward? Doubtful.

Williams a ton of ability but is he a PPv star?

In fact I'm still to be 100% convinced in PBF's ability to headline a show without having a truly significant opponent.

The only 2 guys in PPV history who were bona fide stars who could fight the postman and still draw huge numbers were Tyson and Oscar. Tyson is long since gone and now Oscar appears finished.

However if PPV becomes a thing of the past or is greatly reduced is this such a bad thing? I think boxing is a noble and very tough sport to succeed in and I wish the fighters all the best and don't begrudge them their million dollar paydays.

I do begrudge the plurality of millions they receive for fighting sub standard opposition (oh it's my mandatory). Whatever.

An elite level fighter knows he only has to fight once a year and he's set.

Dump the PPV's fighters purses become less (though hardly slave wages) with less bucks out there hopefully fighters will be keen to fight more often, make bigger fights regularly and get theirs.

Funnily enough do you know when I think this will happen? When the 3 principles of Golden boy retire from the ring for good. Then I bet they put their businessmens hats on (like they've already displayed in certain situations) and start saying to their fighters, hey we'll get you the fights but you're gonna have to take a paycut.

The fighter will say , 'why.'

And Oscar, Shane and Nard can all chime in in unison, 'because back in the day we raped the networks of all their money!'

BigG
It's time for the 90's guys to just retire.... RJ, Tito, Oscar. No reason for them to fight on. Their legacy is sealed and they are simply just piling up losses.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 8 2008, 02:17 AM) [snapback]415144[/snapback]
I actually think it could turn out better with boxing not having that one big PPV star. It could hopefully force there hand into actually making some really good fights in order to sell and not just lap us up anything that casual fans will buy. I think without a star, it could mean for better match ups.

But without a viable star that has charisma and can excite the the fans the way Tyson and DLH could, no one is going to care what's going on in boxing no matter how big the fights are. You could match any of the super bantamweight title holders to unify the title or Darchy vs another super flyweight to unify the titles and have great matches such as the ones mentioned, but no one is going to give a rats ass. In 2007-2008 ther were only 3 big fights that grabbed the attention of a great amount of the mainstream public and casual fight fans and that was Mayweather-ODLH, Mayweather-Hatton, Pacquiao-ODLH. The pattern? They involved either Mayweather of ODLH. You can say what you want about Mayweather, but it was clear that he left the game at the wrong time as he had just begun to burst onto the mainstream and had infnite potential to possibly reach the popularity Tyson and DLH had within the sport. ODLH is done and I expect he retires now or fights 1 or 2 more fights at most before he leaves the game. Cotto was one person who i felt had the potential to be the next huge thing in boxing but his loss to Margarito was a detrimental set back in terms of his growing popularity in boxing. Boxing NEEDS that big name superstar that allows the public to care about what is going on. Basketball has plenty with Lebron, Kobe etc, NFL has LT, Adrian Peterson, Peyton Manning etc, even the NHL has Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin. Without that superstar that defines the sport, boxing will struggle to maintain the interest of the public even if it is only for 2 big fights a year...
torvix2000
That's why I was really sad looking at the way DLH getting beaten like that. Those casual but paying fans must have been heartbroken. Mayweather shouldn't have left the game. I think Dela Hoya introduced him to the paying public.
mexi-cutioner
Never thought i'd say it, but boxing does need a character like mayweather to aid in helping to revive the sweeet science
D-MARV
Whether people want to admit it or not... Boxing is just not the same without Floyd
Jack 1000
Roy and Oscar should just retire. It's also pointless for Tito to come back, unless he can get some wins under his belt and not just be jumped into a big fight, lose again, retire for two years, big fight, lose again. You got to start looking at the health of these older fighters after consecutive losses like that, or the beating that Oscar took against a man who started at Flyweight.

Fuck PPV. It's that bad, The undercards wouldn't pass for bum of the month road kill in most cases. So you're paying $50-$60 for one big fight and taking a HUGE gamble as to whether or not it's gonna be any good.

Mayweather-Delahoya for action SUCKED. Oscar's a big draw because woman find that he's cute, he has that strong Latino fan base that Arum has always played to and he puts asses in the seats. But many of his big fights have not been good action wise either. The best action fight was Mosley-Delahoya I and rounds 6 and 12 of Delahoya-Quartey.

Floyd Mayweather achieved great PPV success against Delahoya ONLY because Oscar was in the other corner. Mayweather is not an exciting enough fighter to hold a big card all by himself. Even with him in terms of action we had Castillo I, where Jose actually forced Floyd to fight and the excellent KO of Hatton. Otherwise the pattern is the same. Who wants to see a "Dancing With The Stars" exhibition and have Floyd win 9-12 rounds every time out at $50-$60 a shot?

Considering the economy's current state, PPV can't go on in this way. The 24/7 if they really wanted to market this thing, don't put it on HBO. Let's say for example we go back in time to before Corrales-Castillo I. Get a commercial network to build up the fight with a 24/7 series of the two fighters showing the general public the excitement and intensity they brought to the ring. Get each fighter to sponsor the advertising products that will be used during the 24/7 show and have the boxers appear in commercials on the 24/7 show. Do a three-four part series on commercial network TV in prime time. Than show the match live in Prime Time. Could you imagine how much people would have talked about boxing if that first fight had been on Commercial TV with a proper build up?

I think just about anyone on this board as a part of this community with so much experience could market boxing shows better than any of the CEO's running the Premium Cable Networks or Pay-Pay-View. Shit, in November 1979 you had Leonard-Benitez and Antuofermo-Hagler I Live on free ABC TV, world championship fights. Now you would pay $60 for just one of those fights today on PPV, with an undercard that wouldn't even get the approval of those sanctioning Tough Man Contests.

I think PPV is dying and the economy may force the powers that be to look at other revenue from different marketing venues for boxing. Getting the commercial networks involved in the game again, even on an experimental basis may not be a bad idea, AND properly marketed, such a move could attract more people to the sport.

We can't keep resurrecting Jones, Trinidad, Delahoya, and God help us, Holyfield who somehow thinks God is going to make him Undisputed Heavyweight Champion again when their time has passed, and with the exception of Tito, health risks are a concern. Boxing isn't dying. It doesn't know how to market itself and needs new contenders to bring life back into it.

Jack
Spyder
Boxing hasn't been the same since Mike Tyson lost to Buster Douglas.
BoxingStill#1
I think every point I would make has already been made,...but I will chime in.....

DLH, in my opinion, really cannot beat ANYBODY (elite fighters) in any division,......Check history, ANYTIME Dlh has beat and worked his way past the 'sub-par' fighters of the sport, he's always fallen short over the REAL elite fighters...(Mosely, Hopkins, ect....)

That being said, and judging by his last fight, Dlh would lose to Felix Trinidad. Yes Tito lost,....but he looked very good in doing so.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Dec 8 2008, 12:24 PM) [snapback]415193[/snapback]
Considering the economy's current state, PPV can't go on in this way. The 24/7 if they really wanted to market this thing, don't put it on HBO. Let's say for example we go back in time to before Corrales-Castillo I. Get a commercial network to build up the fight with a 24/7 series of the two fighters showing the general public the excitement and intensity they brought to the ring. Get each fighter to sponsor the advertising products that will be used during the 24/7 show and have the boxers appear in commercials on the 24/7 show. Do a three-four part series on commercial network TV in prime time. Than show the match live in Prime Time. Could you imagine how much people would have talked about boxing if that first fight had been on Commercial TV with a proper build up?

Jack

But 24/7 is a HBO series.....copywrittenn and holds every right....In No WAY will this series come to a non-cable/ sat feature. How would HBO make profit off of it?....

What network, given the hype of Football, would invest any type of interenst in Boxing?.....A sport only mentioned every now and then after a big fight during the sports section of the news......

Good marketing idea,....but unrealistic....sad really
Jack 1000
But watch,

Next year, Oscar will fight someone with a name, but very limited like Chavez Jr. HBO will charge $50 for the PPV and bill it, "This Time, it's Personal." A 24/7 show will be planned with pom-pom shaking by Lampley. Given the state of how bad Oscar looked against Manny it would not be a total shock of Oscar had trouble with even Chavez Jr. (Who knows, even Chavez Jr. could win if Oscar looks like he looked Saturday night.) Oscar will win a perhaps very controversial split decision, getting beat up by a guy who is only big by name recognition. Get another big fight, and get the shit kicked out of him again.

Oscar's got the biggest ego since Ray Leonard. And he'll turn into Holyfield, not knowing when to quit, but being too stubborn that he can't stay away.

Jack
BoxingStill#1
lol......like I said dude,....its sad...but so true..
Jack 1000
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Dec 8 2008, 11:47 AM) [snapback]415196[/snapback]
But 24/7 is a HBO series.....copywrittenn and holds every right....In No WAY will this series come to a non-cable/ sat feature. How would HBO make profit off of it?....

What network, given the hype of Football, would invest any type of interenst in Boxing?.....A sport only mentioned every now and then after a big fight during the sports section of the news......

Good marketing idea,....but unrealistic....sad really

Oh yea,

I know 24/7 is copywritten by HBO and could not be used by another broacast party without HBO's consent. I am just saying, do a preview show that would be similar to the 24/7 series and make it a 2-3 part thing, or even as little as a one part documentary to build up the match to be shown on live commercial broadcast TV. ABC in the 60's-70's did specials with Ali and Cosell like that all the time. The commercial broadcast network, showing the live fight, would buy up all preview show copyrights.

Jack
buford54
Did anyone ever really want to see the rematch of Tito/DLH?
The only real selling point was the controversy of the first decision.
At this point it would be absolutely meaningless. Both guys coming off of losses and clearly past their prime...it would be about as meaningful to boxing as Mike Tyson's exhibition fight against Cory "T-Rex" Sanders.
They might as well spar w/ head gear on and show it on TV.
kidbazooka1
Tito didn't look no where near as bad as DLH did last night. Yes he was fighting a past his oprime Jones but for coming off such a long layoff and also fighing a much bigger guy Tito looked OK.

This fight will only sell to the casual fans but if it does come off Tito by destruction within 5.
King Eugene
QUOTE(alaganza @ Dec 7 2008, 08:11 PM) [snapback]415063[/snapback]

LMAO...you got my stomach hurting over here.

I'm a Jones fan but I think Oscar would get the decision cause I think he would outwork Jones. Sad to say.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 7 2008, 08:50 PM) [snapback]415071[/snapback]

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
mrwigi
why..... and for what....
King Eugene
Back to the topic at hand. It should be a retirement fight for the both of them. It would be one good slugfest I believe.

Hell put Vargas and DLH in there at 160.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.