Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pacquiao's future: who, why, and the outcome
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
stillperpetuallygrooving
The aforementioned fighters along with juan manuel marquez should all be considered for pacmans next opponent....I PERSONALLY think the best matchup for the fans would be COTTO/PACMAN...EVERYONE is talking about pacman and hatton, and no one has even thought of cotto and mosely(especially if he beats margarito, or puts up a damn good fight), or maybe in the next few years even berto assuming he stays unbeaten and fights big named, respectable fighters...marquez really deserves his shot at manny, should have gotten it way before now, because he really did piece manny up pretty bad...BUT the roach wants no part of him because he knows his guy got lucky twice, REALLY FUCKING LUCKY in part deux...I think that Manny should start fighting at 140 or 135 to see if he can win some belts there, and from then on take two or three fights per year, one or two TITLE DEFENSES/UNIFICATION matches for his chosen weight division, and then one or two of the big time catchweight money making type fights...manny still has AT LEAST another three to five years of full time fighting left(at least 3 fights per year)......

SOO, what are ya'lls thoughts on manny vs. the all the fighters that i just named? tell me what you think the "best man in boxing" should/will do for his next fight(s)? break it down for me.
Box in Hand
There is no way, Roach is putting Pac in with Cotto. Come on yall, yes Manny put on a great show but it was against an ageing fighter who drained himself to the point of death. Pac needs to go after Hatton who just called him out or Mayweather which is the tougher of the two.
BigG
Cotto/Pac would be great. Also would love to see Margarito-Pac.

I know they sound crazy but Manny looked THAT good against DLH.
BigG
Well Manny's last fight was at 147..and Marg/Cotto are the bosses of 147....so why not? I'd love to see Manny try them. To be honest, Ithink hatton is easy prey for Pacquiao despite all the heart he has.
BigG
Margarito would just eat whatever Pac had to dish out and trap him on the ropes and drill him with uppercuts and body shots. That would be quite a fight. lol

Fitz, I don't think I'm easily manipulated. Like I said, Manny looked fantastic at that weight meaning he brought up ALL his speed. Manny is not a small guy. He wasn't a small guy at 130/135. He's been coming into fights at 147 and now 149 against DLH. He is the same size as Floyd to me.

All I said was I'd like to see him try them..never said he'd beat them.
neophyte7
Manny Pac is 5"6 PBF 5"8--- Cotto about 5"7... bottom line-- stop talking like Pac should stay away from Cotto yet consider Floyd?? Cotto may never be the same after the ass kicking he took and if Demarcus Corley had Cotto out as well as Ricardo Torres on two weeks notice, I see no reason why the new version of pac cannot handle Cotto-- I mean, Pac has more defensive moves than Cotto will ever have--
Douchebag
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Dec 8 2008, 04:47 PM) [snapback]415236[/snapback]
Manny Pac is 5"6 PBF 5"8--- Cotto about 5"7... bottom line-- stop talking like Pac should stay away from Cotto yet consider Floyd?? Cotto may never be the same after the ass kicking he took and if Demarcus Corley had Cotto out as well as Ricardo Torres on two weeks notice, I see no reason why the new version of pac cannot handle Cotto-- I mean, Pac has more defensive moves than Cotto will ever have--

Please put down the pipe.
Box in Hand
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Dec 8 2008, 03:47 PM) [snapback]415236[/snapback]

Pac is not God. He has flaws and Cotto would eat his lunch. Floyd would pick him apart and Margarito would give him brain damage. Best fight for him is Hatton. Watch the De La Hoya fight again, Manny got hit a few time and it did move him. So what would Cotto do?
stillperpetuallygrooving
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 8 2008, 04:34 PM) [snapback]415229[/snapback]
Margarito would just eat whatever Pac had to dish out and trap him on the ropes and drill him with uppercuts and body shots. That would be quite a fight. lol

Fitz, I don't think I'm easily manipulated. Like I said, Manny looked fantastic at that weight meaning he brought up ALL his speed. Manny is not a small guy. He wasn't a small guy at 130/135. He's been coming into fights at 147 and now 149 against DLH. He is the same size as Floyd to me.

All I said was I'd like to see him try them..never said he'd beat them.

i think what manny proved is that SPEED IS POWER AND SIZE...that being said, manny has the speed, and endurance to NOT GET CAUGHT AGAINST THE ROPES against the bigger guys... i think he has a very real chance of beating thte bigger WW's....he has the rare uncanny ability to constantly jump, dance, and run aroud, all the while throwing deadly, powerful, accurate, and lightening fast combinations...he could easily win a points decision over margarito, and i doubt he could knoick cotto out, but he could have him in trouble, and definetely ring his head pretty good...

ask any boxer what is better speed or power and they will tell you SPEED IS POWER...

size and power are not what can beat manny, DEFENSE, COUNTERPUNCHING, and EQUAL SPEED TO MANNY is what will beat him...juan manuel marquez showed once, and than re-emphasized that his style of boxing is the only way so far to put the heat on manny...and mayweather is a bigger, better version of JMM... his style and skill set, despite being more defense orientated, mirrors those of JMM.....

oh yeah and i think hatton stands a decent chance of beating manny....i really wanna see berto/cotto, though...thats one of my dream matches.
neophyte7
Ye are all Gods, children of the most high.... Bible--- any way don't bank on Cotto being able to do shit in the ring again-- he will be in decline as he has had his brain shook often-- margarito took the life out of him... LOL Cotto has been on queer street by lesser fighters than pac... see Corley and Torres... Man Cotto is about as flat footed as an Alabama porch monkey... pac would make his ass look silly
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 8 2008, 09:17 PM) [snapback]415217[/snapback]
Cotto would smash Pacquiao. The only welter fight out there for Pacquiao is Mayweather and even that can be fought at 140.

I don't know why everyone is so fucking high on Cotto. He is not all that & a bag of chips. I have considered him suspect since he was at 140.

Pac is faster, smarter IMO & has far far better movement that Cotto. Sure if Cotto trapped Pac on the ropes he would be in for heavy going no doubt but I think it would be a harder task than many think.

Pac has excellent lateral movement & is very good & getting in the killzone & out.

Lets not kid ourselves Cotto is no master boxer/counterpuncher like Marquez not even close.

Cotto is no granite chinned monster who throws 100 punches a round & like the terminator will not stop coming. Some other fighter at 47 is like that cool.gif . Cotto is a guy who has decent power, reasonable speed, average skills & a slightly below average chin.

A very good fight to make but I think the question is who deserves a shot at the P4P king & who can afford the entry fee?
Box in Hand
QUOTE(stillperpetuallygrooving @ Dec 8 2008, 03:55 PM) [snapback]415241[/snapback]
i think what manny proved is that SPEED IS POWER AND SIZE...that being said, manny has the speed, and endurance to NOT GET CAUGHT AGAINST THE ROPES against the bigger guys... i think he has a very real chance of beating thte bigger WW's....he has the rare uncanny ability to constantly jump, dance, and run aroud, all the while throwing deadly, powerful, accurate, and lightening fast combinations...he could easily win a points decision over margarito, and i doubt he could knoick cotto out, but he could have him in trouble, and definetely ring his head pretty good...

ask any boxer what is better speed or power and they will tell you SPEED IS POWER...

size and power are not what can beat manny, DEFENSE, COUNTERPUNCHING, and EQUAL SPEED TO MANNY is what will beat him...juan manuel marquez showed once, and than re-emphasized that his style of boxing is the only way so far to put the heat on manny...and mayweather is a bigger, better version of JMM... his style and skill set, despite being more defense orientated, mirrors those of JMM.....

oh yeah and i think hatton stands a decent chance of beating manny....i really wanna see berto/cotto, though...thats one of my dream matches.

Good analysis.
D-MARV
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 8 2008, 04:58 PM) [snapback]415245[/snapback]
I don't know why everyone is so fucking high on Cotto. He is not all that & a bag of chips. I have considered him suspect since he was at 140.

Pac is faster, smarter IMO & has far far better movement that Cotto. Sure if Cotto trapped Pac on the ropes he would be in for heavy going no doubt but I think it would be a harder task than many think.

Pac has excellent lateral movement & is very good & getting in the killzone & out.

Lets not kid ourselves Cotto is no master boxer/counterpuncher like Marquez not even close.

Cotto is no granite chinned monster who throws 100 punches a round & like the terminator will not stop coming. Some other fighter at 47 is like that cool.gif . Cotto is a guy who has decent power, reasonable speed, average skills & a slightly below average chin.

A very good fight to make but I think the question is who deserves a shot at the P4P king & who can afford the entry fee?

Pacquiao needs to fight Hatton or Mayweather if he's gonna fight @140 or higher.

If not, I want to see Pacquiao-JMM III
BigG
Well the point is, Margarito right now is the boss at 147 and he is going to beat shit out of Shane. Cotto is right behind him. And Pacquiao was pretty much the same fighter at 147 and that's what matters. And don't forget Clottey.
Box in Hand
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Dec 8 2008, 03:56 PM) [snapback]415244[/snapback]
Ye are all Gods, children of the most high.... Bible--- any way don't bank on Cotto being able to do shit in the ring again-- he will be in decline as he has had his brain shook often-- margarito took the life out of him... LOL Cotto has been on queer street by lesser fighters than pac... see Corley and Torres... Man Cotto is about as flat footed as an Alabama porch monkey... pac would make his ass look silly

What the $#$#? Man, stop smokin bible paper and get it right. Yes Manny is good but would not win against Cotto or Mayweather.
neophyte7
Mayweather no-- flat footed- -brain dead from taking shots Cotto= hell yes
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 8 2008, 10:01 PM) [snapback]415247[/snapback]
Pacquiao needs to fight Hatton or Mayweather if he's gonna fight @140 or higher.

If not, I want to see Pacquiao-JMM III

Can JMM afford the new entry fee for Pacman theme park? I know Hatton can.
BigG
Hatton is easy work for Pacquiao. This will be a blood bath like Pacquiao-Diaz was. Hatton's style will get him abused but I think he will put up much more of a fight than Oscar did and go out swinging.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 8 2008, 10:25 PM) [snapback]415256[/snapback]
Hatton is easy work for Pacquiao. This will be a blood bath like Pacquiao-Diaz was.

I don't totally agree with that. Hatton when fit & ready at 140 has very very good footspeed & can box very well when he wants to.

I would give the edge to Pac but you cannot write Hatton off IMO.
BigG
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 8 2008, 10:29 PM) [snapback]415257[/snapback]
I don't totally agree with that. Hatton when fit & ready at 140 has very very good footspeed & can box very well when he wants to.

I would give the edge to Pac but you cannot write Hatton off IMO.

I just don't see how Hatton can beat Pac but like I said, Hatton will make it alot more competitive than DLH because of his own relentless. We'll see. For sure they are fighting next year.

I think one of the toughest fights for Pacquiao is still Marquez. I had Marquez beating Pacquiao by 2 points in fight two.
Big Slim Sweet
I think Pacman-Hatton will be next. I think it will be a very exciting but mostly one-sided fight with Pac painting the ring red with Ricky's blood and brutally stopping him late.

It will be terrific to watch. Even though Hatton got flattened by Floyd he actually put up a much tougher fight against him last year than did Oscar. And I expect him to put up a much tougher fight against Pacquaio next year than Oscar did as well.

After that I can't imagine Money not coming out of retirement to fight Manny.

No way does Arum put Pac in with Margarito. He's not letting Tony fuck everything up for him again.

Pacquaio vs. Cotto would be interesting too. I think it'd be very competitive. Cotto is solid but not so special.

Hate to say it but I don't really see a threematch with JMM even in the equation anymore.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 8 2008, 05:44 PM) [snapback]415261[/snapback]
I think Pacman-Hatton will be next. I think it will be a very exciting but mostly one-sided fight with Pac painting the ring red with Ricky's blood and brutally stopping him late.

It will be terrific to watch. Even though Hatton got flattened by Floyd he actually put up a much tougher fight against him last year than did Oscar. And I expect him to put up a much tougher fight against Pacquaio next year than Oscar did as well.

After that I can't imagine Money not coming out of retirement to fight Manny.

No way does Arum put Pac in with Margarito. He's not letting Tony fuck everything up for him again.

Pacquaio vs. Cotto would be interesting too. I think it'd be very competitive. Cotto is solid but not so special.

Hate to say it but I don't really see a threematch with JMM even in the equation anymore.

Not unless JMM cleans out 135 and 140
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 8 2008, 03:26 PM) [snapback]415222[/snapback]
lol.

Biggeorge, I can guarantee that you scared your parents a lot. You would have been a kidnappers dream, so easily convinced and manipulated.

LMAO!!! fitz that was classic... manny pacs fans wanna see him get terrorized by these welterweights...lol... margarito and cotto would both tear him apart and the only reason mayweather is a "safe" fight for him is because he's not a puncher at welterweight but you have to know that fighting marg. coot or mayweather is not like fighting a shot dried up dela hoya... great win for manny and yes he was a killer in there but he was a killer against a guy that coldnt respond back... marg. and cotto's style destroy manny... mayweather pecks and shoulder rolls and counters away at him all night long for a comfortable dec. or late round knockout... manny needs to go fight hatton at 140 and that is gonna be a good fight in itself.. manny wont do to hatton what he did to hoya.. hatton is not a punk fighter.. he brings it 100% everytime out... 140 should be the highest manny fights except for special occasions like a fight with floyd or shall i say mosely somehow gets past marg... if he fights at 147 it needs to be against the smaller welters...
Mean Mister Mustard
Miguel Cotto is being vastly underrated. This guy is a beast and it is bad luck that he had to encounter an even bigger beast in Margarito. Cotto has painful punches, decent speed, timing and defense. THe guy can box. He would present to Pacquiao many challenges that DLH didn't. Body punching, counterpunching and quicker (not faster) hands. Cotto at this stage is a full level above DLH provided the Margarito fight didn't fuck him over.

But forget Cotto, I want to see Pacquiao fight Mayweather or go back down to 135. I am not interested in seeing a Hatton fight.
BigG
I never said Pac would beat Marg, Cotto, or Floyd. I think Margarito would be too big and Floyd too skilled. And Cotto might be too much. All I said is I'd like to see Pac take them on. I think any boxing fan would. Fact is, Pac is a Welterweight.
kidbazooka1
I give Manny a good chance at beating Berto, Mayweather and Hatton. He'll easly beat Cambell and Mosley but will get beat badly by the rest though.
thehype
Win/Win/Loss/Win/Win/Win/Win/Win/Loss

Yeah...that's right...I said it...you suckas betta get on the PacMan express baby

WOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

laugh.gif

On a side note, I'm anxious to see how much damage that Margarito fight left on Cotto...you can bank on Arum letting Margarito wear Cotto out a little more before he ever thinks about putting him in with Pacquiao.

I'm gonna say the Hatton fight is what's next for Pacquiao...it was pretty much signed, sealed and delivered before Pacquiao even fought Oscar.

Don't bank on Floyd coming back until AFTER those two fight.
mrwigi
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 8 2008, 04:22 PM) [snapback]415220[/snapback]
I think people are putting a little too much emphasis on a fight where one guy literally did nothing and took the beating. The fight proved to me that Manny is a beast, was able to hurt a big guy, but nothing was answered other than that. That's why I am still not convinced that Pacquiao steam rolls Hatton.

i would have to agree. and a fighter with mayweather (though i would like to see) is just not going to happen right now.
stillperpetuallygrooving
Miguel Cotto is being vastly underrated. This guy is a beast and it is bad luck that he had to encounter an even bigger beast in Margarito. Cotto has painful punches, decent speed, timing and defense. THe guy can box. He would present to Pacquiao many challenges that DLH didn't. Body punching, counterpunching and quicker (not faster) hands. Cotto at this stage is a full level above DLH provided the Margarito fight didn't fuck him over.

Ha for once i agree with mean mister mustard....cotto would still be the king had he not encountered margarito, and if cotto could have survived the last two rounds the decision could have gone either way really...i mean people act like margarito just ran through him, and although he kinda did cotto was still busting him up, winning rounds...it just came down to chins and cotto got suckered into standing and trading with margarito...you all have to admit cotto looked damn good up until the last few rounds....the more i re-watch the fight the more that i think cotto has a very real shot of beating margarito in a future fight...whoever said he has average at best boxing skills is wrong...

Also, damarvelous1 I agree with what you said about hatton, indeed he is a beast when he comes in ready and prepared at 140...VERY underated footspeed and even handspeed to an extent...malignaggi is no pushover and he had some pretty damn fast hands and ricky was beating him to the punch all night...that being said, i would not be suprised if ricky hatton did beat him, either way, i wouldnt bet my left nut on either fighter with how impressed i was with both of their most recent performances...

you guys are probably right about margarito destroying shane mosely, and i hope he does becaues i like margarito more than shane, BUT i just have a feeling that mosely is gonna be sticking and moving all night long to a points victory...you guys cant deny that it is a good fight to bet on, the odds will definetely be against shane, so why not throw down some loot on ole sugar shane? haha remember you heard it here first...

stillperpetuallygrooving
oh yeah i also STRONGLY STRONGLY agree with whoever said that they are THE MOST interested in the JMM trilogy...the guy HAS to get a decision this time if the fight mirrors their second bout...but yeah hatton/pac is pretty much a done deal for the spring or early summer at wembley....damn what a fucking atmosphere and fight it will be...i might have to make the trip
BrutalBodyShots
George, Pac is NOT a welterweight.

No welters step in the ring at 148 pounds. No welters could dehydrate and make 130-135 pounds like Pacquiao can.

Pac isn't even a blown up lightweight... he IS a lightweight that isn't dehydrating to make weight and is just fighting in the division that suits his hydrated weight.

Cotto and Margarito would step in the ring at 160-165 against a 148 pound Pacquiao. Unlike Oscar they wouldn't give up their size/strength. I don't give Pacquiao a chance in hell against either of those guys.

Method
Id take Cotto over Paq for one glaring reason other than the other advantages (power, size, durability), MIGUEL COTTO HAS THE ABILITY TO TIME OPPONENTS. I have never seen anyone time Shane as well as Cotto did. Sure, Forrest beat that ass twice, but he did it with his reach advantage, setting everything up w the jab...And Wink does what Wink does, turtling up and then jabbing to death.

But against Mosley, Cotto was out speeded, and just timed the fuck out of Shane. Even though I though Sugar Sham edged Cotto by a round, I think Cotto has what it takes to take Paq into deep water and edge him.
Lil-lightsout
I will wait till Pac's next fight before saying he can beat Cotto, Margarito, Berto, and so on. He looked spectacular against Oscar, but we all know about Oscars weight and all the other excuses. Heck, did Oscar land one meaniful power punch the whole fight? IMO I think Manny should stick to Jr. Welterweight or Lightweight. Unless there is another HUGE payday at welterweight, I would stay away from those guys. Calzaghe got very little credit for beating Jones(shot fighter), and something definately was wrong with Oscar. I am not trying to take away from Manny's victory, because he looked phenomonal in all aspects of his game, and I even thought Oscar was going to be too big and strong for Manny. But next I just want to see Manny in there with say a Hatton, or for me personally I have ALWAYS wanted to see him fight Joan Guzman. Lets see him in there with someone younger in there prime who can fight back, kind of like Marquez who gave him two terrific tough fights.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 9 2008, 03:32 AM) [snapback]415340[/snapback]
Pac isn't even a blown up lightweight... he IS a lightweight that isn't dehydrating to make weight and is just fighting in the division that suits his hydrated weight.

So he is a natural welter then. You just proved the point BBS. You think the old timers would gain 15 lbs on the day of a fight? Lets be real.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 9 2008, 03:53 AM) [snapback]415344[/snapback]
and something definately was wrong with Oscar.

There was nothing wrong with Oscar besides the fact he got pimp slapped a couple of hundred times. He looked good & felt good during his camp.
BigG
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 9 2008, 03:32 AM) [snapback]415340[/snapback]

No welters step in the ring at 148 pounds. No welters could dehydrate and make 130-135 pounds like Pacquiao can.

Cotto and Margarito would step in the ring at 160-165 against a 148 pound Pacquiao. Unlike Oscar they wouldn't give up their size/strength. I don't give Pacquiao a chance in hell against either of those guys.

Yeah Brutal but Pac weighed in over 140 and came in at 149 against DLH..heavier than Mayweather did against Hatton by about a pound...he looked healthy and his last fight was at Welterweight...he looked as fast as he did at 135..therefore he is a Welterweight.

I agree, Margarito would be a very brutal fight for Pacquiao. It would probably be a re-run of the Cotto fight except end earlier.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 8 2008, 10:51 PM) [snapback]415342[/snapback]
Id take Cotto over Paq for one glaring reason other than the other advantages (power, size, durability), MIGUEL COTTO HAS THE ABILITY TO TIME OPPONENTS. I have never seen anyone time Shane as well as Cotto did. Sure, Forrest beat that ass twice, but he did it with his reach advantage, setting everything up w the jab...And Wink does what Wink does, turtling up and then jabbing to death.

But against Mosley, Cotto was out speeded, and just timed the fuck out of Shane. Even though I though Sugar Sham edged Cotto by a round, I think Cotto has what it takes to take Paq into deep water and edge him.

Exaclty. Plus he has power and he will go to the body. Marquez hurt Pacquiao to the body in their rematch imagine what Cotto would do.

Pacquiao looked sensational but he should at least drop down to 140. 147 is too big for him but because of his speed and elusiveness he'll be hard to catch cleanly.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 8 2008, 04:22 PM) [snapback]415220[/snapback]
I think people are putting a little too much emphasis on a fight where one guy literally did nothing and took the beating. The fight proved to me that Manny is a beast, was able to hurt a big guy, but nothing was answered other than that. That's why I am still not convinced that Pacquiao steam rolls Hatton.

I'm with you on this one. I've always picked Hatton over Manny for several different reasons. One being how will he handle all the mauling and wrestling that Hatton will do. Hatton and DLH both are the bigger guy but I think Hatton will fight more like the bigger guy instead of standing there like a punching bag. Plus I think Floyd Sr. is a better trainer than Nacho and will have a better game plan. But thats just my Opinion.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pac-Man vs. Zab or Hatton vs. Zab as a tune-up(yes I said tune-up) fight. I think any other natural WW would embaress Pac-Man and make his win against DLH not look so good.

As far as Mayweather, Pac-Man and Roach put together isn't smart enough to beat this guy.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 8 2008, 04:26 PM) [snapback]415223[/snapback]
Pacquiao would seriously receive a beat down by Margarito, I don't know how you can think Pacquiao stands a chance.

The only chance I see Pac-Man beating Margarito is by sticking and moving and by no means getting caught or trapped on the ropes. For one he is not going to hurt Margarito like he hurt DLH but if Margarito trap him or catch his ass with a couple of good shots...give this dude a pillow and a blanket cause its nighty nighty time.

Another thing, isn't Margarito like 5'11" or something like that? Boy that would be a nightmare for Pac-Man.
The Original MrFactor
Hmmm... I'd love to see Cotto/Pacquiao now. However, I think Hatton will get his chin checked first in a huge PPV fight. I think Manny KO's Hatton. Hatton will be getting tagged all nite long. If powder puff punching Mayweather can KO Ricky, I think Pacquiao can too, but much sooner than the 10th. I think Pac stops Ricky Hatton in under 8 rounds. Hatton will be walking right into powerpunches all nite long. If DLH couldnt deal with his speed, Hatton will get huge doses of the same. He will look very amateurish that nite... Pac KO 7 over Hatton

I think most guys at WW may be too big for Pacquiao accept for Cotto and Berto. Either of those would be a war. Cotto and Berto may be somewhat "chinny." Manny's power and equal size would be enough to potentially effect the outcome of the fight. As far as a prediction for each fight. I think Cotto drops Manny and eventually stops him with a fierce bodyshot after walking through hell. It would be the exact opposite of Cotto/Margarito. Cotto is the more "settled" guy at 47, so I'd say he's the bigger more powerful guy. I also think Cotto has enough speed to make it interesting. i just think his combination of speed and power at 147 will be enough to not only keep up with manny, but stop Manny. He batters little guys with hard body shots. manny would get a taste... Cotto by KO after WWIII...

I think Manny can beat Berto. Forbes had his moments against Berto, like he did against Oscar. Berto and Oscar didnt have to account for Forbes power, so their defense wasnt really exposed as a liability. With Manny, Berto will get hit alot and with hard shots. He'll be bloodied, and bruised. Manny stops Berto in the Championship rounds.

Against Margarito... See Cotto/Margarito. Manny would need a lead pipe filled with pennies in order to hurt Margarito. Manny said against Oscar, he didnt worry too much about bodypunches. Any time he gets in close to margarito, Tony will sneak in a hard body shot to wear manny down. Margarito is just too big for Manny. Margarito's liability will always be speed. The trouble is, these little guys have to get close to him in order to hit him. Its like trying to handfeed a guppy to a Greatwhite. Thats where Margarito wins. Cotto hit Margarito all day, but that plays into Margarito's hands because Cotto always had to get close enough to hit Tony and he took one or two bodyshots while escaping from Tony. After 6 rounds those escapes for manny will be fewer and far between. Margarito slows Pacquiao down and stops him in 8 rounds.

Clottey is also a bit too big for manny. I think Clottey is very good defensively. Takes a good shot and had good offensive skills. Not really great in the power department, but can hit solidly and make you think about it. He's a great counter puncher. I think he'd beat Manny up for 12 rounds and win an SD. Manny will look like the guy doing all the work in there, but Clottey will be giving probably more than he receives... Clottey SD12

Mayweather... I said after the DLH fight that he'd probably KO Mayweather. I think its possible, but unlikely. I think Floyd has a solid chin. Mayweather against Hatton and even DLH was content to try to pick off shots while having his back to the ropes. Hatton was too stupid to take advantage. DLH just flat out cant beat Floyd to the punch. Pacquiao is a southpaw with great skills and movement, is much faster than either and will be catching Floyd on the ropes. He'd be on Floyd from the opening bell. Floyd will not be able to potshot Manny and walk away with a win! As much as people talk about Floyds movement, Manny moves very well too.Floyd would be fighting a guy who is much faster and dynamic than himself. He'd have trouble winning because manny would be by far, the more active guy in the ring. Floyd was down 4-0 against Zab Judah, then Judah stopped throwing punches. Manny has much more discipline and is a much smarter fighter than Judah. Floyd could be down 6-0 against Pac. Did i mention he's a southpaw too(like Judah). I know many Mayweather lovers will disagree, but I think manny can take Floyd 8 rounds to four or something to that effect... Manny D12 oevr Mayweather.
Douchebag
The very few time that HOYA tagged Manny he felt it. Manny cannot take a consistent barrage from true WW so he wont be able to fight Cotto because he will be able to get to him. He may be able to outmaneuver Marg but I don't the Roach is going to take that chance with his boy. Floyd is the best fight for Manny at Welter because Floyd really won't go after him unless he is trying to prove a point.
D-MARV
Can you guys really picture Pac in with Margarito?

laugh.gif
BigG
Agreed. Even though I think Mosley was a bit faster, the thing that surprised me the most was on that night, Mosley didn't seem that much quicker than Cotto. I was actually surprised by Cotto's speed. He has some underrated speed, speed just tends to look a lot more impressive when they are thrown long, I don't find speed as evident when fighters throw them really close, I think Cotto is pretty fast. Not that you said he isn't, but just threw that out there. Agreed with the rest of the post, though I slightly disagree about Cotto taking Pacquiao into deep water and edging him. I think Cotto just beats him.

And Zab Judah is also a pretty fast fighter; arguably faster than Shane and maybe as fast as Pacquiao and Cotto's defense looked good vs. Zab (aside from getting rocked by 2 shots). I know Zab is an idiot but his speed, talent, power is comparable to Pac's at 147. And he is a lefty too. But the comparisons end there as Manny is smarter, more conidtioned, and has more heart. I think Cotto-Pacquiao would be a GREAT fight with alot of 2 way action; but I think Cotto's a bit underrated in technical skills and his punches will have its effect on Manny more than De La Hoya's and Marquez' punches did.

And Pac against Margarito... Sooner or later Pacquiao's back would touch the ropes and Marg would punish him.
thehype
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 8 2008, 10:51 PM) [snapback]415342[/snapback]

Then again, maybe we're giving Cotto too much credit for his win over Shane. After all, Mayorga was doing a pretty good job of timing Shane too.

laugh.gif

On a serious note though, I gotta see how much that fight with Margarito took out of Cotto...that was the type of beatdown that could change a fighter for good.
eternalfighter
ALL this talk about Paq vs any welter is nonsense. this fight with DLH was a scam where they both made millions especialy DLH. Paq is one of the best in his weight classes but anyone like Margarito, Cotto, Clottey ect would destroy him. stop buying into the bullshit that only increaces the corruption. stop buying into DLH and others like him that will destroy the sport for money!
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 8 2008, 09:32 PM) [snapback]415340[/snapback]

Agreed
Tha Docta
manny vs holyfield anyone?? would this be the ass kicking that the old man needs to finally embarrass himself into retirement?
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 8 2008, 10:55 PM) [snapback]415345[/snapback]
So he is a natural welter then. You just proved the point BBS. You think the old timers would gain 15 lbs on the day of a fight? Lets be real.

Incorrect. By TODAY'S STANDARDS a natural welter isn't someone that fights at the welterweight limit. Just look at all the other welters out there. Margarito, Mosley, Cotto, Williams, Clottey, Berto etc. None of them are within a pound or two of the limit when they fight. The only guys that are close to the limit on fight night are guys like Judah, Mayweather etc that have bulked up to fight at the higher weight. Pacquiao falls into this category.

Let me put it this way. Today's standard for anything other than the heavyweight division is to dehydrate to make weight and fight rehydrated weighing more. Pacquiao's weight regime with respect to welter is the same mentality that a heavyweight has - it doesn't matter. So he's not a real welter.

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 8 2008, 11:25 PM) [snapback]415352[/snapback]
Yeah Brutal but Pac weighed in over 140 and came in at 149 against DLH..heavier than Mayweather did against Hatton by about a pound...he looked healthy and his last fight was at Welterweight...he looked as fast as he did at 135..therefore he is a Welterweight.

LOL, don't compare Pacquiao to another artificial "welter" in Mayweather. Pacquiao did the same exact thing Mayweather did... that is bulk up and put on weight to fight in a higher division for a higher paycheck. That doesn't suddenly make it a "natural" weight.

Yeah Pac weighed in above 140. Same way Margarito or Cotto could weigh in above 160 if they didn't dehydrate themselves and call themselves "middleweights." Pac weighing in at 142 means he COULD have dehydrated to 135 easy, even 130. Guys that can dehydrate to 130-135 are not "welterweights." Unless of course you suggest that all the other welters out there like Clottey, Williams, Berto, Cotto, Margarito, Mosley etc could all make 130-135. Not a chance in hell.

So if your argument is that Pacquiao is a welterweight, your argument must be at the same time that all of those other guys are NOT welterweights; you can't have it both ways.
hitman harding
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 8 2008, 06:25 PM) [snapback]415256[/snapback]
Hatton is easy work for Pacquiao. This will be a blood bath like Pacquiao-Diaz was. Hatton's style will get him abused but I think he will put up much more of a fight than Oscar did and go out swinging.

Manny will get killed by Hatton. Hatton will walk Manny down all night and punish the phillipino into submission.
Manny has a better chance against Judah
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.